Author Topic: Tennessee atheists win right to distribute literature after schools give Bibles  (Read 88805 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
why do you keep repeating the same thing as if it some how supports the claim which you've already admitted was wrong

you need to learn when to fold

who gives a shit is Christians are only 1/3 of the population?

why don't you bump my post from 2007 again so that I can comment again on how some neuroscientists are starting to consider the fundamentalist mindset as a treatable mental illness

then you can pretend that you didn't see any of that....again... and ask me the same questions all over again

If the following is still your personal belief...

Besides, my personal belief is anyone who holds a fundamentalist belief in any religion is mentally ill (for real) which again makes for a pointless discussion

...then why are you still having a discussion with me if you believe that I have a mental illness and that having a discussion with me is pointless?  You seem just as mentally ill as you believe all theists are.

How do you know that your sources are 100% accurate?  Why do you keep avoiding my questions?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
If the following is still your personal belief...

...then why are you still having a discussion with me if you believe that I have a mental illness and that having a discussion with me is pointless?  You seem just as mentally ill as you believe all theists are.

How do you know that your sources are 100% accurate?  Why do you keep avoiding my questions?

That's the first good point you've made in this thread

Let's do a quick review

This thread was about a group of atheist being able to leave literature in a school where Gideons were also leaving bibles

By the 2nd page the consensus was pretty much that neither group should be doing anything at a public school

The thread rambled on for a couple of more pages of the usual diversion that happens on this board and then you made the absurd claim that "the world population is mostly christian".   When challenged on this you provided a link to CIA Factbook claiming that Christians were 33% of the population
You actually provided proof that your own claim was not correct

after many back and forths with me trying to explain elementary school math you finally conceded that your statement that world population was mostly christian was probably incorrect

Again, I simply pointed out that there was no probably about it.

Then you decided to use the angle of suggesting that the data is wrong (including the data that you provided) as if that somehow helps support your original point

To the question you asked about how do I know whether the data is 100% correct the obvious answer is that it's most certainly not 100% correct.    How could it be.
Do you think we have the ability to even count the world population down to the person much less categorize them by religion?

You seem to think if we can't do that then somehow your original claim gains support by this lack of 100% accuracy.   Ignoring of course the many many different estimates that put Christian at ~ 30% give or take a few points.   Even just a simple population count of Muslim, Hindu and Buddhist countries would show that the world is not mostly Christian

So back to my claim of 7 years ago that the fundie mingsight is akin to mental illness and therefor trying to have conversation with such a person is usually pointless....well I think that has been well documented in this thread

Necrosis

• Getbig V

Let's do a quick review

This thread was about a group of atheist being able to leave literature in a school where Gideons were also leaving bibles

By the 2nd page the consensus was pretty much that neither group should be doing anything at a public school

The thread rambled on for a couple of more pages of the usual diversion that happens on this board and then you made the absurd claim that "the world population is mostly christian".   When challenged on this you provided a link to CIA Factbook claiming that Christians were 33% of the population

after many back and forths with me trying to explain elementary school math you finally conceded that your statement that world population was mostly christian was probably incorrect

Then you decided to use the angle of suggesting that the data is wrong (including the data that you provided) as if that somehow helps support your original point

To the question you asked about how do I know whether the data is 100% correct the obvious answer is that it's most certainly not 100% correct.    How could it be.
Do you think we have the ability to even count the world population down to the person much less categorize them by religion?

You seem to think if we can't do that then somehow your original claim gains support by this lack of 100% accuracy.   Ignoring of course the many many different estimates that put Christian at ~ 30% give or take a few points.   Even just a simple population count of Muslim, Hindu and Buddhist countries would show that the world is not mostly Christian

So back to my claim of 7 years ago that the fundie mingsight is akin to mental illness and therefor trying to have conversation with such a person is usually pointless....well I think that has been well documented in this thread

Great post!

It certainly falls under the category of delusion. It is by definition irrational and delusional.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox

Let's do a quick review

Wow, not only are you still talking to me, but you are now writing books to me.  Why is that, Straw Man?  You are as mentally ill as you believe I am.

How do you know your sources are 100% accurate?  Why do you continue to avoid my questions?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Wow, not only are you still talking to me, but you are now writing books to me.  Why is that, Straw Man?  You are as mentally ill as you believe I am.

How do you know your sources are 100% accurate?  Why do you continue to avoid my questions?

lack of reading comprehension much?

I answered your moronic question in my last post

I will keep responding to you as long as it continues to interest and entertain me to point out the futility in trying to engage a fundie such as yourself in a conversation.  It illustrates that the point I made 7 years ago is still true today. 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox

I will keep responding to you as long as it continues to interest and entertain me to point out the futility in trying to engage a fundie such as yourself in a conversation.  It illustrates that the point I made 7 years ago is still true today. 

You will keep responding to me even though you've already stated, twice, that it's both pointless and a waste of your time to do so.  Yeah, that's very logical.   

You are as mentally ill as you say that I am.  Are you on anti depressants?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
You will keep responding to me even though you've already stated, twice, that it's both pointless and a waste of your time to do so.  Yeah, that's very logical.   

I see you still lack reading comprehension

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

still lacking reading comprehension

try reading my last few posts very slowly and maybe you'll figure it out

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
I can't speak for others, but I'm not really offended, unless people – and there are plenty – insist on shoving their beliefs in my face. They will repeat the same tired arguments that have been debunked a million times already. They will end with "you don't have anything to lose!" They will insist that, deep down, I know the truth too, and I'm just denying it.

I don't get offended. But I do get frustrated, because these people feel that their beliefs entitle them to pester me.

First of all, I'm glad to see you qualify this as applying only to adults. With that said, I believe in the same thing too. But only if he does this in his personal capacity, not his professional one. There's a difference.

Is it ok if you're a member of a college football team and the coach, who you know is a Christian, walks up to you and says "you're coming to church on Sunday, right?" Maybe he's ok with you saying "no" and maybe he isn't. Will not going cost you a spot on the team? Maybe it will, maybe it won't. What do you do?

Is it ok if you're an employee and your boss comes to you and says: "The Synagogue, this Sabbath. 8am, sharp!" You aren't Jewish - you eat shellfish and you've never had a bagel... what do you do? Will it affecf that promotion you're due for? Maybe it will, maybe it won't. What do you do?

Before you answer, think carefully. Have you ever been placed in such a situation? What if your boss- the person who signs your paychecks and provides your livelihood and a very devout Buddhist, invited you over to the local Buddhist temple for a prayer ceremony?

It's easy to say "oh, I'm cool with that" - as you did below. But are you really? If you are, you're the exception and not the rule.

Of course he does - just because he's employed by the government he doesn't give up his rights. However when acting under the color of authority, he's operating under the restrictions that government operates under.  And on top of those restrictions he should have the good sense to know when it's ok to talk about your faith and when it isn't.

He can preach to people all he wants: in his private time. When he's paid to be a Coach, he should be that, and not a Pastor or a warrior for Jesus.

You will forgive me if I don't buy that entirely. It's not that I don't want to believe you. It's that I've heard so many say the same thing and then do something completely different.

No, you're right - it's not different. It's just as unacceptable as members of an administration holding bible studies in their office.

Again, you may feel that it's ok. But we live in a Constitutional Republic and not the land of your feelings.

I don't get offended or frustrated when people proselytize.  I don't have a problem engaging them.  It's usually an interesting discussion.  Helps me learn about people and their beliefs.  Actually makes me a smarter person, even though I disagree with them.  I often learn things I didn't know from them.

No, it's not ok for a coach or employer at secular institutions to force people to participate in religious activities as a condition of playing or working. 

I don't care if you don't believe me about whether I would have a problem if this involved Muslims, Buddhists, etc.  Why the heck did you ask me if you were just going to call me a liar?  Just make a statement.  In any event, I've posted on here before about the various different religious activities that I have participated in that did not offend me at, including a Buddhist prayer in my office arranged by one of my Buddhist business partners.

I know we live in a Democracy and never said we lived in the land of "my feelings."  That's retarded.  Still, I have no problem with people having Bible studies in their offices, public or private.  Nothing at all wrong with them so long as they are voluntary.  We don't need to cater to the handful of hypersensitive irrational atheists who get offended by something they don't believe exists. 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.

LOL

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
I don't get offended or frustrated when people proselytize.  I don't have a problem engaging them.  It's usually an interesting discussion.  Helps me learn about people and their beliefs.  Actually makes me a smarter person, even though I disagree with them.  I often learn things I didn't know from them.

That's a great attitude to have. It's a pity more people aren't like you.

No, it's not ok for a coach or employer at secular institutions to force people to participate in religious activities as a condition of playing or working.

Again, we agree. I'm starting to get worried here!

I don't care if you don't believe me about whether I would have a problem if this involved Muslims, Buddhists, etc.  Why the heck did you ask me if you were just going to call me a liar?  Just make a statement.  In any event, I've posted on here before about the various different religious activities that I have participated in that did not offend me at, including a Buddhist prayer in my office arranged by one of my Buddhist business partners.

First things first:I didn't call you a liar. Now, with that said, I am willing to take you at your word, despite the fact that experience has taught me that most religious people see the same act differently depending on whether their religion is involved. But that doesn't mean you are like that.

I know we live in a Democracy and never said we lived in the land of "my feelings."  That's retarded.  Still, I have no problem with people having Bible studies in their offices, public or private.  Nothing at all wrong with them so long as they are voluntary.  We don't need to cater to the handful of hypersensitive irrational atheists who get offended by something they don't believe exists.

There's a few things wrong. First and foremost is that under current First Amendment jurisprudence it's almost certainly not legal. The fact is that the government (and government employees in their official capacity, military chaplains excepted) cannot endorse or promote religion generally, much less a specific one.

You mention holding religious functions on Government property. Sure, it's possible to do this but only if the government does this in a content-neutral way: if one group gets to use the atrium to praise Jesus, the government can't deny access to a group seeking access to the atrium to praise the Flying Spaghetti Monster or plod through the writings of Ayn Rand.

As for people holding Bible studies in their office if it's private property I don't care about. If you want to allow your secretary to have a statue of Ganesha, and follow her religious practices in the office, more power to you.

But I find it highly inappropriate if it's a government office. See above for the reasons. Now, normally what I find or don't wouldn't mean much - I don't think my opinion is special and that people should snap at attention because I'm speaking. But in this case various Courts have spoken - including the Supreme Court - and they have, substantially, said the same thing.

We can argue the propriety of this if you want, but that won't change the current, legal status quo. Well, not unless you're secretly a Justice!

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
still lacking reading comprehension

try reading my last few posts very slowly and maybe you'll figure it out

Boy, you have a lot of time in your hands.  I see you are still lying at home all day while your wife goes to work and bring home the bacon.

You will keep responding to me even though you've already stated, twice, that it's both pointless and a waste of your time to do so.  Yeah, that's very logical.  

You are as mentally ill as you say that I am.  Are you on anti depressants?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Boy, you have a lot of time in your hands. I see you are still lying at home all day while your wife goes to work and bring home the bacon.

You will keep responding to me even though you've already stated, twice, that it's both pointless and a waste of your time to do so.  Yeah, that's very logical.  

You are as mentally ill as you say that I am.  Are you on anti depressants?

damn, I only wish that was the case

I guess you must not have considered the possibility that I have a computer at my office (and I work from home most mornings)

I wrote a check for 34k yesterday and that's after having paid 16k in estimated payments

SE Tax is where I got hammered

Since you seem to forget things immediately after you read them (I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here)

read the bold part below and if you're still confused see if you can find a child to explain it to you

I will keep responding to you as long as it continues to interest and entertain me to point out the futility in trying to engage a fundie such as yourself in a conversation.  It illustrates that the point I made 7 years ago is still true today.  

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
damn, I only wish that was the case

I guess you must not have considered the possibility that I have a computer at my office (and I work from home most mornings)

Since you seem to forget things immediately after you read them (I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here)

read the bold part below and if you're still confused see if you can find a child to explain it to you

You are as mentally ill as you say that I am.

The only thing you are pointing out or proving by continuously responding to me in this manner, in this thread is that Beach Bum was right about illogical atheists.  LOL

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
That's a great attitude to have. It's a pity more people aren't like you.

Again, we agree. I'm starting to get worried here!

First things first:I didn't call you a liar. Now, with that said, I am willing to take you at your word, despite the fact that experience has taught me that most religious people see the same act differently depending on whether their religion is involved. But that doesn't mean you are like that.

There's a few things wrong. First and foremost is that under current First Amendment jurisprudence it's almost certainly not legal. The fact is that the government (and government employees in their official capacity, military chaplains excepted) cannot endorse or promote religion generally, much less a specific one.

You mention holding religious functions on Government property. Sure, it's possible to do this but only if the government does this in a content-neutral way: if one group gets to use the atrium to praise Jesus, the government can't deny access to a group seeking access to the atrium to praise the Flying Spaghetti Monster or plod through the writings of Ayn Rand.

As for people holding Bible studies in their office if it's private property I don't care about. If you want to allow your secretary to have a statue of Ganesha, and follow her religious practices in the office, more power to you.

But I find it highly inappropriate if it's a government office. See above for the reasons. Now, normally what I find or don't wouldn't mean much - I don't think my opinion is special and that people should snap at attention because I'm speaking. But in this case various Courts have spoken - including the Supreme Court - and they have, substantially, said the same thing.

We can argue the propriety of this if you want, but that won't change the current, legal status quo. Well, not unless you're secretly a Justice!

lol.  Agreeing with me isn't so bad.   :)

Regarding Bible studies, etc. in government offices, I really don't see a problem.  An individual government employee can pray alone in his office.  He can also pray with another coworker or three in his office.  No real distinction between that and a Bible study IMO.  

I'm not sure if you've ever participated in a Bible study group, but it's really nothing more than a group of people sitting around talking story.  There is a verse (or passage) that is sort of the subject of the meeting, but the conversation is all over the place and not always "religious."  Everyone who is there wants to be there.  

I just don't see that as the government establishing religion.  People don't have to check their faith at the door just because they work in government.  

Necrosis

• Getbig V
lol.  Agreeing with me isn't so bad.   :)

Regarding Bible studies, etc. in government offices, I really don't see a problem.  An individual government employee can pray alone in his office.  He can also pray with another coworker or three in his office.  No real distinction between that a Bible study IMO. 

I'm not sure if you've ever participated in a Bible study group, but it's really nothing more than a group of people sitting around talking story.  There is a verse (or passage) that is sort of the subject of the meeting, but the conversation is all over the place and not always "religious."  Everyone who is there wants to be there. 

I just don't see that as the government establishing religion.  People don't have to check their faith at the door just because they work in government. 

I don't know if this is common knowledge, but what is your profession?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
I don't know if this is common knowledge, but what is your profession?

Chief cook and bottle washer at my house.   :)

I'm not the subject of this thread. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

The only thing you are pointing out or proving by continuously responding to me in this manner, in this thread is that Beach Bum was right about illogical atheists.  LOL

I told you that if you couldn't understand my post (and from your response it's obvious that you don't) to go find a child to explain it to you

Quick question - why didn't you just admit you screwed up when you wrote that the world population is mostly Christian and then proceeded to post that ~ 33% of the worlds population is christian

Why not just admit it was a mistake and move on?

You did it earlier in the thread and it was fine

Why all the nonsense instead of just admitting a simple mistake

I missed that.  Sorry!  I stand corrected!

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
I told you that if you couldn't understand my post (and from your response it's obvious that you don't) to go find a child to explain it to you

Quick question - why didn't you just admit you screwed up when you wrote that the world population is mostly Christian and then proceeded to post that ~ 33% of the worlds population is christian

Why not just admit it was a mistake and move on?

You did it earlier in the thread and it was fine

Why all the nonsense instead of just admitting a simple mistake

Necrosis

• Getbig V
Chief cook and bottle washer at my house.   :)

I'm not the subject of this thread. 

No I was curious is all.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

great job avoiding a simply question

why didn't you just admit you were wrong and move on

why the 5 pages of proving my point about about the delusion of fundies?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
great job avoiding a simply question

why didn't you just admit you were wrong and move on

why the 5 pages of proving my point about about the delusion of fundies?

You will keep responding to me even though you've already stated, twice, that it's both pointless and a waste of your time to do so.

That's irrational.  You are as mentally ill as you say that I am.

I'm sure Beach Bum is flattered that you, of all people, are going out of your way to prove him right about irrational atheists.  LOL

Pendejo

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Why are these people so paranoid, hypersensitive, and irrational about God and the Bible?

University reverses professor's ban on graduates thanking God
Published May 07, 2014
FoxNews.com

Officials at East Carolina University are telling students to disregard instructions from a chemistry professor who told them they were prohibited from mentioning God during a departmental graduation ceremony.

In an email obtained by Campus Reform, Assistant Professor Eli Hvastkovs told his students to prepare "family friendly" statements for the chemistry department's recognition event. He said the remarks should refrain from mentioning God.

"I've had some submissions that needed to be edited. so [sic] here are some guidelines,” Hvastkovs wrote. "1. You can't thank God. I'm sorry about this – and I don't want to have to outline the reasons why."

University officials told WNCT-TV the email was not authorized by the school and that the incident is being used to boost awareness of students' free speech rights.

In a separate email to chemistry students this week, ECU Provost Dr. Marilyn Sheerer said that religious references "of any type" will not be restricted.

"These statements can be your personal expressions and as such the University will only limit these expressions, as permitted by applicable First Amendment law,” Sheerer said.

In an interview with Campus Reform last week, Hvastkovs defended the e-mail, which he said was necessary because too many students recognized religious figures during last year's ceremony.

“It's not a religious ceremony,” Hvastkovs said. "It's purely educational."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/05/07/university-reverses-professor-ban-on-graduates-thanking-god/?intcmp=latestnews

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Broward schools’ Runcie says Bible controversy ‘should’ve been handled differently’ 
BY MICHAEL VASQUEZ

Broward Schools Superintendent Robert Runcie on Tuesday publicly apologized to a fifth-grade student who says his teacher wouldn’t let him read his Bible in class, with the superintendent saying “this is a situation that should’ve been handled differently.”

“This does not represent the values of our school system,” Runcie said. “This was a isolated incident at the school.”

The case attracted national attention — particularly among conservative news sites and commentators, many of whom were critical of Broward’s actions.

“Epic failure on this one,” wrote Sarah Palin on her Facebook page.

The family of 12-year-old Giovanni Rubeo says their child wasn’t allowed to read his Bible during “free reading” class periods that gave students the option of reading any book they wished. The Broward school district disputes this version of events, and says the boy wasn’t allowed to read the Bible because there was an “accelerated reading” program taking place.

Had there been a “free reading” session going on, Broward officials say the Bible would have been permitted. Rubeo is a student at Park Lakes Elementary in Lauderdale Lakes.

In his comments on Tuesday, Runcie said administrators at Park Lakes — and schools across the district — are being reminded that the Bible is permitted during free reading sessions. Students are also allowed to read their Bibles before and after school starts, and during lunch.

A voicemail left by Giovanni’s teacher last month further fueled the controversy. A recording of the message, which was left for Giovanni’s father, includes the teacher stating “I noticed that he has a book — a religious book — in the classroom. He’s not permitted to read those books in my classroom.”

Rubeo’s family is being represented by the Texas-based Liberty Institute, a conservative legal group that has launched similar battles against schools across the country. In multiple cases, the accusations of the Liberty Institute have been disputed by school districts — for example, Florida’s Seminole County school system last month found no evidence that a five-year-old girl had been scolded for praying during lunch, as had been claimed.

The Liberty Institute had blasted Seminole County’s treatment of the little girl as “outrageous.” The kindergartner involved, Gabriella, is the daughter of Marcos Perez, who is vice president of sales at Charisma House, a Lake Mary-based Christian book publisher. The company is promoting the book “God Less America: Real Stories From the Front Lines of the Attack on Traditional Values,” by Fox News host Todd Starnes.

Perez rejected the notion of ulterior motives when speaking to the Orlando Sentinel.

“I'm a father first, a VP of sales second,” he said.

In Broward, the Liberty Institute’s attorneys had threatened legal action against the school system unless it publicly apologized and allowed for the Bible to be read during “free reading” periods.

With Runcie’s public apology — and the district’s insistence that the Bible had all along been acceptable during “free reading” — those conditions appear to have been met.

But in a letter e-mailed to the school district on Tuesday, Liberty Institute director of litigation Hiram Sasser demanded assurances that Giovanni be allowed to read his Bible during “accelerated reading program” class periods as well.

“If we do not receive a satisfactory response, we will proceed with the appropriate legal steps up to and including litigation,” Sasser wrote.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/05/06/4101611/broward-schools-runcie-says-bible.html#storylink=cpy