Author Topic: Tennessee atheists win right to distribute literature after schools give Bibles  (Read 90262 times)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
When I heard this on the radio I thought "When are they going to finally get it that you can't promote a particular religion as a government entity".. then I see the above picture and I don't see it as a "Soldier kneeling in prayer" but as a soldier mourning a comrade. Definately not a classic case of government promoting christianity in my opinion

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
When I heard this on the radio I thought "When are they going to finally get it that you can't promote a particular religion as a government entity".. then I see the above picture and I don't see it as a "Soldier kneeling in prayer" but as a soldier mourning a comrade. Definately not a classic case of government promoting christianity in my opinion

what is a christian flag?

As part of the agreement, the King City Council also said it would stop flying the Christian flag over the memorial and would pay $500,000 to Americans United for Separation of Church and State for the legal costs the group incurred bringing the lawsuit on behalf of local Afghanistan War veteran Steven Hewett.

Hewett explained his reasons for suing in November, the Christian News Network reported Saturday. His lawsuit claimed violations of his constitutional rights.

“I proudly served alongside a diverse group of soldiers with a variety of different religious beliefs,” he said in a news release. “The City of King should be honoring everyone who served our country, not using their service as an excuse to promote a single religion.”

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)

:o

:)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
if only the stupid christians could have left well enough alone this probably wouldn't be an issue

they have to put up a "christian flag" instead

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
What the heck is an "ordained atheist minister"?? 

NBC Ignores Militant Atheism, Liberalism of Accused Killer of Muslims
By Scott Whitlock | February 12, 2015

NBC's Today on Thursday ignored the militant atheism and liberalism of a North Carolina man accused of executing three Muslims on Tuesday night. ABC's Good Morning America and CBS This Morning at least mentioned Craig Stephen Hicks's hatred of faith, but none of the networks highlighted the individual's affinity for programs such as the Rachel Maddow show.

Today reporter Mark Potter noted that the sister of one of the victims "insists the killings were religiously motivated." He added that "this case has sparked international attention." Yet, Potter didn't offer viewers any explanation about Hicks's own religious beliefs. In contrast, Good Morning America's Tom Llamas asserted, "But Hicks openly posted on Facebook his proposed solution to problems in the Middle East: Atheism."

Over on CBS This Morning, Vincente Arenas alerted, "Hicks's Facebook page includes rants about religions in general and he calls himself an ordained atheist minister who enjoys target practice."

The accused's wife says the violence was related to a parking dispute.

In 2012, ABC used the mass killing by a gunman in Colorado to, within hours, smear the Tea Party as being connected. This was false, but journalist Brian Ross eagerly tried to link conservatives to the killing.

Imagine if this North Carolina man was a conservative, Tea Party-supporting right-winger?

The International Business Times detailed:

His Facebook 'likes' included the Huffington Post, Rachel Maddow, the Southern Poverty Law Center, Freedom from Religion Foundation, Bill Nye "The Science Guy," Neil deGrasse Tyson, Gay Marriage groups and similar progressive pages.

After it emerged that the suspect is a vocal advocate of anti-theism, evolutionary biologist and atheist philosopher Richard Dawkins condemned the massacre.

On Wednesday's evening news, the same pattern emerged. CBS and ABC mentioned Hicks's atheism. NBC did not.

Partial transcripts of the ABC and CBS segments an be found below:

GMA
2/12/15
7:06

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS: We're going to turn now to the murder of three Muslim-American students in North Carolina. The neighbor who shot them is being held without bond. His wife says it was a fight over a parking space. The victims' family calling it a hate crime and ABC's Tom Llamas has the latest from Chapel Hill.

LLAMAS: But Hicks openly posted on Facebook his proposed solution to problems in the Middle East: Atheism. And Barakat's family tells me, Hicks's complained about loud Arabic conversations in the parking lot and previously threatened Deah.

FARRIS BARAKAT (Brother of victim): He showed him the gun. He kind of warned him of a gun.

LLAMAS: Deah and Yusor had just married in December. Their family Their family calling them model Americans living the American dream.

CBS This Morning
2/12/15
7:14

JEFF GLOR: This morning, investigators have not ruled out a hate crime. The three Muslim victims were all related. Now the FBI has joined in the investigation. Vicente Arenas is in Chapel Hill, North Carolina with reaction from both the victims and suspects families. Vincente, good morning.

VINCENTE ARENAS: Good morning. Police are still trying to figure out exactly what happened here, but they theorize it was a dispute over a parking space like this one. They are each reserved and they are also numbered. But there's still a lot of questions about the shooting that took place in the condo behind me, a shooting that has left Chapel Hillin  mourning. Thousands gathered on the campus of UNC Chapel Hill to remember the three victims, Deah Barakat, his wife Yusor Abu-Salha and her sister Razan Abu-Salha, all shot execution style in their Chapel Hill condominium, Tuesday evening. Omar Abu Dahki [PH] grew up with Barakat and was his classmate at the UNC dentistry program.

ARENAS: Hicks's Facebook page includes rants about religions in general and he calls himself an ordained atheist minister who enjoys target practice. Karen Hicks is his wife.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitlock/2015/02/12/nbc-ignores-militant-atheism-liberalism-accused-killer-muslims#sthash.GXf3MYhR.dpuf

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
What the heck is an "ordained atheist minister"?? 

NBC Ignores Militant Atheism, Liberalism of Accused Killer of Muslims
By Scott Whitlock | February 12, 2015

NBC's Today on Thursday ignored the militant atheism and liberalism of a North Carolina man accused of executing three Muslims on Tuesday night. ABC's Good Morning America and CBS This Morning at least mentioned Craig Stephen Hicks's hatred of faith, but none of the networks highlighted the individual's affinity for programs such as the Rachel Maddow show.

Today reporter Mark Potter noted that the sister of one of the victims "insists the killings were religiously motivated." He added that "this case has sparked international attention." Yet, Potter didn't offer viewers any explanation about Hicks's own religious beliefs. In contrast, Good Morning America's Tom Llamas asserted, "But Hicks openly posted on Facebook his proposed solution to problems in the Middle East: Atheism."

Over on CBS This Morning, Vincente Arenas alerted, "Hicks's Facebook page includes rants about religions in general and he calls himself an ordained atheist minister who enjoys target practice."

The accused's wife says the violence was related to a parking dispute.

In 2012, ABC used the mass killing by a gunman in Colorado to, within hours, smear the Tea Party as being connected. This was false, but journalist Brian Ross eagerly tried to link conservatives to the killing.

Imagine if this North Carolina man was a conservative, Tea Party-supporting right-winger?

The International Business Times detailed:

His Facebook 'likes' included the Huffington Post, Rachel Maddow, the Southern Poverty Law Center, Freedom from Religion Foundation, Bill Nye "The Science Guy," Neil deGrasse Tyson, Gay Marriage groups and similar progressive pages.

After it emerged that the suspect is a vocal advocate of anti-theism, evolutionary biologist and atheist philosopher Richard Dawkins condemned the massacre.

On Wednesday's evening news, the same pattern emerged. CBS and ABC mentioned Hicks's atheism. NBC did not.

Partial transcripts of the ABC and CBS segments an be found below:

GMA
2/12/15
7:06

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS: We're going to turn now to the murder of three Muslim-American students in North Carolina. The neighbor who shot them is being held without bond. His wife says it was a fight over a parking space. The victims' family calling it a hate crime and ABC's Tom Llamas has the latest from Chapel Hill.

LLAMAS: But Hicks openly posted on Facebook his proposed solution to problems in the Middle East: Atheism. And Barakat's family tells me, Hicks's complained about loud Arabic conversations in the parking lot and previously threatened Deah.

FARRIS BARAKAT (Brother of victim): He showed him the gun. He kind of warned him of a gun.

LLAMAS: Deah and Yusor had just married in December. Their family Their family calling them model Americans living the American dream.

CBS This Morning
2/12/15
7:14

JEFF GLOR: This morning, investigators have not ruled out a hate crime. The three Muslim victims were all related. Now the FBI has joined in the investigation. Vicente Arenas is in Chapel Hill, North Carolina with reaction from both the victims and suspects families. Vincente, good morning.

VINCENTE ARENAS: Good morning. Police are still trying to figure out exactly what happened here, but they theorize it was a dispute over a parking space like this one. They are each reserved and they are also numbered. But there's still a lot of questions about the shooting that took place in the condo behind me, a shooting that has left Chapel Hillin  mourning. Thousands gathered on the campus of UNC Chapel Hill to remember the three victims, Deah Barakat, his wife Yusor Abu-Salha and her sister Razan Abu-Salha, all shot execution style in their Chapel Hill condominium, Tuesday evening. Omar Abu Dahki [PH] grew up with Barakat and was his classmate at the UNC dentistry program.

ARENAS: Hicks's Facebook page includes rants about religions in general and he calls himself an ordained atheist minister who enjoys target practice. Karen Hicks is his wife.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitlock/2015/02/12/nbc-ignores-militant-atheism-liberalism-accused-killer-muslims#sthash.GXf3MYhR.dpuf

Apparently it's a made up title by a crazy man

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Apparently it's a made up title by a crazy man

Do you think all atheist ministers are crazy or just this guy?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Do you think all atheist ministers are crazy or just this guy?

:)    Just this guy.. the rest of the Atheist Ministers are cool.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
:)    Just this guy.. the rest of the Atheist Ministers are cool.

lol  He's not the only one.  What about people who attend atheist churches? 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Why no mention that this guy was a self professed gun nut

His wife said he loved watching the movie Falling Down and that he would watch it over and over again and laugh

Once again, after the fact you have people saying this guy was a nutbag ready to snap

Crazy guy with gun executes three kids

What is the common denominator ?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Why no mention that this guy was a self professed gun nut

His wife said he loved watching the movie Falling Down and that he would watch it over and over again and laugh

Once again, after the fact you have people saying this guy was a nutbag ready to snap

Crazy gun with gun executes three kids

What is the common denominator ?

Being a liberal anti Christian nutjob like yourself?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Being a liberal anti Christian nutjob like yourself?

Go back to bed loser

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Go back to bed loser

Sorry - I have a big event to train for coming up.   A few of us on this site actually do work out and push ourselves physically because the keyboard.  You might want to try it some time.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Sorry - I have a big event to train for coming up.   A few of us on this site actually do work out and push ourselves physically because the keyboard.  You might want to try it some time.   

LOL @ "big event"

go back to bed loser

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
LOL @ "big event"

go back to bed loser

You would not last 30 minutes in it let alone 24+ hours.   You would quit and crawl home w your tail between your legs. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
You would not last 30 minutes in it let alone 24+ hours.   You would quit and crawl home w your tail between your legs. 

LOL - do have any idea what an attention craving, insecure little bitch you sound like ?

Why don't you go to the G&O Board and start a thread about it instead of making these comments on a totally unrelated thread on a political message board

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
LOL - do have any idea what an attention craving, insecure little bitch you sound like ?

Why don't you go to the G&O Board and start a thread about it instead of making these comments on a totally unrelated thread on a political message board

Cause I'm trolling you here and now - that's why. 

Now go get your FNG shine box  ;)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
lol  He's not the only one.  What about people who attend atheist churches? 

Dos,

I was reading a site that allowed you to become an ordained atheist minister. It allows you to perform funerals, weddings etc. I guess some atheists may seek out people of like beliefs to perform those services for personal reasons. I don't want a preacher using my funeral as a captive audience to pitch his personal belief so I might even consider it. As for people who attend atheist churches.. kinda weird to me. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Cause I'm trolling you here and now - that's why. 

Now go get your FNG shine box  ;)

LOL - insecure little girl desperate for someone to pay attention to her

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Dos,

I was reading a site that allowed you to become an ordained atheist minister. It allows you to perform funerals, weddings etc. I guess some atheists may seek out people of like beliefs to perform those services for personal reasons. I don't want a preacher using my funeral as a captive audience to pitch his personal belief so I might even consider it. As for people who attend atheist churches.. kinda weird to me. 

Understood.  Thanks.

I wonder what they teach people at atheist preacher school? 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Understood.  Thanks.

I wonder what they teach people at atheist preacher school? 

Nothing. You can fill out a form and be a minister in minutes. According to the website it's as legal as any other minister. you have to buy the credentials which is where they make the money. There is a short bio on what they believe which is basically "in science". So I would imagine church services would be more of a place where atheist can vent about dealing with religious infringements on their lives and organizing to keep it at bay in legislation.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Nothing. You can fill out a form and be a minister in minutes. According to the website it's as legal as any other minister. you have to buy the credentials which is where they make the money. There is a short bio on what they believe which is basically "in science". So I would imagine church services would be more of a place where atheist can vent about dealing with religious infringements on their lives and organizing to keep it at bay in legislation.

That is whacked. 

So they sit around at atheist church services and complain about something they don't believe in. 

I looked at the site.  This is laugh out loud funny.   ;D

FAQ

What do we believe?
The First Church of Atheism is formed around the belief that the mysteries of life can be explained through science and reason. We aim to provide a place for atheists to become ordained, for free, as well as a hub for atheists to find ministers to perform their ceremonies. This is our doctrine:

“Nothing exists besides natural phenomena. Thought is merely a function of those natural phenomena. Death is complete, and irreversible. We have faith solely in humankind, nature, and the facts of science.”

Is this really free?
Yes, becoming ordained with the First Church of Atheism is entirely free of charge.

Why is this free?
We believe that everyone should have the right to preach what they believe, to start a congregation, and to perform ceremonies. This is usually reserved for members of traditional religious sects. We have started a church of our own, based on our beliefs, and will provide our service of ordainment free to anyone who shares our beliefs.

Will I be a minister in the eyes of the law?
Yes, you will be a legally ordained minister. You will be able to perform every task that a clergy member can perform.

How do I prove I am an ordained minister?
Visit the store to purchase various items, such as an identification card, certificate, or letters for your local government office.

What type of services can I perform as a minister?
You will be able to perform the following services:
-Weddings
-Funerals
-Commitment ceremonies
-Many others

Are there any privileges of being a minister?
Ministers command a level of respect from the general public. Some parking lots have reserved parking for clergy. You will have clergy level access to prisons and hospitals.

How long does my ordainment last?
Your ordainment with the First Church of Atheism lasts for your lifetime. Once you are ordained, you never have to do anything again. You will be a minister for life.

Can I revoke my ordainment?
Yes, simply contact us and we will remove your ordainment, free of charge.

Can atheism really have a church?
A church is defined as an association of people who share a particular belief system. So yes, a church of atheism can really exist.

Where is the First Church of Atheism located?
The FCA is located in Langhorne, Pennsylvania.

Do you have a physical church that I can visit?
Not yet! To learn more about that, click here.

What do I have to do to start my own congregation?
Once you become an ordained minister, you can begin preaching to a congregation immediately.

Is Ordainment available worldwide?
Yes, Ordainment is available to people worldwide, though the legality discussed only pertains to American citizens. You will have to check your local laws, but most westernized countries have similar religious tolerance laws.

http://firstchurchofatheism.com/faq/

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
They don't actually have a church knucklehead

Looks more like an internet goof and there have always been mail order (and then online) things like this.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Losers.

Atheist group threatens suit over 'angels' on memorial to beloved teacher
By Edmund DeMarche
Published February 19, 2015
FoxNews.com

Joann Christy was a teacher at Ravenswood Middle School for 26 years. (WCHSTV.com)

A West Virginia middle school took down the crosses from a memorial to a beloved teacher, but is standing firm on the angels etched into the stone, despite an atheist group's threat to sue on constitutional grounds.

Joann Christy's 26-year career educating children at Ravenswood Middle School came to a tragic end in 2004, when she died in a car accident. But her loved ones and the community she had served sought to remember her with an engraved, stone memorial near the school's entrance.

"There's so many kids that came through this school that were affected by her death, that were affected by her teachings, and now we're just trying to keep her memory alive here," Tracy Sadecky, a family friend, told the station.

The Freedom From Religion Foundation said a memorial for a teacher, that featured angles and crosses, endorses Christianity. (WCHSTV.com)

But more than a decade later, the Wisconsin-based Freedom From Religion Foundation wants the memorial gone, claiming its presence on public grounds violates the First Amendment. The foundation criticized the display as a promotion of religion that infringes on students rights. WSAZ.com reported that the foundation wrote a letter to the school requesting an investigation into the memorial and the "multiple Latin crosses" near the school's entrance.

Christy's family, apparently in an attempt to resolve the situation, reportedly agreed to the removal of the crosses, but left the angels in memory of Christy, who had a collection of angel figurines. The school has a meeting scheduled Thursday night to discuss the memorial issue and others that reportedly riled up the foundation, including a Nativity scene.

A lawyer from the Wisconsin-based nonprofit told the station that as long as the angel represents Christy and not a religion, there may not be a legal issue.

wvmem3.jpgExpand / Contract
The Ravenwood Middle School removed small crosses at the memorial for a teacher remembered to be a devout Christian. (WCHSTV.com)

Still, the legal threat did not sit well with some in the community, who said the memorial is merely a remembrance of a teacher, not an endorsement of Christianity.

Charles Hicks, the pastor at Christy's church, remembered her as a devoted Christian who died in a car crash after a Bible study meeting at the church.

"It is a remembrance of who Joann Christy was," Hicks said. "And it is hard to separate the good that she did and her devotion to her Christian faith."

WSAZ pointed out that the atheist group did not have an issue with the school's mascot: a red devil.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/19/freedom-from-religion-says-teacher-memorial-violates-first-amendment/

Skip8282

• Getbig V
Losers.

Yep...strange that people actually have enough free time to whine about this level of bullshit.