Author Topic: Who owns or runs a gym?  (Read 14933 times)

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
Re: Who owns or runs a gym?
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2014, 07:04:48 PM »
Equipment

Bench 3 flat, 2 incline 1 decline

Squat racks 2

Smith 1

Preacher 1 standing 1 sitting

I'd drop the standing preacher definitely, and the decline maybe, if this is going to be a mainstream gym. Find room for a good leg press, high/low pully, and someting like a hammer row.  

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2014, 07:12:12 PM »
I'd drop the standing preacher definitely, and the decline maybe, if this is going to be a mainstream gym. Find room for a good leg press, high/low pully, and someting like a hammer row.  

I have enough room for 15 hammer strength machines and 20 cable pull machines

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2014, 07:19:19 PM »
Good point....but 1 year free memberships should fix that

Plus I'm the note holder so there is no issue on shutdown...just assumption no lag time
jeeezus!  That's why I hate most fn gym owners.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2014, 07:20:36 PM »
Your either retarded or a gimmick or both.

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2014, 07:22:04 PM »
jeeezus!  That's why I hate most fn gym owners.

I don't understand....what you find offensive?

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2014, 07:24:09 PM »
I don't understand....what you find offensive?
the selling year membership part. I'm trying hard not to judge but your obviously a trolling gimmick so I'll have fun w it. 

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2014, 07:25:53 PM »
How did they steal your money? Product or not paying their share of trainer money?
Cash sales and products.  I was letting the trainers train their clients there for free as long as both where members of the club. Too damn nice.

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2014, 07:27:47 PM »
Cash sales and products.  I was letting the trainers train their clients there for free as long as both where members of the club. Too damn nice.

We use bar code computer system for behind the counter sales....and no friends or relatives work for any of our companies.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2014, 07:34:41 PM »
We use bar code computer system for behind the counter sales....and no friends or relatives work for any of our companies.
So did I. The workers created a fake account and was able to put products and cash members down as paid on account, this way when they would Z out it would balance out.  I allowed members to put stuff on their account and would bill them at the end of the month. When I did the sale the guy from the bank who was a computer expert found the account in the system. I knew it didn't add up, just couldn't find it.

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2014, 07:35:56 PM »
So did I. The workers created a fake account and was able to put products and cash members down as paid on account, this way when they would Z out it would balance out.  I allowed members to put stuff on their account and would bill them at the end of the month. When I did the sale the guy from the bank who was a computer expert found the account in the system. I knew it didn't add up, just couldn't find it.

Did you prosecute?

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2014, 07:39:20 PM »
Did you prosecute?
No the three who did it moved out of town before I found out. It was a very hard lesson to learn, but it has helped me a lot in other dealings.

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2014, 07:48:07 PM »
No the three who did it moved out of town before I found out. It was a very hard lesson to learn, but it has helped me a lot in other dealings.

Too bad, I had an employee who stole we filed charges they got 3 years and we got restitution.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2014, 08:34:26 PM »
set up, operating expenses, equipment and layout, sell-ability.....initial investment.

if you buy the equipment outright you're looking at 250-300k (there's options.. lease, lease to own, payment plans/finance, ect..) that's 15-20 treads, 15-20 elipitals and bikes.. a few rowers, db's up to 150 2pair each urethane coated, 'jungle gym' (cable crossover/pulldown/row stations ect..), 2-3 each of chest, back, shoulder, curl, dip machines, ect... squat/power rack. 2-3 of each handle/attachment vhandle/wide bar/ect... 3 flat bench, 1 incline, 1 decline, plus 3 flat benches, 2-3 adjustable benches.

places like http://www.usedgymequipment.com/ sell packages that range from $100k.. not sure if they include shipping, but if they don't you're looking at like $15k, plus you'll probably want to pay people to move the stuff and set it up (make sure you measure the footprint of each machine first, and tape off the area to see if you have room to move)

figure you'll need a manager (besides yourself), 2 people who can open, 2 people who can close and 1-2 people for the middle shifts.

we have 1 guy who does 5am-130/2pm, then 130-7pm, then I usually do 7pm-12am depending on when I have clients.

you'll want your manager there during peak hours 9am-6 or 7pm... put that fucker on salary if you can, along with incentives/bonus's for meeting sales goals both for his own sales and for club sales, and have a bonus program for your sales people... like a 1st and 2nd place. $300 and $100 bonus or $500/$200 bonus or something... or figure out your own commission structure.... hard to have a productive sales team that isn't incentive-based.

you'll want to be there damn near every day during busy times to see/hear what the members want/need.

profit wise, crossfit and group training is where the money is. with personal training, there's only so many hours during the day, so per trainer, if you're open 12hours a day, you can only bill 12 people for 1hour sessions (or 24 1/2hr sessions, or a mix.. you get the idea)... but with group training, it's virtually unlimited. you can have classes 12hours a day and bill 5-20people per class all day long... you get the idea.............. so it';s a good idea to have an area of about 500sq ft for group training (kettlebells, bands, medicine balls, battle ropes, trx, ect...)

umbrella insurance that covers the gym, staff, and traimners for 15k ft is about 1200 I believe.

power varies depending on where you are and how much AC/heat you run. figure $2k/month.

paper towels/toilet paper and cleaning supplies runs about $1k every couple months.

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2014, 08:38:57 PM »
if you buy the equipment outright you're looking at 250-300k (there's options.. lease, lease to own, payment plans/finance, ect..) that's 15-20 treads, 15-20 elipitals and bikes.. a few rowers, db's up to 150 2pair each urethane coated, 'jungle gym' (cable crossover/pulldown/row stations ect..), 2-3 each of chest, back, shoulder, curl, dip machines, ect... squat/power rack. 2-3 of each handle/attachment vhandle/wide bar/ect... 3 flat bench, 1 incline, 1 decline, plus 3 flat benches, 2-3 adjustable benches.

places like http://www.usedgymequipment.com/ sell packages that range from $100k.. not sure if they include shipping, but if they don't you're looking at like $15k, plus you'll probably want to pay people to move the stuff and set it up (make sure you measure the footprint of each machine first, and tape off the area to see if you have room to move)

figure you'll need a manager (besides yourself), 2 people who can open, 2 people who can close and 1-2 people for the middle shifts.

we have 1 guy who does 5am-130/2pm, then 130-7pm, then I usually do 7pm-12am depending on when I have clients.

you'll want your manager there during peak hours 9am-6 or 7pm... put that fucker on salary if you can, along with incentives/bonus's for meeting sales goals both for his own sales and for club sales, and have a bonus program for your sales people... like a 1st and 2nd place. $300 and $100 bonus or $500/$200 bonus or something... or figure out your own commission structure.... hard to have a productive sales team that isn't incentive-based.

you'll want to be there damn near every day during busy times to see/hear what the members want/need.

profit wise, crossfit and group training is where the money is. with personal training, there's only so many hours during the day, so per trainer, if you're open 12hours a day, you can only bill 12 people for 1hour sessions (or 24 1/2hr sessions, or a mix.. you get the idea)... but with group training, it's virtually unlimited. you can have classes 12hours a day and bill 5-20people per class all day long... you get the idea.............. so it';s a good idea to have an area of about 500sq ft for group training (kettlebells, bands, medicine balls, battle ropes, trx, ect...)

umbrella insurance that covers the gym, staff, and traimners for 15k ft is about 1200 I believe.

power varies depending on where you are and how much AC/heat you run. figure $2k/month.

paper towels/toilet paper and cleaning supplies runs about $1k every couple months.

Exactly what I was looking for....thank you, you're not in GA by chance  ;D

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2014, 08:41:08 PM »
oh.. then you gotta figure your total montly expense (regular biz stuff I'm sure youre familiar with) and divide that by what you think your membership dues will be ($15, 20,25,30 per month, ect...) and try to cover your expenses with your membership remit/eft's... they extra stuff like day fee's of $10-15, 1 month memberships of $50, 3 month deals of $120, personal training income, plus POS/drink/protein drink/water/ect sales are all extra (the gravy lol)

find software for gym business.. there's a bunch. clubready, powermanagement, asf, ect... find one that also does collections and billing stuff to make it easier (they'll take a small percentage of each transaction they bill). clubready is redundant, powermanagement is super easy, but lacks features, and asf is redundant, but has a lot of features that usually have problems and will cause you to throw your POS out the window. lol.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2014, 08:54:03 PM »
Exactly what I was looking for....thank you, you're not in GA by chance  ;D

nope.. a little desert in SoCal... so our AC bill is brutal in the summers when it's 120degrees during the day and still 100degrees at midnight. lol.

if you're gonna make it work, it's possible to do it on a shoestring budget, if you're willing and able to shoulder a large portion of the workload.

figure 2000members at an average of $20/month will bring a remit of $40k each month, plus an extra $10-20k in the "extras" such as personal training sales (including classes like zumba, which brings in TONS of women who normally wouldn't set foot in a gym, and usually only come for zumba.. and yoga, which is usually a loss-leader) and rtd/water/protein bar/towel sales.

water has a huge profit margin. lol.. pay $.08 per bottle and charge $1.

oh... and there's cost for playing music as well.

we have a DMX service, which sucks, that also plays videos, which is around $240/month.

satellite radio for commercial settings is fucking brutal.. I believe our quote was north of $600/month.

there's even rules/laws about playing the radio if your business has over a certain # of sq ft and you have a certain # of daily visitors they make you pay licencing/royalty fees nearly as much as satellite radio.

you can always take the risk of hooking up a smart phone and playing Pandora or some other free service and cross your fingers you don't get caught. (there'a also Pandora for commercial applications, which is pricey as well.)

ideally... in my personal opinion, I'd rather have 1500 sq feet, $5k in kettlebells, medicine balls, and trx equipment, along with workout mats, a couple battle ropes, a rower, a spin bike, and a treadmill (doesn't even need to work.. make them push it! lol) and do nothing but bootcamps all day 7 days a week. charge $100/month and do the classes myself.

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2014, 09:05:12 PM »
nope.. a little desert in SoCal... so our AC bill is brutal in the summers when it's 120degrees during the day and still 100degrees at midnight. lol.

if you're gonna make it work, it's possible to do it on a shoestring budget, if you're willing and able to shoulder a large portion of the workload.

figure 2000members at an average of $20/month will bring a remit of $40k each month, plus an extra $10-20k in the "extras" such as personal training sales (including classes like zumba, which brings in TONS of women who normally wouldn't set foot in a gym, and usually only come for zumba.. and yoga, which is usually a loss-leader) and rtd/water/protein bar/towel sales.

water has a huge profit margin. lol.. pay $.08 per bottle and charge $1.

oh... and there's cost for playing music as well.

we have a DMX service, which sucks, that also plays videos, which is around $240/month.

satellite radio for commercial settings is fucking brutal.. I believe our quote was north of $600/month.

there's even rules/laws about playing the radio if your business has over a certain # of sq ft and you have a certain # of daily visitors they make you pay licencing/royalty fees nearly as much as satellite radio.

you can always take the risk of hooking up a smart phone and playing Pandora or some other free service and cross your fingers you don't get caught. (there'a also Pandora for commercial applications, which is pricey as well.)

ideally... in my personal opinion, I'd rather have 1500 sq feet, $5k in kettlebells, medicine balls, and trx equipment, along with workout mats, a couple battle ropes, a rower, a spin bike, and a treadmill (doesn't even need to work.. make them push it! lol) and do nothing but bootcamps all day 7 days a week. charge $100/month and do the classes myself.

I have 150k in cash for equipment and 50k for construction and my people are doing construction as well as my fabrication shop will build some custom stuff.

I have 5200 sq and I will be building a second deck for additional 2000 sq 26 ft ceiling here is the building

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2014, 09:07:18 PM »
Also the grassy area is a prepped pad for additional 4500 sq ft

41 parking spaces

two curb cuts, city utilities

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2014, 09:58:57 PM »
I have 150k in cash for equipment and 50k for construction and my people are doing construction as well as my fabrication shop will build some custom stuff.

I have 5200 sq and I will be building a second deck for additional 2000 sq 26 ft ceiling here is the building

should be able to equip 5200 ft with under 150k.

depends on what the demographic is in that area.. what people are looking for in that area, and what they'd be comfortable with.

it'd be great to have a hardcore TempleGym/MetroFlex/WestsideBarbell -type gym, but those cater to a niche market, and that market #1 is thin, and #2 doesn't have the cash to spend for higher dues, so you'll be lucky to break even in those types of gyms.

it's the trendy guys and gals, and older people, successful people, people who want to tell people they "go to the gym" because it's cool that are gonna stick around and pay their dues ontime each month and tell their friends (usually they have more friends willing to join than the hardcore guys).

try to get set up with Silver Sneakers or Silver and Fit in your area and market to old people who's insurance will pay for their memberships up to $30/month. pick up 200 old people and that's an e a s y $6k/month.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2014, 01:55:35 AM »
Holy Crap ES!!!!

I am impressed!

Spot on 100%

You didn't miss a thing except for what we could break down into even smaller pieces.

My gym is in Central Cal and we use ASF. You are spot on about them too.

I don't know if you mentioned the "maintenance guy" or the janitorial, but you can get whoever you hire to open to do that, or have everyone do a little.

Also childcare... you have to pay the baby-sitter, but you can collect from the members.

Towel service, you can provide it for free or charge for it, depending on whether or not you pay an outside service to wash your shit.

Silver Sneakers is great, so are government programs with the recovery groups, BUT!!!!! You have to set the hours those clowns can come in otherwise you will run off your regulars. They are usually unruly tough guys, but they are manageable and the gov't may pay up to 3K a month for you to let them in for an hour 3 times a week. During those hours you have to have your own tough guy at the front counter. That is easy money, truly. It's all about respect. You demand their respect and you in turn give respect and speak to them respectfully.

The A/C bill kills in the summer months and you have to know that memberships are at their all-time lowest in the summer and during the Holidays. Right now the peak season is still trucking along. We did exceptionally well in Jan, Feb (surprising!!!) and we killed it in March! Just finished the numbers tonight.

Outside sales, "onsight" whatever you wanna call it, just hire someone on a commission base only. Someone who is GREAT with people. Doesn't always matter what they look like, it's how they are with others. It's surprising sometimes that the clean-cut guy does shitty, the hot chick does even worse, but the dude that looks like he could kill you puts money on the books.

The gym business is NEVER easy and there are NO promises. The exact OPPOSITE of the trucking industry. The wheels DO NOT keep rollin no matter what. Every once in a while you will get scared if you are the kind of person who worries a lot. You have to take each day as it comes.

Your morning could start off with 3 P.I.F's without you even breaking a sweat, and you could have a thousand dollar day... and then the next.. you are lucky to sell a water.

I dunno. I'm not goin' anywhere. It is what it is. Plan ahead for the shit months and U will be fine. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS get the EFT's... no "open-end" shit. Or the P.I.F's ~ those just make you feel good all over no matter what.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2014, 01:58:24 AM »
Mainstream

Building shown below we purchased, 3 mile demos are middle income families 30 thousand households....looking to build, rev up sell in that order. Can expand the building by 4500 sq pad is prepped. 24+ foot ceiling can two tier inside as well at both ends.

It needs more windows to look 'mainstream'.

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2014, 02:04:54 AM »
me for over 21 years

www.probodies.ca
have been here great gym

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2014, 05:08:18 AM »
Good info gentlemen, keep it coming TY

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2014, 08:32:49 AM »
Online presence....facebook, twitter..instagram. Let people know why your different. They have a gym here in San Antonio..Joe's Gym. they advertise as a no bullshit, hardcore place to train and the guy does pretty good. He's in the middle of a bunch of box gyms but his place is always full. Its clean and the equipment isn't broken. Bring in trainers, sponsor meets, seminars etc. Make it matter to join yoiur place as opposed to your competition.
L

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2014, 09:12:53 AM »
Online presence....facebook, twitter..instagram. Let people know why your different. They have a gym here in San Antonio..Joe's Gym. they advertise as a no bullshit, hardcore place to train and the guy does pretty good. He's in the middle of a bunch of box gyms but his place is always full. Its clean and the equipment isn't broken. Bring in trainers, sponsor meets, seminars etc. Make it matter to join yoiur place as opposed to your competition.

I was at Fort Sam for over a year...love San Antone