Author Topic: skullcrushers  (Read 3395 times)

newdumbell303

• Getbig II
  • "get serious..."
skullcrushers
« on: January 19, 2006, 10:18:57 PM »
I'm dropping them, I've never even really felt it while doing this exercise. Only when I do a few pushes at the end for extra do I feel it, and thats just like close grip bench press. Plus, them fuckers been straining my elbows more and more over the last few weeks. So I'm done with them completely.

I know theres a thread on here about dumbest/worst exercises to do, but I thought I'd rant on about this anyway.

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
Re: skullcrushers
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 03:18:28 AM »
If the exercise hurts you,

check if you perform it right, let others check the motion,
if it's ok, drop the exercise. It's BB, not a SM session.

lilbg

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 08:53:35 AM »
I feel the elbow pain as well when doing them.  I went to close grip press and dropped them.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 09:00:40 AM »
Some guy's can do 300+ and other have elbow problems with 80lbs when doing SK'ers. Of course a lot of guy's will hang their heads off the end of a bench when doing them, making the range of motion longer and giving more stress to the elbows themselves.  Sk'ers are meant to be a short range, partial movement. Tension is meant to be on the tricep throughout the exercise. Those 300+lbs SK'ers are short ranged, partial movements. Might want to chance grip positions to a little wider/narrower  or use a EZ bar rather than a straight bar. Hard to do a true Sk'er with DB's but you might give it  a shot (will be very short range). In any event the bar should just slightly touch the forehead (it's all about contol) not the nose or chin, which a few guy's will do.

I've never seen any great value in doing SK'er but that's up to the individual and what works for them, I guess. Good luck.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 09:41:27 AM »
Before giving up on them it's worth a little experimentation. Stop them for a while, until the elbows are better, then..

Extensions to behind the head instead of to the forehead make a huge difference as far as elbow stress & muscle stimulation. In fact, I don't understand ever doing "skulls". Instead of a barbell put both hands around the end of a dumbbell-more effective muscle stimulation & easier on the elbows, especially when done on a decline. Also try using an incline or do them seated.

Do them second, following another exercise that first warms up the elbows, like pushdowns or bench dips.

This is the best exercise, if the right variation's found that doesn't hurt the joints.

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 10:53:55 AM »
Before giving up on them it's worth a little experimentation. Stop them for a while, until the elbows are better, then..
Extensions to behind the head instead of to the forehead make a huge difference as far as elbow stress & muscle stimulation. In fact, I don't understand ever doing "skulls". Instead of a barbell put both hands around the end of a dumbbell-more effective muscle stimulation & easier on the elbows, especially when done on a decline. Also try using an incline or do them seated.
Do them second, following another exercise that first warms up the elbows, like pushdowns or bench dips.
This is the best exercise, if the right variation's found that doesn't hurt the joints.

exactly. skullcrushers (i feel) were unfortunately poorly named.  people will just assume they should end by the forehead when in reality its much more effective and safer to finish behind the head, with your elbows pointed straight up or behind you even, never in front.  i always have my head hanging off the bench, and i think heavy skullcrushers french presses are a great way to improve strength and size.
its comin today

OWNER

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • ACQUIRING INFO.
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 11:05:22 AM »
Sk'ers are meant to be a short range, partial movement.

NO.  TRY DOING THEM RIGHT FOR ONCE.   EVEN RONNIE COLEMAN DOESN'T USE ANYWHERE NEAR 300LBS.
I WILL OWN YOU

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006, 11:09:52 AM »
Hard to fathom how anyone can mention skullcrushers, a poor exercise, without suggesting the correct version of extensions that is the best size builder there is. Done properly they are full-range motions. Close grips are not a substitute for them, as they hit different areas.

To remove elbow stress & to increase effectiveness substantially, use a decline bench for behind-the-head lying extensions, and use two hands around the end of a single dumbbell instead of a barbell. Ensure an intense stretch by lowering the weight to behind the head and well below the bench.

OWNER

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • ACQUIRING INFO.
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 11:11:56 AM »
DOING BARBELL EXTENSIONS STANDING UP IS BETTER IMO.
I WILL OWN YOU

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 11:13:42 AM »
Standing upright extensions work a different angle than lying. The classic standing version's not as comfortable or as effective as sitting with back braced against a pad, which improves the effect while allowing the use of a single dumbbell held at the end with two hands. This is the version Coleman uses.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2006, 03:04:33 PM »
I do these in a variety of ways, standing, flat bench, and with db, but my favorite way to do them is with a E-Z bar on an incline bench, you might give that a try.

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2006, 12:56:38 AM »
the best way to do skul crusher is sitting up right with a dumbbell holding it in 2 hands....just use like a 110 or a 120.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2006, 01:47:43 AM »
the best way to do skul crusher is sitting up right with a dumbbell holding it in 2 hands....just use like a 110 or a 120.
This is not the same thing, it does not replace skull-crushers...what you described is over-head DB EXT, which is totally different.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2006, 04:04:39 AM »
The confusion on skulls that is evident here further underlines the point that even some "veteran" lifters confuse the differences slight variations make. Forget skull crushers, a useless exercise, and do very similar seated or lying behind the head extensions.

Extensions allow the added benefit of use of two-handed single dumbbell extensions instead of a barbell. Huge advantage in grip and reduction in elbow & wrist strain, with the dumbbell lowered to below the bench. Don't worry about elbow position.

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2006, 09:14:08 AM »
This is not the same thing, it does not replace skull-crushers...what you described is over-head DB EXT, which is totally different.

ive alwasy called them skull crushers...so has everyone ive known.

...in it you are "crushing your skull" sort of?

so u think i could do "over head dumbbell" extensions" and "skull crushers" on the same day?
d[-_-]b actin all cool

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2006, 12:17:55 PM »
Skull Crushers are not DB Extensions.