Author Topic: STARTING NEW TRAINING PROGRAM---EACH BODYPART 4 TIMES A WEEK !!!  (Read 8825 times)

Peaking at 45 !!!

• Getbig III
  • Getbig
My workouts have pretty much peaked of late poundage wise, and I feel a need to go with a different program for a while to try to shock my muscles into more growth and development.

In last months Flex magazine (the one with ronnie on the cover), there is a training article on "Overtraining for new gains "  where you work each bodypart 4 times a week, but each training session you only do 3 sets for each bodypart with just one exercise, with timed rest periods between sets.

Just started this program yesterday, and if I have decent results in a months time, I will post it here and let everyone know.

The only thing I will probably deviate from is I will work my legs only about twice a week instead of 4 times a week. We will see how it goes !!!      ;)

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
Re: STARTING NEW TRAINING PROGRAM---EACH BODYPART 4 TIMES A WEEK !!!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 08:37:11 AM »
I think you're only supposed to do Overreaching programs like that for 4-6 weeks, then take at least a week off.
:-)

Peaking at 45 !!!

• Getbig III
  • Getbig
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 08:45:34 AM »
I think you're only supposed to do Overreaching programs like that for 4-6 weeks, then take at least a week off.

Right, it is actually a 6 week course, with the 1st 4 weeks being the 4 times a week each bodypart, and the last 2 weeks you just work each bodypart once a week.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 09:55:27 AM »
OK, well, no harm in trying it.

SupplementGuy

• Getbig III
  • I'm the kind of a person who's the type of dog...
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 04:26:28 PM »
it was better the first time when it was called HST...

SG  ::)

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 02:11:48 PM »
OK, well, no harm in trying it.
nope jsut take all your measurments before you change things up
bodybuildersreality.com

stayhungry

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 02:27:18 PM »
thats kinda stupid unless you take megqa steroids, and or just started working out. reason?????? cause your body needs to grow by healing after youvfe torn up themuscle. that much tearing and noe healing will get you nowhere but injuryville. 8)

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 05:36:07 PM »
thats kinda stupid unless you take megqa steroids, and or just started working out. reason?????? cause your body needs to grow by healing after youvfe torn up themuscle. that much tearing and noe healing will get you nowhere but injuryville. 8)

It's called overreaching.  Your body doesn't shift into overtraining mode after only several weeks, the point is to take yourself to the brink of overtraining and then stop, and let your body recoup.  It's been proven to work, and I've found that it is an effective way to plan around a vacation or extremely busy work week, or simply to break out of a plateau.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 05:43:36 PM »
So how did they come up with 4 days a week to be optimal
Z

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 06:02:52 PM »

Oh it's really really scientific, you wouldn't understand  ;)

Peaking at 45 !!!

• Getbig III
  • Getbig
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 08:54:31 PM »
So far so good, 1st week almost over with, arms are up about 1/8 of an inch, and I have more of a pumped full feeling  in my muscles thruout the day.. I am enjoying this routine because there are timed rest periods, so you really have to keep moving, and you get a good pump.'

Even though its 4 times a week, its only 3 sets per bodypart, so thats not a heck of a lot, but each set is an intense set.

On my 3rd workout my strength did go down by a couple of reps in a few exercises.

Hey, its interesting to experiment, keeps things fresh, and hopefully, you will grow some more !!!

:)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 01:58:09 AM »
How long are the rest periods?
Z

Peaking at 45 !!!

• Getbig III
  • Getbig
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 08:45:58 AM »
Rest periods are 2 minutes between sets, except for the chest sets, which is 3 minutes between sets.

So far it is a good routine. Already have 1/8 gain on the arms, and no matter what you want to call it , 1/8 is 1/8 !!!

Now , if I can continue that and maybe gain another couple of 1/8"s over the next few weeks, we are looking at a 3/8" to possibly 1/2" gain !!!  Will that happen ? Maybe yes, maybe no, but so far so good !!!

P.S. For those of you that claim the 1/8 could be due to a lot of factors other than training, well, I think not. I measure my arms all the time, and they do not fluctuate -------they always stay constant and do not change 1/8" or so like some other people  experience. Thats just my body. 

Try it !  ;)

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006, 10:31:51 AM »
Is it HST that ur doing??

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

Peaking at 45 !!!

• Getbig III
  • Getbig
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2006, 07:38:46 PM »
Dont know a lot about hst, from what I do know, I guess this is similar. This is really a very simple routine, its only 3 good hard sets per bodypart per workout, and each bodypart 4 times a week.

:)

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2006, 09:33:36 PM »
Is it HST that ur doing??

davie

It's like a doubled-up version of HST, the point is to cause your muscles to reach the point where they nearly lapse into overtraining, then, you back off a LOT and let them do a good bit of recovering.

Peaking at 45 !!!

• Getbig III
  • Getbig
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2006, 10:04:14 PM »
Update : after the end of my 2nd week of this new routine I have gained almost 3/8" on my arms !!! I have not measured my other bodyparts, but everything seems to have improved a little----even got some compliments from my fellow gym members noticing that I'm improving.
So far so good, we will see how the next two weeks goes !!!
I do not feel overtrained at all, and I have a tight, pumped kind of feeling in my muscles thruout the day with this program.
Gains are gains, and this new routine alone is responsible for my new gains in two weeks time. I have not changed my eating habits or hours of sleep or anything at all. I was already  training in full stride when I decided to give this routine a try, so it is this routine alone that is responsible for my gains.
If anyone wants to add close to 3/8" to their arms in 2 weeks time, they should try this routine and see what happens !!!
Good luck !!!   So far this is great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Peaking at 45 !!!

• Getbig III
  • Getbig
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2006, 10:09:30 PM »
P.S. I might add that I pretty much go to failure on most sets, but not all sets------probably close to half of my sets I may still have a rep or two left in me if I really pushed it to ultimate failure.

The key thing with this routine is good hard sets, but its the 4 tjimes a week frequency that is triggering the growth (and with only doing 3 sets per bodypart per workout---------its hardly what you call overtraining-----after all-----thats only 12 sets a week per bodypart !!! )

SupplementGuy

• Getbig III
  • I'm the kind of a person who's the type of dog...
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2006, 06:49:34 AM »
this training is not intended for going to failure on every set...

Peaking at 45 !!!

• Getbig III
  • Getbig
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2006, 07:45:08 AM »
this training is not intended for going to failure on every set...

???  This routine as stated in the article in Flex magazine is to go to failure on each set-------------it may be related to hst-------all I can say is the key thing for this routine is not the exercises, but the training frequency.

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2006, 03:19:52 PM »
???  This routine as stated in the article in Flex magazine is to go to failure on each set-------------it may be related to hst-------all I can say is the key thing for this routine is not the exercises, but the training frequency.

Could you post your exact work out for a week?  This seems very interesting.  What about cardio?

Peaking at 45 !!!

• Getbig III
  • Getbig
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2006, 08:27:17 PM »
Could you post your exact work out for a week?  This seems very interesting.  What about cardio?

I dont do any cardio with this routine. The 1st week the reps are 10 -12, 2nd  week 8-10, 3rd week 6-8, and 4th week 4-6 reps per set.   

You do one exercise per bodypart per workout, and just 3 sets per bodypart (you may want to do a warm up set or two if necessary).

You are supposed to go to failure on each set, but I do that on about half of my sets, and the other half I may have one or two reps left in me---so they are all good hard sets.

Its supposed to be 2 days working out, 1 day rest, 2 days working out, 2 days rest. So thats 4 workouts in a week.

You work the entire body each workout (although I am only doing legs once or twice a week--I am mainly concentrating on my upper body)

You do 2 different exercises for each bodypart per week.

1st week (10 to 12 reps per set)

Monday and Thursday routine
Squat 3 sets,   3 minutes rest between sets
Calf raises 3 sets, 2 minutes rest between sets
Incline dumbell press 3 sets , 3 minutes rest
Barbell presses 3 sets , 2 minutes rest
bent over rows (I use dumbells) 3 sets , 2 minutes rest
barbell curls 3 sets , 2 minutes rest
triceps extension (I do standing) 3 sets , 2 minutes rest

tuesday and friday routine (same sets and reps and rest periods as above, only the exercises change)

Leg press
seated calf raise
Incline dumbell flyes
laterial raises
chinups
preacher curls (I use dumbells)
triceps pushdown

There you have it. I changed a few of the exercises around for my own perference---------the key thing with this routine is not the exercises, but the training frequency.

This routine alone is responsible for my best gains ever in a 3 week period (while already training in full stride).

Anyone looking to get out of a stale routine or get some new gains going should try this routine !!! ;)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2006, 09:24:04 PM »
Basically the same amount of volume as those who do the one BP/week thing.
all I can say is the key thing for this routine is not the exercises, but the training frequency.

But everyone knows that training one BP/week is the best way to get gains.  ::)
:

Peaking at 45 !!!

• Getbig III
  • Getbig
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2006, 09:30:21 PM »
Basically the same amount of volume as those who do the one BP/week thing.
But everyone knows that training one BP/week is the best way to get gains.  ::)

Hmmmm....What about a certain current Mr. Olympia who has been training each bodypart twice a week now for who knows how long ?

Well....

Peaking at 45 !!!

• Getbig III
  • Getbig
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2006, 09:34:44 PM »
P.S. This routine of 4 times a week (as stated above in one of the replys), is meant to be a short term program to spur growth, and guess what....

IT WORKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!