Author Topic: Chest exercises that doesn't include pressing  (Read 2756 times)

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
Chest exercises that doesn't include pressing
« on: April 08, 2014, 03:57:47 AM »
Hi folks.

Just looking for ideas here. I've got a bit of a rib injury that's making it difficult to do any pressing movements. I do cable crossovers and dumbells flies for 6 sets each and leave it at that. I'm not really getting any DOMS from this despite my best efforts.

What other options do I have for chest training?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: Chest exercises that doesn't include pressing
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 08:57:32 AM »
May not want to be too concerned with DOMS, never a indicator of a good workout or potential of muscle growth. Just means your sore.

If your gym has a pec deck, may want to try that for awhile. If you can do dips (elbows somewhat close to the body) may want to try those also. With dips your press down and alone side the body. With benches or overhead presses your pressing out and away from the body, which can affect the ribs more. Guessing your referring to the intercostal muscles and not any bone/ligament/tendon injury?

Good Luck..
F

Dicki_Nurmom

• Getbig II
  • FILT RULES!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 02:59:53 AM »
you could have a tranny suck on your nipples really hard....

seriously though... if you can't press you could still try isometrics... locking a pressed weight into a couple of specific positions in the lift and holding it there for time... i suppose push ups hurt just like pressing? have you tried icing the ribs before lifting?

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 06:37:52 PM »
you could have a tranny suck on your nipples really hard....

seriously though... if you can't press you could still try isometrics... locking a pressed weight into a couple of specific positions in the lift and holding it there for time... i suppose push ups hurt just like pressing? have you tried icing the ribs before lifting?

Not tried icing yet. I'll give it a go. I tried training chest today and could do very light seated chest presses if I twist myself into a certain position. I went to give dumbell presses ago and couldn't even press the weights up ... and this was the 20kg dumbells  >:(

It's literally just under my left pec muscle. Between the lat and nipple if you draw a straight line. I'm sorry, I know it doesn't help anyone identify the area. Although, I have to press deep for it to start hurting. Don't even feel it during cable crossovers. However dumbell flies are now also starting to hurt.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 01:34:04 AM »
Hi folks.

Just looking for ideas here. I've got a bit of a rib injury that's making it difficult to do any pressing movements. I do cable crossovers and dumbells flies for 6 sets each and leave it at that. I'm not really getting any DOMS from this despite my best efforts.

What other options do I have for chest training?
cable crossovers supersets with push ups , try using Hands on bench or feet on bench.. Play with the angles and i am sure you will be able to do it. Body Position can make a big Impact.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 07:26:49 AM »
dips superset with cablecrossovers

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 08:40:33 AM »
Sounds like the intercostal area. Which may be a slight rupture/tear. Has happened (sooner or later) to many BB'ers.

You may not want to ice the area before training. Ice will only constrict the blood flow and you need a warm and active blood flow to the muscle worked. Actually might use a heating element, like a lotion, patch, gel, etc to keep the region warm. Heat brings more blood, which will also nourish the muscle area and help with healing.

An intercostal injury is hard to train around. If matters seem not getting better (or worse) than might suggest taking a couple weeks off on any direct/pressing chest training. And than come back to chest work better than ever.

Good Luck.

F

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 08:29:19 AM »
I believe there's no specific answer. One person has no problems at all in a certain area, while another guy experiences pain, so it's just a matter of trial and error with light weights.

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 07:55:42 PM »
i once had slight rib injury but still do pressing movement but with dumbbells,might want to play with elbow placement a little bit,i do them with elbow closer to my body,but not as close as narrow grip
T