Author Topic: Who fasts here?  (Read 4971 times)

dustin

Re: Who fasts here?
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2014, 08:40:30 AM »
I dont understand how anyone can report feeling good from fasting. Explain this to me please. Starving oneself does not seem like a pleasant experience.

You don't understand it because you're not aware of just how little food the human body can get by on. Even if you're under 10% body fat, you have pounds and pounds of fat to go through. Your muscles have glycogen and if you're really in a pinch, your body will catabolize amino acids from your muscles. So really, we don't need to eat every 2-3 hours. We don't even need to eat more than twice a day. I've seen people fast for days on end, but I don't advocate that. However, they do very well, have good glucose metabolism, etc.

I think if you can, try fasting all day and just eat after the gym. You'll burn fat all day, leptin and ghrelin will settle down and all the hunger/GI peptides will become more balanced, as well as your pancreas. Your pancreas will get a nice break and your muscles will have better glucose sensitivity. This is really important for your physique, and when you have sugar in the blood stream it's very toxic so the exposure should be minimized. Basically everything just works better and you damage your body far less.

I'm not a fan of the huge, metabolically damaging fasts or drinking any stupid teas or anything. Just don't eat like a fucking pig and see how it works. Thousands of years ago we never ate like the way we do now. And just not having a gut that's rumbling all day is reason enough for me to eat lighter and try to fast, if possible. I'm not strict though. If I want to eat, I'll eat. I don't like rigid rules and just listen to my body. People can think that fasting is extreme, but intermittent fasting isn't. If you can pull off even just one intermittent fasting day a week it's a huge bonus.

People think that fasting or intermittent fasting is extreme, but in hindsight it's actually the all day eating and grazing that's extreme. No one's ever done that, comparatively speaking until just recently. I think eating once or twice per day is the best for our metabolism and overall health. I never felt good when I ate 6 times a day. Two steaks and a chicken breast, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, toast, egg whites and oatmeal. I used to do that every fucking day, plus around 10 protein shakes. You can thank the good fools at bodybuilding.com for their dogma. Now I just eat a snack and one beautiful dinner each evening after the gym and I feel so much better. And on days where I'm extra hungry, I have two big meals. Big whoop. Not too complicated or extreme at all.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2014, 09:01:36 AM »
Very well put, Dustin.

Lots of good stuff in here fellas, keep it coming 8)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2014, 09:03:42 AM »
I fasted for a day once during Ramadan, just to see what it'd be like to be a smelly cunt

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahahahahahahhahaah!

spiro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2014, 10:02:07 AM »
My dad has always gone the whole day without eating. When he gets home from work around 8-9 he spends the rest of the night eating and watching tv. He eats a ton of fruits and vegetables he's incredibly healthy. 63 years old and he still runs 5-6 miles a few times a week and he weight trains. He spends a ton of time In the garden when it's warm. My parents home is surrounded by fruit trees he planted and beautiful flowers. In the afternoon he spends the rest of the day at the restaurant my parents own. They both work 7 days a week. Amazing people. He basically lives like a spartin.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2014, 10:56:08 AM »
You want to know how to best "break" the fast?

Depends.

If you've been going for 24 hours, not such a big deal. Try to eat good food though. It's going to absorb quickly.

I would start of first with lots of liquids and fruits and then Oatmeal and egg whites.

You probably won't want to go to IHOP and load up on bacon, eggs, pancakes, waffles, syrups, juices, coffee... you will be headed for the bathroom in a hurry and prob spend the rest of the day wishing you had just kept fasting instead.

Break a fast gently, just like you would if you had competed. It can be dangerous over-loading your body with shit after emptying all the shit out.

Start off with an electrolyte water with vitamins and minerals and then keep eating easily digested/bland foods until you can work your way up to what you prefer.

If you fast regularly, you will find that you really won't ever like to stuff yourself with crap again. You will always kind of be fasting on some level because you will never want to over-eat and you will drink lots of fluids... daily.

At least, that's my experience ~

dustin

« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2014, 11:01:28 AM »
You want to know how to best "break" the fast?

Depends.

If you've been going for 24 hours, not such a big deal. Try to eat good food though. It's going to absorb quickly.

I would start of first with lots of liquids and fruits and then Oatmeal and egg whites.

You probably won't want to go to IHOP and load up on bacon, eggs, pancakes, waffles, syrups, juices, coffee... you will be headed for the bathroom in a hurry and prob spend the rest of the day wishing you had just kept fasting instead.

Break a fast gently, just like you would if you had competed. It can be dangerous over-loading your body with shit after emptying all the shit out.

Start off with an electrolyte water with vitamins and minerals and then keep eating easily digested/bland foods until you can work your way up to what you prefer.

If you fast regularly, you will find that you really won't ever like to stuff yourself with crap again. You will always kind of be fasting on some level because you will never want to over-eat and you will drink lots of fluids... daily.

At least, that's my experience ~

Good advice.

If you want to crush a Big Mac, you're probably at the stage where hunger is still rampant and it would be bad to break the fast at that point, especially with bad foods. If you fast much longer, you'll want something that'll curb your satiety but won't send you to the shitter. It's crazy how our bodies work. Most people say "if I don't eat all day I'll just crush my fridge or a pile of fast food"... no you won't. Not if you fast properly.

I like how it frees up so much time and that I shit better too. I'm not shitting and eating all the time. I shit quickly and properly and I can have one nice big meal with my wife after the gym instead of stuffing dry chicken breasts in my pocket and worrying about catabolism. :o ;D

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2014, 11:53:12 AM »

a lot of good info in here on this.

i fast every day for anywhere from 20-24 hours. i train fasted. yes, you'll be hungry as your body adapts from being fed 6 times a day to only once or twice, but its to be expected. once you get your body used to the fasting its a piece of cake.

there is def a mental clarity and energy on the fast. almost drug like energy if you can go upwards of 36 hours and avoids carbs when you start to eat again. carbs tend to blunt it for some reason. drug like and almost euphoric. i dont understand the chemical processes involved but fuck it feels good. i have noticed you can hold that energy into perpetuity if you stay away from carbs and go stirctly fats/protein.

as dustin alludes to (good posting sir) that we are not biologically designed to be farmers and eat 6 times a day. we are nomadic hunter gatherers who ate sparsely, fasted a lot unwillingly at times and ate when they made a kill. we've become sedentary fatsos- why do you think despite all the 'fat free' and 'low carbs' food available, and everything that is 'known' about 'how to eat' we are a populations of fat retards? even people who supposedly eat well are fat. look at olympian athletes- they should be ripped to the fucking bone all sinew and tissue fuck most girls look fucking chubby ffs. think they are all congregating at the local walmart Mcdonalds to stuff their faces? no they have diets, coaches and nutritionists. but they are all FAT. so much for the 'science of eating'.

its all wrong. eating 5-6 times a day makes you fat. period. every time you eat you release insulin, which ages you, and is a storage hormone. on top of that it inhibits lypolysis (google it and educate yourselves).

of all, the threads i have read online, and all the advise i have given, this one has the ability to change your life for the greatest good.

its just that we are addicted to eating and carbs. break the cycle guys.
b

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2014, 12:50:42 PM »
look at olympian athletes- they should be ripped to the fucking bone all sinew and tissue fuck most girls look fucking chubby ffs. think they are all congregating at the local walmart Mcdonalds to stuff their faces? no they have diets, coaches and nutritionists. but they are all FAT. so much for the 'science of eating'.

Well, yes and no.

etc.

I know plenty of people who eat 5 meals a day and are shredded. Naturals as well.

On the other hand, Klokov trains on empty stomach. Eating patterns are a matter of convenience. You could find anecdotal evidence that pretty much anything works as long as you are in caloric deficit.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2014, 12:55:52 PM »
Fasting is like dancing, only women and homosexuals perform that act.

x2

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2014, 12:59:31 PM »
Well, yes and no.

etc.

I know plenty of people who eat 5 meals a day and are shredded. Naturals as well.

On the other hand, Klokov trains on empty stomach. Eating patterns are a matter of convenience. You could find anecdotal evidence that pretty much anything works as long as you are in caloric deficit.

the women bro. i was talking about the women. you might find a few who are ripped but the majority are fat.

AND those guys are enhanced out the ass.
b

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2014, 01:04:12 PM »
You don't understand it because you're not aware of just how little food the human body can get by on. Even if you're under 10% body fat, you have pounds and pounds of fat to go through. Your muscles have glycogen and if you're really in a pinch, your body will catabolize amino acids from your muscles. So really, we don't need to eat every 2-3 hours. We don't even need to eat more than twice a day. I've seen people fast for days on end, but I don't advocate that. However, they do very well, have good glucose metabolism, etc.

I think if you can, try fasting all day and just eat after the gym. You'll burn fat all day, leptin and ghrelin will settle down and all the hunger/GI peptides will become more balanced, as well as your pancreas. Your pancreas will get a nice break and your muscles will have better glucose sensitivity. This is really important for your physique, and when you have sugar in the blood stream it's very toxic so the exposure should be minimized. Basically everything just works better and you damage your body far less.

I'm not a fan of the huge, metabolically damaging fasts or drinking any stupid teas or anything. Just don't eat like a fucking pig and see how it works. Thousands of years ago we never ate like the way we do now. And just not having a gut that's rumbling all day is reason enough for me to eat lighter and try to fast, if possible. I'm not strict though. If I want to eat, I'll eat. I don't like rigid rules and just listen to my body. People can think that fasting is extreme, but intermittent fasting isn't. If you can pull off even just one intermittent fasting day a week it's a huge bonus.

People think that fasting or intermittent fasting is extreme, but in hindsight it's actually the all day eating and grazing that's extreme. No one's ever done that, comparatively speaking until just recently. I think eating once or twice per day is the best for our metabolism and overall health. I never felt good when I ate 6 times a day. Two steaks and a chicken breast, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, toast, egg whites and oatmeal. I used to do that every fucking day, plus around 10 protein shakes. You can thank the good fools at bodybuilding.com for their dogma. Now I just eat a snack and one beautiful dinner each evening after the gym and I feel so much better. And on days where I'm extra hungry, I have two big meals. Big whoop. Not too complicated or extreme at all.

So liberating to let go of the bulking bullshit and just listen to the body's needs.

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2014, 01:06:20 PM »
So liberating to let go of the bulking bullshit and just listen to the body's needs.

yes bro 100%!

we've been fed bullshit by science and supplement companies alike for decades. force feeding ourselves calories and protein we really dont need. its amazing really.

b

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2014, 01:27:15 PM »
the women bro. i was talking about the women. you might find a few who are ripped but the majority are fat.

AND those guys are enhanced out the ass.

Ok, my bad. I didn't understand what you meant.

By the way, Klokov is good example to pull if someone says that he cannot "train hard" on empty stomach. It's a matter of getting adjusted to it. If somoene thinks he is "hardcore" and "trains for strength so he cannot train fasted" he should go to mother Russia and try to keep up with mr Klokov. Well, good luck XD

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2014, 01:59:31 PM »
yes bro 100%!

we've been fed bullshit by science and supplement companies alike for decades. force feeding ourselves calories and protein we really dont need. its amazing really.

Especially carbs and meat are advocated to gorge on with no regards to individual need. I started on that stuff too, with the gainer shakes and all.. The industry tells you, If you are an ectomorph (which most teen kids are in the beginning) you are eating to little.

Too many times I got fat gains that could have been avoided by not forcing down food. Silly really

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2014, 02:02:57 PM »
I don't. Also the spring is a natural bulking phase. You can feel it's really paying dividend to increase calories, it all goes to muscle mass and energy in the spring.

Also, you are much healthier, and less toxic if you avoid fasting.  That's just a myth to make the slaves cheaper to run.

dustin

« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2014, 02:15:58 PM »

Absolutely. Every Sunday I spent the entire day baking trays of chicken breasts, I'd cook steaks every few days until I would actually be repulsed by the thought of red meat, my house would be steamed up from boiling pasta and brown rice (I'm Asian, why the fuck did I ever eat that shit!?)... now I love food again, I still cook everyday but it's with a huge passion!! I stopped looking at food and "seeing macros". Now I just see the food. I cook a portion that has enough protein to meet my nutritional requirements and if I'm being a fatty McFatass, I just try skimping on the carbs and adding more veggies. That's my diet - eat enough protein, don't be a fatass, cheat only if it'll keep me on track. Does that sound complicated at all? Nope. Am I shredded like a cock? Yep.

What others said about eating all the time and being ripped - it's definitely possible. Anything's possible. I know guys eating 4000-5000 cals a day with twice as many carbs as protein. But do they have to do that? Absolutely not. Unless they're an endurance athlete and burn that many calories... not many people burn that much energy in a day. So why would you run on the spot and eat all that shit just to spent time in the kitchen and in the can shitting it all out? Be a minimalist. Don't go and complicate shit that doesn't need to be complicated. Life is complicated and convoluted enough. Just eat when you need to and spend the other 24 hours of your day not eating and shitting. I love food, don't get me wrong. But being a slave to food was thankfully a short lived phase. But I spent a good 4-5 years doing that very strictly and very meticulously. I don't joke when I say 10 shakes either. I'd go through a jug and a half of milk each day and a tub of protein like every week. But the sponsors from bb.com used to send me free product to shill because people liked my postings. And I feel very guilty for preaching, even though I practiced what I preached and believed it with every shred of my being.

I just think it's so much easier to not eat like a pig and learn to love food again. You'll usually look better, feel better, save money, reclaim lost hours due to cooking, eating and shitting, etc. People can make any "diet" work as long as they commit to it and make sure that their results continue to compound, but why take the shitty and difficult road when there's absolutely no gain? Our bodies aren't meant to eat all the time. If your gut is rumbling and gurgling 24/7 because you've got to constantly shit, it really impedes your ability to train and leaves you with discomfort all day long. I can't even eat 4-5 hours before training anymore because I feel so much better training fasted. I still lift heavy as fuck too, so the strength drop is only temporary.

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2014, 02:28:29 PM »
I don't. Also the spring is a natural bulking phase. You can feel it's really paying dividend to increase calories, it all goes to muscle mass and energy in the spring.

Also, you are much healthier, and less toxic if you avoid fasting.  That's just a myth to make the slaves cheaper to run.

Actually I put that wrong. I never bulk or fast. 

Never make a conscious effort to eat in a way that contradicts what you mentally and physically sense is right for the moment.

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2014, 02:30:31 PM »
I remain gnarly intelligent and creepy ripped at all times.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2014, 02:32:38 PM »
I fast from midnight until noon......then I eat just a small meal......maybe a chicken sandwich.....maybe a protein drink......then I will eat dinner before training around 8pm.

after training.....I will eat another meal around 9:30 or 10pm........one more protein drink before bed.

I never do a full day of fasting though.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2014, 09:56:00 PM »
Yes, lots of water/tea/coffee... nothing with any caloric content though.

As for your second question, 50-60% of your BMR is just your body digesting and assimilating nutrients.  The gastrointestinal tract is basically one big muscle.  Now if your body doesn't have to expend that energy to digest food, that is that much more energy you'll have available for other activities.

You know how you feel lethargic and sluggish after eating a really big meal?  That's your body diverting available energy to the digestion process.... fasting basically makes you experience the OPPOSITE of that sensation.

Hmmmm, I do not know. I guess I will have to try and see how I feel.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2014, 09:58:54 PM »

Good post. Thanks a lot :)
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2014, 12:09:13 AM »
Though the one thing I am trying to do is limit my portions. In America the portions are huge. Im trying to learn to eat to the point where I am content, but not bloated or stuffed. I hate that feeling.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2014, 12:12:25 AM »
The Truth About 6 Meals a Day for Weight Loss

Three squares a day -- breakfast, lunch, and dinner -- is a way of life for many of us. But some diet experts believe more frequent meals could be better. Eating six small meals a day, they say, helps regulate blood sugar, control cravings and keep hunger at bay.

As long as you choose the right foods and watch portion sizes, "grazing" throughout the day can help you lose weight while keeping you energized.  But it's not for everyone -- especially if you have trouble controlling the amount you eat or if you don’t have time to plan and prepare and healthy snacks and meals.
The Truth About 6 Meals a Day

Hunger is a dieter’s worst enemy. That gnawing feeling usually occurs between meals, when blood sugar levels drop.  In theory, if you divide your daily calorie allotment into several small meals throughout the day, hunger won’t be an issue.

Jorge Cruise’s The 3 Hour Diet  is one diet book that claims frequent small meals can rev up your metabolism and help you burn calories. But while eating more frequently seems to help some people control hunger, the scientific evidence indicates that there's nothing magical about it. Ultimately, what matters most is reducing your total calories -- regardless of the number of meals or snacks.

A review in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition concluded there was no real weight loss advantage to eating six meals a day.  Another study, in the British Journal of Nutrition, found no weight loss difference between dieters who ate their calories in three meals daily or six meals a day.
What Should You Eat?

Eating more frequently could actually mean less nutrition and more calories if you don’t carefully plan out your snacks and meals.

Calorie requirements are determined by age, sex, physical activity levels, and weight loss goals.  Most adults need about 1,500-2,200 calories for weight loss, unless they're very active. (See WebMD's Food and Fitness Planner to calculate your own calorie requirements.)

For maximum satisfaction, each mini-meal or snack should include lean- or low-fat protein, fiber, and a little healthy fat. For good nutrition, try to include at least one fruit or veggie in each mini-meal.

Good protein sources include lean meat, seafood, low-fat dairy (yogurt, cheese, milk), eggs, nuts, beans, and soy.  Fiber-rich foods include whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and beans. Healthy fats come from vegetable oils, avocados, nuts, and fatty fish.

Here are some healthy mini-meals that are easy to prepare:

An apple with a piece of cheese and light popcorn
    Egg, slice of whole-wheat toast, and half a grapefruit
    Grilled chicken sandwich with veggies
    Whole-grain roll with peanut butter and banana
    Hummus, whole-grain crackers, and baby carrots
    Smoothie made with yogurt, fruit, and juice
    Waldorf salad and half a turkey sandwich

X

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2014, 12:22:04 AM »
Could you expand on this?  I've never fasted as long as you have, usually only 36-48 hours, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on how to best break the fast

I only do a long fast once or twice a year and I do think shorter fasts can be just as helpful. I tend to do a long one when I'm mentally bogged down so my process kind of reflects this.

Two days before starting I'll stop animal products. The day before I'll just eat very lightly. I don't feel good starting a fast if I still have a pile of food digesting inside me. Depending on how I feel I may or may not eat that night before.

When I break the fast I'll take 2-3 days to start eating more complex foods, so typically my first meal afterward is a piece of fruit, with some vegetable soup for dinner.

The next day I'll eat a little more than the first day back, perhaps adding some rice or 'heavier' more fibrous veggies.

Third day back I'll introduce a little bread and some nuts/seeds. Maybe I'll have some plain yoghurt (I tend to avoid dairy anyway).

Fourth day back in and I'll have some eggs.

Day 5 I'll start back with chicken or fish.

I don't really see the sense in giving your body a break only to jam it full of food again the minute you stop. It takes awhile (for me at least) to get back up to speed and I try and think in terms of how long something will take to digest. I know nuts are pretty complex but I don't go overboard. Other than the nuts I'll try and keep fats as low as I can until the end.

If I'm just eating intermittently though (like just having dinner, or just breakfast and lunch or whatever) then I don't worry too much.

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2014, 12:27:31 AM »