Author Topic: Niners  (Read 143410 times)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Re: Niners
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2014, 07:35:48 AM »
We now have 4 legit pro bowl wide recievers on our team in Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, and Lloyd. Plus Patton is actually that speedy guy we need to stretch downfield.

Lamichael James is a great athlete, but he fumbles the ball. And Kendall Hunter has consistently gotten more yards per carry and proven himself an all around better athlete anyways.

Rangers just lost 40% of their rotation last night to season ending injuries.

Looks like it'll be your A's slugging it out with the angels for first place.  >:(

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2014, 09:46:04 AM »
He's the guy who blamed God for a dropped touchdown pass that would ve won the game.

lol.  Didn't hear that one.

BTW, I think players who do the whole praying thing on field have it all wrong.  They should drop to their knees and pray after they drop a TD pass, loss a fumble, get burned for a TD, throw an INT, etc.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2014, 09:50:08 AM »
We now have 4 legit pro bowl wide recievers on our team in Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, and Lloyd. Plus Patton is actually that speedy guy we need to stretch downfield.

Lamichael James is a great athlete, but he fumbles the ball. And Kendall Hunter has consistently gotten more yards per carry and proven himself an all around better athlete anyways.

Patton is a possession receiver.  Not a speed guy.  The kid they just drafted is supposed to be pretty fast.

James is the return guy, but I agree Hunter was better out of the backfield.  Although I'm not sure James got enough touches to really be evaluated.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 03:28:41 PM »
Cha-ching.

Kaepernick signs six-year deal
Updated: June 4, 2014
ESPN.com news services

Colin Kaepernick and the San Francisco 49ers struck a deal Wednesday on a six-year contract extension, which sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter is worth more than $110 million -- including a record $61 million guaranteed.

The deal ties Kaepernick to the 49ers through the 2020 season and puts him among the 10 highest-paid quarterbacks in the NFL. He was scheduled to have made $1.073 million this season.

"Colin's hard work and dedication have played an integral role in the recent success of the 49ers organization," general manager Trent Baalke said in a statement. "His work ethic, leadership and on-field production have positively influenced our team, and we look forward to his continued growth in all areas."

Since taking over the starting job from Alex Smith midway through the 2011 season, Kaepernick led the 49ers to their first Super Bowl in 18 years after the 2012 season -- losing by three points to Baltimore -- and then to the NFC title game again last season, a three-point defeat to eventual Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks.

• EnlargeColin Kaepernick

Christian Petersen/Getty Images
Colin Kaepernick, who is 21-8 as the starting QB for the San Francisco 49ers, will receive a record $61 million in guaranteed money as part of his new six-year deal.
The extension is expected to have strong implications on potential deals for Cam Newton, Andy Dalton and Alex Smith this year, along with those for Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson next year, when they are eligible to sign their first contract extensions.

A second-round draft pick out of Nevada in 2011, Kaepernick has thrived under former NFL quarterback Jim Harbaugh -- and the coach has said how much he wants the mobile, strong-armed QB around for the long haul. Accomplishing an extension before the season is a big deal as the team begins its first year in $1.2 billion Levi's Stadium at team headquarters.

"I really expect a real breakout year for Colin. Athletically, he looks bionic," Harbaugh said during the organized team activity last week. "If you all remember the Six Million Dollar Man, that's what it looks like to me. He's very gifted and he always has been. He has the look and feel of a guy who's really going to break out, even more so than he already has. I'm really excited about everything about his game right now."

In a sensational playoff debut in January 2013 against Green Bay, Kaepernick used his speed to run for a quarterback-playoff-record 181 yards and two touchdowns. Then, in a season-opening win against the Packers last September, he threw for a career-best 412 yards and three scores.

Harbaugh remained optimistic of getting a new deal done, while Kaepernick said his only focus was on football and he was leaving it to his agents to do the rest. The quarterback had said he sought a "fair" deal.

He is regularly the first to arrive at work each morning and the last one off the field.

Kaepernick has completed 382 of 639 passes for 5,046 yards and 31 touchdowns. He also has started all six postseason games in which he has appeared, earning four wins and passing for 1,374 yards and seven touchdowns.

He said last week he hopes a Miami investigation from April that names him will soon be over.

Last month, Miami police released two calls to a 911 dispatcher saying a woman identifying herself as Jesus was lying naked in a bed and refusing to leave. The callers said the woman wanted to spend time with a third man who wasn't there.

Police say the other players involved in the case are 49ers wide receiver Quinton Patton and Seahawks receiver Ricardo Lockette. None of them has been charged with any wrongdoing.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11032829/colin-kaepernick-san-francisco-49ers-agrees-six-year-deal-worth-more-110-million

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2016, 03:07:26 PM »
Not sure exactly how I feel about this.

Chip Kelly hired as 49ers coach
Paul Gutierrez
ESPN Staff Writer

The San Francisco 49ers have hired Chip Kelly to be the 10th head coach in franchise history, 11 days after firing Jim Tomsula following a 5-11, one-and-done season.

Kelly, 52, interviewed with the 49ers last week. He was fired in his third season as coach of the Philadelphia Eagles with one week to go in the season and the Eagles languishing at 6-9.

"As one of the most historic franchises in the National Football League, I realize the high standards and expectations that this position demands and I embrace the challenges ahead," Kelly said in a statement. "My immediate focus is to build the best coaching staff possible, one that will maximize the abilities of each of our players and put us in the best position to win football games."

49ers CEO Jed York tweeted that he and general manager Trent Baalke selected Kelly, who will be introduced in a news conference next week, "after a thorough search."

Wide receiver Torrey Smith also tweeted about the hiring Thursday.

Kelly fits the criteria set forth by York and Baalke as a veteran coach with a big name and a clear vision -- a quick-strike offensive philosophy. It should be interesting to see how Kelly, who wanted a big say in personnel control in Philadelphia, interacts with Baalke, who, despite saying there is no iron fist in the organization, has a reputation as a personnel hard-liner.

Can Chip Kelly as coach, not GM, be the tonic for 49ers?

Chip Kelly won't have much say in personnel matters in San Francisco. Considering his track record in Philly, sticking to just coaching is best.

Chip Kelly just the coach to give Colin Kaepernick a fresh start with 49ers

If anyone can resurrect Colin Kaepernick's career, it's probably his new head coach.

Chip Kelly hiring puts pressure on Jeff Lurie, Eagles

With Chip Kelly off to San Francisco, the Eagles owner knows it's his move -- and it better be good.

"Chip possesses all the qualities we were looking for in our next head coach," Baalke said in a statement. "He has demonstrated the ability to be innovative everywhere he has coached and has had great success throughout his career. Chip's passion for the game and vision for the future of this team clearly stood out to us during the search process. He is an extremely driven individual that I look forward to working with."

Kelly, who went to Philadelphia after four seasons as coach at Oregon, had consecutive 10-6 seasons with the Eagles before this season's flameout that began with controversy over his handling of the roster.

He is just the second 49ers head coach since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger who has had previous NFL head-coaching experience (not counting Tomsula, who was an interim coach for one game before his hire). The other was Dennis Erickson, who went 9-23 in 2003 and 2004.

Kelly already has a connection with Niners senior personnel executive Tom Gamble, who had been with Kelly in Philadelphia.

Kelly was the first coach in Eagles history (and second in NFL history) to win a division title in his first season -- Philadelphia lost a wild-card round game to the New Orleans Saints -- and his 26 wins are tied with Ray Rhodes for third most by an Eagles coach in his first three seasons.

Speed meets speed

Chip Kelly's Eagles team averaged a play every 22.7 seconds in 2015, the fastest rate in the league by more than three seconds. But the 49ers were quick off the ball too, ranking fifth in time per play.

Shortest average time of possession per play - 2015

Team

Time*

Eagles 22.7
Giants 26.0
Texans 26.2
Jaguars 26.4
49ers 26.5

* In seconds
-- ESPN Stats & Information

The Eagles averaged a play once every 23.1 seconds of possession under Kelly, three seconds faster than any other team, per ESPN Stats & Information.

Philadelphia owes Kelly about $13 million over the next two years, but that total will be offset by the deal Kelly signs with San Francisco, a league source told ESPN's Darren Rovell.

Being an offensive-minded coach, Kelly fits the same bill as the seven candidates the Niners interviewed after they finished 31st in the league in total offense and last in scoring: Buffalo Bills assistant head coach/running backs coach Anthony Lynn, Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator John DeFilippo, Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter, Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson, former New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin and former Denver Broncos and Washington coach Mike Shanahan.

"Chip has a proven track record at both the college and NFL levels that speaks for itself," York said in a statement. "We believe strongly that he is the right man to get this team back to competing for championships. I look forward to watching Trent and Chip work closely to build a team that will make us all proud."

The 49ers had narrowed their finalists to Kelly and Shanahan earlier Thursday, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Kelly's hiring also brings to mind the future of quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who is recovering from three surgeries -- left shoulder, right thumb and left knee -- and was thought to be done in Santa Clara but whose skill set fits Kelly's offense.

Kaepernick's $11.9 million salary for 2016 becomes fully guaranteed for injury come April 1, and there had been belief the team might try to trade or release him.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14569856/san-francisco-49ers-hire-chip-kelly-next-coach

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2016, 12:15:15 PM »
Heath Evans ripped the move.

- Disciplined defenses dominated Chips offenses

- Chips defensive and offensive players get very tired at the end of the game

- Chip in 3 seasons averaged 30th or something in red zone scoring

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2016, 10:38:23 AM »
Heath Evans ripped the move.

- Disciplined defenses dominated Chips offenses

- Chips defensive and offensive players get very tired at the end of the game

- Chip in 3 seasons averaged 30th or something in red zone scoring

Not good. Although he did win with some pretty average talent.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2016, 01:25:43 PM »
Not good. Although he did win with some pretty average talent.

And got rid of all the good talent.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2016, 09:30:56 AM »
And got rid of all the good talent.

True.  He should not be in charge of personnel decisions. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2016, 01:47:05 PM »
They stink.  Again. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2016, 02:00:54 PM »
Well least my Niners didn't lose yesterday. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2017, 09:12:50 AM »
Can we fire Jed York??   >:(

49ers announce firings of coach Chip Kelly, GM Trent Baalke
Nick Wagoner
ESPN Staff Writer

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- The San Francisco 49ers made it official Sunday night that coach Chip Kelly has been relieved of his duties -- in addition to general manager Trent Baalke losing his job with the team.

Baalke had confirmed to a local radio station Sunday morning that he had been fired Friday, while Kelly said after the 49ers' loss in their season finale Sunday that he expected to meet with CEO Jed York to have a conversation about his future with the team.

"I have informed Trent and Chip of my decision to pursue new leadership for our football team," York said in a statement a short time later. "These types of conversations are never easy, especially when they involve people you respect personally and professionally.

"Despite my feelings for Trent and Chip, I felt the decision to change our football leadership was absolutely necessary. The performance of this team has not lived up to my expectations or those of our fans, and that is truly disappointing. We all expected to see this team progress and develop as the season went on, but unfortunately that did not happen. That is why now is the time to find a new direction for this team."

Kelly had three years remaining on his contract (the Eagles also still owe him a small portion); Baalke had two.

With Trent Baalke, Chip Kelly out, 49ers start from scratch in 2017

By firing GM Trent Baalke and coach Chip Kelly, the 49ers showed they are done patching holes and are ready for a full-on rebuild.
While fresh start makes sense, Chip Kelly deserved better from 49ers
San Francisco players never gave up on Chip Kelly amid mounting losses all season, both on game day and on the team's roster.

Tracking every NFL head-coaching change
Here's everything you need to know about the head-coach openings throughout the NFL.
Kelly said before the team's announcement that he would not be taken aback if he were let go after just one season.

"I don't think anything surprises me," Kelly said. "I live my life in vision, not circumstances, so I control what I can control, and what we can control is how we coach our players and the way we deal with them. If that's good enough, then that's good enough. If it's not good enough, then so be it. I'm proud of the way our guys played today."

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Saturday night that the Niners were expected to dismiss Baalke and Kelly.

Soon after that report came out, Kelly said he received a call and a voicemail from York, and when he returned the call, he and York had what Kelly described as a "normal" conversation.

Despite his uncertain future, Kelly said it wasn't hard for him to coach the season's final game, a 25-23 loss to the Seattle Seahawks.

"It wasn't," he said. "I love these players, so I think if I was distracted by anything else, I wouldn't be giving them what they deserve, and they give me everything on every day, so I have to give that back to them. Those guys are awesome.

"We have a bunch of guys who just competed and gave everything they had. One thing we talk about here all the time is don't complain. We're all privileged to play this game and coach this game, so every time you have an opportunity to do it, go out and do it."

Kelly said he didn't have any players asking him about his status before the game but acknowledged there were "a lot of hugs" in the locker room after it was over.

Kelly also said he didn't feel nervous about the meeting with York and that he didn't anticipate trying to plead a case to stay.

"I don't think I'm going to 'The People's Court,'" Kelly said. "He wants to have a conversation, so I'll have a conversation with him.

"I just think it's an end-of-the-year meeting, and we'll go discuss everything positive and negative about what went on this season and see what happened."

In the locker room, multiple players spoke out on Kelly's behalf while also noting that they understand the business side of the operation and the need for the 49ers to improve.

"He's a good dude," receiver Torrey Smith said. "I understand the business side of it. I think he's a good coach. I think he's a better person. But that's how this business goes. They let good people [go] in tough spots. When we lose like we did and have a season like we had, changes are made or can be made. From coaches to players, it's all of us, and we were all a part of the problem. That's why our record was what it was."

This is the second consecutive season the 49ers have fired their coach after just one year, having fired Jim Tomsula after the 2015 campaign. It's the second time since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger that a team has replaced back-to-back coaches after only one full season each, according to the Elias Sports Bureau, with San Francisco also having done so in 1976 and '77.

Earlier Sunday, Baalke told the radio station that his firing "was the right thing to do."

"You know, I've been here since 2005, and I have a lot of respect for the organization as a whole, and the ownership, the fan base. It's difficult, but it's the right thing to do," Baalke told KNBR Radio.

Asked whether the organization needed sweeping changes, Baalke told KNBR: "Sometimes you need to reset the culture. When you have a winning culture, which we did in 2011, '12, '13 and '14, a lot of good football players. A lot of memorable games we went through together.

"Then you transition. At some point, those veteran guys move on. Blending in with younger guys, and sometimes it takes a little longer than you'd like. And this is probably one of those situations."

Baalke said the firing did not surprise him.

"We've done some awful good things," he said. "Some very successful seasons. Unfortunately regret we weren't able to bring a championship to the Bay Area, which they so deserve. I think The Faithful has been great. Wish this organization nothing but the best moving forward. I do see a bright future for them."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18389711/san-francisco-49ers-announce-firings-gm-trent-baalke-coach-chip-kelly

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2017, 03:34:47 PM »
Thank you Bill Belicheat and the Pats for Jimmy G.  Bring on 2018.  All the Niners need to do now is draft that Barkley kid from Penn State. 

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2017, 05:22:48 AM »
Thank you Bill Belicheat and the Pats for Jimmy G.  Bring on 2018.  All the Niners need to do now is draft that Barkley kid from Penn State. 

If he's there when they pick.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2018, 09:29:35 AM »

If he's there when they pick.

Now that they have the 9th or 10th pick, I seriously doubt he will be there, particularly if he nails his combine and pro day workouts.  Bummer. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2018, 02:40:41 PM »
Just a note that Joe Montana never lost a Super Bowl and never threw an INT (much less a pick six) in a Super Bowl. 

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2018, 06:08:51 AM »
Just a note that Joe Montana never lost a Super Bowl and never threw an INT (much less a pick six) in a Super Bowl. 

In any of his 8 Super Bowl games?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2018, 01:56:35 PM »
In any of his 8 Super Bowl games?

Nah just the four he won.  Without a loss (or three).  Or a pick.  Or a fumble.  Or being the beneficiary of boneheaded coaching calls.  Or cheating.  Or help from the refs. 

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2018, 07:10:11 AM »
Nah just the four he won.  Without a loss (or three).  Or a pick.  Or a fumble.  Or being the beneficiary of boneheaded coaching calls.  Or cheating.  Or help from the refs. 

Montana took some hellacious hits when playing the Giants.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2018, 11:21:39 AM »

Montana took some hellacious hits when playing the Giants.

Maybe so, although he won more than he lost against the Giants. 

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2018, 06:06:21 AM »
Maybe so, although he won more than he lost against the Giants. 

As I Giants fan I can't recall that ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2018, 10:54:37 AM »

As I Giants fan I can't recall that ;D

8-4.  But I can relate.  As a Niner fan I can't recall them ever losing to the Cowboys.  My Cowboy hatred is so extreme that I refused to draft their players when I was playing fantasy football, before I retired as a five time champion.   :D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2018, 08:02:08 PM »
Another year, another snake bitten team.   :-\

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2019, 10:35:32 AM »
Sucked and missed out on the first overall pick, again.  Misery. 

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2019, 01:29:40 PM »

he also was benched in a playoff game for poor play

E
E