Author Topic: Just paid $38k in state taxes...  (Read 10023 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Just paid $38k in state taxes...
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2014, 12:46:34 AM »
Send them back to Africa
Just kidding

You are over simplifying this.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2014, 12:48:02 AM »
/
And for those who cannot afford charter schools? What is your suggestion here?

Public school. Where did I state this was not an option? I defended teachers.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2014, 12:50:10 AM »
It would seem some folks would suggest we throw them away. If but it were so simple. Think in terms of pay now or pay later.

What is your suggestion? You were a teacher. How often does one suddenly blossom after pissing away years of classroom opportunity? More funding will magically make apathetic students/parents give a shit?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2014, 12:57:02 AM »
It's annoying because it was so obvious that I was merely explaining the original post to someone. You responded like a hurt public school teacher.  :P

And yet I am not that. I am merely a parent and grandparent in an international family. I think this gives me perspective that many are not privy to. Three of my grandchildren have been educated in Germany and one in the U.S. Educating our young folks and preparing them is the most valuable tool we have for the future worldwide. Since I am old, the problems we face in education will have little impact on my life. However, education will impact mine and your grandchildren and great-grandchildren's lives and the future of our society.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2014, 01:07:05 AM »
What is your suggestion? You were a teacher. How often does one suddenly blossom after pissing away years of classroom opportunity? More funding will magically make apathetic students/parents give a shit?

I was not a teacher other than that any adult should set an example for young folks to follow. I agree that there are no simple answers. There are some truths though which should not be ignored. Educators are not by definition the problem, nor are their wages. Some kids do throw away their opportunity to become educated and this will always be the case, unfortunately. As for blossoming, some folks are "late bloomers". Perhaps the world is less forgiving of these people then it once was and that is just how it is. I don't think more funding is necessarily the solution, but I do think bashing those folks on the frontlines of education today will not solve anything either. Teachers are not the problem. We need to look beyond this and work to resolve the gaps in education as best we can because the future is in the hands of those who follow us.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2014, 10:03:08 AM »
You are over simplifying this.

True, we also need to send several million back to Mexico.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2014, 10:44:44 AM »
I was not a teacher other than that any adult should set an example for young folks to follow. I agree that there are no simple answers. There are some truths though which should not be ignored. Educators are not by definition the problem, nor are their wages. Some kids do throw away their opportunity to become educated and this will always be the case, unfortunately. As for blossoming, some folks are "late bloomers". Perhaps the world is less forgiving of these people then it once was and that is just how it is. I don't think more funding is necessarily the solution, but I do think bashing those folks on the frontlines of education today will not solve anything either. Teachers are not the problem. We need to look beyond this and work to resolve the gaps in education as best we can because the future is in the hands of those who follow us.

When their solutions are simply increased funding and idiotic programs like "common core," they should be called out on it. And how is offering a trade alternative "throwing them away?" This is based on the misguided PC liberal mentality that everyone has the ability to be a scholar, which is simply dishonest. Some are just not academically inclined, an unfortunate truth.

My suggestion actually empowers the "throw aways" by giving them something perhaps more interesting and indefinitely more productive to pursue. The unrealistic do-gooders would have them sit mindlessly in a classroom for a few extra fruitless years, watching the minutes tick away on the clock. Then unleash them on the world at 18, totally unequipped to fend for themselves. Just so the do-gooders can feel better about themselves.

It's their kind that decided everyone has to be a college grad and that suggesting a trade alternative is some negative stigma that might hurt their feelings or devalue them somehow, which is absolute bullshit. Fact is, they'll probably end up making more than their educators if they were offered this route. And isn't that ultimately what matters in America anyway?

All right, off the box.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2014, 08:34:45 PM »
Public school. Where did I state this was not an option? I defended teachers.

Glad you defended teachers. In order for public schools to be able to effectively educate folks, they need to attract quality teaching staff. Public school should not only be an option for the disadvantaged but for people from the full spectrum of social, economic and ethic areas.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2014, 08:41:04 PM »
When their solutions are simply increased funding and idiotic programs like "common core," they should be called out on it. And how is offering a trade alternative "throwing them away?" This is based on the misguided PC liberal mentality that everyone has the ability to be a scholar, which is simply dishonest. Some are just not academically inclined, an unfortunate truth.

My suggestion actually empowers the "throw aways" by giving them something perhaps more interesting and indefinitely more productive to pursue. The unrealistic do-gooders would have them sit mindlessly in a classroom for a few extra fruitless years, watching the minutes tick away on the clock. Then unleash them on the world at 18, totally unequipped to fend for themselves. Just so the do-gooders can feel better about themselves.

It's their kind that decided everyone has to be a college grad and that suggesting a trade alternative is some negative stigma that might hurt their feelings or devalue them somehow, which is absolute bullshit. Fact is, they'll probably end up making more their educators if they were offered this route. And isn't that ultimately what matters in America anyway?

All right, off the box.

You digress. I am all for including trades in the school curriculum. Who decided everyone should be a college grad? Often it is unrealistic parents who push their children into this, while often discouraging them when they want to pursue other endeavors. I was awarded a scholarship to a prestigious art school in L.A. when I was in high school. My parents made me turn it down because "artists" never make any money. From what I have seen, this backward and strictly materialistic way of thinking is even more rampant today then it was when I was a kid.

Rosicrucian

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Brown paper bags + Bathroom stall + Tom Prince.
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2014, 09:13:03 PM »
You digress. I am all for including trades in the school curriculum. Who decided everyone should be a college grad? Often it is unrealistic parents who push their children into this, while often discouraging them when they want to pursue other endeavors. I was awarded a scholarship to a prestigious art school in L.A. when I was in high school. My parents made me turn it down because "artists" never make any money. From what I have seen, this backward and strictly materialistic way of thinking is even more rampant today then it was when I was a kid.

Good point PrimeCorpusSpongiosum...

Trades are ridiculously underrated and looked down upon. Our system has failed this way. I have several friends who are specialized mechanics,  plumbers, electricians make low 6 figs and enjoying their work. They are builders and damn good at it.

Going Carollaesque here but pisses me off when the douchey left cries about schools cutting down on music and theater programs. Hey I get it art is "good" for your mind, the kid who play violin has a 4.0 GPA so it must be the music (not to mention he practices 8 hours a day so it's more about ethics than muzics). But I digress.

Shop, motherfucking shop and building shit. Promote it, cherish it. I stopped to help a 17yo kid the other day who was literally in tears 'cause he couldn't change his flat tire (oh peace). Pulled the jack out of the hummer and helped the poor emo.

Nevertheless, all this is pointless, 5 years from now, a critical mass of middle to upper middle class are going to be home schooled and this is going to be a game changer.

A friend of mind has two sons. Home schooled. the 17yo is starting in Berkeley in August and the 19yo is a senior at UC Davis. Greatest, most polite and mentally mature and balanced kids I've ever seen. Did I mentioned they're in San Leandro one of the shittiest school district on the Bay Area?

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2014, 09:46:51 PM »

It's their kind that decided everyone has to be a college grad and that suggesting a trade alternative is some negative stigma that might hurt their feelings or devalue them somehow, which is absolute bullshit. Fact is, they'll probably end up making more their educators if they were offered this route. And isn't that ultimately what matters in America anyway?

All right, off the box.

Good post

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2014, 10:03:31 PM »

All right, off the box.

People talk about "The Prison Industrial Complex" like its so horrible.

Personally I think it's one of the best ideas going when a straight pipeline from the inner city classrooms to the State penitentiary can be configured.

I mean let's face it, in the same way some people are more suited for the trades, some people just aren't meant to be out there in the real world with civilized human beings. And I understand it's harsh to say but sometimes the truth is difficult.

Just toss them into the cage with their older brothers, cousins, uncles and dads.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2014, 10:08:11 PM »
Good point PrimeCorpusSpongiosum...

Trades are ridiculously underrated and looked down upon. Our system has failed this way. I have several friends who are specialized mechanics,  plumbers, electricians make low 6 figs and enjoying their work. They are builders and damn good at it.

Going Carollaesque here but pisses me off when the douchey left cries about schools cutting down on music and theater programs. Hey I get it art is "good" for your mind, the kid who play violin has a 4.0 GPA so it must be the music (not to mention he practices 8 hours a day so it's more about ethics than muzics). But I digress.

Shop, motherfucking shop and building shit. Promote it, cherish it. I stopped to help a 17yo kid the other day who was literally in tears 'cause he couldn't change his flat tire (oh peace). Pulled the jack out of the hummer and helped the poor emo.

Nevertheless, all this is pointless, 5 years from now, a critical mass of middle to upper middle class are going to be home schooled and this is going to be a game changer.

A friend of mind has two sons. Home schooled. the 17yo is starting in Berkeley in August and the 19yo is a senior at UC Davis. Greatest, most polite and mentally mature and balanced kids I've ever seen. Did I mentioned they're in San Leandro one of the shittiest school district on the Bay Area?

Fortunately, we live in one of two of Oregon's best achieving public school districts. One of the reasons for this is that we voted to fund West Linn School district with additional local dollars, while State government is shorting school districts all across the state. You cannot tell me that there isn't a direct relation between solid funding and high achieving school districts. The other high achieving district is our neighbors to the north in Lake Oswego. My grandson will be attending West Linn High School come fall.

Home schooled kids have the advantage of parents who are greatly involved in their education. Unfortunately, many parents of students in the traditional educational setting are indifferent to their children's school performance for the most part. If those parents put the same energy into their kids education as do the parents who home school, there wouldn't be a problem and we'd have both smarter and more socially adapted young people. Unfortunately, home schooling tends to isolate the student from his or her peers somewhat, which can hinder their social development unless they are particularly outgoing and involved with their friends. There are no perfect answers.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2014, 06:58:55 AM »
People talk about "The Prison Industrial Complex" like its so horrible.

Personally I think it's one of the best ideas going when a straight pipeline from the inner city classrooms to the State penitentiary can be configured.

I mean let's face it, in the same way some people are more suited for the trades, some people just aren't meant to be out there in the real world with civilized human beings. And I understand it's harsh to say but sometimes the truth is difficult.

Just toss them into the cage with their older brothers, cousins, uncles and dads.

It costs around $30, 000/year to house a prisoner....who do you think is footing that bill?