Author Topic: John Meadows - Mountain Dog Diet Man  (Read 38469 times)

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
Re: John Meadows
« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2014, 10:57:46 PM »
Well, objectively speaking, John Meadows is a pretty good bodybuilder.  He comes on stage with a lot of well-conditioned muscle.  So I think he must be doing something right, at least with the things he can control--his diet, training, and drugs.

From an aesthetics standpoint, sure he looks like shit.  Why? Well, he's got a very narrow frame and he had a a few major surgeries in his abdomen, which is why his abs are all fucked up.....those things are out of his control.  And I would personally attribute both of those factors to his genetics, which is why I brought it up. 

I don't really think John Meadows could ever look better on stage, no matter what approach he took.

Good analysis.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2014, 11:08:57 PM »
Well, objectively speaking, John Meadows is a pretty good bodybuilder.  He comes on stage with a lot of well-conditioned muscle.  So I think he must be doing something right, at least with the things he can control--his diet, training, and drugs.

From an aesthetics standpoint, sure he looks like shit.  Why? Well, he's got a very narrow frame and he had a a few major surgeries in his abdomen, which is why his abs are all fucked up.....those things are out of his control.  And I would personally attribute both of those factors to his genetics, which is why I brought it up. 

I don't really think John Meadows could ever look better on stage, no matter what approach he took.

I agree with this as well. I like Meadows. His approach to BBIng is unique, but well thought out, and I have picked a few aspects of his approach that I utilize all the time now.

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2014, 11:24:32 PM »
meadows has done the best what his genetics have let him and i would bet he has learned most by trial and error and not just bycreading science reports like it sounds on one guy here

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2014, 01:06:10 AM »
My take on Joe Marino, and he can correct me if I'm wrong, is that he was he never a "sciency"
guy it was all old-school bodybuilding wisdom. He is a bodybuilder through and through, he's no
science nerd, not a guy who ever read any kind of challenging books, training or otherwise. Now, he decided to become a recognized trainer so he needed to align himself with the top trainers in the industry. All these guys are big on science so he needs some of that angle as well. So he says V.M. Zatsiorsky's Science and Practice of Strength Training, A System of Multi-Year Training in Weightlifting by A.S. Medvedyev and Supertraining by Yuri Verkhoshansky are a great books (since guys like Louie Simmons etc say so)(LOL, look up these titles on the net, did Joe really read and digest these tomes?).:D But Joe really doesn't give a fuck about science, you can see it in any topic he discusses here, whether religion, climate change or whatever. So he's in a weird place. He will cherry pick scientific data when it suits him. I'd still like to hear how painkillers break down the CNS which he talked about earlier.

Oftentimes his convictions clash with the science and the opinion of guys he admires as trainers. Like with the insulin topic. Joe believes a modest shot of insulin will fuck up your "metabolic pathways"... he uses a scientific term but can't support the statement with science. Meadows is another guy who believes in ramping up insulin (though he claims he never uses insulin, but drinking a couple of hundred grams of carbs during training will jack up insulin into the stratosphere).

I think Meadows is bit on the pseudoscientific side of things with the grass-fed, organic stuff he preaches.

Personally I was always a big fan of Lyle McDonald, now here's a guy who can explain science to a non-academic such as myself. This guy has a very harsh style, he suffers no fools, completely uncompromising style. He is rarely wrong so he gets away with being being a complete asshole.  :D

monopoly19

• Getbig II
  • 675 locked out...
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2014, 07:41:49 AM »
Yeah, he does look like shit, you guys are right  ::)

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2014, 07:43:19 AM »

Each shoulder is twice the size of the corresponding pec. Odd.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2014, 08:02:17 AM »
HE  looks wicked there,grainy/size ,face shows it'death'

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2014, 08:11:02 AM »
This guy eats grass fed beef that's right beside a leaking nuclear power plant

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2014, 08:13:32 AM »
This guy eats grass fed beef that's right beside a leaking nuclear power plant
:D :D :D

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #109 on: April 21, 2014, 08:26:49 AM »
My take on Joe Marino, and he can correct me if I'm wrong, is that he was he never a "sciency"
guy it was all old-school bodybuilding wisdom. He is a bodybuilder through and through, he's no
science nerd, not a guy who ever read any kind of challenging books, training or otherwise. Now, he decided to become a recognized trainer so he needed to align himself with the top trainers in the industry. All these guys are big on science so he needs some of that angle as well. So he says V.M. Zatsiorsky's Science and Practice of Strength Training, A System of Multi-Year Training in Weightlifting by A.S. Medvedyev and Supertraining by Yuri Verkhoshansky are a great books (since guys like Louie Simmons etc say so)(LOL, look up these titles on the net, did Joe really read and digest these tomes?).:D But Joe really doesn't give a fuck about science, you can see it in any topic he discusses here, whether religion, climate change or whatever. So he's in a weird place. He will cherry pick scientific data when it suits him. I'd still like to hear how painkillers break down the CNS which he talked about earlier.

Oftentimes his convictions clash with the science and the opinion of guys he admires as trainers. Like with the insulin topic. Joe believes a modest shot of insulin will fuck up your "metabolic pathways"... he uses a scientific term but can't support the statement with science. Meadows is another guy who believes in ramping up insulin (though he claims he never uses insulin, but drinking a couple of hundred grams of carbs during training will jack up insulin into the stratosphere).

I think Meadows is bit on the pseudoscientific side of things with the grass-fed, organic stuff he preaches.

Personally I was always a big fan of Lyle McDonald, now here's a guy who can explain science to a non-academic such as myself. This guy has a very harsh style, he suffers no fools, completely uncompromising style. He is rarely wrong so he gets away with being being a complete asshole.  :D

Man, take a day off from posting (I had a couple of posts early yesterday) and here's VanBilderass taking personal shots. So lets clear this up a little. Fuck yes I'm old school and seeing the bullshit that has transpired over the almost 40 years I've been involved in bodybuilding industry, I'm proud of it. That being said, if I had NOT decided to get involved with training athletes years ago I wouldn't be as educated about the different types training as I am now. BUT, not just the training but the physiology. I've ALWAYS read and kept up with the times despite my old school mentality and again, it's when I got involved with athletes is when the real science of training kicked in.

Just because I listed three books doesn't mean those are the only one's I've read, but am I going to take a book recommendation from a person that has over 45 years real training and is well read? Fuck yes I am, you'd have to be half retarded not to! You fall into the category of the guy's that put science before practical application without having enough training years to decided what works and what doesn't...it's not always the science that fit's best. There is more "research" being done with bodybuilding training now BECAUSE of the research being done from strength and conditioning with athletes. Remember that!!

When I make a statement regarding training in a bodybuilding sense, it's coming from first being a former bodybuilder that has years of actual training experience bodybuilding, powerlifting and being a former athlete then the research. I read about 1/2 to 1 hour a day on various research and more on the weekends.

Van, you're more of a drug dependent guy who builds training around drugs instead of the other way around. Almost every post you've made there has been a drug aspect of it and training a distant second.      

Victor VonDoom

• Getbig IV
  • ...and Doom shall control the world!
« Reply #110 on: April 21, 2014, 08:27:20 AM »

x2

Not everyone is ideally suited for every sport.  Like most bodybuilders Meadows has a few decent poses, but he is not winning shows for a reason: he is basically a third or fourth tier bodybuilder.  Not hating... it's just a fact. He is probably an excellent coach/mentor.  Bah!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #111 on: April 21, 2014, 08:52:15 AM »
x2

Not everyone is ideally suited for every sport.  Like most bodybuilders Meadows has a few decent poses, but he is not winning shows for a reason: he is basically a third or fourth tier bodybuilder.  Not hating... it's just a fact. He is probably an excellent coach/mentor.  Bah!
freak factor there yes.

strong/into training yes..

gym build sick/stage is what it is..

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #112 on: April 21, 2014, 09:17:12 AM »

Believe it or not, a bodybuilder *may* look better under some lighting conditions than others :o

mayan

• Getbig II
« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2014, 09:26:47 AM »
I read about 1/2 to 1 hour a day on various research and more on the weekends.

Imagine if you swapped your getbig posting time and your time spent reading/researching!  1/2 to 1 hour a day posting and 6 hours reading and learning...you'd have even more knowledge to share.  ;D

Rascal full

• Getbig IV
« Reply #114 on: April 21, 2014, 09:28:05 AM »
I like JM. Intense in the gym and has good all round knowledge. I understand he was working with Antoine Vaillant for the 2013 NY pro where he placed poorly. This year AV is using someone else so not sure if anything can be read into that?

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #115 on: April 21, 2014, 10:02:57 AM »
Man, take a day off from posting (I had a couple of posts early yesterday) and here's VanBilderass taking personal shots. So lets clear this up a little. Fuck yes I'm old school and seeing the bullshit that has transpired over the almost 40 years I've been involved in bodybuilding industry, I'm proud of it. That being said, if I had NOT decided to get involved with training athletes years ago I wouldn't be as educated about the different types training as I am now. BUT, not just the training but the physiology. I've ALWAYS read and kept up with the times despite my old school mentality and again, it's when I got involved with athletes is when the real science of training kicked in.

Just because I listed three books doesn't mean those are the only one's I've read, but am I going to take a book recommendation from a person that has over 45 years real training and is well read? Fuck yes I am, you'd have to be half retarded not to! You fall into the category of the guy's that put science before practical application without having enough training years to decided what works and what doesn't...it's not always the science that fit's best. There is more "research" being done with bodybuilding training now BECAUSE of the research being done from strength and conditioning with athletes. Remember that!!

When I make a statement regarding training in a bodybuilding sense, it's coming from first being a former bodybuilder that has years of actual training experience bodybuilding, powerlifting and being a former athlete then the research. I read about 1/2 to 1 hour a day on various research and more on the weekends.

Van, you're more of a drug dependent guy who builds training around drugs instead of the other way around. Almost every post you've made there has been a drug aspect of it and training a distant second.      

I actually have a lot of training questions and injury related questions I'd like to discuss (I have serious problems with constantly getting injured and I don't know what the cause is) but I've been disappointed when I've asked them because no one either has any advice or doesn't care about answering serious questions. On the drug side I have some questions too but I don't bother even asking because I know no one here has any answers. There is a dearth of real experts in that field.

If you really read those books you listed and more then I'm really surprised. Because, fuck me, I like science but I don't have the patience for reading a science based 600 page book by some Russian written in very dry language. You just don't come across like that type of guy. If you discuss for example climate change you don't talk about the science, it's more about liberals and Obama being the devil etc. If it's about insulin you just categorically say it's bad without explaining why and so on.:D

I haven't trained as long as you but I've been in the gym for 22-23 years which makes me a bit more than a beginner. Last 7 years I've been doing plenty of drugs but it was cyclical and very low dose before that, and 6 or 7 years of natural before the first tablet. Not like you... you took your first shot of Deca at like 14 years old, didn't you? Not much of a natural base there. :D

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2014, 10:08:10 AM »
Imagine if you swapped your getbig posting time and your time spent reading/researching!  1/2 to 1 hour a day posting and 6 hours reading and learning...you'd have even more knowledge to share.  ;D

If I'm on here more than 15-20min throughout the day I'd be surprised. Admittedly, I'm on here sometime way more on the weekend.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #117 on: April 21, 2014, 10:23:47 AM »
I actually have a lot of training questions and injury related questions I'd like to discuss (I have serious problems with constantly getting injured and I don't know what the cause is) but I've been disappointed when I've asked them because no one either has any advice or doesn't care about answering serious questions. On the drug side I have some questions too but I don't bother even asking because I know no one here has any answers. There is a dearth of real experts in that field.

If you really read those books you listed and more then I'm really surprised. Because, fuck me, I like science but I don't have the patience for reading a science based 600 page book by some Russian written in very dry language. You just don't come across like that type of guy. If you discuss for example climate change you don't talk about the science, it's more about liberals and Obama being the devil etc. If it's about insulin you just categorically say it's bad without explaining why and so on.:D

Since I have the attention span of a gnat, it takes me a long time to get through a book and I still have to read it or hear it over and over. Admittedly, I'm more of a visual learner but I learn. Like I've said many times on here, I just don't read, I go to seminars, clinics, summits from people who I respect. Last weekend I went to the USC coaches clinic to meet the new staff, listen to the new S&C's philosophy of training and team training, watch a practice not to see the play but rather how his strength principals are being applied to the field. Since a D1 coach is probably the best educated when it comes strength and has also had experience at the pro level, I'm more than likely going to listen to that person rather than someone who does just research. We have Kinese interns we get in here than can talk a good game but when it comes to applying what they learned to actual programming, they don't their ass from a hole in the ground.

I haven't trained as long as you but I've been in the gym for 22-23 years which makes me a bit more than a beginner. Last 7 years I've been doing plenty of drugs but it was cyclical and very low dose before that, and 6 or 7 years of natural before the first tablet. Not like you... you took your first shot of Deca at like 14 years old, didn't you? Not much of a natural base there. :D

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2014, 02:26:03 PM »

can i ask you all a serious question?

meadows is apparently 'the guy' when it comes to 'knowledge' of training and diet.

then WHY does he look like shit.

think about this. could it be because what you learn thru studies and the 'texts' dont necessarily apply in real life?

lots of smart guys out there. all look like shit.

think about it.

are you saying you look better? lol

the majority of the guys "who look like shit" in your opinion are guys who have to work hard and figure out how and why things work (training, diet, drugs).. they're not easy responders.

the guys who 'don't look like shit', guys like flex, Ronnie, dillet, cormier... fuck, 97% of any guy on a pro stage has great response to drugs and training so how the fuck would he know how to make changes in other ppls "programs" if he doesn't even understand how HE grows or gets into condition? everything works for them, so why bother figuring out how or why cycling carbs or a keto diet works? or the ratio of test vs. a 19nor or proper E2 levels, or eating to maximize the results from gh, or whatever?

ppl do what is fun and interesting to them. how many of the knowledgeable people in the industry have physiques that could take home a pro card? (3? Farrah? Meadows? Palumbo? milos? maybe starnes, who else?) where's Pat Arnold, lyle McDonald, bill Roberts, cahill, john oreagan, duchaine, chris aceto, chad nicholls, ect.... pro cards? or 'freaky physiques'? these are all dudes that worry about themselves and their livelihoods and couldn't give a shit about yours.

you post thread after thread and post after post to toot your own horn and compare yourself to people on the internet who really couldn't care less about you or your 205lb everyday test/tren physique.

Simple Simon

« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2014, 02:28:18 PM »

the majority of the guys "who look like shit" in your opinion are guys who have to work hard and figure out how and why things work (training, diet, drugs).. they're not easy responders.

the guys who 'don't look like shit', guys like flex, Ronnie, dillet, cormier... fuck, 97% of any guy on a pro stage has great response to drugs and training so how the fuck would he know how to make changes in other ppls "programs" if he doesn't even understand how HE grows or gets into condition? everything works for them, so why bother figuring out how or why cycling carbs or a keto diet works? or the ratio of test vs. a 19nor or proper E2 levels, or eating to maximize the results from gh, or whatever?

ppl do what is fun and interesting to them. how many of the knowledgeable people in the industry have physiques that could take home a pro card? (3? Farrah? Meadows? Palumbo? milos? maybe starnes, who else?) where's Pat Arnold, lyle McDonald, bill Roberts, cahill, john oreagan, duchaine, chris aceto, chad nicholls, ect.... pro cards? or 'freaky physiques'? these are all dudes that worry about themselves and their livelihoods and couldn't give a shit about yours.

you post thread after thread and post after post to toot your own horn and compare yourself to people on the internet who really couldn't care less about you or your 205lb everyday test/tren physique.

ESFitness trying to justify his shitty physique in this thread.   ;D

By the way, you would be less than 205 if you got in shape properly.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2014, 02:32:34 PM »
ESFitness trying to justify his shitty physique in this thread.   ;D

By the way, you would be less than 205 if you got in shape properly.

thanks' for the uneducated guesstimate.

speaking of shitty physiques, how's yours coming? with that 182ng/dl test level?

Simple Simon

« Reply #121 on: April 21, 2014, 02:34:59 PM »
thanks' for the uneducated guesstimate.

speaking of shitty physiques, how's yours coming? with that 182ng/dl test level?
Why dont you get shredded and post a pic, you can use it to inspire clients.

Oh, Im doing fine thanks, still at 220lbs and around 10%

I dont know where you got that figure from, what does it mean?

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #122 on: April 21, 2014, 02:38:58 PM »

heres another 'comparison' for you dildo- I look better than you do. and you're on 6g of anabolics. lol in fact you couldn't carry my gym bag, skinnyfat.

look better than meadows? who the fuck would want to look like that? I'm sure he's a good guy but he looks horrible and unhealthy. hmmm wonder why.

haha toot my horn eh sparky? fuck that's priceless coming from the biggest bullshitter on this forum.

and i wasn't talking about the guys like ronnie and Cormier et al you fucking bozo I was talking about the guys in the 70's who built amazing physiques without all this great knowledge guys like you pretend to have.

I know this topic hits close to home- the charlatanism of nutrition and training- cause your 'livelihood' as a babysitter for lazy unmotivated people relies on making getting into shape as mysterious as possible. lol

heaven forbid people realise they can build amazing physiques not eating 5 times a day as you tell them, eating 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight as you tell them and the rest of your 'science' you endow them with.  

your a babysitter for lazy unmotivated people. don't paint yourself to be anything else.

clown.
b

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #123 on: April 21, 2014, 02:41:35 PM »
and for all you idiots crying meadows got dealt a shit hand for 'genetics' - genetics didnt create that- over feeding, over juicing, over gh'ing and using training loads your body can't handle created that.

shove your genetics up your ass.

lol the fall back of everyone w a poor physique. oh it's my 'genetics'. gimme a fucking break. 
b

Simple Simon

« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2014, 02:43:09 PM »
I know this topic hits close to home- the charlatanism of nutrition and training- cause your 'livelihood' as a babysitter for lazy unmotivated people relies on making getting into shape as mysterious as possible. lol

heaven forbid people realise they can build amazing physiques not eating 5 times a day as you tell them, eating 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight as you tell them and the rest of your 'science' you endow them with.  

your a babysitter for lazy unmotivated people. don't paint yourself to be anything more.

That wants fucking framing for posterity.

;D