Author Topic: How much do you bench?  (Read 56325 times)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: How much do you bench?
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2014, 12:09:06 PM »
I am still much stronger than you
Pick up your marbles and beat it fuckface,before you get hurt.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2014, 12:16:54 PM »
I am still much stronger than you
  oh so now your bragging good for you, i could care less who's stronger. now post up that pic and give the getbig world a look at ya. :'( :'( :'( :'( bet you don't. here's my current pic.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  ;D ;D ;Djust kidding.
F

A Righteous Sort

• Getbig III
  • Magnificent looks, superior memory
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2014, 12:31:18 PM »
 oh so now your bragging good for you, i could care less who's stronger. now post up that pic and give the getbig world a look at ya. :'( :'( :'( :'( bet you don't. here's my current pic.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  ;D ;D ;Djust kidding.

You have a decent beginners physique, however you need to shave before you even think of going onstage.

I am a powerbuilder myself, and I try to find a balance between strength and functional muscle.

Sorry we got off to a bad start my friend, I enjoy competitiveness and I assure you there was nothing viscious behind my jabs.

Your numbers are impressive

TEMPER

• Getbig III
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2014, 12:50:10 PM »
Most of the crew at my gym put up >4 plates, usually twice a week...Not a big deal.

I'm sorry "a righteous sort" what is this thread supposed to be proving? You bench 405 at 275? That is mediocre. I see 190lb men handling 4 plates for speed work multiple times per week...What is the point of you?

TheShape.

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2014, 12:52:20 PM »
i stopped conventional barbel bench pressing some time ago

pointless exercise

i do shoulder width bench press for triceps tho 8x115kg now
Is that why you have a bird chest?

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2014, 12:53:24 PM »
I did 135 for three sets of 8 the other day.

srs. Fuck ever benching over 225 or doing it as anything but an accessory exercise once every month

each rep was 8 seconds squeezed up.

DB's are so much better for your shoulders, even if you bench 'safely like a powerlifter' (lol)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2014, 01:04:45 PM »
You have a decent beginners physique, however you need to shave before you even think of going onstage.

I am a powerbuilder myself, and I try to find a balance between strength and functional muscle.

Sorry we got off to a bad start my friend, I enjoy competitiveness and I assure you there was nothing viscious behind my jabs.

Your numbers are impressive
i like to kid around too, here's real pic at about 200 lbs bdwt unfortunately health problem was only too real.
F

liquid_c

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2014, 01:05:20 PM »
bench press doesnt build chest

it build ego

Said no on with a good bench press ever.     ;)

A Righteous Sort

• Getbig III
  • Magnificent looks, superior memory
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2014, 01:07:20 PM »
Most of the crew at my gym put up >4 plates, usually twice a week...Not a big deal.

I'm sorry "a righteous sort" what is this thread supposed to be proving? You bench 405 at 275? That is mediocre. I see 190lb men handling 4 plates for speed work multiple times per week...What is the point of you?

Hahaha sure you do  ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2014, 01:08:25 PM »
I don't bench anymore. I think it's an inferior exercise. It makes the shoulder joint tight and inflexible due to it's inherent limiting range of motion.

The bench press really hasn't been around that long. I can imagine when lifting began. 1st it was let's power clean a weight and press it over head. Someone said, that's to much work. Another came up with seated press bench so you can exercise sitting down. Then some real lazy guy said is there any way we can lie in a bed and press? That's when the bench press was born.

When misguided person asks what can you lift they are always talking about the bench. I'm more impressed finding out a person's power and strength by how much they can lift over head from the ground. If a guy can power clean a weight and push jerk it over head it will tell you more about his athletic attributes than any bench press. I never met a guy who could put up a good power clean who wasn't fast with a great vertical leap.  

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2014, 01:20:22 PM »

:D

TEMPER

• Getbig III
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2014, 01:25:12 PM »
Hahaha sure you do  ;D

I train at Supertraining gym in Sacramento with Mark Bell...Most all of our guys have well over 400lb competition bench presses...No one gives a shit lol. How much do you squat? How much is your total?

Why would I lie about a 400lb bench press rofl...My boy Phil Brewer just benched 500 weighing 165 rofl...400 is a high school bench press.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2014, 01:26:29 PM »
;D would you believe 140 lb dbs for 5 sets of 12 at 235 lb bodyweight????????

My muscular endurance doesn't work anything like that. I would press 60kg (133lbs, heaviest dbs there are) for 12 controlled reps for 1 or 2 sets. After that I drop off a cliff to 8 or so reps then 5/6. I'd be lucky to maintain 12 reps second set, but I only rest about 60-90 seconds between sets.

Most I benched was 170kg on first cycle (age 20) when I took deca and was moving from powerlifting. Stopped powerlifting, stopped deca (high bp) and never tried to get near that again. Did 140kg for 9 reps a few months back but have chronic inflammation of tendon in shoulder now. No coincidence, no more heavy benching for me.

TEMPER

• Getbig III
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2014, 01:28:17 PM »
Hell Liquid_C here benches what 600 something...400 is seriously shit.

Again why is this clown bragging like he's something? lol 405 @ 275 holy fucking shit...

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2014, 01:31:45 PM »

Again why is this clown bragging like he's something? lol 405 @ 275 holy fucking shit...

Have naturals in my gym benching 175kg (single) at 75kg. Most look like T-rexes though, I have long arms (74" reach). I always lie when people ask what I bench in clubs/shops etc (I could say 250kg they would believe me so why not) or switch the subject to deadlift.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2014, 01:32:57 PM »
335 for sure and likely around 350 a few years ago.

Now I'm pretty sure I can incline more than bench. Just don't care for the exercise.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2014, 01:33:50 PM »

405 is a gateway weight....like the 600lbs pull...not sure what the squat would be maybe 500 as most feds consider the 1500 lbs total as the floor. 405 at 275.....I eat a pizza and my shitty bench goes up 15 lbs.
L

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2014, 01:34:41 PM »
Have naturals in my gym benching 175kg (single) at 75kg. Most look like T-rexes though, I have long arms (74" reach). I always lie when people ask what I bench in clubs/shops etc (I could say 250kg they would believe me so why not) or switch the subject to deadlift.

Yes the long-armed man is cursed at benching.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2014, 01:35:05 PM »
when people ask me in clubs etc

i say i only use machines and dumbels

???

Doesn't really matter as that's not what you're going for.
L

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2014, 01:39:55 PM »
Prolonged periods of heavy benching really are only necessary if you are a powerlifter. And even among powerlifters the bench is responsible for more injuries than the squat or dead. The problem I see with the bench is that unless you are very well built for it (barrel chest, T-rex arms) then over time it will put a lot of strain on the shoulder girdle and the very small stabiliser muscles around that joint.  

Having said that most people you see benching have atrocious form and are an injury waiting to happen (flared elbows, bouncing weight off chest). The best thing for long term shoulder health if you have to/want to bench is to leave your ego at the door and bring your grip in to shoulder width (about 18-20 inches apart). This grip is commonly called "close grip" but its actually not - a true close grip bench has the hands much closer together. The guys you see bouncing 265 off their chest with their arse up in the air would get stapled by 225 taking a shoulder width grip, bringing the bar to the chest, pausing briefly and pressing up.

But then again I have a shitty bench so I am biased against it. My push press is pretty much on par with my bench...   :(

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2014, 01:41:13 PM »
depends on what I eat the day of and day before.

today's supposed to be chest day and I dunno till I get into it whether my 3-4 working sets will be 315 for sets of 6-8 or 365 for 5-6.... hell, if I dont' get a big meal in while I'm doing laundry in a few mins, it may only be a 275 for 15 day. lol.

I'm a shitty bencher, btw. shoulders aren't great and nerve damage in chest from broken sternum killed any dreams of a 500lb bench many years ago.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2014, 01:43:57 PM »
...same way I get mad when u start bashing power lifters. Plenty of fat dudes...who may never want to look like you or train like you. There are plenty of dudes that do look like you and train like madmen for strength...who cares. You won't blow your shoulders off...liver may shrivel but again, whatever.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2014, 01:48:13 PM »
Prolonged periods of heavy benching really are only necessary if you are a powerlifter. And even among powerlifters the bench is responsible for more injuries than the squat or dead. The problem I see with the bench is that unless you are very well built for it (barrel chest, T-rex arms) then over time it will put a lot of strain on the shoulder girdle and the very small stabiliser muscles around that joint.  

Having said that most people you see benching have atrocious form and are an injury waiting to happen (flared elbows, bouncing weight off chest). The best thing for long term shoulder health if you have to/want to bench is to leave your ego at the door and bring your grip in to shoulder width (about 18-20 inches apart). This grip is commonly called "close grip" but its actually not - a true close grip bench has the hands much closer together. The guys you see bouncing 265 off their chest with their arse up in the air would get stapled by 225 taking a shoulder width grip, bringing the bar to the chest, pausing briefly and pressing up.

But then again I have a shitty bench so I am biased against it. My push press is pretty much on par with my bench...   :(

I managed a 365 bench 3 weeks ago at my last comp. The most I benched during the 9 week cycle was 315 for 3. I went up to a 335 with a slingshot a few times but that was it. I took out a lot of shoulder work due to injury...from benching. I do a lot of closegrip work and I use the shit out of the slingshot. Using it paused sorta defeats its purpose but it keeps my shoulders stable and I come down with a lot more authority. My raw bench looks a 1000lbs push with a 3 ply shirt on....1 inch per minute decent. I friggen hate the exercise. I hate it so much that at that meet I got dinged on my second attempt because I unracked...bro benched the shit and racked before a single command was given.
L

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2014, 01:55:47 PM »
yes but they get upset when i answer this

dumb fucks

You're expecting greater knowledge of kinesiology from 18 year old female Cuban clubgoers?
Y

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2014, 02:03:14 PM »

Yeah I've seen the slingshot alright, looks like it would do a lot for saving the shoulders long term especially during a heavy bench cycle.

BTW a 365 bench at the meet while never going above 315 in your training is a great example of training optimally. You don't need to max out in training constantly to get stronger. Every time I try to push my training hard and overestimate my training maxes I ALWAYS end up making less progress and going back to where I started.