Author Topic: How much do you bench?  (Read 56146 times)

liquid_c

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: How much do you bench?
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2014, 02:15:01 PM »
http://www.criticalbench.com/Scott-Mendelson.htm

Big chests do not make big bench presses.

I disagree, especially if you are a raw bencher.  An equipped bencher would be more worried about lats, rear delts, and especially triceps since in equipped benching the chest plays very little role and triceps and stabilizing muscles like lats, rear delts etc play a bigger role.  If you bench without a shirt, you are going to be using your chest a whole lot unless you use a narrow grip and even then you are going to be using your chest somewhat.  Scott knows this as he tore his pec pretty good trying to best his raw bench press record. 

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2014, 02:15:24 PM »
I bench 405 today
That is greater than 385 2 years ago

You are a more superior man than I. I bow to you sir.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2014, 02:52:01 PM »
Yeah I've seen the slingshot alright, looks like it would do a lot for saving the shoulders long term especially during a heavy bench cycle.

It doesn't really, I used it for a couple of years when I was a FatLifter and my shoulders always hurt more when I used it vs raw paused benching.

stupid gimmiky ego-toy imo .. I got up to 405x10 with mine and it had absolutely no carryover to raw bench or a shirted bench groove.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2014, 03:29:17 PM »
I saw a guy tonight unrack 170kg, lay it on his chest for a 3 count and then press it up. I wonder how many on here can do that

DanM

• Getbig III
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2014, 03:36:43 PM »
Best to date is 425lbs/193 kg at about 235lbs, just recently hit 405 for a solid triple, squats/deads are cool and a better test of strength overall but man there is nothing like a big bench press.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2014, 03:40:13 PM »
I haven`t done benches in years,but I have done a legit strict double bodyweight bench press years ago.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2014, 03:42:11 PM »
It doesn't really, I used it for a couple of years when I was a FatLifter and my shoulders always hurt more when I used it vs raw paused benching.

stupid gimmiky ego-toy imo .. I got up to 405x10 with mine and it had absolutely no carryover to raw bench or a shirted bench groove.

It all depends on how you use it. Its no more a gimmick then boards. I replaced boards with the slingshot. More as a safety device then as something for a future method or to increase my bench. I use it a lot for close grips because I have a torn labrum and my regular bench and closegrip aren't a lot different.
L

A Righteous Sort

• Getbig III
  • Magnificent looks, superior memory
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2014, 03:42:58 PM »
Hell Liquid_C here benches what 600 something...400 is seriously shit.

Again why is this clown bragging like he's something? lol 405 @ 275 holy fucking shit...

Hey man,
I already said 405 at a 275 pound body weight isn't all that impressive. You're acting like I was making a big deal out of it when I wasn't.

Also, very few people reach 315 much less 405 so using an gym where serious powerlifters train as an example of the norm is rediculous.

405 isn't anywhere close to te norm for anyone outside of powerlifting gym.

Meaningless

• Getbig III
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2014, 03:53:25 PM »
I saw a guy tonight unrack 170kg, lay it on his chest for a 3 count and then press it up. I wonder how many on here can do that

I benched 172.5kg in compeition 5 weeks ago.

Minor pec tear trying 175kg on 3rd attempt, just went back heavy benching yesterday and could still feel it, not sure how good it will heal up.

Would get 175+ outside of competition in a gym with typical bounce/no pause.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2014, 07:41:51 PM »
On incline today 295 X 6 there was definitely a 7 there but I had no spotter and was too pussy to try it alone

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2014, 08:00:09 PM »
I used to love the bench press. Still like it but after tearing chest i  can no longer hit the heavy weights. At my peak I was able to Hit 315x8-12 reps for 3 sets. My best single was 445 @225bw. I tore my chest prepping 315 quit a few years back by forcing up a rep in poor form. The muscle tore,sounded like a wet towel being ripped apart. Currently in the last few months I have been working back on the bench. Do not know what current max is but I put 260 for 10 up on my last set. I never used gear,always benched raw. Never saw the point in bench shirts, real,raw power is the only true test of one's strength. I would love to be able to Hit the heavy weights again. I get pretty nervous when I go up in weight, baby steps at this point.
h

TEMPER

• Getbig III
« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2014, 09:14:47 PM »
You are extremely weak and have no chance of achieving this. Save yourself a lot of wasted time and find a nice office job where you can push pencils instead of plates. Hope this helps.

Ok, we got a smart guy here. I'm guessing you're one of those getbiggers that doesn't actually lift and just does it 'for the lulz' OMG Amirite Nancy?

Now if you had any sense about you, and asked me politely what I lift - I would tell you 405 raw.

But you didn't because you're a little guy  :D

It's ok, I am sure I take shits bigger than you.
I even take them on your mom. She's filthy like that  ;)

Hey man,
I already said 405 at a 275 pound body weight isn't all that impressive. You're acting like I was making a big deal out of it when I wasn't.

Also, very few people reach 315 much less 405 so using an gym where serious powerlifters train as an example of the norm is rediculous.

405 isn't anywhere close to te norm for anyone outside of powerlifting gym.

Shut your mouth fagot lulz  ::)

LiftEaTsLeEpRePeAt

• Getbig IV
  • Fish
« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2014, 10:10:38 PM »
Since you're in the business of throwing out statistics,
What percentage bench 405?
your new... I like you
a

A Righteous Sort

• Getbig III
  • Magnificent looks, superior memory
« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2014, 10:25:23 PM »
your new... I like you

Thank you LiftEarsLeEpRePeAt,
I reviewed your work. You're quite the quality poster yourself.

LiftEaTsLeEpRePeAt

• Getbig IV
  • Fish
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2014, 10:37:48 PM »
Thank you LiftEarsLeEpRePeAt,
I reviewed your work. You're quite the quality poster yourself.
youre either a liar or brilliant.. either way.. I like you
a

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2014, 10:59:31 PM »
160kg x 8

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2014, 11:16:56 PM »
505 for a deuce.
X

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2014, 12:10:39 AM »
must be bouncing it off your big dick?

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2014, 08:04:44 AM »

I disagree, especially if you are a raw bencher.  An equipped bencher would be more worried about lats, rear delts, and especially triceps since in equipped benching the chest plays very little role and triceps and stabilizing muscles like lats, rear delts etc play a bigger role.  If you bench without a shirt, you are going to be using your chest a whole lot unless you use a narrow grip and even then you are going to be using your chest somewhat.  Scott knows this as he tore his pec pretty good trying to best his raw bench press record.  

I also disagree. Strongest man I ever knew was my Drill Instructor at USMC Boot. Looked liked he had two guys on a headlock his barrel chest was so big. Told us he doesn't lift weights because the Corps didn't issue them to him  ::)

Anyways at the end of boot he made good on a promise to do 100 pushups with a recruit sitting on his back. He didn't slow down till around 70 but still pushed out 100. I'm betting he could push 400lbs or more on bench

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2014, 08:15:37 AM »
140kgx6 no spotter last week.

But usually I stick to:

Set 1: 100kg
Set 2: 120kg
Set 3: 120kg
Set 4: 100kg

Chest is done after this, then move on to declines or cables. First exercise always incline.
S

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2014, 08:17:45 AM »
4 pages!? You guys are slipping. The correct answer is 'all of it.'    :-\

Alucard

• Getbig IV
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2014, 09:35:19 AM »
I'm seeing number 405lbs being used often here... Outside of powerlifting ground, benching 405 is a big deal and not so common, in my opinion... Unless there are a lot of big fatasses with short arms, using shitty form, and sometimes with a spotter doing half the work... Most i have seen is a guy in my gym benching 452lbs (205kg) for 4-6 reps, at around 190lbs with medium arms... Half reps mostly, still holding and moving such weight is impressive...

bigbadwolfe

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Bigger Stronger Fatter then you!!!!
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2014, 10:08:25 AM »
Blows my mind how many people on here have got hurt from bench pressing. Especially in the chest and the shoulders and really not with a lot of weight. 20 years in the sport and I have never had a shoulder injury or a pec injury. Hell I've never really had and major injuries from lifting at all until here the last few months. My elbow has finally decided enough is enough and is basically bone on bone so my heavy days are over.

But for who ever said a 315 was not a big bench you are freaking CRAZY!!! I would be willing to bet less then 10% of people that lift weights and go to the gym on a consistent basis can do a legit 315 bench press. I own and operate my own gym and other then my power lifters there are only a handful of guys who can bench 3 plates a side. 315 is a good solid bench, 405 is a great bench and 500 plus raw is GOD LIKE to most people!!!! Just saying!!!

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2014, 10:16:09 AM »
But for who ever said a 315 was not a big bench you are freaking CRAZY!!! I would be willing to bet less then 10% of people that lift weights and go to the gym on a consistent basis can do a legit 315 bench press. I own and operate my own gym and other then my power lifters there are only a handful of guys who can bench 3 plates a side. 315 is a good solid bench, 405 is a great bench and 500 plus raw is GOD LIKE to most people!!!! Just saying!!!

There are real lifts and then there are internet lifts. :D

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2014, 10:16:47 AM »
today.....265 for 3 deep, long climb post injury 315 for 3 by Dec 8th....