Author Topic: How much do you bench?  (Read 56147 times)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: How much do you bench?
« Reply #300 on: May 12, 2014, 09:46:47 AM »
As has been mentioned several times in this thread by several different posters, 315 is in general a very strong bench for an "unassisted" lifter using good form and no spot.

I wish I actually knew the right way to bench back then - bending the bar, leg drive etc....
Y

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #301 on: May 12, 2014, 09:50:59 AM »
I did it about 12 years ago at about 186lbs.   I think it would flatten me now.

Props for your honesty.

315 x 5 was my heaviest at around 180lbs.  Never in 30 years of training have I tried a single.

Heavy benching is definitely a young man's game. 

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • significantly cheaper and federally legal
« Reply #302 on: May 12, 2014, 09:52:07 AM »
I never attempted a 1RM at my strongest, which was a whopping 185 lbs.  I doubt I could have done 315.  Maybe 300, 305.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #303 on: May 12, 2014, 09:56:04 AM »
Props for your honesty.

315 x 5 was my heaviest at around 180lbs.  Never in 30 years of training have I tried a single.

Heavy benching is definitely a young man's game.  

I did the Sean Phillips "how to increase your bench 50lbs in 7 weeks"  It actually worked.  315 was the "goal" weight, but ended up getting 325 very smoothly, and got 335 half way.  Did a burn set of 225 for 18 after, and remembered it feeling like 100lbs.

But, constant heavy shoulder training, improper warmups and routines, etc....have taken their toll.  Had one shoulder surgery last year, and need the other done.   I'd like to try the routine again, but am concentrating on more active stuff.

315 * 5 at 180 is great, by the way.
Y

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #304 on: May 12, 2014, 12:19:12 PM »
I wish I actually knew the right way to bench back then - bending the bar, leg drive etc....

It made a big difference for me.

There was a sticky in the powerlifting section that took me from repping the the 270 range to repping in the 300 range just by improving my form.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #305 on: May 12, 2014, 12:59:47 PM »
Seriously, How many guys on GB can bench 315 clean ? Might be surprising how few can do it when compared to the amount of traffic on GB- I don't know myself- but it would show 315 is a decent bench anywhere

I weigh a reasonably solid (for a powerlifter) 275 pounds. I am 44. (And for those who shriek "Permabulker!", I have competed in three bodybuilding contests. Funny how a majority of those who would charge such a thing haven't ever come near a competition stage. ::))

I can do a tight set of eight or 10, each repetition paused, with 315. Three hundred and sixty-five for a solid and paused five or six.

No drugs or hormones. No spot.

Barring injury, my max should be somewhere in the 430-440 range by this Fall. 

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • significantly cheaper and federally legal
« Reply #306 on: May 12, 2014, 03:07:12 PM »
It made a big difference for me.

There was a sticky in the powerlifting section that took me from repping the the 270 range to repping in the 300 range just by improving my form.

My form is shit, I think this is a big reason why I've never been a good bencher.  Every now and then I'll do a rep in the middle of my reps that just flies up and be like "Hmm what did I do there why was that so easy?" but have never been able to figure it out.

Simple Simon

« Reply #307 on: May 12, 2014, 03:10:23 PM »
My form is shit, I think this is a big reason why I've never been a good bencher.  Every now and then I'll do a rep in the middle of my reps that just flies up and be like "Hmm what did I do there why was that so easy?" but have never been able to figure it out.

Its called a "spot"

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #308 on: May 12, 2014, 05:13:09 PM »
Its called a "spot"

;D

Gotta give you that one. Funny stuff.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #309 on: May 12, 2014, 07:02:26 PM »

I had pretty much been lifting instinctively for the longest time. The only "advice" I ever got was from the occasional older type guy in the gym. Getbig was and still is the only weightlifting site I have ever really followed and I didn't even start lurking here til 2007. I've probably bought 2 or 3 bodybuilding magazines my whole life.

So just basic stuff like driving through the balls of the feet, establishing a good base with your back, shoulders in tight and bar placement below the nipple were all concepts that I never even really considered but helped to make me progress and gave me more confidence in my lift.

Beefjake

• Getbig IV
  • Oh fuck it.
« Reply #310 on: May 12, 2014, 08:01:22 PM »
305lbs
245lbs x6 with a little bounce.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #311 on: May 13, 2014, 12:12:19 AM »
Didn't train at all. But in all fairness it was just a 1x bodyweight bench at the time. :-X

Okay, as they say in Dutch: "meten is weten" [lit.: measuring is knowing]. Today I tried benching for the second time this year, just to see if I can hit 315 at all.

After first training shoulders and tris to failure, I proceeded to bench the following in a grand total of 6 minutes:

10xbar,
5x135,
4x225,
1x265,
1x305 (very easy),
10x225 (stopped at 10 because I had forgotten to breathe all 10 reps. ;D).

Could probably have done 355 if I'd tried it fresh. Actually moderately pleased with that. Hitting the lateral raises and tricep extensions hard has been good for me.

[edit] Bodyweight unknown, afraid it's around 260 now. And not a solid 260. :-X

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #312 on: May 13, 2014, 12:27:31 PM »
Can someone please explain these techniques that can raise your bench straight away

Simple Simon

« Reply #313 on: May 13, 2014, 12:28:47 PM »
Can someone please explain these techniques that can raise your bench straight away
The 100mgs of D-bol a day technique.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #314 on: May 13, 2014, 12:30:33 PM »
Dbol bloats the fuck out of me and makes my nose bleed.

Simple Simon

« Reply #315 on: May 13, 2014, 12:31:50 PM »
Dbol bloats the fuck out of me and makes my nose bleed.
The essentials of a good bench press.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #316 on: May 13, 2014, 12:53:31 PM »
The essentials of a good bench press.

The synergetic effect of a good pre lift punch in the face by a training partner coupled with a mega dose of Dbol is largely unrivaled.

Simple Simon

« Reply #317 on: May 13, 2014, 12:57:46 PM »
The synergetic effect of a good pre lift punch in the face by a training partner coupled with a mega dose of Dbol is largely unrivaled.
Well, as Darren seems to be familiar with the Krays maybe have someone drop a car off a jack onto him, that should bring forth the beast.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #318 on: May 13, 2014, 01:14:12 PM »
Sure, but seriously not advisable at all, especially if you are not used to it.

100mg TNE, 100mg D-bol, 20mg Halo, 100mg of ephedrine, 600mg of caffiene

put 75lb on your bench instantly if you don't die, this is enough to give an elephant a heart attack but it works.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #319 on: May 13, 2014, 01:48:24 PM »
Well, as Darren seems to be familiar with the Krays maybe have someone drop a car off a jack onto him, that should bring forth the beast.

Na Krays were before my time. The Adams are the Daddys nowadays.

Simple Simon

« Reply #320 on: May 13, 2014, 01:52:57 PM »
Na Krays were before my time. The Adams are the Daddys nowadays.
Theres an Addams family joke there somewhere but im too tired.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #321 on: May 13, 2014, 07:29:58 PM »

maybe not the 'same day', you'll have to get used to the technique, but ditching the 'bodybuilding style' bench press is the first thing you'll want to do.

if you don't have access to legit powerlifters, at least spend some time watching some louie simmons vid's.... well, watching AND listening.

wide grip (shorter range of motion... think sumo-dead)

squeeze the shit out of the bar, no 'suicide grip'.

'break the bar'... imagine breaking a stick/tree branch/pencil... it causes external rotation and brings your elbows in
bring you elbows in to your body

arch the shit out your lower back

drive with your feet... I drive with the balls of my feet, since I have long legs I 'tuck them back' to get arch in my back so my heels aren't on the ground usually... pinching your glutes helps drive feet into the ground... the bench should be a full-body movement.. sorta. not just chest/tris/delts.

bring the bar to your lower chest or even upper stomach... your forearms should be 90degrees to the floor (perpendicular to your body or the bench), hwo far the bar goes down depends on your arm length.

... that's a start.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #322 on: May 13, 2014, 07:47:29 PM »
"Bodybuilding-style benching" is the fastest way to destroy your shoulders.

Ever since I learned how to press properly, my shoulders NEVER ache, in any way.

Basically, understand the importance of positioning your shoulders behind your chest. Pinch your shoulder blades together and keep a moderate arch (unless you desire to develop an extreme arch, as some do) in your back. And, as said, tuck your elbows.

Oh, and has also been said, have your lower pec line/upper stomach as the touch-point.

Bam ... more poundage moved and less shoulder stress.  

forillagorilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #323 on: May 13, 2014, 08:30:52 PM »
I hit 315 as a senior in high school. Best single was 455 but I only tried a single 2-3 times. I am certain I could have gone a decent bit higher but PL just wasn't ever my goal.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #324 on: May 14, 2014, 12:58:22 AM »
maybe not the 'same day', you'll have to get used to the technique, but ditching the 'bodybuilding style' bench press is the first thing you'll want to do.

if you don't have access to legit powerlifters, at least spend some time watching some louie simmons vid's.... well, watching AND listening.

wide grip (shorter range of motion... think sumo-dead)

squeeze the shit out of the bar, no 'suicide grip'.

'break the bar'... imagine breaking a stick/tree branch/pencil... it causes external rotation and brings your elbows in
bring you elbows in to your body

arch the shit out your lower back

drive with your feet... I drive with the balls of my feet, since I have long legs I 'tuck them back' to get arch in my back so my heels aren't on the ground usually... pinching your glutes helps drive feet into the ground... the bench should be a full-body movement.. sorta. not just chest/tris/delts.

bring the bar to your lower chest or even upper stomach... your forearms should be 90degrees to the floor (perpendicular to your body or the bench), hwo far the bar goes down depends on your arm length.

... that's a start.
this is moronic

ego lifting at its finest