Author Topic: Era of bodybuilding is over  (Read 4533 times)

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
Era of bodybuilding is over
« on: April 29, 2014, 06:04:37 AM »
Bodybuilders sparked fitness revolution that has shaped our sense of aesthetics and made "fitness" a marketing product. However, with "bodybuilding" becoming about everything BUT health and "well-being" it became totally unattractive to people aged 30+. Fact that F&H industry age target is 15-25 limited market growth - this is the age where people don't have much money to spend. For years many have tried to fill the void that F&H left by pushing useless "do it at home" products, fad diets and so on. Crossfit eventually combined everything that was important for this age group and created one, ultimate product designed for adults.

- Rich Froning and other Crossfit champions are "proud fathers", "christians", family and faith is most important to them (allegedly) as opposed to bodybuilding's bad boys.
 - Crossfiters are encouraged to bring whole families and work out together.
 - Older people aren't easily self-motivated, thus working out in groups.
 - Older people are lazy/have other important things to do and don't want to do research on their own, thus every class has its trainer.

This and many other factors made Crossfit bigger than whole BB&Fitness industry over the past few years. When you think about it, it was pretty ingenious.

Do you think that we stand a chance or are we doomed to extinction?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: Era of bodybuilding is over
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 06:18:32 AM »
Nobody ever cared about bodybuilding and nobody ever will.

It's a niche, that's it.
Y

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 06:20:26 AM »
At least Bodybuilding isn't fucking gay.

Um...

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 06:26:30 AM »
Most fitness programs, much like most diets have their moment in the sun, and then die off to just the hardcore. This will happen with Crossfit too.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 06:31:16 AM »
crossfitters use ped's/fatburners'stamina /energy supps.so in essence they are in the same boat as 'bber/bbing'

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 06:32:37 AM »
Does anyone actually give a fuck if bodybuilding is popular or not?

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 06:38:49 AM »
crossfitters use ped's/fatburners'stamina /energy supps.so in essence they are in the same boat as 'bber/bbing'

I don't think it's nearly as common though.

I'm buds With a bunch of crossfit homo's and they're good dudes, but they really "live the crossfit lifestyle" (oh brother)

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 06:40:25 AM »

I'm buds With a bunch of crossfit homo's and they're good dudes, but they really "live the crossfit lifestyle" (oh brother)

I have a friend that owns a gym with pure powerlifting on one side and a CF "box" on the other. The folks go back and forth. There is quite a lot of AAS in *that* CF gym...

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 06:41:50 AM »
I have a friend that owns a gym with pure powerlifting on one side and a CF "box" on the other. The folks go back and forth. There is quite a lot of AAS in *that* CF gym...

Damn.

My buds CF gym is clean as a whistle. Bunch of male secretaries and librarians doing power cleans with #65.

phil mcgroin

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 06:50:32 AM »
Bodybuilders sparked fitness revolution that has shaped our sense of aesthetics and made "fitness" a marketing product. However, with "bodybuilding" becoming about everything BUT health and "well-being" it became totally unattractive to people aged 30+. Fact that F&H industry age target is 15-25 limited market growth - this is the age where people don't have much money to spend. For years many have tried to fill the void that F&H left by pushing useless "do it at home" products, fad diets and so on. Crossfit eventually combined everything that was important for this age group and created one, ultimate product designed for adults.

- Rich Froning and other Crossfit champions are "proud fathers", "christians", family and faith is most important to them (allegedly) as opposed to bodybuilding's bad boys.
 - Crossfiters are encouraged to bring whole families and work out together.
 - Older people aren't easily self-motivated, thus working out in groups.

Exactly why I like BB, its none of those things.BB by nature are a special breed.I'm not talking about 99% of the guys you see in gyms that take juice to compensate.I'm talking about the .01% that live it and take it all the way

- Older people are lazy/have other important things to do and don't want to do research on their own, thus every class has its trainer.

This and many other factors made Crossfit bigger than whole BB&Fitness industry over the past few years. When you think about it, it was pretty ingenious.

Do you think that we stand a chance or are we doomed to extinction?

deceiver

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 06:55:04 AM »
Of course Crossfiters are juicing, I haven't mentioned steroids anywhere. What does it have to do with anything?

kofo

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 07:00:21 AM »
Theres no point to Bodybuilding other than BBing itself.

You will get more better looking, fit and healthy doing other stuff.

deceiver

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 07:03:48 AM »
Theres no point to Bodybuilding other than BBing itself.

You will get more better looking, fit and healthy doing other stuff.

There is no "activity" that would make you universally better looking and healthier. Running makes you better at running, bodybuilding at bodybuilding and crossfit at (surprise, surprise) crossfit. There are many ways to skin a cat, even "bodybuilding" and "crossfit" can be done in multiple ways.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 07:06:11 AM »

Yes having your life revolve around Crossfit seems common among this ilk.

I suppose the same could be said about bodybuilders.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 07:13:29 AM »
Yes having your life revolve around Crossfit seems common among this ilk.

I suppose the same could be said about bodybuilders.

Live by the thong, die by the thong.

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 07:39:00 AM »
At least Bodybuilding isn't fucking gay.

Um...
:D :D Gayish??

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 07:44:44 AM »
Live by the thong, die by the thong.

Would love to be your thong......

Anyway.....in before Princess Know-it-all makes an appearance.

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 07:44:55 AM »

Why is Bodybuilding a niche thing?

kofo

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 08:32:10 AM »
There is no "activity" that would make you universally better looking and healthier. Running makes you better at running, bodybuilding at bodybuilding and crossfit at (surprise, surprise) crossfit. There are many ways to skin a cat, even "bodybuilding" and "crossfit" can be done in multiple ways.

Most would think that a light heavyweight fighter, sprinter, rugby player etc looks better than Mr Olympia.

So BBing fails where it should be no 1, when a lot of other sports produces a better look, even without looks beeing a part of those sports at all.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 12:08:43 PM »
Bodybuilding requires more athletic ability than professional football, or baseball.

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 12:10:14 PM »
Bodybuilding as a mainstream interest ended around 2001 after perhaps 5 years of popularity. That's when the shows started being yanked off the sports networks one by one, until even the Olympia is now only available by webstream. Where you been?

It will never die. It's just gone back to being a niche sport. That's all.

Crossfit is mainstream. It's designed that way, so anyone can do it. Like P90X. It's just the latest fitness vogue. It'll pass.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 12:16:50 PM »
ppl complained for years about "well, he's big and cut.. but can he do [insert random pointless exercise to gauge athletic ability]"

now with crossfit, everybody gets on the bandwagon to hate it.

big fucking deal.

if it gets some average joe off the couch and in the gym doing SOMETHING besides siting on some Ab or Curl machine, great.

everybody complains how fat American's are... now we have something 'new' that catches the interest of ppl who'd probably NEVER workout before, and a bunch of fucking hypocrites are crying about it.

grow the fuck up. you don't like it? fine. don't do it. fucking little girls crying about shit...

deceiver

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 01:37:16 PM »
ppl complained for years about "well, he's big and cut.. but can he do [insert random pointless exercise to gauge athletic ability]"

now with crossfit, everybody gets on the bandwagon to hate it.

big fucking deal.

if it gets some average joe off the couch and in the gym doing SOMETHING besides siting on some Ab or Curl machine, great.

everybody complains how fat American's are... now we have something 'new' that catches the interest of ppl who'd probably NEVER workout before, and a bunch of fucking hypocrites are crying about it.

grow the fuck up. you don't like it? fine. don't do it. fucking little girls crying about shit...

People complained... and rightfuly so. Do you remember how bodybuilding started? Back in the days everyone was bodybuilder, weightlifter and powerlifter at the same time. We "moved on" but apparently it isn't what people wanted so we moved back. Do not mistake me for a Crossfiter. I am just happy things are moving into right direction. Every time I hear "I do not care about the weight I use, I only care about how it looks" I just roll my eyes in disbelief. How pointless and vain it is, staring in the mirror pumping your arms and chest to make it just appear bigger.

SmallPole

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 10:58:25 PM »
i feel gay eating grapefruits

and i eat quite a number of those juicy bastards

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2014, 02:04:47 AM »
Modern bodybuilding sucks.