Author Topic: What's a good trade to learn considering political, social and economic trends?  (Read 8955 times)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Interesting, this seem to coincide with my experience. Any link or hard numbers on that notion?
I have no hard numbers. I don't think that there has been a study on it. It's kinda like "who runs red lights the most?"
One, you have to find out who is electrician, HVAC, construction worker, plumber, roofer. Or if they are "handymen". Then delve into if they been arrested, or convicted for drugs or drug related crimes. Then also their "legal status", and family background.

MP

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy metal. The only way.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
That is true. But, look at all the people in college waitressing, serving, or working at McDonald's.
Look at the high school student working at McDonald's. These jobs are often entry level, and those positions are usually filled with young people just starting out. Some of them maybe onto degrees where they are writing code, or other things.

Yes, I remember that you moved to NZ, hope all is well.
Now, onto trades. I believe that college is not for everyone. I also believe that one can learn (and possibly should) a trade even with a post graduate degree. You may never know when those skills may come in handy.
Nowadays, you have attorneys that can argue cases in court like a beast, but can't hang a picture on the wall. Nor change the oil in their own car...let alone where to put the oil.
what s the point when you have so much money you only need to pay someone to do it.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
Please transmit precise spatiotemporal coordinates for incoming fisticuffs.

Actually, I see two glimmers of hope for Sir Wiggins:

i) the US federal government may converge toward a Euro-style social democratic model* whereby a more robust welfare state is very active in helping persons like him subsist. This process will probably take a few decades (if it happens at all), and thus won't be of use for Sir Wiggins until retirement age.

ii) Sir Wiggins' bitcoin holdings may dramatically increase in value as bitcoin adoption increases to the point where the digital cryptocurrency becomes a mainstream means of money transmission and/or store of value.

Extrapolating from current (incomplete) data leads one to believe he will ignore all of the suggestions and lead a transient existence wherein he goes from job to job, subsequently relying on a small amount of savings and the welfare state to subsist in retirement age.

*ala this article
/end of thread.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
what s the point when you have so much money you only need to pay someone to do it.
The point I was trying to make is that there are many people who just lack basic skills around the house. Too specialized? Or they just never learned, nor put in the effort.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
The point I was trying to make is that there are many people who just lack basic skills around the house. Too specialized? Or they just never learned, nor put in the effort.
most of the time you re forced to learn cause you dont have the money, as simple as that.

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
its hard to do any thing if you don't like it
its not unique to software 

Not unique but certainly not comparable to a normal job.

Takes very special people to work as developers.. I mean have you worked with programmers?

Just like not all people are salesmen.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
I think a career in coding might open some future "Gates"... both digital and divine...

/*
 God - well, today I was kinda bored... reading some stuff from Kernighan/Ritchie fellas.... clever folks created by me, of course.
*/
typedef        hebrew_t        wiggs_t;

wiggs_t*     Wiggs;

Wiggs = (hebrew_t*) America->EmitCitizen( sun_resistant, male, hungry, future_abductee );

/* God - sigh... I feel kinda naughty now */
Wiggs->Father( Theodor_Herzl );
Wiggs->Likes( Strippers, Jesus, Fiction );
Wiggs->InnerTorment( Pussy, Bible );
Wiggs->Struggle( Eternal );                        /* God - oops */
Wiggs->SystemLoad( Idle );

/* God - gee, I'm tired, time to sit back and surf getbig... may continue later */

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
I have no hard numbers. I don't think that there has been a study on it. It's kinda like "who runs red lights the most?"
One, you have to find out who is electrician, HVAC, construction worker, plumber, roofer. Or if they are "handymen". Then delve into if they been arrested, or convicted for drugs or drug related crimes. Then also their "legal status", and family background.

http://www.samhsa.gov/data/2k7/industry/worker.htm

"The National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH) asks persons aged 12 or older to report on their use of alcohol and illicit drugs during the past month. NSDUH defines illicit drugs as marijuana/hashish, cocaine (including crack), inhalants, hallucinogens, heroin, or prescription-type drugs used nonmedically.6 Heavy alcohol use is defined as drinking five or more drinks on the same occasion (i.e., at the same time or within a couple of hours of each other) on 5 or more days in the past 30 days. NSDUH also asks respondents about their current employment situation and the type of business or industry in which they worked. NSDUH defines full-time employed respondents as those who usually work 35 or more hours per week and who worked in the past week or had a job despite not working in the past week.

This issue of The NSDUH Report uses data from the combined 2002 to 2004 surveys to present estimates of current (i.e., past month) heavy alcohol use and illicit drug use among full-time workers aged 18 to 64 by industry category. The data are abstracted from a more extensive report available online at http://www.oas.samhsa.gov/analytic.htm.3"

Figure 1. Past Month Illicit Drug Use among Full-Time Workers Aged 18 to 64, by Industry Categories: 2002-2004 Combined

Figure 2. Past Month Heavy Alcohol Use among Full-Time Workers Aged 18 to 64, by Industry Categories: 2002-2004 Combined

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot

Substance use in the workplace negatively affects U.S. industry through lost productivity, workplace accidents and injuries, employee absenteeism, low morale, and increased illness. The loss to U.S. companies due to employees' alcohol and drug use and related problems is estimated at billions of dollars a year.1,2 Research shows that the rate of substance use varies by occupation and industry.3 Studies also have indicated that employers vary in their treatment of substance use issues and that workplace-based employee assistance programs (EAPs) can be a valuable resource for obtaining help for substance-using workers.4,5

The National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH) asks persons aged 12 or older to report on their use of alcohol and illicit drugs during the past month. NSDUH defines illicit drugs as marijuana/hashish, cocaine (including crack), inhalants, hallucinogens, heroin, or prescription-type drugs used nonmedically.6 Heavy alcohol use is defined as drinking five or more drinks on the same occasion (i.e., at the same time or within a couple of hours of each other) on 5 or more days in the past 30 days. NSDUH also asks respondents about their current employment situation and the type of business or industry in which they worked. NSDUH defines full-time employed respondents as those who usually work 35 or more hours per week and who worked in the past week or had a job despite not working in the past week.

This issue of The NSDUH Report uses data from the combined 2002 to 2004 surveys to present estimates of current (i.e., past month) heavy alcohol use and illicit drug use among full-time workers aged 18 to 64 by industry category. The data are abstracted from a more extensive report available online at http://www.oas.samhsa.gov/analytic.htm.3

Hollywood would never survive without substances.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails

Substance use in the workplace negatively affects U.S. industry through lost productivity, workplace accidents and injuries, employee absenteeism, low morale, and increased illness. The loss to U.S. companies due to employees' alcohol and drug use and related problems is estimated at billions of dollars a year.1,2 Research shows that the rate of substance use varies by occupation and industry.3 Studies also have indicated that employers vary in their treatment of substance use issues and that workplace-based employee assistance programs (EAPs) can be a valuable resource for obtaining help for substance-using workers.4,5

The National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH) asks persons aged 12 or older to report on their use of alcohol and illicit drugs during the past month. NSDUH defines illicit drugs as marijuana/hashish, cocaine (including crack), inhalants, hallucinogens, heroin, or prescription-type drugs used nonmedically.6 Heavy alcohol use is defined as drinking five or more drinks on the same occasion (i.e., at the same time or within a couple of hours of each other) on 5 or more days in the past 30 days. NSDUH also asks respondents about their current employment situation and the type of business or industry in which they worked. NSDUH defines full-time employed respondents as those who usually work 35 or more hours per week and who worked in the past week or had a job despite not working in the past week.

This issue of The NSDUH Report uses data from the combined 2002 to 2004 surveys to present estimates of current (i.e., past month) heavy alcohol use and illicit drug use among full-time workers aged 18 to 64 by industry category. The data are abstracted from a more extensive report available online at http://www.oas.samhsa.gov/analytic.htm.3

Professional Bodybuilding would never survive without substances.