Author Topic: Most underated upper body massbuilder  (Read 10860 times)

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
Most underated upper body massbuilder
« on: January 23, 2006, 09:11:08 AM »
Hand Stand Pushups  by FAR

you don't need anything except a wall.  These are the pushing analog of pull-ups, IMO everyone with the requisite strength to bodyweight ratio should be doing these.  If you ever wondered why dudes in jail are so buff, it is because they are doing handstand push-ups all day in their cells.

Tuck planche push-ups, and tuck lever pullups are also great mass-builders and highly under-rated

All of these exercises will build mass across the shoulder girdle and strenghten the core.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Most underated upper body massbuilder
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 09:14:55 AM »
Well as an add on from what you put.
Id say dips, erferred to by many as the upper body squat.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 09:27:01 AM »
Pullovers.

Dips are widely known; if anything they're hyped too much.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 10:24:37 AM »
i'd agree pullovers

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 10:28:29 AM »
I don't see a lot of people doing dips for chest, especially not with added weight. So I'd say that's underrated for sure.
Z

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 10:49:58 AM »
Dips are very widely discussed on this forum, so they're not under-rated.

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 11:30:43 AM »
If you want to change dips up, lift your hips such that your body is horizontal (parallel to the ground).  You can still bend your legs, just make sure that your hips stay level with your shoulders during the rep.  This is basically a tuck planche push-up.  It is a lot harder than normal dips and it hits the upper chest a lot better.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 11:32:18 AM »
i used to do dips alot on chest day....i have really no idea why i stopped.
bodybuildersreality.com

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 11:33:55 AM »
If you want to change dips up, lift your hips such that your body is horizontal (parallel to the ground).

I think what you're saying is to have the upper body parallel to the ground. That should work well.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 01:51:44 PM »
what do you think is going to put on more size a 315lb. press behind neck or some hanstand pushups?
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 01:55:23 PM »
what do you think is going to put on more size a 315lb. press behind neck or some hanstand pushups?

what if you weigh 320 lbs?
:-)

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 02:52:35 PM »
 The pullover & press is a very underrated exercise but a superior upper body mass builder. Probably better done with DB's rather than a BB because of the less stress on the wrist, which in turn can cause undue tension/stress on the elbows. Might even try them with a tricep bar (I never have, but just to see how that would workout) for that more natural (like DB's) grip.  Dips(weighted) follow a close second and in my view a more productive exercise than the regular Bench Press. Dips may be discussed here but I would doubt very much in the rest of the BB'ing world as a solo foundation movement for the chest, delts & triceps. The Clean & press and HI-pulls. A very unnoticed movement is the jerk/push press off a rack, a mass builder and rather quickly.  Standing one arm DB side presses are great for the shoulder girdle. For the biceps, reverse BB curls with the elbows held against the side throughout the exercise.  Good Luck.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 02:57:10 PM »
Dips are very widely discussed on this forum, so they're not under-rated.

but only because i keep bringing them up
Z

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 03:38:11 PM »
I hope you're kidding. Every BB forum talks about dips incessantly as one of the fundamentals.

Dips may be discussed here but I would doubt very much in the rest of the BB'ing world as a solo foundation movement for the chest, delts & triceps.
Talk about a qualifier. The question's posed here on a site that broaches their application continually, as does every BB site. Actually, I think they're widely used in gyms.

Pullover & press is a great exercise.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2006, 04:31:03 PM »
Agreed, but the question wasn't about what is the main exercise used-dips are widely used as a secondary chest/tri exercise.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2006, 05:01:54 PM »
you guys forgot that if you dip you have to be able to lift your bodyweight.  most ppl cant even do a pull up. and thats using more muscles then dips.  lead a lone put most of their bodyweight on the chest/tris..so many ppl jump on the machine dips instead.. so if you count the machine dips then its not really underated at all...

most ppl cant do a hand stand push either unless you have been train to do so. 

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2006, 05:05:10 PM »
dips dont work my chest as much as benching do.  that is how i feel about it, although it is a mainstay of triceps work
Valhalla awaits.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2006, 05:06:05 PM »
i've worked out at many gyms over the years, and there's no line of people about to do dips monday i can say that much, especially not as a "upper body massbuilder" exercise. so yeah i'd say it's underrated.
but if you disagree we could just for sport continue this discussion for some more pages.
or maybe talk about handstands using just one hand or something
 :P
Z

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2006, 05:40:12 PM »
What you're probably not getting is that peeps know all about dips, but don't want to do them. Nothing to do with under-rated-like chins, they're harder to do.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2006, 05:42:18 PM »
never seen ronnie coleman do dips though.
Z

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2006, 05:43:05 PM »

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2006, 05:57:22 PM »
Come to think of it, Markus Ruhl doesn't do it either, nor Craig Titus, nor Jay Cutler, nor Kevin Levrone, nor Lee Haney, nor Dorian Yates, nor Nasser el Sonbaty, nor Dennis James etc.

Both Lee Priest and Shawn Ray does it though. As a pump exercise, 5th outta 5 exercises for chest.

Hell, maybe it isn't underrated, maybe it's OVERrated, since pretty much no professional bodybuilder does it, there must be a reason for it.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2006, 06:00:53 PM »
What's your opinion on the one arm press, talk about underrated upper body massbuilder  :P

Z

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2006, 06:27:44 PM »
I believe (it looks like Paul Andersen in the pic)  that the gentleman is doing a Bent press rather than a one arm press. As mentioned above, the DB side press is a great mass builder but it is not to be confused with a regular one arm DB press or even a Bent Press. A Bud of mine does 210-235 (or so) DB side presses for 7-9 reps in his workouts. He does walk sideways through a normal size door and has a hard time fitting into the drivers seat of his car. He's short, about 5'7, and probably goes 250-260. Most heavy overhead lifts add impressive delt development. Good Luck.

HumanHorrorFilm

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2006, 12:44:13 PM »
I have honestly fell in love with power Cleans.  My shoulders have filled out in the front a little bit more, i can see differences in my traps now and my forearms are losing fat off of them and becoming extremely vascular and much stronger.  Now if i could only find my magic for the rest of my arms