Author Topic: Free style  (Read 1863 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Free style
« on: May 07, 2014, 06:51:51 AM »
How many of you guys truly train instinctively? Choosing a weight according to how you feel that day? Choosing exercises as you go? Personally I'm very rigid. I train according my training journal and cycle. I always try to beat the last work out by a rep, increase in weight or to shorten the time it takes to complete the workout. I record every rep. Time every workout. Record all weight to beat.

I see many good bodybuilders like  pros Lee Priest  and just good gym rats that just seem to wing it. No journal and no plan except what body part to train. They select weight on the go and adjust up or down according to how they feel that day.

Dorian Yates said if he trained by instinct he would take a nap instead of working out. He was a journal trainer. Frank Zane was a journal trainer but he used it to record the workout and not to follow a script I believe.

I sometimes think the method you use is determined by your mental make up. Are you somewhat artistic or an analytic thinker. Sometimes I believe the most scientific method is free style which seems like a contradiction. You are training according to how you can perform that day.  If you have a good work ethic you will push yourself instead of coasting.

Dicki_Nurmom

• Getbig II
  • FILT RULES!
Re: Free style
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 05:03:56 AM »
i plan my workouts pretty rigidly... i might alter a few movements here and there but overall i stick with the plan
•

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 06:16:30 AM »
At the Moment i stick to my Basic exercises and plan but i think itīs OK to just Change things on a given Training Day.. as Long as the muscles are hit why not? I think this is advanced if you know your Body. variety is the spice of life.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 06:58:36 PM »
I guess I'm set in my ways. I wrote down my workout today prior to hitting the gym with my goal weights for the day. I guess I can't change. Maybe when I hit 60's I will go free style. Trained chest and arms today. Tomorrow is legs.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 09:49:10 PM »
I stick with the basic compound moves, but after that it's up in the air. Usually very similar from week to week though.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 10:08:25 AM »
"Whatever" or "Play It By Ear" workouts have given me some of my better workouts.  I do use a log book and have a general plan of what I'm going to do in the gym that day. But being flexible can be a reward, in working out, at times. 

Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 06:27:25 AM »
I stick with the basic compound moves, but after that it's up in the air. Usually very similar from week to week though.
yes the best way. solid Basic lifts with some "icing on the Cake"..

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 12:46:20 PM »
When I'm on vacation I free style it. I walk into a completely unfamiliar gym knowing what body part I want to hit. If a machine looks interesting I go for it. I use exercises I never normally do. I had a really intense week on vacation concerning workouts. Lifted hard then hit the beach for a 3 mile run in the heat. Drank my booze at night. 

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 01:02:27 PM »
I "freestyle" it - well sort of

On chest day I do 2 heavy presses(incline/decline/flat db/bb) and 2 fly movements (machine/db)
Shoulders I hit each head after I do a heavy press(standing/seated db/bb)
Back deadlift, 2 types of row(bb/db/hammer), a pull down and a pullover
Legs squats, leg press, extension, 2 hamstring movements and 2 calf exercises
Arms are completely random generally 3-4 exercises of each