Author Topic: Runners - why do you have to tell the world about your events?  (Read 19953 times)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Re: Runners
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2014, 01:34:42 PM »
Doesn't just look boring, it is boring. Why not look at trail running, or hell even doing laps of a grass track.

I'd love to run trails, but, I live in the concrete jungle known as Manhattan. I try to get to the Reservoir in Central Park which is a dirt surface but that's somewhat of a road trip from my apt.

cannon_fodder

• Getbig III
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2014, 01:36:06 PM »
I'd love to run trails, but, I live in the concrete jungle known as Manhattan. I try to get to the Reservoir in Central Park which is a dirt surface but that's somewhat of a road trip from my apt.

Any clubs with indoor tracks?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2014, 01:40:05 PM »
Anyone run on a treadmill?

Looks boring as shite, but I'm to the point where concrete isn't agreeing with the joints and feet, especially in the cold.

How does it compare to outdoor running?

It's generally accepted that to work at the same level as road running you have to run at a 1% incline. So an 8 minute mile on a track equals a 8 minute mile on a 1% incline grade on a treadmill. The difference isn't enough to concern yourself on a treadmill. I usually run all my miles on a treadmill at the first quarter mile (one lap around the track) on level incline. The second on 1%. The third on 2% incline and the last lap back to zero incline. That's just me though.

Cheap treadmills are terrible. The speed is in accurate. They are also too bouncy to make beginner exercisers think they are running on a soft surface but I found that bounce causes injuries.  Quality treadmills have some give with out the bounce. Good treadmills manufactures are True, Landice, and a few others. Many of the cheaper home treadmills actually come out of the same factory in China. If you look at them side by side it's unmistakable that two different brands are the same except for some cosmetics.

Some elite runners that live in serious cold climate areas train for months on a treadmill until the weather breaks. Some treadmills can really go quickly and you can do intervals on them like 10 x 400 yards or 6 x 880 yards.  

What I found with treadmills is that some just have to many bull shit features. If you are serious about getting into shape do you really need their pre programmed runs? All I want is an excellent surface to run on. That is firm but with a little give. I want  an electronic quarter mile track that shows you going around it as you run. I want a simple switch so I can see the speed as pace. I don't care what 8 MPH is. No runner goes to a park and says to another runner let's keep it at 8 MPH. I want to run to pace. So I can say I'm doing a 7 minute mile pace. Most treadmills give you that option. I want the controls to be simple.

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2014, 02:12:47 PM »

Treadmills suck. They basically eliminate that "push off" movement in running. Running on the street is better than running on sidewalk...but I don't know if that's possible for you in Manhattan.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2014, 02:24:19 PM »
Anyone run on a treadmill?

Looks boring as shite, but I'm to the point where concrete isn't agreeing with the joints and feet, especially in the cold.

How does it compare to outdoor running?

I've always felt like it's easier than running outdoors, probably because it's ideal conditions (no wind, perfect temperature, no unexpected terrain/traffic/pedestrians/bodybuilders to watch out for, can tell exactly how far you've gone / how fast you're going / how much left, easy access to water, etc.).

I can't think of any reason it would be easier on your joints than running outdoors.  People talk about running on concrete like it grinds up all your cartilage but I don't think there's any strong or consistent evidence in support of that.  Likely comes from people who train stupidly and get hurt and want to blame the problem on something other than themselves.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2014, 03:53:21 PM »
Treadmills suck. They basically eliminate that "push off" movement in running. Running on the street is better than running on sidewalk...but I don't know if that's possible for you in Manhattan.

It's possible but it sucks. When you run, you want to think about running and not about getting clipped by a car. This is my running route. It's nice and rarely crowded but the surface you see is Cobblestone which I recently found out is even harder than concrete. Doh!

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2014, 04:37:19 PM »
It's possible but it sucks. When you run, you want to think about running and not about getting clipped by a car. This is my running route. It's nice and rarely crowded but the surface you see is Cobblestone which I recently found out is even harder than concrete. Doh!

:(
The path I run is paved but the side of the path is either dirt or gravel. They should think of us runners and about giving us soft surfaces. My path is also only a block away...serenity <3

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2014, 04:38:01 PM »
Running sucks.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2014, 04:43:42 PM »
Running sucks.

Since I fucked up my ankle 13 years ago (some fat girl fell on it in rugby broke ankle, tore achillies, ligaments and calf muscles...) I get horrible pain and clicking ankle if I run any distance. Used to run everywhere, would cycle if too far. I blame bbing as much as the accident.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2014, 06:59:43 PM »
I would be interested in how you guys combine lifting and running. If I'm lifting heavy my running suffers. If running is going great the lifting goes south.

Today I trained back and delts which included heavy deadlifts. Afterwards I went for a short two mile run. I know on days when I kick it up to a hard 5 miler there is no way I'm lifting heavy weights the day after.

One guy who was ripped up at a local charity 5k race said it all depends on your priorities. He said he wanted to be a good runner with a ripped light physique. He said it's moderate to light weights and train with volume. He said the power stuff I do is just too much if your logging the miles.

Notsonicemom

• Getbig II
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2014, 07:09:33 PM »
Hamster wheels suck. If you like to run but weather is crappy just do a small incline never bothers my joints and few years ago while prepping for my second full marathon which was in February most of my training was on the dread mill

Also if joints are an issue I'd go to a specialty runners store get fitted for shoes and inserts may want to consider compression sleeves for calves and shins

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2014, 07:10:04 PM »
I would be interested in how you guys combine lifting and running. If I'm lifting heavy my running suffers. If running is going great the lifting goes south.

Today I trained back and delts which included heavy deadlifts. Afterwards I went for a short two mile run. I know on days when I kick it up to a hard 5 miler there is no way I'm lifting heavy weights the day after.

One guy who was ripped up at a local charity 5k race said it all depends on your priorities. He said he wanted to be a good runner with a ripped light physique. He said it's moderate to light weights and train with volume. He said the power stuff I do is just to much if your logging the miles.
do you lift everyday?

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2014, 07:10:41 PM »

One guy who was ripped up at a local charity 5k race said it all depends on your priorities. He said he wanted to be a good runner with a ripped light physique. He said it's moderate to light weights and train with volume. He said the power stuff I do is just to much if your logging the miles.

I'm with you. I regularly hit up the park on the way home to knock out a mile or 2 after lifting weights but no way in hell would I want to put in 5 or more....especially now with the heat about to ramp.

Maybe for some the solution would be to lift heavy in the winter and get more into running during summertime?

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2014, 07:12:17 PM »

Combining lifting and running in the same workout is going to make one or the other suffer A LOT (depending on which you do first). I've found that neither activity suffers when I'm "fresh." I have better stamina and speed since i've been lifting more frequently. My running doesn't seem to impact my lifting strength, unless I do 8+ miles and it's a day or two after the run.

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2014, 07:12:34 PM »
I'm with you. I regularly hit up the park on the way home to knock out a mile or 2 after lifting weights but no way in hell would I want to put in 5 or more....especially now with the heat about to ramp.

Maybe for some the solution would be to lift heavy in the winter and get more into running during summertime?
would 2 good runs be ideal every week?

Notsonicemom

• Getbig II
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »

Best to run early in the am to before it gets warm that being said I'm glad we have a half mile track in my town but doing a 10 miler there before work will not be fun I'm legit running in circles

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2014, 07:19:02 PM »

Yeah that could work.

But like oldtimer said, running 5 miles(especially now where we'll start seeing 90+ degrees) then cranking out a heavy deadlift session is pretty damn tough.

And for alot of people who are trying to make strength gains in the gym, that feeling of knowing your strength levels are compromised because of the cardio work put in brings a somewhat demoralized feeling when those dumbbells/barbells begin to feel heavier.

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2014, 07:19:08 PM »

Find whatever mileage works best for your body. I find that 25mi/week is perfect for me. Probably 14mi/week if the focus is on lifting. I have no pain. 30-35mi/week made my body break down and I got injured.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2014, 07:21:53 PM »
Best to run early in the am to before it gets warm that being said I'm glad we have a half mile track in my town but doing a 10 miler there before work will not be fun I'm legit running in circles

haha yeah at that point it just feels like a slightly bigger hamster wheel/track in a sense.  :-\

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2014, 07:24:26 PM »

That's my number when healthy. Add two upper body lifting days plus one squat session a week and you're good to go. I don't run and lift on the same day and don't run the day before or after squatting.

Notsonicemom

• Getbig II
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2014, 07:27:39 PM »
I tweeked Hal Higdons 24 week prep for number 3 marathon I'm doing 20 weeks as I've done 3 half marathons since end of March and have another one in two weeks but prep starts next week

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2014, 07:31:40 PM »
do you lift everyday?

I switch it up a lot. I have been lifting forever. Right now it's about 4 to 5 days a week with the split I'm using now.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2014, 07:33:25 PM »

Good advice switching priorities according the the seasons. It would be great to be good at both wouldn't it, but that animal doesn't exist.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2014, 07:35:44 PM »
Combining lifting and running in the same workout is going to make one or the other suffer A LOT (depending on which you do first). I've found that neither activity suffers when I'm "fresh." I have better stamina and speed since i've been lifting more frequently. My running doesn't seem to impact my lifting strength, unless I do 8+ miles and it's a day or two after the run.

My strength goes south with a lot less miles. There is no way I'm going to rip a hard 5 mile and be able to pile on the plates for deads and deep Olympic squats the day after.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2014, 09:04:25 AM »
Running on the street=sucks
trail runs= :)