Author Topic: Neck training  (Read 68224 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Neck training
« on: May 10, 2014, 02:39:39 AM »
Now this simple Piece of kit i never see now. I myself used to use a plate wrapped in a towel head hanging off bench. I mentioned this neck harness to a Guy in the Gym yesterday and he did not know what it was.. ::) We do not have a machine of sorts for neck Training and most seem to rely on shrugs, upright rows, deadlifts for a thick neck. any of you Guys still use it ?

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Neck training
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 07:19:44 AM »
I own one made of nylon and two leather.
My other "big" neck movement was plate forehead raises done from a supine position on a bench.

I sheepishly admit that I haven't trained my neck in well over a year. Although, when I did, I'm convinced that it saved my sorry ass more than once when wrestling.

Rammstein

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 09:15:10 AM »
Yes, still use it (almost) regularly.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 09:59:49 AM »
Head straps are in most boxing, MMA and other sports raining centers. Leather, nylon or heavy cotton. Remember to use front & back positions when using one. Most just use fron tfacing positions.

I know Montague knows this well. Wrestler bridges are exceptional, though some have a fear of them..if done right, should be no problem. Also old school head lock drills are good.

Some of the best of results have been with a training partner giving resistance to the neck; hitting all three positions, front, rear and the sides. Can use a simple towel, strap, etc. One of the advantages is that negative reps can also be given, with the positive reps.

Shrugs, cleans, Hi-pulls, etc don't always give the max results if looking for a larger neck. Necks, on the average, tend to grow somewhat fast, when focusing on them in serious training. So many BB'ers have what is called pencil necks.

Good Luck
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 10:23:45 AM »
Head straps are in most boxing, MMA and other sports raining centers. Leather, nylon or heavy cotton. Remember to use front & back positions when using one. Most just use fron tfacing positions.

I know Montague knows this well. Wrestler bridges are exceptional, though some have a fear of them..if done right, should be no problem. Also old school head lock drills are good.

Some of the best of results have been with a training partner giving resistance to the neck; hitting all three positions, front, rear and the sides. Can use a simple towel, strap, etc. One of the advantages is that negative reps can also be given, with the positive reps.

Shrugs, cleans, Hi-pulls, etc don't always give the max results if looking for a larger neck. Necks, on the average, tend to grow somewhat fast, when focusing on them in serious training. So many BB'ers have what is called pencil necks.

Good Luck

x2 on the bridges. For many variations, as with most body weight exercises, one can make the movement easier or harder through slight adjustments in positioning. This is very helpful for learning the exercise, and also to use until the neck muscles become strong enough to handle a heavier load.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 11:01:16 AM »
Montague:   Funk 51 might help me here, but remembering seeing an old, old picture of a guy doing bridges with some pretty impressive weight. Think he pull the weight up and over the body, rather than it being handed to him, while in a bridge position..

Did a lot of neck and shrug exercise in football,even a head strap hooked to cables . The neck has a short ROM, and like most other short ROM muscles (example...traps/calves/abs), very powerful. Some of the old neck harness lifting records were outstanding.

Good Luck
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 03:08:33 PM »
Montague:   Funk 51 might help me here, but remembering seeing an old, old picture of a guy doing bridges with some pretty impressive weight. Think he pull the weight up and over the body, rather than it being handed to him, while in a bridge position..

Did a lot of neck and shrug exercise in football,even a head strap hooked to cables . The neck has a short ROM, and like most other short ROM muscles (example...traps/calves/abs), very powerful. Some of the old neck harness lifting records were outstanding.

Good Luck

LOL...I know the EXACT picture you're referring to!!
Funk Sr. has in his possession at least one scan of every photo from every Hoffman and Weider magazine pre-1970. What's more amazing is his ability to find and post specific pictures at will, as they pertain to various topics here.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 12:38:58 PM »
I use a neck strap to hit the back of the neck. To get the front I use to lie on my back on a bench and put a folded towel on my forehead. You can then put a plate on it for neck curls if you just lightly support it with your hands. Then I would just use hand pressure for reps for the side. Sometimes even using neck twists with manual hand pressure.

I have been using a variation of this neck helmet. It works really well lying on a bench in various position. I just use one set per side of high reps.

Dicki_Nurmom

• Getbig II
  • FILT RULES!
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 04:52:08 AM »
i have a head harness but mostly train my neck using BW movements... different bridges and rotations as well as isometrics using power bands

Pumpzilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 03:28:29 AM »
I own one made of nylon and two leather.
My other "big" neck movement was plate forehead raises done from a supine position on a bench.

I sheepishly admit that I haven't trained my neck in well over a year. Although, when I did, I'm convinced that it saved my sorry ass more than once when wrestling.

I've been doing plate forehead raises in a decline position on the bench the past couple of months. Has been pretty good at developing my neck. I got into wanting a thicker neck after seeing The Rock's in Faster. Before that I never trained my neck specifically.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 06:04:56 AM »

I've been doing plate forehead raises in a decline position on the bench the past couple of months. Has been pretty good at developing my neck. I got into wanting a thicker neck after seeing The Rock's in Faster. Before that I never trained my neck specifically.

Rock comes from a football background, and I don't doubt that neck training was part of his regimen.

Rock's best physiques came, IMO, after he left wrestling and had more time to train, eat, and recover better. There are a couple of films in which he looked incredible. I've only seen trailers, but Hercules seems to be one of this roles.

Pumpzilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 10:18:34 AM »

Rock comes from a football background, and I don't doubt that neck training was part of his regimen.

Rock's best physiques came, IMO, after he left wrestling and had more time to train, eat, and recover better. There are a couple of films in which he looked incredible. I've only seen trailers, but Hercules seems to be one of this roles.

Oh definitely! I remember seeing a video of him training at Miami University. He was using some sort of standing machine for neck.

And yes, his best physique has come after his wrestling career. Especially after his contract with Disney was up. He just went into full monster mode after that. Just went into training, dieting, and the anabolics full bore.

On his Facebook page he showed his cheat day after 100 consecutive days of eating clean. The man can put some food away. Haha!

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 02:27:21 PM »

Maybe it's because I have a wrestling background, but, I never understood why bodybuilders so often neglect neck when it's arguably the most visible muscle.

Forehead raises IMO is the best exercise. Try twisting raises, if you aren't already doing them. That's what develops those big SCM muscles on the side of your neck.

Pumpzilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 02:35:46 PM »
Maybe it's because I have a wrestling background, but, I never understood why bodybuilders so often neglect neck when it's arguably the most visible muscle.

Forehead raises IMO is the best exercise. Try twisting raises, if you aren't already doing them. That's what develops those big SCM muscles on the side of your neck.

I also do a raise similar to forehead raises, but I lay on my side withe the weight the side of my head.

When I do forehead plate raises I do 7 sets for 20 reps each. Fort the sides it's 5 sets for 20 reps a set on each side.

I currently use 7 and a half pounds for the forehead raises and 5 pounds for the sides. I've had a neck injury several years ago, so I'm very careful with moving forward with weight.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2014, 05:08:18 PM »

Damn... You just gave me a flashback to A&P I class!!

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 04:58:00 AM »
Funny this has popped up... The only time I dabble with neck or forearm training is when im off the gear, its those two areas that are most obvious that somthing is missing..

Think I'll throw them in again, a strong looking neck is a good look imo..

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 04:06:48 PM »
Funny this has popped up... The only time I dabble with neck or forearm training is when im off the gear, its those two areas that are most obvious that somthing is missing..

Think I'll throw them in again, a strong looking neck is a good look imo..

Why don't you train them when "on?"

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2014, 02:05:06 PM »
It looks just about right when on...

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 10:13:56 AM »
LOL "MMA finance warrior of peace" haha like it

Rammstein

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2014, 09:44:44 PM »

Pumpzilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2014, 10:53:44 PM »

Rammstein

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2014, 11:09:40 PM »

Pumpzilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2014, 11:19:13 PM »
Thanks. Didn't notice the bad link.

No problem at all.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2014, 06:44:02 AM »
Neck training always makes me dizzy like blood stops going to my brain.