Author Topic: What's a good starter gun to protect the household? (bb related)  (Read 11569 times)

dustin

TLDR; Normally if there's any danger I can throw up a front double biceps or hit a most muscular and avert danger. But last week there was a murder rampage 3 blocks away and it shook me up. I need to know what's a good starter gun to keep at home. Getting my license very soon because I fear the gun laws will be changed any time soon.

Long version; The shooting was at a mill and there were 6 choppers that flew past my house along with more than a dozen sirens I heard rushing past while I was taking my morning shit. When news broke out I heard it was at a mill and I thought it was were my brother was working. I nearly broke down but found out it was a mill right by where his mill is. Two dead and four people shot by a disgruntled employee. My mom was at the ER and treated them all and said one buddy's face was shot right off and the other badly injured dude also died. The two deceased were flown to another hospital but she said she knew they weren't going to make it. Other two were lucky to live. And she had to treat the shooter too. The shooter was tackled by a couple brave employees but only had a few bumps and bruises... I think they should have turned the gun on him and did him in on the spot.

Anyway, later that day I'm doing yard work and run out of work beers, so I walk down to the liquor store a block away. My mom calls me frantic about a stabbing on my street "someone on your street just stabbed two people and is trying to break into houses to hide, get home right now!!!!". I turn around and run home to protect my wife and baby. Then I hear sirens again and the cops luckily apprehend the fucker. Shortly after, maybe a day or two, a 16 year old chick got stabbed more than 20 times as well but survived. :-\

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
Re: What's a good starter gun to protect the household? (bb related)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 10:25:12 AM »
Step 1, move out of the ghetto.

Step 2, go with a short barrel 12 guage shotgun. Some guys favor slugs, but honestlt, some size 7 1/2 target loads are gonna vaporize anything they touch.  Pattern size is huge, you don't have to be as precise as with a handgun, which require a fair amount of skill and experience for a rookie to accurately place a few shots during the scramble and heat of the moment. Much more room for error with a shotgun. The control and accuracy with a shotgun can't be beat.

Also you don't have to worry about sending your .45 round through your neighbors wall and hitting one of his kids.

Step 3, buy a handgun as well, before they outlaw them. .40 glock or similar model  is a great starter gun.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 10:28:35 AM »
Remington 870 Police in 12 ga. 18-1/2 barrel. #4 buck FTW!

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 10:28:50 AM »
DUSTIN, email them (they'll reply back to when they're getting another shipment), thank me later!!!
P.S.  Best damn deal in CANADA, they are 100% reliable weapon!!https://www.marstar.ca/dynamic/product.jsp?productid=75650

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 10:29:03 AM »
Where do you live that your shook up after this incident? Does this incident occur often in your neighborhood?
X

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 10:34:31 AM »
Pick up a revolver like an S & W #10 in .38, or a S & W #66 in .357 if the folks in your house can handle the size of it. A .357 will allow you to shoot .38's out of it also. While it is easier to teach a beginner with a .22, a mildly loaded .38 is mellow enough for older children and women to handle easily, and you can move up the power of loadings as you progress. It also allows the casual gun owner the ability to do a lot of things without having a lot of guns or money tied up in them.

Mechanically, it's a very easy and safe design for the layman to get their head around.

If you want to pair it with a long gun, a #12 guage on something like the Remington 870 platform, and load it with #4 or #oo buckshot, and you'll be able to handle anything.

Simple Simon

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 10:39:07 AM »

dustin

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 10:41:37 AM »
Thanks, fellas. I'm getting a shotgun along with a handgun before they're outlawed for sure. And I also don't live in the ghetto either, which is the scary thing. Lots of random acts of violence. Lived in this quiet town for over 20 years but everywhere is becoming ghetto. People can't just throw fists anymore and go get a beer after.

Will check out all of these recommendations shortly. The wife and I have been to the shooting range numerous times but my work schedule's never allowed me to go get my permit. Off work for the summer so I'll get that permit before Canada changes their gun laws. Even if the laws did change, I don't give a fuck anymore and would get a gun anyway. Family comes first.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 10:42:09 AM »

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 10:46:33 AM »
any gun that is reliable will get the same effect

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 10:58:42 AM »
Remington 870.   Thread over.
a

ChopperRider

• Getbig V
  • Ugly, bald Shitso scalp for sale = $1
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 11:04:57 AM »
Buy a pump shotgun....any home intruder hears the unmistakable sound of you racking it and good chance they will tuck tail and run.

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 11:12:32 AM »
AR 15 Bushmaster works well for most.

Leatherneck

• Getbig IV
  • Still as lean, just as mean, former US Marine
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 11:16:05 AM »
I'd recommend a basic revolver... especially if you have kids or if you plan to have kids in your house.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 11:32:54 AM »
Step 1, move out of the ghetto.

Step 2, go with a short barrel 12 guage shotgun. Some guys favor slugs, but honestlt, some size 7 1/2 target loads are gonna vaporize anything they touch.  Pattern size is huge, you don't have to be as precise as with a handgun, which require a fair amount of skill and experience for a rookie to accurately place a few shots during the scramble and heat of the moment. Much more room for error with a shotgun. The control and accuracy with a shotgun can't be beat.

Also you don't have to worry about sending your .45 round through your neighbors wall and hitting one of his kids.

Step 3, buy a handgun as well, before they outlaw them. .40 glock or similar model  is a great starter gun.

yeah, I like this advice.   Move first, if possible.  Shotgun is nice, but a glock 26 or glock 19 might also work as that home defense thing, since scaring off a bad guy might save your skin more than gun battle skill.  There's a certain confidence as you dare the MFer to walk into a gun battle and maybe even fire a round or two as warning, should be have already breached home.  Is he really going to advance to a bedroom after breaching front door, if you're screaming like scarface and shooting holes in the floor?

finally, stay away from shady ppl.  Most of those home invasions, the dudes know the invaders... they saw their shit, they know they have drugs, etc.  

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2014, 11:35:37 AM »
DUSTIN, email them (they'll reply back to when they're getting another shipment), thank me later!!!
P.S.  Best damn deal in CANADA, they are 100% reliable weapon!!https://www.marstar.ca/dynamic/product.jsp?productid=75650

Under no circumstances should you buy this unbelievable piece of shit.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2014, 11:47:36 AM »
Having a well trained small dog is a huge burglary detterant.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2014, 11:50:08 AM »
Rule #1: long gun > handgun

If having your wife be proficient with the shotgun is important (I recommend it. My wife has her carry permit and her own guns), then get the 870P in 20 ga. Almost as lethal and quite a bit less recoil.

Do not get that Bad Chinese ripoff of a shit Czech pistol. Jesus, where do you get that crap? If a pistol is a requirement, spend for quality. The best gun for the money is Glock, hands down. Don't bother with a .40 if your wife will need to use it. The Glock 19 is their compact 9mm. Big enough so that the recoil is manageable and small enough for female hands. As a matter of fact, I hate the .40, the recoil is unnecessarily snappy. Better to hit with one round than miss with 16.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2014, 11:50:51 AM »
Perfect for basic home defence:

Simple Simon

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 11:51:10 AM »

That_Dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 11:55:27 AM »

Would never buy a Norc. When it comes down to it I'm not trusting my life to a Chinese made gun. Springfield 1911 FTW

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2014, 11:56:31 AM »
Remington 870.   Thread over.

Yes, also it's a bit more difficult to kill yourself with it, thus lowering the increased risk of suicide inherent to gun ownership

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2014, 11:56:52 AM »

Those beds would sell well in Texas.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2014, 12:00:35 PM »

That's an 870 Marine Magnum coming out of that bed.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2014, 12:51:53 PM »
Rule #1: long gun > handgun

If having your wife be proficient with the shotgun is important (I recommend it. My wife has her carry permit and her own guns), then get the 870P in 20 ga. Almost as lethal and quite a bit less recoil.

Do not get that Bad Chinese ripoff of a shit Czech pistol. Jesus, where do you get that crap? If a pistol is a requirement, spend for quality. The best gun for the money is Glock, hands down. Don't bother with a .40 if your wife will need to use it. The Glock 19 is their compact 9mm. Big enough so that the recoil is manageable and small enough for female hands. As a matter of fact, I hate the .40, the recoil is unnecessarily snappy. Better to hit with one round than miss with 16.

Amen.

This x 10000.