Author Topic: What's a good starter gun to protect the household? (bb related)  (Read 11566 times)

Mawse

• Getbig IV
Re: What's a good starter gun to protect the household? (bb related)
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2014, 12:55:26 PM »

I figure navy SEALs would probably pick a pretty good sidearm, its only a 9mm but a very nice one.

we live near a large population of Disadvantaged Hebrews enjoying free housing courtesy of the Californian Taxpayer, and I'm more worried about one of Obamas Sons stealing mine if they break in when no-ones home.

Keep it in the bedside table usually but hide it when I leave the house.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2014, 01:27:56 PM »

I figure navy SEALs would probably pick a pretty good sidearm, its only a 9mm but a very nice one.

we live near a large population of Disadvantaged Hebrews enjoying free housing courtesy of the Californian Taxpayer, and I'm more worried about one of Obamas Sons stealing mine if they break in when no-ones home.

The MK25. I almost bought one at SigArms last year when I took their week-long defensive rifle course. It was $1000 and felt like shit. Now keep in mind that I used to be a Sig guy and have a 226, 229, 228, and a 220ST, so I know that I like them. As cool as it was, I just couldn't do it. The extra $350 gets you the little anchor on the side, $100 night sights and some "coated" parts in case it gets wet. Feh.

Switched over to Glocks about 10 years ago and haven't looked back.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2014, 01:31:41 PM »
Remington 870.   Thread over.

Buy a pump shotgun....any home intruder hears the unmistakable sound of you racking it and good chance they will tuck tail and run.

QFT

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2014, 01:34:06 PM »
Buy a pump shotgun....any home intruder hears the unmistakable sound of you racking it and good chance they will tuck tail and run.

Of course, that means that you came to a gun party with your weapon out of battery. And you gave away your position with a loud sound. Gunny says go back to class.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2014, 01:35:17 PM »
The MK25. I almost bought one at SigArms last year when I took their week-long defensive rifle course. It was $1000 and felt like shit. Now keep in mind that I used to be a Sig guy and have a 226, 229, 228, and a 220ST, so I know that I like them. As cool as it was, I just couldn't do it. The extra $350 gets you the little anchor on the side, $100 night sights and some "coated" parts in case it gets wet. Feh.

Switched over to Glocks about 10 years ago and haven't looked back.

I appreciate the cost is excessive and a standard 226 would be just as good... but I got mine before Frankenstein dumped it from the CA approved list. Telling me I can't have something is a good way to make me get it.

Got a non LCI model too :)

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2014, 01:39:09 PM »
I appreciate the cost is excessive and a standard 226 would be just as good... but I got mine before Frankenstein dumped it from the CA approved list. Telling me I can't have something is a good way to make me get it.

Got a non LCI model too :)

The 226 is a sweet platform to run a suppressor. Not well known, but not all guns run cans well. The 226 in 9mm, the Glock 34 in 9mm. That H&K SOCOM monstrosity. They run suppressed flawlessly.

Get a threaded barrel (1/2":28) for the MK25. Someday you'll find yourself in a free state and you'll be ready for some quiet goodness.

http://www.sigsauer.com/SigStore/sig-sauer-threaded-barrels-311.aspx

Edit: the Sig threaded barrels are using a non-standard pitch. I don't know what their damage is.

dustin

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2014, 01:51:19 PM »
Awesome info! Very much appreciated!

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2014, 01:57:14 PM »

why does that pistol carry kuehne+nagel symbol?

armed transportation?

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2014, 02:01:42 PM »
Of course, that means that you came to a gun party with your weapon out of battery. And you gave away your position with a loud sound. Gunny says go back to class.

It's like a warning shot, except you don't have to patch up your drywall

MichaelScottDM

• Getbig III
  • I did save a life today! My own!
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2014, 02:03:43 PM »
Another poster mentioned a glock, and I would recommend this make as well. Best bang for your buck. I've got the .40 cal for home protection.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2014, 02:16:18 PM »
two choices.

12ga shotgun with an 18in barrel loaded with birdshot (less likelihood of over-penetration)

or

full size 1911 (single-stack) or HK USP in .45cal. (less penetration than 9mm, lower velocity, ect).. I'm not a fan of Glock/striker-pistols.

... either way I'd say equip the weapon with a strobe/flashlight.

or, you could go with a .357 and load it with .38 ammo and make it much easier to handle. I'd never waste money on a .38 pistol. If I want to shoot .38, it's always though a .357 frame.

after a while, after you become accustomed to shooting and feel comfortable (and assuming you'll be the only one firing it) you could go to an ar15 in the smallest, most easily maneuverable configuration you can find/build (for yourself) and shoot "low power" .223. but with that over penetration is a problem if you're not comfortable controlling your shot. even though it's a small projectile, it travels fast and will easily pass through one side of a cars rear quarter-panel (or even a door), through the trunk and out the other side... so of course it'll pass though a couple drywall sheets of interior walls.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2014, 02:21:03 PM »
two choices.

12ga shotgun with an 18in barrel loaded with birdshot (less likelihood of over-penetration)

or

full size 1911 (single-stack) or HK USP in .45cal. (less penetration than 9mm, lower velocity, ect).. I'm not a fan of Glock/striker-pistols.

... either way I'd say equip the weapon with a strobe/flashlight.

or, you could go with a .357 and load it with .38 ammo and make it much easier to handle. I'd never waste money on a .38 pistol. If I want to shoot .38, it's always though a .357 frame.

after a while, after you become accustomed to shooting and feel comfortable (and assuming you'll be the only one firing it) you could go to an ar15 in the smallest, most easily maneuverable configuration you can find/build (for yourself) and shoot "low power" .223. but with that over penetration is a problem if you're not comfortable controlling your shot. even though it's a small projectile, it travels fast and will easily pass through one side of a cars rear quarter-panel (or even a door), through the trunk and out the other side... so of course it'll pass though a couple drywall sheets of interior walls.

IMHO, the 1911 is not a beginner's pistol. Even the best are finicky and there are a lot of controls to master (manual safety, grip safety). Don't even get me started about disassembly.

I used to dislike striker pistols until I started to realize the beauty and simplicity in their design.

And yes, I have a Model 70 Gold Cup that I tricked out to the moon before I realized I shot my stupid Glock 34 better in competitions.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2014, 02:33:12 PM »
IMHO, the 1911 is not a beginner's pistol. Even the best are finicky and there are a lot of controls to master (manual safety, grip safety). Don't even get me started about disassembly.

I used to dislike striker pistols until I started to realize the beauty and simplicity in their design.

And yes, I have a Model 70 Gold Cup that I tricked out to the moon before I realized I shot my stupid Glock 34 better in competitions.

I shot a 1911 (and a luger and 92fs, but the 92 always felt uncomfortable to hold) since I was 7yrs old... after a day or two at a range (or even out in the country) a 1911 should be easy to shoot. it's the best 'feeling' gun I've held till this day.... disassembly is another story. for a beginner, take it to a gunsmith. lol

after nearly 10yrs of DA pistols, first time I went to double-tap with a striker-pistol I thought the fucking thing was broke, or jammed.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2014, 02:36:33 PM »
What the hell is a starter gun?  I carried a Sig for work for years. Outstanding firearm that's very easy to shoot accurately and never jams. It's expensive but you get what you pay for.

Home defense is close range.  There is no better weapon under 40 yards than a shot gun. That is why police departments across the country it's the go to gun when the shit hits the fan. Hitting stationary paper targets at 25 yards with a hand gun while nice and relaxed is easy. When you have a moving target that is shooting at you it's another ball game. Misses are common with trained shooters with a handgun at 7 yards in a life threatening situation. A shotgun will provide you with multiple projectiles in one pull of the trigger. If someone said you can have any small arm for a battle that takes place 40 yards and under I would chose a shotgun. It's better than a sub machine gun, rifle or a hand gun. One pull of the trigger with a 3" # 4 buck 12 gauge will sent 41 .24 caliber balls toward a target at over 1300 feet per second. Pull the trigger twice and 82 on target without aiming but pointing.  

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2014, 02:37:48 PM »
I shot a 1911 (and a luger and 92fs, but the 92 always felt uncomfortable to hold) since I was 7yrs old... after a day or two at a range (or even out in the country) a 1911 should be easy to shoot. it's the best 'feeling' gun I've held till this day.... disassembly is another story. for a beginner, take it to a gunsmith. lol

after nearly 10yrs of DA pistols, first time I went to double-tap with a striker-pistol I thought the fucking thing was broke, or jammed.

It's a long road to get 1911 presentation right. To master the draw and bring your thumb down on the safety as you find in front sight. I've seen seasoned guys forget the safety in a heated moment and then spend several crucial seconds helplessly yanking at the trigger. Simplify, simplify.

But it is a great gun and you're right, it is a joy to shoot.

Simple Simon

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2014, 03:17:08 PM »

Are you allowed to have a gun now?

Skylge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2014, 03:18:42 PM »
What the hell is a starter gun?  I carried a Sig for work for years. Outstanding firearm that's very easy to shoot accurately and never jams. It's expensive but you get what you pay for.

Home defense is close range.  There is no better weapon under 40 yards than a shot gun. That is why police departments across the country it's the go to gun when the shit hits the fan. Hitting stationary paper targets at 25 yards with a hand gun while nice and relaxed is easy. When you have a moving target that is shooting at you it's another ball game. Misses are common with trained shooters with a handgun at 7 yards in a life threatening situation. A shotgun will provide you with multiple projectiles in one pull of the trigger. If someone said you can have any small arm for a battle that takes place 40 yards and under I would chose a shotgun. It's better than a sub machine gun, rifle or a hand gun. One pull of the trigger with a 3" # 4 buck 12 gauge will sent 41 .24 caliber balls toward a target at over 1300 feet per second. Pull the trigger twice and 82 on target without aiming but pointing.  

Are automatick shotguns legal in most states?

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2014, 03:26:13 PM »

Yeah...I think the majority of the posters in this thread, though good intentioned, are forgetting the main point that he needs an easy to use, beginners firearm.

HavoX

• Getbig IV
  • Shamed by thunderdome
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2014, 03:30:20 PM »

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2014, 03:36:36 PM »
Are automatick shotguns legal in most states?

Semi auto, self cycling guns like a Browning Auto 5 are legal in all states. A full auto, if you could find one would need a destructive device tax stamp and a class III stamp, plus a form sign off.

Some states like NY also regulate shotguns on certain features, so something like a Spas - 12 or Benelli Super 90 isn't happening, but that's only in a few states.

A short barreled shotgun is legal in many states on a AOW tax stamp and form sign off.

Generally shotguns have little regulation as long as they can be shown to have a sporting purpose.

spiro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2014, 03:37:42 PM »
Step 1, move out of the ghetto.

Step 2, go with a short barrel 12 guage shotgun. Some guys favor slugs, but honestlt, some size 7 1/2 target loads are gonna vaporize anything they touch.  Pattern size is huge, you don't have to be as precise as with a handgun, which require a fair amount of skill and experience for a rookie to accurately place a few shots during the scramble and heat of the moment. Much more room for error with a shotgun. The control and accuracy with a shotgun can't be beat.

Also you don't have to worry about sending your .45 round through your neighbors wall and hitting one of his kids.

Step 3, buy a handgun as well, before they outlaw them. .40 glock or similar model  is a great starter gun.

Birdshot isn't going to do shit! I've seen various demonstrations on ballistics gell you would have to shoot someone right in the face. Get 0000 buck or 00 buck. Target loads have no penetration power. If you're going to do it do it right. The least powerful thing is a good turkey load you could use that.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2014, 03:38:49 PM »
Semi auto, self cycling guns like a Browning Auto 5 are legal in all states. A full auto, if you could find one would need a destructive device tax stamp and a class III stamp, plus a form sign off.

Some states like NY also regulate shotguns on certain features, so something like a Spas - 12 or Benelli Super 90 isn't happening, but it that's only in a few states.

A short barreled shotgun is legal in many states on a AOW tax stamp and form sign off.

Generally shotguns have little regulation as long as they can be shown to have a sporting purpose.

Also, if you have an ATF 07/SOT you can own or make your own FA shotgun. Why is another question.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2014, 03:39:55 PM »
Birdshot isn't going to do shit! I've seen various demonstrations on ballistics gell you would have to shoot someone right in the face. Get 0000 buck or 00 buck. Target loads have no penetration power. If you're going to do it do it right. The least powerful thing is a good turkey load you could use that.

Time to consult The Box O' Truth!

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

spiro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2014, 03:41:34 PM »
Time to consult The Box O' Truth!

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

Yup exactly birdshot is useless very bad idea. If someone armed and serious come in our serious assailants you want the right tool.

spiro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2014, 03:50:17 PM »
Get one.of this super nova autos and break it in. Bad ass! Or one of these lol

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=YtjNZrCi1LA