Author Topic: 2014 IFBB Europa Dallas - Branch Warren wins! Results!  (Read 26064 times)

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
Re: Branch Warren wins 2014 IFBB Europa Dallas Supershow
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2014, 08:13:30 AM »
The classic douchebag relaxed lat pose.

WOW!  This little troll is winning shows but Ronnie, even with injuries, got robbed of his 9th Mr O by an inferior Cutler

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2014, 08:43:55 AM »

bentone

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2014, 08:48:29 AM »
Foaud was robbed. Branch Warren is a mess. He carries a shit ton of dry muscle but it just doesn't have any flow. Plus his torn right pec is ridiculous. I don't blame him for stepping on stage but the judging is so shitty it is absurd. If the judges had half a brain they would reward guys that have a look that is worth aspiring to. No one pics up weights for the first time wanting to look like Branch. These judges have no concept of how their shit judging is partly responsible for killing bodybuilding a popularity.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2014, 08:57:22 AM »

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2014, 09:25:27 AM »

That's not playing in the background while Branch nails his hot wife..

Rascal full

• Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2014, 09:45:35 AM »
Foaud was robbed. Branch Warren is a mess. He carries a shit ton of dry muscle but it just doesn't have any flow. Plus his torn right pec is ridiculous. I don't blame him for stepping on stage but the judging is so shitty it is absurd. If the judges had half a brain they would reward guys that have a look that is worth aspiring to. No one pics up weights for the first time wanting to look like Branch. These judges have no concept of how their shit judging is partly responsible for killing bodybuilding a popularity.
Well said that man!

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2014, 10:55:53 AM »
So the relaxed pic of Branch is what wins shows nowadays and yet Matt couldn`t turn pro in the 80s with this physique.

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2014, 11:21:32 AM »
Bodybuilding is dead.

1960-2001.

RIP.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2014, 11:27:42 AM »
So the relaxed pic of Branch is what wins shows nowadays and yet Matt couldn`t turn pro in the 80s with this physique.

That's because he couldn't nail his condition during crunch time. Plus, I don't recall Mendenhall's ever competing in the USA or North American. He kept trying to turn pro via the Nationals.

Actually, I stand corrected. He won his class at the 1985 USA but lost the overall to Dave Hawk. But, the USA didn't become a pro qualifier until 1987 (the year Mike Quinn won it). Dave Hawk and J.J Marsh got grandfathered to pro status, from winning the show in '85 and '86 respectively.

Outside of that, according to MuscleMemory.com, he only entered the NPC Nationals. Had he tried the USA or North American, he'd been a pro a long time ago. Had he done the NAs in 1991, tell me he doesn't beat Ray McNeil for the Heavyweight and overall title.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2014, 11:32:41 AM »
the sport will die soon

why would anyone put there self through that shit

to lose to a hideous abberation

branch should have retired
T

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2014, 11:36:57 AM »
the sport will die soon

why would anyone put there self through that shit

to lose to a hideous abberation

branch should have retired

This sport has been supposedly dying for years. But, it's like Rasputin. Abiad looked (relatively speaking) a bit emaciated in certain shots, compared to Warren. I would have put Jackson about Abiad.

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2014, 11:40:21 AM »
That's because he couldn't nail his condition during crunch time. Plus, I don't recall Mendenhall's ever competing in the USA or North American. He kept trying to turn pro via the Nationals.

Actually, I stand corrected. He won his class at the 1985 USA but lost the overall to Dave Hawk. But, the USA didn't become a pro qualifier until 1987 (the year Mike Quinn won it). Dave Hawk and J.J Marsh got grandfathered to pro status, from winning the show in '85 and '86 respectively.

Outside of that, according to MuscleMemory.com, he only entered the NPC Nationals. Had he tried the USA or North American, he'd been a pro a long time ago. Had he done the NAs in 1991, tell me he doesn't beat Ray McNeil for the Heavyweight and overall title.

I know all about Matts contest record and inability to get ripped,but my point was that a physique that good,over 30 years ago,is 100x better than the one that Branch has that wins pro shows today.

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2014, 11:40:30 AM »
This sport has been supposedly dying for years. But, it's like Rasputin. Abiad looked (relatively speaking) a bit emaciated in certain shots, compared to Warren. I would have put Jackson about Abiad.
It'll never disappear entirely. But it's gone from being a sport whose competitions are aired on mainstream sports channels, featuring 5-minute workout segments with professional bodybuilders giving training tips (see the cheesy Wheeler/Matarazzo videos on Youtube), to having its programming yanked entirely from television and even its most storied event (Olympia) is only available by webcast on bodybuilding.com. Magazine sales are in the toilet. Dave Palumbo is recycled on every bodybuilding expo interview cycle because they don't want to pay two people to do it. The Internet radio shows are mostly shuttered. Nobody in the general population wants to look like the IFBB guys anymore, unlike 20 years ago when guys with roided arms and fanny packs were common in the beaches of S. Florida and California.

It's as "dead" as it's going to get. There'll always be a bunch of wannabes and knaves who enlist in local shows hoping to win at nationals and go pro one day. But they're the bottom of the barrel. Just listen to them talk with a microphone.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2014, 11:44:49 AM »
It'll never disappear entirely. But it's gone from being a sport whose competitions are aired on mainstream sports channels, featuring 5-minute workout segments with professional bodybuilders giving training tips (see the cheesy Wheeler/Matarazzo videos on Youtube), to having its programming yanked entirely from television and even its most storied event (Olympia) is only available by webcast on bodybuilding.com. Magazine sales are in the toilet. Dave Palumbo is recycled on every bodybuilding expo interview cycle because they don't want to pay two people to do it. The Internet radio shows are mostly shuttered. Nobody in the general population wants to look like the IFBB guys anymore, unlike 20 years ago when guys with roided arms and fanny packs were common in the beaches of S. Florida and California.

It's as "dead" as it's going to get. There'll always be a bunch of wannabes and knaves who enlist in local shows hoping to win at nationals and go pro one day. But they're the bottom of the barrel. Just listen to them talk with a microphone.

Actually, the internet has saved bodybuilding. Half the time, when bodybuilding was on TV, it was during the wee hours of the morning covering shows that had happened months beforehand (i.e. American Muscle, MuscleSport USA).

That's why I was so psyched about the WBF in the early 90s. I got to see some of my favorite bodybuilders every week. And when the WBF championships happened in 1991, I saw the results on WWF Superstars the a week later, not 4-6 months later in the magazines.

This was aired on WWF Superstars and WWF Wrestling Challenge on June 22, 1991, one week after the show occurred.

As for wanting to look like the pros, it's a generational thing. I've had people give the "That's nasty" comments to picks of ARNOLD, in his prime. And that was just a few years ago. Every past generation of bodybuilding competitors (and fans) thinks that its bodybuilders were more accepted by the mainstrean than the current crop.

Look at your magazines from 20 years ago. You'll hear bodybuilders from the 70s (and the 80s) blasting the guys of the 90s.

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2014, 11:53:22 AM »
As for wanting to look like the pros, it's a generational thing. I've had people give the "That's nasty" comments to picks of ARNOLD, in his prime. And that was just a few years ago. Every past generation of bodybuilding competitors (and fans) thinks that its bodybuilders were more accepted by the mainstrean than the current crop.

Look at your magazines from 20 years ago. You'll hear bodybuilders from the 70s (and the 80s) blasting the guys of the 90s.
There is zero comparison between Arnold and the IFBB pros of 2014. Or even the ones of the 1980s-1990s.

Plenty of people admired Arnold's physique even long after he stepped down from competing. Nobody admires Phil Heath's physique besides Phil Heath and a few weirdos in the audience and on bb.com

There's being bigger than average, and then there's being a walking pharmacy with deformed hanging muscle.

As for the Internet saving BBing, I question how that's possible given that bodybuilding makes its money off ticket sales and magazine subscriptions. Not guys arguing about who had the best lats in 1998 vs. today on a message board or uploading videos to youtube with shitty metal musing blaring in the background.

Simple Simon

« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2014, 12:00:27 PM »
There is zero comparison between Arnold and the IFBB pros of 2014. Or even the ones of the 1980s-1990s.

Plenty of people admired Arnold's physique even long after he stepped down from competing. Nobody admires Phil Heath's physique besides Phil Heath and a few weirdos in the audience and on bb.com

There's being bigger than average, and then there's being a walking pharmacy with deformed hanging muscle.

As for the Internet saving BBing, I question how that's possible given that bodybuilding makes its money off ticket sales and magazine subscriptions. Not guys arguing about who had the best lats in 1998 vs. today on a message board or uploading videos to youtube with shitty metal musing blaring in the background.
Bodybuilding makes its money selling bullshit supplements to gullible kids, and adults.

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2014, 12:03:22 PM »
Bodybuilding makes its money selling bullshit supplements to gullible kids, and adults.
The main tool for marketing of which was the magazines. Or so it was. Perhaps online advertisements via social media have picked up the slack.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2014, 12:23:04 PM »

There's being bigger than average, and then there's being a walking pharmacy with deformed hanging muscle.[/Plenty of people admired Arnold's physique even long after he stepped down from competing. Nobody admires Phil Heath's physique besides Phil Heath and a few weirdos in the audience and on bb.com

And plenty more people said the SAME THING about Arnold then that you're saying about Phil Heath now. "He's grotesque!". "He's a steroid monster". "He's a closet homosexual". I'm sure you'll find more than your share of folks who thought Arnold was "a walking pharmacy with deformed hanging muscle."

Again, being able to watch contests online and getting the results almost immediately vs. waiting for months has done wonders for bodybuilding. And look at the guys who are using YouTube (i.e. Kali Muscle, CT Fletcher, Rich Piana, etc.). None of them are IFBB pros; yet their names rivals many pros, in terms of recognition.

Getting on TV is no longer a harbinger of success. The net allows bodybuilding to remain 'underground' yet reach more fans without the mainstream media's help.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2014, 12:24:38 PM »

The majority of supplement buyers aren't bodybuilders and have no desire to be bodybuilders.

Simple Simon

« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2014, 12:29:55 PM »
The majority of supplement buyers aren't bodybuilders and have no desire to be bodybuilders.
That has no bearing on what I wrote.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2014, 12:33:56 PM »

hence the new physique divisions

people can look at them on a supp add and think maybe i could look like that

i would only use a branch pic on rat poison
T

Icelord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2014, 12:35:00 PM »
And plenty more people said the SAME THING about Arnold then that you're saying about Phil Heath now. "He's grotesque!". "He's a steroid monster". "He's a closet homosexual". I'm sure you'll find more than your share of folks who thought Arnold was "a walking pharmacy with deformed hanging muscle."

Nope. I really haven't, bud. His physique is admired by virtually every guy I met. He's less popular with women but that's expected. Moreover, he hadn't pushed the limits of what the human body can do, far from it. Heath, Ruhl, Ronnie, Ramy, etc. are pretty much the maximum anyone can be with human DNA. There's no comparison, like I said. Some people didn't dig the 70s BBers at the time. But nobody digs the people today.

Again, being able to watch contests online and getting the results almost immediately vs. waiting for months has done wonders for bodybuilding. And look at the guys who are using YouTube (i.e. Kali Muscle, CT Fletcher, Rich Piana, etc.). None of them are IFBB pros; yet their names rivals many pros, in terms of recognition.

Those guys are Internet phenoms to a relatively small group of subscribers to their channels. Their videos do get relatively high views, but so do many other junk videos like how to put on makeup or play an electric guitar. It doesn't translate into real-life success except in rare cases, like Bieber.

Getting on TV is no longer a harbinger of success. The net allows bodybuilding to remain 'underground' yet reach more fans without the mainstream media's help.
I'd be willing to set my life savings against that theory. Offer the average guy with a popular Youtube channel a television show on a mainstream channel, and they would drop the Internet like a bad habit.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2014, 01:35:36 PM »
That has no bearing on what I wrote.

The only way these "kids" would be "gullible" is if they think taking those supplements will make them look like the bodybuilders who help advertise them.

But, if the lion's share of supplement consumers ARE NOT bodybuilders and do not WANT TO BE bodybuilders, what makes them "gullible"?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2014, 01:46:50 PM »
Nope. I really haven't, bud. His physique is admired by virtually every guy I met. He's less popular with women but that's expected. Moreover, he hadn't pushed the limits of what the human body can do, far from it. Heath, Ruhl, Ronnie, Ramy, etc. are pretty much the maximum anyone can be with human DNA. There's no comparison, like I said. Some people didn't dig the 70s BBers at the time. But nobody digs the people today.

Your qualification of "some" and "nobody" is a bit subjective to say the least. If more people dug Arnold's physique, then you'd have to explain why Heath gets six-figure for being Mr. O, or why guys who placed last at the O got as much money as Arnold (and only Arnold) got for winning it.

I've met people who admired Heath's physique; and I've met people who thought Shawn Ray (hardly a monster by bodybuilding standards) was "disgusting" and all those other negative items.

Certainly enough people dig today's bodybuilders or they wouldn't have the careers they have, especially in light of the aforementioned lack of mainstream press. Heath isn't getting $200,000 for winning the O, if there isn't a substantial audience that like his look.

Those guys are Internet phenoms to a relatively small group of subscribers to their channels. Their videos do get relatively high views, but so do many other junk videos like how to put on makeup or play an electric guitar. It doesn't translate into real-life success except in rare cases, like Bieber.

That makes my point. These small groups add up over time. YouTube allows the reaching of certain niches without the need for mainstream press. The bodybuilders have to follow up on it. But, those that do can parlay success from it. Kali Muscle is a prime example. And, didn't CT Fletcher just nab an endorsement deal with MusclePharm, based on his YouTube videos. Prior to that, he was basically a retired, virtually unknown powerlifter, sidelined with a near life-ending heart attack.

I'd be willing to set my life savings against that theory. Offer the average guy with a popular Youtube channel a television show on a mainstream channel, and they would drop the Internet like a bad habit.

Perhaps, I should have phrased my previous statement better. No one's disagreeing with you on that point. BUT, my point is that a show on a mainstream channel is NO LONGER the lone gateway to success, in terms of marketing bodybuilding. That's how bodybuilding has thrived, DESPITE its being dropped from stations like ESPN, which again were aired often during the wee hours of the morning with partial coverage of contests, that happened months before that broadcast.

Simple Simon

« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2014, 01:49:25 PM »
Your qualification of "some" and "nobody" is a bit subjective to say the least. If more people dug Arnold's physique, then you'd have to explain why Heath gets six-figure for being Mr. O, or why guys who placed last at the O got as much money as Arnold (and only Arnold) got for winning it.
Inflation maybe?