Author Topic: size does not mean strength.  (Read 9296 times)

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
size does not mean strength.
« on: January 23, 2006, 11:17:51 PM »
I find it funny that bodybuilders....with way bigger measurments than powerlifters, are expected to be strong just because they are big. like if a bunch of carpenters are lifting a frame up on a roof and a bodybuilder walks by they all go...hey this guy should be helping! they mean it as a joke i know but some of those guys who aren't big are probably very strong! There is alot of strong bodybuilders out there and training like a bodybuilder does increase strength but it doesnt mean we can lift anything we want. -----just something to talk about guys! ;)
bodybuildersreality.com

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
Re: size does not mean strength.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 02:50:46 AM »
That's because BB is about a lot of isolating excercises however functional strenghts usually requires a whole range of muscles. Besides that BB uses very explosive movements, functional strength is usually more static. Incorporate some gymnastics excercises in your BB program, I do it and it gets you strong and works wonders for your definition.

Acerimmer1

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 09:24:04 AM »
That's because BB is about a lot of isolating excercises however functional strenghts usually requires a whole range of muscles. Besides that BB uses very explosive movements, functional strength is usually more static. Incorporate some gymnastics excercises in your BB program, I do it and it gets you strong and works wonders for your definition.

Tricks of the trade come into play also

Sometimes a good technique can reduce your weight by 50% up your gains and be undetectable unless your lean and the target muscle isn't covered.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 02:33:46 PM »
yes thats all true...i was just saying like when your doing your everyday life...just cuz your big doesn't mean your super strong...lots of guys expect that...it leads to them wanting to fight you all the time too.
bodybuildersreality.com

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 02:56:05 PM »
Well, get them to do a triceps extension match or something... ;D

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 07:48:25 PM »
BUT SOMETIMES IT DOES!

Dball

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 08:26:21 PM »
by and large the strongest bodybuilders of as long as i can remember have been the biggest.  coleman, yates, nasser, although he goes lighter now.  why would you think that strength doesnt equate to size?  at many of the sows ive seen, its the powerlifters that diet down and are the thickest guys on the stage...  imo

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 09:18:59 PM »
by and large the strongest bodybuilders of as long as i can remember have been the biggest.  coleman, yates, nasser, although he goes lighter now.  why would you think that strength doesnt equate to size?  at many of the sows ive seen, its the powerlifters that diet down and are the thickest guys on the stage...  imo
finally some controversy!
bodybuildersreality.com

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 03:52:41 PM »
i'll agree! i know some dudes that are huge, but others that are not even bb's, and they are some of the strongest m'er f'ers out there! i'm no bb, but i've been told by bigger guys than me that i have a very strong grip when i shake someone's hand! (and no, it's not from whacking off so much!)  i've actually had bigger, supposedly stronger guys than me tell me i'm hurting them when i shook hands with them. (kinda makes me fell good to know that, in a way!) i'm stronger than i look!  ;D

Mosesinthesea

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 05:24:43 PM »
if you guys knew anything about physics - you would know that mass (size) is critical component -- so how can size NOT be a factor? 

Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 05:50:36 PM »
I know. Look at all those little guys competing in the Worlds Strongest Man.

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 06:40:01 PM »
Yes, Bill Kazmaier was a very small man. So is Ronnie Coleman.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2006, 09:14:53 PM »
bodybuildersreality.com

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 02:18:15 PM »
You can't get bigger without becoming stronger and you can't get stronger without getting bigger. There is a direct correlation between the two.
The House that Ruth built

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2006, 03:38:47 PM »
You can't get bigger without becoming stronger and you can't get stronger without getting bigger. There is a direct correlation between the two.
I would say this holds true most of the time, but there are exceptions. One of the strongest guys I've ever seen was not that big at all. I trained at the same gym as this guy for nearly 5 years and his strength continued to go up, but he never put on a ton of size, especially the kind of size that you would normally equate with the amount of strength he had.

Dball

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2006, 05:39:05 PM »
lets look at johnny jackson and branch warren. ronnie coleman, too.  all of them had their start in powerlifting, and all are huge.  when was the last time you saw a guy that could bench 500 or squat 600 or dead 750 that wasnt huge.  yes, there are those rare genetic aliens that dont have to lift heavy to get huge (paul dillet)  and those guys that are much stronger that their size would dictate (reic bui)  but those exceptions, not the rule.  again, look at yates, coleman, nasser.  all strong as hell.

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2006, 05:44:21 PM »
you're missing a whole ton of people. most pro bodybuilders are strong as hell. Markus Ruhl is an ANIMAL. Nasser El Sonbaty was an animal and so was Yates. Arnold Schwarzenegger was also a beast. He benched 500 and deadlifted 700... And barbell curled 250 or more. Bodybuilders are very strong for muscle endurance and powerlifting. because people who only powerlift can do more that dones't matter. they should. a bodybuilder can curl a 30 pound dumbell a lot more times than a powerlifter. that shows something. Franco Columbu was another one. Ferigno was STRONG too.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2006, 06:05:10 PM »
Ferigno was STRONG too.
100 pound seated dumbell curls...yeah id say thats pretty strong.
bodybuildersreality.com

Dball

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2006, 08:31:47 PM »
which is exactly my point.  the thickest bodybuilders, by and large are the strongest.  a generalization, yes, but a relativly true one.  now there are a ton of bodybuilders out there who dont have to lift heavy.  ive mentioned paul dillet,  but there was flex wheeler. he had about the best bodybuilding genetics ever, imo, and didnt lift heavy at all. cormier, before he got lazy in his dieting, used to bury him.  imagine what he would have looked like if he had REALLY busted his ass and lifted heavy.  now, we are not powerlifters, we are bodybuilders.  i think most powerlifters walk around like cripples, god bless them.  but strength training has more than its place in bodybuilding.

tony b

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2006, 02:08:34 AM »
There is a correlation between size and strength, but it is not always true.

Bodies

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2006, 02:51:59 AM »
which is exactly my point.  the thickest bodybuilders, by and large are the strongest.  a generalization, yes, but a relativly true one.  now there are a ton of bodybuilders out there who dont have to lift heavy.  ive mentioned paul dillet,  but there was flex wheeler. he had about the best bodybuilding genetics ever, imo, and didnt lift heavy at all. cormier, before he got lazy in his dieting, used to bury him.  imagine what he would have looked like if he had REALLY busted his ass and lifted heavy.  now, we are not powerlifters, we are bodybuilders.  i think most powerlifters walk around like cripples, god bless them.  but strength training has more than its place in bodybuilding.

Flex had very small joints so he was not built for heavy lifting like Cormier.  I don't know what Dillet's excuse was but I don't think he was weak either just had the rep of not being a hard trainer - but when you do a couple sets and blow up like crazy then how hard do you have to train?

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2006, 04:40:00 PM »
i saw a video of flex and he was lifting pretty heavy.
bodybuildersreality.com

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2006, 10:27:17 PM »
True brut strength is related to how strong your tendons and ligaments are.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2006, 01:35:43 PM »

Not true.
It is indeed possible to increase strength without size, I do it all the time.  The body does not have to adapt via hypertrophy,  there is neurological adaptation as well. However, increasing muscular size will always increase strength.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2006, 02:25:51 PM »
"I'm big because I'm strong.  Always remember that."

--Kevin Levrone