Author Topic: for all you "20-30 rep squats" people, how much weight do you actually use?  (Read 66722 times)

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
provided you dont lock out legs at the top and dont rest at the top, bar high on the traps, all the way down

i could only manage with 80kg, tried last week, then second set i had to rest/lockout for last 5 reps

also

how many sets?

thebrink

• Getbig V
225lbs 20-30 rep range, maybe 4-5 sets, this is after 3 sets of extensions to complete failure. 315+ hurts knees , genetic junk.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
225lbs 20-30 rep range, maybe 4-5 sets, this is after 3 sets of extensions to complete failure. 315+ hurts knees , genetic junk.
i never do extensions, retarded looking exercise

how is 225 for 20-30 better than 315 for 10-20 tho when it comes to muscles

obviously better for the spine but just theoretically

the trainer

provided you dont lock out legs at the top and dont rest at the top, bar high on the traps, all the way down

i could only manage with 80kg, tried last week, then second set i had to rest/lockout for last 5 reps

also

how many sets?

I do it with 225 pounds no resting no pausing no lockout and go all the way down, dont worry about the 80kg you will get stronger with time and soon you will be repping the 225.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
Most I ever did was 160kg for 20 reps, did it in a 8/6/4/2/1 type way as you fear you will collapse near end. Also did 227.5kg for 8 reps (with knee wraps) at 21.

Haven't squatted for 2 years cos of knee and lower back issues, quads have more than kept size and cuts by doing high rep lunges but I miss the do or die feel of a high rep set of squats. I'd get so nervous leg day, I loved the fear and anticipation.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
Most I ever did was 160kg for 20 reps, did it in a 8/6/4/2/1 type way as you fear you will collapse near end. Also did 227.5kg for 8 reps (with knee wraps) at 21.

Haven't squatted for 2 years cos of knee and lower back issues, quads have more than kept size and cuts by doing high rep lunges but I miss the do or die feel of a high rep set of squats. I'd get so nervous leg day, I loved the fear and anticipation.
why would you not use less weight so that you can do it without rest

this sounds like an ego game and dangerous

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG

TL;DR translation: high rep lunges worked exactly as well as 20 rep squats.

thebrink

• Getbig V
i never do extensions, retarded looking exercise

how is 225 for 20-30 better than 315 for 10-20 tho when it comes to muscles

obviously better for the spine but just theoretically

I dont believe it is, but it depends on the length of your legs/torso, your height and body mechanics. I made good progress just using 225 but obviously I wont go any further without progressive increments which im at a point where I dont know what to do. And if 315 doesn't hurt your knees then why not do it? At least 1 set of it in your squat session. You seem a little A.D.D. to me which is normal in bbing, but you need to simplify things and stop worrying about small details, as long as you stimulate you'll make gains its no rocket science. You're genetics will determine everything else.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
TL;DR translation: high rep lunges worked exactly as well as 20 rep squats.

I'm thinking that. I haven't gained size but I'm on lower doses so what can I expect on 500mg test?

My quads have always been good, I just bought the spiel that heavy squats are necessary even when I tore stomach muscles (from sheer exertion), damaged my sciatic nerve and had eternal DOMS from squats. I didn't do Platz like leg workouts but not far from. I went through a colonoscopy for fuck sake just to learn I'd torn stomach muscles squatting. (no homo)

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
I'm thinking that. I haven't gained size but I'm on lower doses so what can I expect on 500mg test?

My quads have always been good, I just bought the spiel that heavy squats are necessary even when I tore stomach muscles (from sheer exertion), damaged my sciatic nerve and had eternal DOMS from squats. I didn't do Platz like leg workouts but not far from. I went through a colonoscopy for fuck sake just to learn I'd torn stomach muscles squatting. (no homo)

Jesus Christ, you're a walking billboard for how fucking retarded squats are!

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
Jesus Christ, you're a walking billboard for how fucking retarded squats are!

Was.

I honestly still want to squat years after buying my last MD. I lunge til I can't walk then do some leg extensions.

I was young when I did those things, can't teach experience to a young buck.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
hack squats seem promising if you dont go crazy on the weights (that seems to be a patella tear off king of exercises)

hack squats for 20 reps?

oni

• Getbig IV
hack squats seem promising if you dont go crazy on the weights (that seems to be a patella tear off king of exercises)

hack squats for 20 reps?

High bar squats, front squats, hack squat machine, leg press, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, laying hamstrings curls and glute ham raises are all great for thigh hypertrophy

Mike

• Getbig IV
High bar squats, front squats, hack squat machine, leg press, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, laying hamstrings curls and glute ham raises are all great for thigh hypertrophy

Agreed

Mr.Mojo

• Getbig II
Tom Platz did squats eight reps with 635 pounds and 52 reps with 350 pounds.
On numerous occasions, he squatted for 10 minutes straight for more than 100 reps with 225 pounds.

Tom Platz 500lb 227.5kg squat for 23 reps :

Dicki_Nurmom

• Getbig II
  • FILT RULES!

also

how many sets?

it's not about the weight... it's about the volume

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Nurmom is correct.

For classic BB'ing it's never about the weight, but how much blood is brought  into a muscle. Moderate weight (even light baby weights considered by some), higher reps  and more sets at a faster pace. All equal volume and the goal of increased muscle size. Basic idea being, that strength will increase as muscle size increases. ...strength will follow size.Though, in the real training world, not always true.

For power BB'ing, more weight, lower reps and fewer sets. With more rest between sets. The goal is developing strength and muscle mass. The basic theory being that more weight used in exercises, the larger muscle size is developed....muscle size will follow strength advances.  Though again, in the real training world, not always true.

Got to explore what works best for you...usually some where in the middle. 20 reps will do for you what 5 reps won't and 5 reps will do for you what 20 reps won't. Take your pick, it's your body to experiment on.

Higher reps, for the most part, seem to give better results to the larger muscle structures, like legs and back. Speaking of squats and DL's here. BB Hack squats also fit in well here, thinking of it as a form of a reverse DL and hitting the legs better.

In this regard, 20 rep(or above) breathing squats are one of the better and faster ways to develop muscle size and strength in training. Higher reps breathing squats are a form of the rest/pause system of training. Just a personal opinion..but a true mass builder for a lot of guys over the years  (me included).

Good Luck.

F

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace

hack squats for 20 reps?

50kg per side for a continuous 20.....

The best way to do these for me was on a hrizontal hack, the ones with the stack set at the side.... slight pause at total rock bottom, pure torture... we used to try and at least get 25 with the stack,  I think I managed 33 a few weeks in a row

Wish I stuck to high rep lighter weights, heavy squats ruined my knees and hips

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
50kg per side for a continuous 20.....

The best way to do these for me was on a hrizontal hack, the ones with the stack set at the side.... slight pause at total rock bottom, pure torture... we used to try and at least get 25 with the stack,  I think I managed 33 a few weeks in a row

Wish I stuck to high rep lighter weights, heavy squats ruined my knees and hips
this is one of those taboos that are not allowed to be spoken about  :D

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
Re: for all you "20-30 rep squats" people, how much weight do you actually use?
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 09:42:16 AM »
this is one of those taboos that are not allowed to be spoken about  :D

I had no need to go over 3 plates, should have just got  more reps and improved form......

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2014, 06:13:02 PM »
I had no need to go over 3 plates, should have just got  more reps and improved form......

wise words

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2014, 06:59:23 PM »
The better question instead of how much weight do you use for 20-30 rep squats is how deep do you go?   Guys that use 315lbs for shallow squats will have trouble using 135lbs for 30 deep squats.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 04:52:59 AM »
when i do hack squats first and regular squats second

i can only use 80kg for deep really controled squats about 8-10 reps

i think this is better for the skeleton long term

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2014, 05:09:30 AM »
The better question instead of how much weight do you use for 20-30 rep squats is how deep do you go?   Guys that use 315lbs for shallow squats will have trouble using 135lbs for 30 deep squats.
good point and Depth of squats brings in a new slant to it. I also like Barbell Hack squats old school. have no choice because we have no Hack machine in the Gym !  ??? i like high reps on front squats too.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 09:20:05 AM »
We have given some friendly challenges to a few PL'ers over the years. Guy's in the 500-600lbs plus squat range.

Betting they couldn't get 50 reps out of regular bwt squats (Hindu style). That's going rock bottom, on the toes at the bottom and fingers touching the floor each rep. Some couldn't touch the floor with the fingers in the bottom position, because a bit too much bulk (fat assed actually...I'm being kind), so that was not stressed. Just looking for a normal pace...not fast.

25 seemed to be the cutoff number for most of these guy's. Not that they all were not exceptional powerful men (which they were), just that with training mostly around the sets of 2's -3's range. Today most PL'ers will included higher rep work to their advantage, understanding to may take a wide variety of methods when into training with serious intent. Some will even include running and other forms of stamina (strength + endurance) workouts.

Sets of 300 to 500 reps of Hindu squats (actually this type bwt squats has been used around the world for years....Hindu just seems the most common label) can be somewhat common for the trained man. Just something that has to be built up to. And all to rock bottom.

Some BB'ers like to change the pace in workouts and add higher rep work, most notably in leg and back movements. Something along the periodization style of protocol. Seems to work well for a lot of people.

Good Luck
F