Author Topic: Knee Pain!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 4163 times)

jixxxer

• Getbig II
Knee Pain!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: May 19, 2014, 08:09:38 AM »
Ok, so Im 40 yrs old. in the gym 5-6 days a week, currently on 500mg test/week. The last few weeks my knees are killing me, right at the top of knee, I can barely squat or do any leg excersices, any one else dealing wiht this????

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Knee Pain!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 09:24:14 AM »
Both knees? What type of exercises do you do?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

jixxxer

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 03:06:05 PM »
yes both knees.......squats; leg press, lunges; leg extensions. Dont know y but this just started about 2 months ago and dont seem to be going away!

Dicki_Nurmom

• Getbig II
  • FILT RULES!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 05:13:31 AM »
are you heavy?
•

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 05:37:09 AM »
yes both knees.......squats; leg press, lunges; leg extensions. Dont know y but this just started about 2 months ago and dont seem to be going away!

I'd back off the leg extentions for awhile and the lunges.

do you do heavy weight leg ext? I recomend you never do heavy leg ext.

also, apply icy/hot or tiger balm to your knees before starting your workout.
sept 10th APF

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 09:28:29 AM »
As far as you double knee pains, could be the results of a lot of things. Might be lightly inflamed /strained, allowing undo stress.

You using new shoes, trying a different foot spacing when squatting, or jogging on ruff or uneven surfaces?

Leg extensions are used in many rehab centers, with a  somewhat limited ROM.

But when locking out, and even holding that position for a few seconds can have negative affects of the joints/ligament/muscles of the knee structure. Usually happens with a heavier weight that most guy's aren't ready to handle yet. Leg extensions are not a power lift. Just a personal view, but would never suggest doing heavier leg extensions...for lifters or BB'ers.

Always a good idea to keep the knee area warm, to encourage a ample blood supply to the area, which the knee (by nature) does not always get. Heating lotions/pads/patches all good. Wearing sweats, knee warmers, etc also suggested. Taking a few weeks off from any direct leg movements may be something to consider. Rest always seems to heal a aching body part quite well.

Good Luck.

F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 11:24:26 AM »
I'd back off the leg extentions for awhile and the lunges.

do you do heavy weight leg ext? I recomend you never do heavy leg ext.

also, apply icy/hot or tiger balm to your knees before starting your workout.
I agree with nash.. leg press most People can do with some knee pain. stop the extensions, lunges as nash wrote. leave squats at the Moment too. After a cartillage op i did..

Leg press 3-5 x 15 reps
leg curls   3-5 x 15 reps
calf raises 3-5 x 15 reps

i did this as a tri set. I always went on the stationary bike first for 10 mins first AND finished with 20-30 mins cycling.. helps warm up and really is a great quad exercise in itīs own (no not like squats or leg press) but it is better than nothing. Just make sure the bike seat is set at the correct height.

jixxxer

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 07:49:24 AM »
Thanks guys. its very aggravating; Its like all u hear is squat squat squat, and man do i need/want bigger quads; but hurts so much I can't do em. Yea I was doing heavy leg ext. guess i"ll leave that alone. 215# relatively lean; Guess I'll stick with leg press for a while and see how it goes.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 08:12:05 AM »
First thing to do with knee pain...

Keep you hamstrings well stretched - you know, actual stretching 3-4 times a day. Same for the calves.

But under no circumstances should you stretch the quads. Also - ease off direct hamstring & calf exercises.

Try that for a week.

It might not help but it stands a decent chance - a lot of knee pain is caused by hams/calves being too tight. My doc reckons your quads can't get too tight and stretching them at all is pointless.

Pumpzilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 02:34:00 PM »
I was in the same boat with the knee pain. Prednisone had fucked my shit all up. Got so bad I even managed to tear the meniscus in my left knee. But what I feel helped me most is moving my rep range up to 20. Also, working calves twice a week. Another thing is avoiding over-stretching at the knee. I keep a slight bend in my knees as I stretch. Worked wonders. Before I could barely jog a few laps before knee pain overtook me. Now I rarely have even the slightest ache.

bigboithetank

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 05:36:06 PM »
Tom Platz stretched Quads and had the best in the business.

First thing to do with knee pain...

Keep you hamstrings well stretched - you know, actual stretching 3-4 times a day. Same for the calves.

But under no circumstances should you stretch the quads. Also - ease off direct hamstring & calf exercises.

Try that for a week.

It might not help but it stands a decent chance - a lot of knee pain is caused by hams/calves being too tight. My doc reckons your quads can't get too tight and stretching them at all is pointless.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 08:05:46 PM »
For now do slow strict movements. Think how can I make this moderate weight heavy? Keep flexibility by doing full movements. If you have to lighten your squats by 100 plus pounds do it.  You will get better results doing deep controlled squats with 225 lbs. than using 405lbs for shallow squats. Instead of jamming up the leg pad in leg extensions use a smooth controlled somewhat slow reps. You will use less weight but remember to goal of making a moderate weight heavy by slow strict movements.

Before you do anything see a doctor. You might have some damage in your knees that has to get repaired.

I always thought my body was somewhat bullet proof. I went for more than 10 years never having lower back pain despite deadlifts and power cleans. I did press behind the neck all the way down to the traps every rep with heavy weight for many decades without any problems. Now in my mid 50's everything is giving me problems now. Achilles, elbow, shoulder, and sometimes knees.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 09:22:54 PM »
About a year ago I had orthoscopic surgery on my right knee because I had a torn meniscus. About a month after the surgery, I went to physical therapy for about 8 weeks. They had me doing leg presses and extensions, one leg at a time for a couple of sets of 10 and then both legs together for a couple more sets of 10, obviously using more weight on the two legged exercises. Warm ups started with walking on the treadmill for 10 minutes and later using a stationary bike for the warm up. Towards the end of the time I was in therapy, I started doing squats while balancing on a half Swiss ball using bodyweight only and going deep. today my knee is good most of the time.