Author Topic: Hamstrings  (Read 3339 times)

Crossbones

• Getbig II
Hamstrings
« on: May 23, 2014, 10:57:07 AM »

Good exercises to build up hamstrings. Used to love stiff leg deadz but with back issues i dont want to stress out the lower back if i can avoid it.

Built a squat butt  doing heavy squats back in the day. so need to overbuild hams to level it out.

What is best - leg curls, lunges?

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: Hamstrings
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 10:11:05 AM »
I think you want to balance the hams with the legs, if I'm not mistaken, keeping up with the much more powerful legs...not over build one or the other.

Best results seem to be a combo of stretching and actual direct leg curls. Can't do one without the other if wanting to reach full potential of leg strength. Working each leg , one at a time, seems also to get the best results.

Might suggest, as a ham warm-up, placing the toes on a 2X4/BB plate. Keeping the total back/spine straight, chest out and hands gripped behind the back. This is a bwt stretch only. Bend forward, knees lightly locked, as far as you can...and hold for a couple of seconds. than back up. Going to feel a different kind of stretch because of the toes on the 2X4. The calves will also feel it strongly. Try for 20 reps, or so. Actually, some athletes will do these throughout the day.

First exercise will be step-ups...on a bench, box or platform (adjustable types). Try for aheight of just below you knees. Some guy's do these with a BB on the shoulders, some holding a DB. I favor the DB's, but help yourself to which you like. Different influence on the hams/hips & legs from each version. Can't really say one version is better than the other one. Depends on body type. 8-10 reps

Second movements will be the one legged leg curl. Would suggest standing, as a first option, but again..your choice. 8-10 reps.

By far the best leg curl exercise would be from hands on resistance from a training partner, one leg at a time. A partner would hold one leg as you attempted to curl it up, allowing a slow contraction of the leg biceps. Can work this way with both positive and negative applied force to the hams  and in the same set.

Generally I would add Romanian Deadlifts for hams...but you have a back issue. RDL's are a great movement for hams, hip and lower back. Just to note, strong hams can add to your squatting power, which most guy's find out to their surprise.

Good Luck
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 10:55:09 AM »
Good exercises to build up hamstrings. Used to love stiff leg deadz but with back issues i dont want to stress out the lower back if i can avoid it.

Built a squat butt  doing heavy squats back in the day. so need to overbuild hams to level it out.

i always liked to superset  Lying leg curls with 45 Degree Hypers. do the leg curls first to directly hit them like pre-exhaust and then concentrate on your Hams on the extensions. you can even do partial reps on the Hyperextensions if your back is hurting.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 05:08:43 PM »

I usually train hammies first on leg day with two or three exercises. I favor lying hamstring curls as my first movement, but lately, I've been using glute-ham raises a lot. Walking lunges also seem to hit the glute/ham area for me, as well.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 11:07:20 PM »

unilateral leg curls and lying leg curls!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 01:21:24 AM »

I usually train hammies first on leg day with two or three exercises. I favor lying hamstring curls as my first movement, but lately, I've been using glute-ham raises a lot. Walking lunges also seem to hit the glute/ham area for me, as well.
i like that word "Hammies".. ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 06:15:50 PM »
i like that word "Hammies".. ;D

Thanks.
I do nothing, but I try hard!

Dicki_Nurmom

• Getbig II
  • FILT RULES!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 02:20:33 AM »

running hills is best

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 05:48:27 AM »
SEATED LEG CURLS/LYING LEG CURLS/LYING LEG CURLS WITH DUMBELL BETWEEN FEET AND ANKLE AND DONE WITH STRETCH AND THEN CURL UP MIDPOINT TOUGH TO PULL DBELL TO TOP LEGS GET SHIFTY AT THAT POINT.LUNGES OVERALL LEG BUT I DO THEM UP STAIRS HOLDING 45'S IN HAND AND I SKIP ON WAY UP EVERY OTHER STEP .

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 08:25:31 AM »
The Nautilus leg curl machine (any version), with the 3 phase cam action, will probably give the best results for most guy's. Used in rehab centers for many years now. Tension is never reduced for the full ROM.

As mentioned above, manual resistance from a training partner (both positive & negative) seem also to be on a par with the Nautilus leg curl machines. Also the tension can be kept throughout the full ROM. Usually one leg at a time.

While kneeling down, place the heels/ankles under a padded bar, strap, etc..or have a training partner hold the ankles firmly down, as you lower forward and raise the body back up again works great on the hams. This requires a proper warm-up before attempting, as any serious ham exercise does. Stretch before starting the first set...of course.  See quite a few men & women athletes doing these. Don't need any special equipment and can be done just about anywhere.

Good Luck.
F

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 09:05:56 AM »
The Nautilus leg curl machine (any version), with the 3 phase cam action, will probably give the best results for most guy's. Used in rehab centers for many years now. Tension is never reduced for the full ROM.

As mentioned above, manual resistance from a training partner (both positive & negative) seem also to be on a par with the Nautilus leg curl machines. Also the tension can be kept throughout the full ROM. Usually one leg at a time.

While kneeling down, place the heels/ankles under a padded bar, strap, etc..or have a training partner hold the ankles firmly down, as you lower forward and raise the body back up again works great on the hams. This requires a proper warm-up before attempting, as any serious ham exercise does. Stretch before starting the first set...of course.  See quite a few men & women athletes doing these. Don't need any special equipment and can be done just about anywhere.

Good Luck.
ITS A SHAME THAT OLD NAUTILUS EQUIPMENT IS GONE,THE LEG CURL/PULLOVER MACHINES IS SOME OF THE BEST STRETCH/PUMPS I EVER GOT.AND LEG CURL WITH THE PAD UNDER CALVES AND U SIT UP FACING BACK MACHINE ,FEET UNDER ROLLER AND STRETCH AND FLEX HITS FRONT TIBIALIS..