Author Topic: Stair master for cardio  (Read 2825 times)

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
Stair master for cardio
« on: January 24, 2006, 07:41:42 PM »
does anyone recommend this?

I have tried it for the last 2 days an it sure works up a sweat, and not as damagin as running.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Stair master for cardio
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 08:13:42 PM »
It's the most rigorous of the usual cardio machines, and excellent. Many avoid them because they're too hard; if you can do that for at least 20 minutes a day on a regular basis, it's great.

Running's no. 1 but this is easier on the joints.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 08:20:38 PM »
It's the most rigorous of the usual cardio machines, and excellent. Many avoid them because they're too hard; if you can do that for at least 20 minutes a day on a regular basis, it's great.

Yeah its for this reason i don't use them before leg day.  If you can find the stairclimber with the rolling staircase, that's the way to go.
:-)

JamieX4200

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 08:16:16 PM »
What do you guys think of the stationary bike?
grundle has no sack,

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 09:10:06 PM »
What do you guys think of the stationary bike?

think it's pretty lame but better than nothing.

JamieX4200

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 11:00:39 PM »
Yeah but I've been doing it for 20 min 3 days a week while I watch tv.
grundle has no sack,

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 02:54:44 AM »
Bike is a nice secondary exercise, not on it's own unless used intensively as in Spinning classes.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 09:05:20 AM »
Quickerblade; You are so correct, just about anything keeping the heart rate steady at a higher lever for a certain amount of time (40 minutes may be  too extreme for most) is the whole point. Most people reach a point of boredom very soon doing the same kind of cardio over & over again. That can go for weight training also. Most people think that cardio always involves some sort of running (track, treadmill, etc)  or other exercises involving leg work. True that rope jumping, Spinning, hill/grade running are very affectice to reach a higher goal. The Schwinn Air-Dyne also add's a push-pull action (arms, shoulders & back) along with heavy leg pumping, upping the benefits of fat burning. Those new designed rowing machines can give anyone a outstanding cardio workout. Even punching a heavy bag demands and can build great endurance. Anyone might try doing somethin different every time they want to do cardio, if nothing else but for the sake of variety in training. Good Luck.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 06:06:04 PM »
I really like the ArcTrainer machine, i don't know who makes it....maybe Precor?  I use it often; recently due to gym crowds i've had to resort to the rolling stairmaster...which i like, but my legs are so sore from leg day i can't keep my heart rate going very long!  A little frustrating, since its that cardio time of year...

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 06:25:28 PM »
Arc Trainer by Cybex is a very nice, expensive piece that is similar but slightly different than their competitor, Precor's ellipticals. Those who like ellipticals say it's easier on the joints.

The Stairmaster rolling stairmaster AKA stepmill, was the original stair machine & is the most rigorous of the standard cardio machines. A tough, effective workout that most find too hard to do on a regular basis. After that Stairmaster later came out with the steppers that are more commonly seen in gyms now. The only one that is comparable to a stepmill that comes to mind is the Versa Trainer.

All of these machines are excellent for cardio.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006, 06:30:03 PM »
Arc Trainer by Cybex is a very nice, expensive piece that is similar but slightly different than their competitor, Precor's ellipticals. Those who like ellipticals say it's easier on the joints.

Right, Cybex.....I should've known better than to guess Precor.  I like this machine because yes, it's easy on the joints, and it has a lot of great interval training programs through which i can easily get my heart rate up to 75-85% of my max for 20 minutes or so.