Author Topic: Do tall fellas have a weak bench?  (Read 5811 times)

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Do tall fellas have a weak bench?
« on: May 28, 2014, 03:23:49 PM »
I have never benched much big weight at all especially considering my strength on other things such as arms.

I'm tall 6'2 so I wonder if it is the longer arms that make the bench weaker or is it just genetics or lack of hard work?  I don't train for strength so I know my bench won't be huge but I feel it should be more than it is.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Do tall fellas have a weak bench?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 03:50:49 PM »
It's physics 101. The further you push a weight the more work you are doing. That's why all these power lifters are doing the most ridiculous arch and inflated their chest to cut the range of motion. I have seen tall lifters bench moving a weight over double the amount of inches over a fat short guy doing that powerlifter arch. Who is actually doing more work for their muscles given the the same barbell weight?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 04:21:01 PM »
Parallel bar dips ...weighted. much better. Don't worry about the v bar thing either. Wide is not always better in my opinion.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 08:53:49 AM »
As OldTimer1 said, basic physics.  Weight + energy + distance + time.  Include body type leverage; bone length, muscle inserts, joints, tendon/ligament. Were all fighting gravity, push-pulling a weight/object away from earth.

If benching 300-325lbs (about average from most experience lifters..if being honest) for 8 reps, the taller man may actually be a better bencher than a shorter man. Given the above example, a taller man may be working almost twice as hard as the shorter (and perhaps , better leveraged) man over a longer distance (height). All relative to the individual bencher, of course.

The stronger lifters  are the Olympic lifters (short or tall), as opposed to PL'ers. Just the fact that a weight is lifted, at a longer distance (from the ground to overhead...that distance & gravity thing again), than any power lift. Olympic lifters also are quicker at lifting overhead, another factor in  basic strength . Most PL'ers can DL 400lbs, no problem.  Not too many of these same men can clean that 400. Or snatch that same weight.

Not that Olympic lifters are better than PL'ers...just a different approach and use of controlled power and athletic abilities. Both are extremely powerful and hard working lifters in their sports. Using Olympic and Pl'ing movement, in a complete workout protocol may to a good advantage for a lot of men, including BB'ers..

Good Luck.

Good Luck.

F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 09:02:53 AM »
As OldTimer1 said, basic physics.  Weight + energy + distance + time.  Include body type leverage; bone length, muscle inserts, joints, tendon/ligament. Were all fighting gravity, push-pulling a weight/object away from earth.

If benching 300-325lbs (about average from most experience lifters..if being honest) for 8 reps, the taller man may actually be a better bencher than a shorter man. Given the above example, a taller man may be working almost twice as hard as the shorter (and perhaps , better leveraged) man over a longer distance (height). All relative to the individual bencher, of course.

The stronger lifters  are the Olympic lifters (short or tall), as opposed to PL'ers. Just the fact that a weight is lifted, at a longer distance (from the ground to overhead...that distance & gravity thing again), than any power lift. Olympic lifters also are quicker at lifting overhead, another factor in  basic strength . Most PL'ers can DL 400lbs, no problem.  Not too many of these same men can clean that 400. Or snatch that same weight.

Not that Olympic lifters are better than PL'ers...just a different approach and use of controlled power and athletic abilities. Both are extremely powerful and hard working lifters in their sports. Using Olympic and Pl'ing movement, in a complete workout protocol may to a good advantage for a lot of men, including BB'ers..

Good Luck.

Good Luck.

Most 800lbs deadlifters can't clean and jerk 400lbs. I would venture to say there isn't one Powerlifter on earth who could snatch 400lbs.  Power Lifting is mislabeled. It should be called strength lifting. Olympic lifting is where power is demonstrated.  Olympic lifting is an Olympic world wide event of elite athletes from all corners of the globe. Power lifting is a sub culture of a sport like bodybuilding.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 01:58:43 AM »
A lot of things come into play, not just height.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 08:36:15 AM »
Falco, so true.

The average height of American men is around 5'9 1/2, but so many different body types to really take the height as a main issue would be a mistake. Some shorter, thinner men can be naturally very strong. Some taller heavier men, surprisingly very weak.

The general conscience is that strength is the ability to move a heavy object over a distance. Power is the ability to more that same weighted object, over a distance, faster. Can also add quickness here, though quickness and being fast are a bit different.

As OldTimer1 suggest: Power Lifting may be considered a strength sport, with the slower movement of a weight not requiring extreme speed.. While Olympic lifting may be considered a power sport , with more speed needed. Quickness comes into play when the Olympic lifter must quickly get under the bar and catch it (as with cleans or snatches) as the height of the bar increases from the floor.

If anyone is into strongmen events, than the importance of doing both style of training  (PL'ing & OL'ing) becomes very clear, right away. For BB'ers, doing a few sets of squat cleans, may produce some surprising muscular gains in the quads and upper body...and quickly.

Good Luck.
F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 09:56:32 AM »
Speed is how fast Olympic lifters accelerate bar when lifting it. Power is one of the most important attributes of sport. When you sprint, punch, kick, tackle or hit a ball you do it with an explosion of speed. Power is a separate attribute yet some what related to strength.  You can have a 400lbs bench presser who punches like pillows and have a 135lbs guy who can't bench 225 who hits like a ton of bricks. The difference is the release of power.

Olympic lifters are using speed to accelerate the bar. They are essentially jumping with the weight. If you ever want to increase your sprinting speed you would be wise to include power cleans into your training.  There are no good Olympic lifters who don't have an impressive vertical leap and short sprinting speed. Also for guys who know nothing about Olympic lifters there are no weak but skillful Olympic lifters as I have seen suggested in previous posts on this site.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 07:31:48 AM »
we are moving away from the topic intended a bit i think . but kazmaier benched 300 kilos and he was 6 foot two inches tall. depends of many things . strenght of deltoids chest triceps . o lifting is not brute strentgh. flexibility and timing and speed are needed . olympic lifters dont make good benchers either .

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 01:07:52 AM »
we are moving away from the topic intended a bit i think . but kazmaier benched 300 kilos and he was 6 foot two inches tall. depends of many things . strenght of deltoids chest triceps . o lifting is not brute strentgh. flexibility and timing and speed are needed . olympic lifters dont make good benchers either .

Olympic lifters don't care about having max bp.... Are you suggesting a wold class athlete couldn't train to hit a big bp if he chose to?

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 10:11:39 AM »
well in some sports power snatch seems more useful . throwers for instance

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 02:29:49 PM »
I'm 6.2. Long arm. Bench really sucks, no matter what i tried. 300lbs feels nothing when i grab the bar but pushing it is another story.

deadlift is too easy.
asstropin