Author Topic: Anyone here worth over 10 million?  (Read 17036 times)

tjschoenborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: Anyone here worth over 10 million?
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2014, 05:37:44 AM »

tjschoenborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2014, 05:47:38 AM »
Listen guys I am def not the smartest guy out there. But it can be done. I got a career first, saved money and got dept free. My goal was to have my money making more while was at work everyday. I spread it out into different things, some tradional some not so much. But it takes time , but when it starts to compound it can pile up quick. Now I have started going to into safer investments to protect the bulk of it and have an investment advisor who handles that for me. But when u r young u can take on much greater risks. The problem is most people get stuck in the mind set of the only way u get ahead is working harder, the way u get ahead is working smarter. Keeping ur eyes open. While on vacation I saw what the Roatan banks were paying, I wired money there and now get a nice return. Good luck on ur search for the answers GIB

jephrius

• Getbig III
  • PayDay
« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2014, 07:17:45 AM »
I would suspect most members of Getbig are living at home or at best living week to week. If you want to be a millionaire the only surfire investment is real estate. You want to both flip houses and hold rental properties. REO's is going to be your best source of properties. A distant second to real estate is precious metals.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2014, 07:24:24 AM »
I would suspect most members of Getbig are living at home or at best living week to week. If you want to be a millionaire the only surfire investment is real estate. You want to both flip houses and hold rental properties. REO's is going to be your best source of properties. A distant second to real estate is precious metals.

Everyone lives at home.  That's the name of the place where you live.

jephrius

• Getbig III
  • PayDay
« Reply #129 on: June 08, 2014, 07:27:29 AM »
Everyone lives at home.  That's the name of the place where you live.
You've got too much time on your hands.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #130 on: June 08, 2014, 07:30:20 AM »
One of the many downsides of wealth, my impoverished friend.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2014, 10:17:44 AM »
every single member of getbig is worth at least ten million.

combined!!!!!

;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: June 08, 2014, 11:20:02 AM »

Some financial experts suggest that Real Estate is not the best investment. It has been for me. My parents were flipping houses back in the 1950's and 60's and while they often did well with this, there were some failures too.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #133 on: June 09, 2014, 12:06:45 AM »

combined!!!!!

;D
combined?

that is only 250 dollars each, you know 40 000 members lol   :D

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #134 on: June 09, 2014, 12:09:04 AM »
combined?

that is only 250 dollars each, you know 40 000 members lol   :D

about right honestly.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #135 on: June 09, 2014, 06:46:18 AM »

combined!!!!!

;D

Well played  ;D
A

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #136 on: June 09, 2014, 03:01:02 PM »

No such thing as a surefire investment. Even some very smart people like Richard Kinder have gone broke playing the real estate game. He eventually got into pipelines and is now worth about $9 billion. Anyone who tells you an investment is "surefire" is lying to you - either because they're a crook, an egomaniac, or don't know what they're talking about - take your pick.
A

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2014, 03:03:28 PM »
No such thing as a surefire investment. Even some very smart people like Richard Kinder have gone broke playing the real estate game. He eventually got into pipelines and is now worth about $9 billion. Anyone who tells you an investment is "surefire" is lying to you - either because they're a crook, an egomaniac, or don't know what they're talking about - take your pick.

I heard a financial analyst say that, in these times, if you are looking for more than 5% interest return on your savings, you will have to accept a degree of risk.

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #138 on: June 09, 2014, 03:18:31 PM »
I heard a financial analyst say that, in these times, if you are looking for more than 5% interest return on your savings, you will have to accept a degree of risk.

Right now the average retail savings account in the US pays less than 0.1%. The only way to literally have no month to month or year to year fluctuation is to be in deposit accounts - savings, checking, CDs. I can remember getting 5.25% in a variable rate savings account some 7-8 years ago when interest rates were quite high. There is basically "no risk" with deposit accounts, as long as the amount you have in them is under the FDIC coverage limit, and as long as the FDIC remains solvent.

Stocks, mutual funds, ETFs, etc will always fluctuate in value, and you'll at least sometimes be on the wrong end of that fluctuation - no matter how smart you are, how much research you do or hire others to do, and no matter how often you "trade", buy, sell, short, use options, etc.

Even if you buy the highest rated bonds that guarantee a return on principal at maturity you'll see a bit of fluctuation. This is especially true of longer term bonds and US treasuries in an environment when interest rates are changing or expected to change.

Things like the relatively expensive annuities will "guarantee" a certain return as long as you keep your money in it - even the better variable annuities have this feature. But once you pull your money out, you're left with whatever your actual account value is in most cases. And if you have one of those special annuities that will actually guarantee a return of principal at some point even if you've spent almost all the money, you'll be paying out the ass for it while you're in it. Insurance companies are usually pretty good at figuring those things out so that they still make money on them.
A

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #139 on: June 10, 2014, 02:37:46 AM »
Right now the average retail savings account in the US pays less than 0.1%. The only way to literally have no month to month or year to year fluctuation is to be in deposit accounts - savings, checking, CDs. I can remember getting 5.25% in a variable rate savings account some 7-8 years ago when interest rates were quite high. There is basically "no risk" with deposit accounts, as long as the amount you have in them is under the FDIC coverage limit, and as long as the FDIC remains solvent.

Stocks, mutual funds, ETFs, etc will always fluctuate in value, and you'll at least sometimes be on the wrong end of that fluctuation - no matter how smart you are, how much research you do or hire others to do, and no matter how often you "trade", buy, sell, short, use options, etc.

Even if you buy the highest rated bonds that guarantee a return on principal at maturity you'll see a bit of fluctuation. This is especially true of longer term bonds and US treasuries in an environment when interest rates are changing or expected to change.

Things like the relatively expensive annuities will "guarantee" a certain return as long as you keep your money in it - even the better variable annuities have this feature. But once you pull your money out, you're left with whatever your actual account value is in most cases. And if you have one of those special annuities that will actually guarantee a return of principal at some point even if you've spent almost all the money, you'll be paying out the ass for it while you're in it. Insurance companies are usually pretty good at figuring those things out so that they still make money on them.

Good post, but if you have different bonds and keep them say 5 years, then you should be able to beat the 0.1% deposit interest rate.

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2014, 04:50:53 PM »
Good post, but if you have different bonds and keep them say 5 years, then you should be able to beat the 0.1% deposit interest rate.

Oh yeah, bonds generally do far better than deposit accounts - at least nowadays.

The catch with bonds is that there is always at least a little risk of default, and the higher the interest they pay, generally the higher the default risk. Solid first world govt, corporate, and muni bonds paying say 5-6% or less generally have a lower risk of default than the "high yield" / junk bonds of less stable corporations, municipalities, and emerging nations. An 8-9% coupon issued in recent years is likely to be attached to a pretty damn risky borrower, and a 12% coupon is a huge gamble.

Another catch is that the better paying bonds will be more expensive in the secondary market than the lower paying bonds of similar maturities and credit quality. Bonds paying 2% will be cheaper than bonds paying 5% if all else is more or less equal.

One way to possibly use bonds as a pretty good investment is to find them trading at a big discount pretty close to their maturity. You are most likely to see this with longterm bonds paying low rates during a time when interest rates are rising. If you find a bond of half decent  credit quality trading at half its value 5 years out from its maturity, you can double your money in 5 years when the issuer pays you the par value, effectively generating a 15% a year return on investment, plus whatever interest they paid. The trick is to find such a bond and not have them default.

Re annuities, most of them are designed for you wait until you're 59.5 years of age to start drawing money off them because of IRS regs that charge you heavy penalties for withdrawals before then with most of them. And you have to wait until death for the "return of principal regardless of amount above $1 left in the account" feature some offer.  ;D
A

Dago_Joe

• Getbig III
  • Better to look good than to feel good: ALWAYS
« Reply #141 on: June 15, 2014, 08:30:16 PM »
I'm a trillionaire in Zimbabwe.