Author Topic: Would you pay for a guaranteed healthy baby?  (Read 3967 times)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Re: Would you pay for a guaranteed healthy baby?
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2014, 10:57:38 AM »
It's been done. Gattaca.

Shizzo's Gaytacca: The Chrohomosomal Chronicles

For the uninitiated:

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2014, 10:59:47 AM »
Will do. 

When you asked the question what did you find?
My belief is that a virtuous man is an equal. Who are humans to decide on which religion is the best?

There have been countless religions on this earth. All of which are equally as important as the people who follow it. Belief is a blessing and a curse.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2014, 11:07:57 AM »
My belief is that a virtuous man is an equal. Who are humans to decide on which religion is the best?

There have been countless religions on this earth. All of which are equally as important as the people who follow it. Belief is a blessing and a curse.

So you're saying that regardless of a particular brand of faith, a virtuous man in one religion is equal to a virtuous man in another religion?  A virtuous Christian is equal to a virtuous Muslim or a virtuous Hindu......that the religion prescribed to is unimportant and potentially more harmful than helpful?

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2014, 11:11:38 AM »
So you're saying that regardless of a particular brand of faith, a virtuous man in one religion is equal to a virtuous man in another religion?  A virtuous Christian is equal to a virtuous Muslim or a virtuous Hindu......that the religion prescribed to is unimportant and potentially more harmful than helpful?

The religion (for a religious man) means everything. MOS, are you implying that christianity should rule over all?  Is christianity the only way to salvation?

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2014, 11:15:12 AM »
Can we get back to ascribing a dollar value to a newborn's health, please?  The hospitals and insurers are expecting our answer soon.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2014, 11:16:13 AM »
Can we get back to ascribing a dollar value to a newborn's health, please?  The hospitals and insurers are expecting our answer soon.
This thread is anything you want it to be.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2014, 11:16:32 AM »
The religion (for a religious man) means everything. MOS, are you implying that christianity should rule over all?  Is christianity the only way to salvation?

I agree that a religious man's religion is everything to that man.

Should Christianity rule over all?  No, people are free to make their own choices in life.  If they choose to become Christians I'll all for it.

Well, that takes me back a few posts.  First I need to understand what you mean by salvation?  What are folks saved from?

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2014, 11:19:18 AM »
I agree that a religious man's religion is everything to that man.

Should Christianity rule over all?  No, people are free to make their own choices in life.  If they choose to become Christians I'll all for it.

Well, that takes me back a few posts.  First I need to understand what you mean by salvation?
Let's consolidate it then. Do you believe that Christianity is the only path to take?

Knooger

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2014, 11:21:32 AM »
Let's consolidate it then. Do you believe that Christianity is the only path to take?

Fuck, you poverty stricken moron. Say, "Is Christianity the only way into Heaven?" Does a Muslim end up in Heaven, or just the Christians?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2014, 11:25:17 AM »

No, there are potentially an unlimited number of paths in life people can take.  A Christian path is just one of many. 

So I ask again respectfully, when you refer to the notion of salvation what do you mean?  What are folks saved from?

Knooger

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2014, 11:26:46 AM »
What are folks saved from?

If Shizzo was really killed in a drunk driving wreck we would be saved from his posts.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2014, 11:27:56 AM »
No religion is better than the next. All are fool's gold.

May a powerful being judge me upon death, I will ask him/it to judge me on how I lived.

I have a strange feeling that religion will play no part in the process.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2014, 11:32:47 AM »
No, there are potentially an unlimited number of paths in life people can take.  A Christian path is just one of many. 
So I ask again respectfully, when you refer to the notion of salvation what do you mean?  What are folks saved from?
I honestly don't believe that coming from you. Do you believe heaven/salvation awaits people of all beliefs?

Salvation means peace for me. I believe that I am a good human being. When I die, my peace will be knowing that I lived my life as a flawed species.

Heaven could be a never ending dream state for a dead person.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2014, 11:50:59 AM »
No religion is better than the next. All are fool's gold.

May a powerful being judge me upon death, I will ask him/it to judge me on how I lived.

I have a strange feeling that religion will play no part in the process.

Fair enough. 

So let's say the powerful being judges you according to how you lived.   What should the comparative be in that judgement?  Or, what is the standard your life is judged against?

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2014, 11:53:15 AM »
Fair enough. 

So let's say the powerful being judges you according to how you lived.   What should the comparative be in that judgement?  Or, what is the standard your life is judged against?
On a case by case basis. An all powerfull being would have access to every second of my life.

He would be disgusted to see how much of that time was used for masterbation.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2014, 12:03:25 PM »
I honestly don't believe that coming from you. Do you believe heaven/salvation awaits people of all beliefs?

Salvation means peace for me. I believe that I am a good human being. When I die, my peace will be knowing that I lived my life as a flawed species.

Heaven could be a never ending dream state for a dead person.

Well I was referring to paths to live out your life.  

If you're referring to paths to heaven I'd need to know what you mean by heaven?  If you're referring to the Christian heaven then yes there is only one path and that's Jesus Christ.

So, you define salvation as peace and that peace is knowing that you lived your life as a flawed species.   And heaven could be a neverending dream state, but in order to dream you'd need to be alive.  

Sorry, I'm trying to make the connection here.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2014, 12:10:28 PM »
On a case by case basis. An all powerfull being would have access to every second of my life.

He would be disgusted to see how much of that time was used for masterbation.

Ok, so the powerful being would judge case by case according to how that person lived, but that would be the method of judgement.  What standard would the powerful being use to judge your life against.  What is the criterion or example to judge your life against?

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2014, 12:17:57 PM »
Ok, so the powerful being would judge case by case according to how that person lived, but that would be the method of judgement.  What standard would the powerful being use to judge your life against.  What is the criterion or example to judge your life against?
My friend, you base your judgement on a book that has been doctored many times.

There are millions of people who have no idea of the concept of a Jesus Christ.

Are they all damned?  Where all of the cultures before the age of Jesus damned as well?

Seems like alot of people were/are going to be damned.

God can only exist if you believe. Having access is part of believing.

Billions of people had/have no idea about Jesus.  What about them?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2014, 12:21:56 PM »
My friend, you base your judgement on a book that has been doctored many times.

There are millions of people who have no idea of the concept of a Jesus Christ.

Are they all damned?  Where all of the cultures before the age of Jesus damned as well?

Seems like alot of people were/are going to be damned.

God can only exist if you believe. Having access is part of believing.

Billions of people had/have no idea about Jesus.  What about them?

Before we move onto other topics.....which I'm happy to discuss......I'm interested to finish our first topic about the criteria of judgement in the situation you outlined.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2014, 12:28:02 PM »
Before we move onto other topics.....which I'm happy to discuss......I'm interested to finish our first topic about the criteria of judgement in the situation you outline.
My point is this: If I die right now, I am confident that I lived a good life.

Whether it be Jesus, god, or some higher power.

Being a good human should come natural to most people.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2014, 12:38:59 PM »
My point is this: If I die right now, I am confident that I lived a good life.

Whether it be Jesus, god, or some higher power.

Being a good human should come natural to most people.

Well, I'm sure you do live a good, decent life.  

What if your neighbor feels that he/she is living a good life and yet the choices he/she makes are contrary to yours?

If a powerful being were going to judge you both shouldn't the standard of judgement be consistent for both?   We can have many folks with differing opinions of "living a good life" (and often times those opinions conflict), but to judge fairly the standard of judgement should be consistent.  What should that criteria be that each life is measured against?      

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2014, 12:43:29 PM »
Lets say there was a shot that could be injected into the wombs of newly pregnant women.

The shot would cost $30,000 and ensure that the baby would be born without any conditions or birth defects

Would you find a way to come up with the money, or would you go with nature's role of the dice?

A dumb question.  30k is a drop in the park against the medical costs of having a sick child.  Of course you'd get the shot.   ::)

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2014, 01:21:55 PM »
Lets say there was a shot that could be injected into the wombs of newly pregnant women.

The shot would cost $30,000 and ensure that the baby would be born without any conditions or birth defects

Would you find a way to come up with the money, or would you go with nature's role of the dice?

$30k isn't that much, especially for what you're talking about.  Shit, Invetro (sp?) is around $15k per round.  I'd pay it

There is already genetic testing that can be done in order to gauge whether a child could be born with a number of inherited diseases.

Many women go and have an amniocentesis around the 3-5 month mark of their pregnancy (with minor risk to the fetus) and have the amniotic fluid evaluated for many conditions the likes of Cystic Fibrosis, sickle cell, thalassemia, fragile x, taysachs and down syndrome.

The good thing about this is that the genetic testing is covered by most insurances. The actual cost for the testing is anywhere between a few hundred dollars to even up to $3-4,000.

While it's not a injection, it's certainly a shot in the right direction.

"1"

This is a bit different, as the child is already growing inside, and I know people, myself included, who would not care either way at that point, as I would not opt to terminate, nor would my wife, at that point.

Simple Simon

« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2014, 01:22:53 PM »
Why is this thread still going?  ???

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2014, 01:39:26 PM »
Lol!!!!  ;D It's more about a money vs. morals question. How much would you be willing to pay for a perfectly healthy newborn?

'How much would you be willing to pay?' is a different question than the one you originally proposed.

Prima facie, your original question is moronic: "If you could afford an extremely desirable item, would you purchase it?" Assuming that it isn't controversial to partially define extremely desirable items as items one would purchase if they were affordable, the question is vacuous.

One way to make your jumbled posts interesting (+ non-moronic, non-vacuous) is to place them in the context of a wider issue: is it "moral" to wrest control of our destinies from purely biological processes via the utilization of ever more advanced technologies? There are surely some who uphold what we might call a 'purity principle' whereby they reject some or all forms of tinkering with nature for the purposes of enhancement. But it seems to me a rather extreme stance to deny children the chance at an illness-free start to life and thereby increase the probability of their suffering just because it would require modifying the natural world a bit.