Author Topic: Cutting up  (Read 8193 times)

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
Cutting up
« on: January 25, 2006, 01:43:00 PM »
I'm a hardgainer (those of you who wanna say there's no such thing you know where you can go) and the last (only) time I dieted down i lost a ton of muscle. Any advice on not letting it happen again? I think my plan for next time will be to diet down but do no cardio. Just circuit train doing 2 or 3 muscles per workout without rest between. You know, legs, shoulders, legs, shoulders, etc. Any advice on this stuff?

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
Re: Cutting up
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 01:44:21 PM »
Post the diet you were on, and your stats, then we can help more.

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 02:23:54 PM »
i'll post it when i decide to start. when i did it last time i was 188 15% bf. i was lifting 4x a week and cardio 5 or 6x. my diet was 4 or 5 meals a day. about 1g protein per pound with a little bit less carbs and fat than protein. About 2200 or 2300 calories. i went down to like 173 but my bodyfat was 12% so i lost tons of muscle. now I'm 189 13-14% bf. I'll start my cutting when i'm 196.

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 08:35:33 PM »
im going to start cutting to and im worried about the same problem, im not sure what to even go for as a change in diet.... and how should the training routine change
big or bust

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 07:22:07 AM »
I meant your diet from the last time you cut and lost a lot of muscle.  I would guess your protein intake wasn't high enough, and you weren't eating enough times during the day (this is without knowing what you ate which is critical)....especially with all the cardio you were doing.  I did the same mistake.  Lost 30 pounds, but more muscle was lost than what I wanted.

So the next time I upped my protein intake (1.5-2g's), ate 7-8 times per day, same training schedule, cardio every morning 5-6 days per week and kept a lot of muscle.  It took me longer to cut, but I think thats the price you pay for wanting to keep the muscle.  It is a slower process.

Keep in mind your body is an adaptable machine.  So when you cut your calories down cosnistently, your body adapts and runs on what it gets.  So it is important that you inlude a cheat day every 3 days.  Your body doesn't know the future, but it remembers the past.  Keeping your metabolism guessing by changing your calories is critical in cutting up.  I read an article in which dorian had a 3 days cycle of different calories.....just to keep the body guessing.  You stay at 2200 calories every day, your cutting will plateau out, and if you body isn't getting enough nutrients, it will resort to muscle for extra energy.

Prime

• Getbig IV
  • The force is strong in this'un
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 08:03:06 AM »
I meant your diet from the last time you cut and lost a lot of muscle.  I would guess your protein intake wasn't high enough, and you weren't eating enough times during the day (this is without knowing what you ate which is critical)....especially with all the cardio you were doing.  I did the same mistake.  Lost 30 pounds, but more muscle was lost than what I wanted.

So the next time I upped my protein intake (1.5-2g's), ate 7-8 times per day, same training schedule, cardio every morning 5-6 days per week and kept a lot of muscle.  It took me longer to cut, but I think thats the price you pay for wanting to keep the muscle.  It is a slower process.

Keep in mind your body is an adaptable machine.  So when you cut your calories down cosnistently, your body adapts and runs on what it gets.  So it is important that you inlude a cheat day every 3 days.  Your body doesn't know the future, but it remembers the past.  Keeping your metabolism guessing by changing your calories is critical in cutting up.  I read an article in which dorian had a 3 days cycle of different calories.....just to keep the body guessing.  You stay at 2200 calories every day, your cutting will plateau out, and if you body isn't getting enough nutrients, it will resort to muscle for extra energy.
It's not just protein its also the speed you cut at.  The faster you cut the more muscle you risk loosing.
[img]http://ima

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 08:04:24 AM »
It took me longer to cut, but I think thats the price you pay for wanting to keep the muscle.  It is a slower process.

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 08:11:18 AM »
what i intend to do is cut calories by a little and just circuit train

Acerimmer1

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 04:24:05 PM »

I'm no expert here sorry, I have to work to build muscle but burning fat is something I do by accident, if at all. But  I know that drinking more water and getting more sleep are two ironclad suggestions.

Acerimmer1

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 04:25:30 PM »

I'm no expert here sorry, I have to work to build muscle but burning fat is something I do by accident, if at all. But  I know that drinking more water and getting more sleep are two ironclad suggestions. Oh yeah and move somewhere hot... like California!

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 09:35:35 AM »
Hows your cutting going?

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 12:27:16 PM »
I'm glad this was posted.  Though I'm not a hard-gainer I lost quite a bit of muscle last year and am doing my own diet this year and am contemplating what exactly to change.  One of the things I am getting this year and not last is supplements.  Out of everything I am taking I think I will rely most  heavily on the EFA's to keep me healthy and lean me out as well as protein shakes to get in a few extra meals. 

I cut at 2000 calories last year and only did 3-4 days of cardio 30-60 minutes and was mini by the time I stepped on stage.  Though my protein intake was high, I think I cut my carbs too much-I was at 50 G's for like 6 weeks and wasn't getting enough fat (at that point I thought fat was a bad thing).  It killed my mentally.   

I'm all for the minimal to no cardio but I think you should make sure your getting enough fat in your diet...so far I have been cutting nicely with no cardio and I think the added supplements have really made a difference.
Jennifer

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 12:48:00 PM »
1. As somebody here said, lose the fat slowly by starting your diet early.  Start your diet four to six months before the competition, losing between 0.5 to 2 pounds per week, but no more than that.  Cut your calories gradually and not drastically.
2. As everyone said, keep your protein high, 1.5 to 2 grams per pound of body weight.
3. Don't cut carbs too much or too fast. 
4. Keep fat low throughout your diet, but not too low.  Like somebody mentioned above, consume good fats, fish oil, flaxseed oil, etc.
5. Don't do too much cardio.
6. Eat something within thirty minutes of waking up.  The sooner the better.
7.  Eat  protein and fiber right before going to bed.
8. If you are a hard gainer, don't do cardio in the morning on an empty stomach.  That is a great way for you to lose muscle. 
9. Try Glutamine powder, 10g with your morning meal, 10g with your bedtime meal, 10g before training and 10g after training.
10.  Never forget to consume protein right after your workout.
11. Keep lifting heavy through your diet.  Don't switch to light weight and high reps in hopes that this will help you burn more calories.  That's what cardio and diet are for.  Lifting weights is for gaining and maintaining muscle mass.
Good luck!

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006, 12:56:11 PM »

8. If you are a hard gainer, don't do cardio in the morning on an empty stomach.  That is a great way for you to lose muscle. 

11. Keep lifting heavy through your diet.  Don't switch to light weight and high reps in hopes that this will help you burn more calories.  That's what cardio and diet are for.  Lifting weights is for gaining and maintaining muscle mass.
Good luck!

loco, #8 what if you aren't a hard gainer, what is your suggestion with when to do cardio/eat...
#11 even the week before the show...or are you talking up to the last couple weeks?
Jennifer

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006, 01:01:17 PM »

Not if you keep your heart rate low enough.....

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2006, 01:10:42 PM »
loco, #8 what if you aren't a hard gainer, what is your suggestion with when to do cardio/eat...
#11 even the week before the show...or are you talking up to the last couple weeks?
BEAST,
On #8, that is up to you if you are not a hard gainer.  Some people swear cardio in the morning on an empty stomach works for them.  I am not a hard gainer either, but I prefer to eat as soon as I wake up no matter what.  I then do cardio 30 mintues to an hour after eating, or in the evening that I'm not lifting.

On #11, you should keep lifting heavy through your entire diet.  However, Chris Aceto suggests doing lighter weight and more reps while carb depleting, that is if you decide to carb deplete/load the last week before the competition.  He says that while you are carb depleting, lighter weights with more reps will help further deplete the muscles.  This as well is up to you and it's not something that is required.  Not every competitive bodybuilder even does carb depleting/loading.

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2006, 01:23:06 PM »
Thanks for that, very interesting and nice to hear another point of view.  #8 is exactly what I wanted to hear...I hate morning cardio and I especially hate it on an empty stomach.  and #11-it's something to consider as last year I carb depleted and loaded 4 days up to the show and still went in feeling flat and not thinking I looked my best.  Thanks again.
Jennifer

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 01:26:06 PM »
Thanks for that, very interesting and nice to hear another point of view.  #8 is exactly what I wanted to hear...I hate morning cardio and I especially hate it on an empty stomach.  and #11-it's something to consider as last year I carb depleted and loaded 4 days up to the show and still went in feeling flat and not thinking I looked my best.  Thanks again.

No problem!  Good luck to you on your next competition!

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2006, 06:05:39 AM »

Wow, BEAST, you are HOT!  You look great!  I just visited your website.  Your screen name threw me off.  I thought you were this guy

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2006, 06:11:07 AM »

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2006, 06:22:38 PM »
Wow, BEAST, you are HOT!  You look great!  I just visited your website.  Your screen name threw me off.  I thought you were this guy

Nope, that's just what I look like in the weight room...on leg day:)  Thanks though, I appreciate it.
Oh, and FYI my website is still in the works which is why it looks so unfinished...my boyfriend is making it so I can't make time demands:)
Jennifer