Author Topic: No college  (Read 16865 times)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Re: No college
« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2014, 03:15:11 PM »
My grandparents were professionals. My paternal grandfather was a dental surgeon and later a dean of a highly regarded dental school. My maternal grandfather was an attorney. He graduated from Harvard law school and had license to practice law in pretty much every state. My father was a structural engineer who chose to work in other fields. My stepdad was a painting contractor who put on a paint uniform most days when he went to work. As for the women in my family, my maternal grandmother taught French (she was French). My paternal grandmother was a homemaker. My mom worked occasionally in a variety of jobs. After I was grown, she became a nurse.

I would say I come from both a blue and white collar background. As far as I can tell there isn't much difference between white and blue collar folks except those they self impose and sometimes their finances. I worked for a living all my adult life in a mixture of blue and white collar jobs. Money has never been hugely important to me.

My wife's family was all white collar. Her mom played bridge and told the maid what she wanted her to fix for dinner. Her father and his brothers were in minerals....namely oil, as were my wife's grandparents. Clearly, I married up.

No professionals in my family. As I said, my dad was in landscaping, mom worked for avon. My grandfather was boilermaker (welder) and my grandmother was a home maker. Dad died at 54, my mom retired about 15 years ago. Most of my family on my mom's side worked in the grocery business (my cousins still do). No wealth in my family. However my mom has no bills, house is payed off. They bought house in 1968 for $21,500 and it was just re-assessed at a little over $710,000, she lives off of her SS and pension (about $2400mo total) and has some stock. My aunt passed last year, my uncle (her husband) passed the year before leaving all assets to my sickly cousin (son) who has 15% working heart capacity. There are three immediate family members on my mom's side, me, my mom and my cousin. I'm the executor on my cousin estate worth a little over $1.2mil, this includes the house they have lived in for over 50 years. For obvious reasons, when they pass I inherit both estates.

My wifes family (close aunts and cousins) are crazy rich and seems anything they touch turns to gold. They own distributorships, develop properties and own department stores also involved in politics (head of the RNC), involved with the Bush transition team as well as lobbyists, attorneys, etc. Like you, I clearly married up and just the opposite of my side of the family.  

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2014, 03:21:25 PM »
I know now and have known several folks that have had much success without any education early in their careers.   I actually exist in an unusual circle of folks in which this is the case for many folks (I know more of the exceptions than the norm), but it's allowed me to see the "before and after" effects.   I see my current friends in their early 40s thriving....killing it actually....with no education.  They have big homes, nice cars, vacations, all the toys, etc.....   I see my aunts and uncles that did the same 25-30 years ago that are now broke and almost homeless because the industry they existed in shifted (or no longer exists) and their skills don't match up with current standards and they had no formal education to build off of or fall back on.  Basically their early success and experience became null and void and now they can't find good work.....anywhere.

Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones that never encounters this, but from what I've seen early career success with no education typically ends up with nothing to show for it as retirement age looms.  It's awesome now and you giggle at those "suckers" that went to school, but the suckers tend to be far more stable and consistent while the early success stories founded on zero education are no longer successful.  Believe me, I've seen the pattern from beginning to end repeatedly now although hopefully you'll escape the trend.....I actually like success stories.
I agree i own multiple trailer parks without formal education and am killing it , not a whole lot of shit you can do without education but you can always learn shit though
A

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #127 on: June 11, 2014, 03:30:11 PM »
I agree i own multiple trailer parks without formal education and am killing it , not a whole lot of shit you can do without education but you can always learn shit though

collecting dem lot fees, yip yip

the trainer

« Reply #128 on: June 11, 2014, 05:13:20 PM »
The secret to success is to find something that you are passionate about and the money will follow, I got very successful at personal training because its something I love to do, I dont even feel like I am working when I am training people.

BOW

• Getbig III
« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2014, 08:35:55 PM »
I went to college for a field I have no true passion in. I'm now running my own business, making my own rules and earning more while doing what I love. Don't think I'd be as successful without my skills and knowledge obtained from school though
what is your business in?

AlphaMaleDawg

• Getbig IV
« Reply #130 on: June 16, 2014, 06:20:10 AM »
College is about partying and making friends. Degrees don't mean shit unless you go to one of the top schools. I would know.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #131 on: July 02, 2014, 06:27:18 PM »
College is about partying and making friends. Degrees don't mean shit unless you go to one of the top schools. I would know.

What college did you go to?

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: September 07, 2014, 12:45:50 PM »
Abserantstant?

Tape is sneaky like that. Doc, too.

FermiDirac

• Getbig IV
  • That'll do pig, that'll do
« Reply #133 on: September 07, 2014, 12:53:50 PM »

Tell that to MD's or civil engineers, I am sure their degrees doesn't matter one bit.  ::)

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #134 on: September 07, 2014, 12:58:16 PM »
Good luck paying for college kiddies.   I guess it's worth it if you are going to be a doctor, lawyer or engineer.  Anything else?   Getting a college degree today just does not seem worth the cost.   There is $1.2 trillion dollars of outstanding tuition loan debt in the US today.  Most of which will not get paid back.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #135 on: September 07, 2014, 01:33:46 PM »
My son graduates from HS this year. The plan is to do one year at a Juco then a university transfer. Unless he comes up with somekind of a football scholarship, I'm going to be paying out the ass. But I'm not going into debt.

the trainer

« Reply #136 on: September 07, 2014, 01:40:39 PM »
My son graduates from HS this year. The plan is to do one year at a Juco then a university transfer. Unless he comes up with somekind of a football scholarship, I'm going to be paying out the ass. But I'm not going into debt.

Instead of wasting money on university buy him a pair of thong a roid stack and tell him to get in the gym and train, a bodybuilding future awaits.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #137 on: September 07, 2014, 02:10:36 PM »
Instead of wasting money on university buy him a pair of thong a roid stack and tell him to get in the gym and train, a bodybuilding future awaits.

He's in the gym more than you (obviously) but would NEVER want him to be a competitive bodybuilder.