Author Topic: Feminists up in arms over Miss Nevada Advocating self defense classes for women  (Read 5534 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
For some reason, feminists who hold beauty pageants in contempt were watching the Miss USA Pageant the other night when Miss Nevada Nia Sanchez, a 4th-degree black belt in taekwondo, responded to a question about sexual assaults on campus. She had the temerity to recommend that women learn to defend themselves, and the resulting outrage reveals just how badly modern feminism is serving today’s young women.

The 24-year-old Miss Sanchez was asked why a “horrific epidemic” of campus sexual assaults has been “swept under the rug for so long” and what colleges can do to combat it. The question seemed designed to steer her toward discussing the “rape culture” in which feminists believe we live, but Miss Sanchez didn’t take the bait. Instead, she replied that perhaps colleges themselves have suppressed this reputation-damaging information, and that one thing women can do is be prepared to fight back: “I learned from a young age that you need to be confident and be able to defend yourself, and that’s something that we should start to implement for a lot of women.”

This message of self-empowerment for women elicited a roar of approval from the audience, but didn’t sit well with feminists at home. They took to Twitter to express their horror and disappointment at what they considered, incredibly, to be “victim-shaming.” Here are some tweeted gems of self-delusion collected at Twitchy.com:

I’m sorry, but women shouldn’t need to take self defense classes to protect themselves from rape #MissUSA

Miss Nevada, who just reinforced victim-blaming rape culture to millions of viewers, is crowned #MissUSA 2014

Miss Nevada was asked about rape at colleges and answered that women need to learn to defend themselves… OR MEN COULD JUST NOT RAPE.

Not happy w/ Miss Nevada’s answer that to stop rape we should teach women to defend themselves…Why don’t we teach men to not rape?

Miss Nevada described how individuals need to protect themselves from rape, instead of teaching others not to rape. Stop the victim blaming.

Sick of hearing “women need to learn selfdefense from sexual violence” We need a culture we don’t have to defend ourselves from

Women shouldn’t need to learn to protect themselves against rape #missnevada educate and respect yourself as a woman #rapeculture

Really Miss Nevada? We should combat rape with self defense? Rape culture wins again

Hey Miss Nevada- how about instead of woman learning to protect themselves, men learn to not rape women?

Miss Nevada: How is it a woman’s responsibility to learn to protect herself from rape? #MissUSA2014 #getaburkatoo

Where is the logic in such inane comments? Miss Sanchez trained in taekwondo for 12 years but doesn’t respect herself as a woman? Acquiring a 4th degree black belt is equivalent to wearing a burqa? Refusing to be a victim is the same as blaming the victim? Men should just be taught not to rape? The sheer brainwashed density of Miss Sanchez’s young critics – mostly female – is alarming confirmation that modern feminism is not about empowering women but about ensuring their victim status and attacking men instead.

What is rape culture? It is the feminist theory that sexual assault becomes normalized when a culture condones the objectification and trivialization of women. You almost cannot read anything about today’s strained standoff between the sexes without encountering the accusation that America has a rape culture and that all men are literal or latent rapists who need to be deprogrammed out of their acculturated misogyny.

Americans don’t have a rape culture. We have a culture that considers rape a heinous violent crime. We have a culture so unforgiving of rape that even false accusations of it ruin men’s lives. We don’t “teach” men to rape, and in any case the vast majority of American males would never even consider such a depraved act, unlike what misandrists insist.

According to 2013 Bureau of Justice statistics, the estimated annual rate of female rape or sexual assault victimizations in this country declined 58% from 1995 to 2010. To cite this is certainly not to trivialize the terrible violation that is rape; nor is it to suggest that anything more than zero sexual assaults is acceptable. It is only to emphasize that not only are we not enmeshed in a rape culture, but things seem to be improving significantly.

However, there are violent deviants who will and do rape, and the world will never rid itself of that minority of evil men. That’s just the way the world is and always has been. For feminists to say that women shouldn’t have to live in a world where the threat of assault exists is like saying that we shouldn’t have to live in a world where murder and theft exist. The reality is that we do live in such a world, so you had better be prepared to do more than just soil yourself to ward off attackers, as some unhelpful feminists suggest. To believe that we can simply teach that rape is unconscionable – which we already do – and that the crime will then disappear is a childish and dangerous utopian fantasy.

I have two very young daughters. If the feminist solution to empowering them is to disempower them, to keep them unprepared to resist assault, and to suggest they be patient until utopia arrives rather than confront reality head-on, then I won’t be raising feminists. I’ll be raising strong, confident young women like Nia Sanchez with the dignity and skills to refuse to be victims.

Freedom Center pamphlets now available on Kindle: Click here.   

Subscribe to Frontpage’s TV show, The Glazov Gang, and LIKE it on Facebook.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Since most radical feminists and liberal cu ntrags look like thugs and beasts themselves they are rarely the target of sex offenses anyway. 

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I would have thought feminists would be in favor of self-reliance.

bears

• Getbig IV
I would have thought feminists would be in favor of self-reliance.

they want to take power away from men.  they are not interested in empowering themselves.  the modern feminist movement is about hurting men.  not helping women.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
In liberal ideology, letting yourself be victimized is 'morally superior' to defending yourself with force.

Purge_WTF

they want to take power away from men.  they are not interested in empowering themselves.  the modern feminist movement is about hurting men.  not helping women.

This. It's not about female equality anymore; it's about female supremacy.

You don't need to "teach men not to rape", because most men are decent human beings with the common sense that dictates that rape is wrong. How about we teach young women not to cry rape whenever they feel guilty about a one-night stand?

http://www.avoiceformen.com/mens-rights/false-rape-culture/flooded-by-false-rape-allegations/

RRKore

• Getbig IV
Feh!!  It's stoopid how many people just use this topic to recite their pet opinion about rape.

Fuck me, wasn't the contestant simply asked about what colleges should do about the apparently too frequently occurring phenomenon of rapes on campus as opposed to sweeping the crimes under the rug? 

Her answer of basically, "I don't know but I've personally tried to learn to defend myself" is OK, but it's easy to see why many women will be unhappy with that answer.

For the record, btw, I agree that the phenomenon of women screwing men (figuratively, haha) by falsely accusing them of rape is a problem these days.  I just don't know that it's something I'd bring up so quickly when asked about why colleges shouldn't just be covering up the occurrence of rapes on campus.

bears

• Getbig IV
Feh!!  It's stoopid how many people just use this topic to recite their pet opinion about rape.

Fuck me, wasn't the contestant simply asked about what colleges should do about the apparently too frequently occurring phenomenon of rapes on campus as opposed to sweeping the crimes under the rug? 

Her answer of basically, "I don't know but I've personally tried to learn to defend myself" is OK, but it's easy to see why many women will be unhappy with that answer.

For the record, btw, I agree that the phenomenon of women screwing men (figuratively, haha) by falsely accusing them of rape is a problem these days.  I just don't know that it's something I'd bring up so quickly when asked about why colleges shouldn't just be covering up the occurrence of rapes on campus.

although I agree with what you're saying i'm going to play devils advocate here and ask you what your answer would have been. 

bears

• Getbig IV
also someone please define "rape culture" for me.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
although I agree with what you're saying i'm going to play devils advocate here and ask you what your answer would have been. 

Not sure.  Maybe some tired shit about sunlight being the best disinfectant?

BTW, it occurs to me that predicting how feminists are likely to react to anything said by a beauty pageant contestant is pretty much like predicting how SC will react to anything said by Obama... 

(I guess I should point out that I'm talking about disapproval...and not gay slurs, lol.)

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
I do find that feminists in general seem to want to put all the responsibility to fix all of their woes on males, whiles simultaneously blaming us for all their problems.

Kind of ironic.

Women suggests females take responsibilty for their own defense, thereby empowering themselves? Horrible, why cant we teach men to just not rape?! Cause, you know, most parents are raising their children and teaching them that rape is acceptable.

Dumbass bitches.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND

BTW, it occurs to me that predicting how feminists are likely to react to anything said by a beauty pageant contestant is pretty much like predicting how SC will react to anything said by Obama... 

(I guess I should point out that I'm talking about disapproval...and not gay slurs, lol.)

Hardy Har Har. Good one sport.  ::)

RRKore

• Getbig IV
Hardy Har Har. Good one sport.  ::)

Whatever, ya twink/fag/bottom-boy.   lol

bears

• Getbig IV
and someone please define what the fuck "rape culture" is.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

There is nothing that Fagbama says or does that I have ever seen as warranting approval 

bears

• Getbig IV

basically there is no good answer.  the only answer that would even begin to appease the feminists would be something along the lines of that white men have cultivated a culture of rape and we need to make it easier for these men to be prosecuted, which means that the onus needs to be on the boy to prove that he didn't rape her as opposed to the other way around because of "victim blaming".  

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
There is nothing that Fagbama says or does that I have ever seen as warranting approval 

You have to make every thread you create about Obama don't you.... ;)
A

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

You have to make every thread you create about Obama don't you.... ;)

Was responding to the comment above referencing me. 

;)

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
and someone please define what the fuck "rape culture" is.

They cant.
liberals do not have actual data/facts to support their positions, only catch phrases, fuzzy numbers, and emotion.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
They cant.
liberals do not have actual data/facts to support their positions, only catch phrases, fuzzy numbers, and emotion.
It essentially means that men aren't instantly conviced of rape as soon as a woman feels taken advantage of. Oh, and that they should be able to walk around buck ass naked with "I take cock in the ass" tattoos showing without worrying about the scumbags of society possibly getting the wrong impression and "taking advantage of her" when she's drunk and slobbing on their knob.

What it really means, is that femininazis want to be able to do whatever the fuck they want, when they want, and take zero responsibilities for the consequences.

Walking 3/4 naked through a shitty area of town and talking loudly to every man that will listen about how you love swallowing cum? Sure, no problem. Get raped by shitbags that take what you say literally? Goddammit why can't men just not rape!

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
It essentially means that men aren't instantly conviced of rape as soon as a woman feels taken advantage of. Oh, and that they should be able to walk around buck ass naked with "I take cock in the ass" tattoos showing without worrying about the scumbags of society possibly getting the wrong impression and "taking advantage of her" when she's drunk and slobbing on their knob.

What it really means, is that femininazis want to be able to do whatever the fuck they want, when they want, and take zero responsibilities for the consequences.

Walking 3/4 naked through a shitty area of town and talking loudly to every man that will listen about how you love swallowing cum? Sure, no problem. Get raped by shitbags that take what you say literally? Goddammit why can't men just not rape!

Lol

RRKore

• Getbig IV
I doubt see how the numbers in this graphic can be exactly correct, but it's probably worth looking at anyway:

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
I doubt see how the numbers in this graphic can be exactly correct, but it's probably worth looking at anyway:

I highly doubt this is accurate.    First none of the terms are defined. What does falsely accused mean?  Does this mean someone who was convicted and later exonerated in someway?   Does this number include rapes that where reported to authorities who then refused to prosecute because of lack of evidence or other mitigating circumstances such as an unreliable claimant who has a history of false rape allegations?  

The entire graph is misleading because in order for it to have any weight you must presuppose that anyone accused of rape is guilty from the beginning.  For example,  for the difference in percentages of accused versus those who are found guilty to be a sign of injustice,  you must assume that every person accused of raped who went to trial and didn't face jail time got away with rape.  Maybe the evidence wasn't sufficient or they just plain didnt do it.

As for unreported, how do you prove the veracity of the persons claim?  What is the context in which these unreported and reported claims were made?
A

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)

Here's how the site attempts to explain it, displayed as it was taken:

The fear of getting falsely accused of rape just doesn’t compare to the fear of an actual rapist getting away with his or her crime.  Statistics from Justice Department, National Crime Victimization Survey: 2006-2010 and FBI reports. NOTE (2/6/13):  As so many people continue to visit this site and share this convo-graphic, we’ve updated this post to include the context from this post.

As a wife, mom, survivor, and regular person until Monday morning, I am overwhelmed and astounded by the reaction and response to the “Truth About False Accusation” infographic, and encouraged by the dialogue that has emerged as a result of it.  Thank you to each and every person who shared it, debated it, loved it, and hated it.

We accept and encourage debate on this and any future infographics released by The Enliven Project.  Given the massive amount of media coverage and online discussion about it, I wanted to provide some additional – and more well-thought out – context to the purpose of the graphic and The Enliven Project, as well as to address a bit of criticism about the data we used.

The purpose of this graphic is to compare (primarily men’s) fear of being falsely accused of being a rapist to the many challenges around reporting, prosecuting, and punishing rapists.

Two key figures drive that point home:

*A reporting rate of 10%
    *A false reporting rate of 2%

The other decision we made was to present data that fell within documented ranges, rather than reflect the findings of a particular report, because of the inherent challenge in collecting data on this issue.  Said another way: at the moment, an argument could be made that every source is flawed in some way.  The reason we pursued a composite approach instead of relying on one study was exactly to spark discussion about the underlying data and definitions, and – perhaps most importantly – the current challenges in data collection.

For example – here are a handful of challenges that we encountered while putting together the infographic and, as a result, some limitations of the infographic itself:

*The federal data provides arrest, conviction, and incarceration rates on forcible rape only, NOT other forms of sexual violence.
    *Until 2012, the federal definition of rape was limited to penetration of a vagina by a penis.  Therefore, 100% of rapists would have to be men.
    *The difference between a false report (how data is counted and being falsely accused (the fear at the individual level).  Lonesway, Archembault, and Lisak, the authors of the article from The National Center for the Prosecution of Violence Against Women, use the following definition: A false report is a report of a sexual assault that did not happen (i.e., it was not completed or attempted).”  The report goes on to discuss the challenges of defining whether the assault in fact didn’t happen or whether investigators or prosecutors decide that it did not happen based “simply on their own views of the victim, the suspect, and their credibility.” Individuals who are falsely accused of rape outside of the justice system would not be counted in this figure.

Despite these admitted flaws, here’s what’s not disputable:

*Rape and sexual violence continue to impact men, women, and children across the country and around the world.
    *Fewer than 100% of rapes are reported to the police because social, emotional, and legal barriers still exist.
    *Sexual violence has an enormous emotional and financial cost to our society, and many bystanders don’t even know they are being affected by it when in reality, they are.
    *Individuals, foundations, employers, and the government do not invest deeply enough in awareness, prevention, intervention and recovery.
    *Our justice system isn’t perfect.  Sometimes innocent people are charged.  And sometime guilty people go free.  That doesn’t mean that men and women aren’t being raped and sexually assaulted.  It means there are improvements that can be made all around.

Finally, there is something that this graphic does NOT represent.  And that is the impact of false accusation on an individual’s life.  The purpose of the graphic was to put the FEAR of false accusation in perspective, not to discount the very real impact that a false report or false accusation has on someone’s life.

We certainly plan future infographics and have learned from this overwhelming and humbling response that visualizing these issues can be quite powerful, and careful sourcing and stating assumptions up front is also important.  Our primary goal – and that of The Enliven Project as a whole – was to start a conversation that desperately needs to be had in our country.  We’ll let others decide whether or not we were successful on this front.  However, in the future, the kind of analysis and background information provided here and below will be made available at the time the infographic is released so that there are no misconceptions about our intent and message.

Breakdown of Graphic and Statistics

1,000 Rapists (technically 1,000 rapes as pointed out by Slate, a distinction we missed in an effort to bring some reality to the numbers.)

Of those 1,000 rapes, we applied a 10% reporting rate (100)

*Source: http://www.hmic.gov.uk/media/without-consent-20061231.pdf
    Page 8: “Estimates from research suggest that between 75 and 95 per cent of rape crimes are never reported to the police.”
    *Source:http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/index.cfm?ty=dcdetail&iid=245 (2011 Criminal Victimization Survey):  Reported to the police (US):  27% in 2011, 49% in 2010

Of those 100 reported rapes, we show 30 faced trial (this includes those that were jailed). This is 30%.  Faced trial, for the purpose of this graphic, uses composite data reflecting the terms prosecution, arrested, and faced trial.

*RAINN (http://www.rainn.org/get-information/statistics/reporting-rates) lists for 46 rapes, 9 get prosecuted. This is 19.5%.
    *Tjaden, P., & Thoennes, N. (2006). Extent, nature and consequences of rape victimization: Findings from the National Violence Against Women Survey. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Justice.  – 37% of reported rapes are prosecuted
    *Patterson, D., & Campbell, R. (2010). Why rape survivors participate in the criminal justice system. Journal of Community Psychology, 38(2), 191-205. – 14-18% of reported rapes lead to prosecution
    *http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2010/crime-in-the-u.s.-2010/clearances - 40% clearance rate in 2010 (arrested or cleared by exceptional means)

Of the 100 rapes brought to trial, 10 are jailed. This is 10%.  Or, of the 30 rapes prosecuted, 10 are jailed. This is 33.3%.

*When considered 10% of the 100 reported rapes: http://www.ncpa.org/pub/st229?pg=11Table A-4 in 1997, Probability of prison for rape is 9%.
    *When considered 10% of the 100 reported rapes: http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/fdluc06.pdf
    page 11 in 2006: 62% of felony rape defendants are convicted, 50% of a felony
    page 12 in 2006: most severe sentence of convicted offenders
    For rape: 80% incarcerated. Combining these, 0.62 * 0.8 = 0.496 (49.6%)
    *When considered as a portion of prosecuted rapes that are jailed: RAINN (http://www.rainn.org/get-information/statistics/reporting-rates) lists for 9 prosecuted rapes, 3 are jailed. This is 33.3%.

Of the 100 rapes reported, 2 are false accusations.  The 2% false accusation rate was applied only to the number of reported rapes.

*Source: http://www.ndaa.org/pdf/the_voice_vol_3_no_1_2009.pdf page 2: “when more methodologically rigorous research has been conducted, estimates for the percentage of false reports begin to converge around 2-8%.”

From "The Enliven Project"