Author Topic: PHYSIQUE - Success or Failure?  (Read 12279 times)

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
Re: PHYSIQUE - Success or Failure?
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2014, 07:08:53 AM »
It's def a success, based on the large lineups and the positive feedback it gets. It's not my cup of tea, esp their catwalk-like posing LOL, but let's not hate, everyone who trains/diets their ass off deserves huge respect  :)

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2014, 07:29:54 AM »
the shorts need to be swimtrunks but whats not to like?
not out of breath after 1\2 mile jog
one set of suit size year round
one neck

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2014, 08:24:27 AM »
Marc Anthony and Steve Cook are 2 US physique pros that come to mind in terms of being in every magazine with multiple sponsors.

The goals of competitors in this realm are different than a typical bodybuilder. Most want mainstream exposure through modeling campaigns and fitness endorsements. 2 guys with very successful careers and sick builds are my brothers Sergi Constance and Jaco De Bruyn

Me getting dwarfed

deltroids too big for his arms imo. especially tric...

all these guys has the "tren'ed" look imo. looks different than the iron age dbol bbers

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2014, 08:27:33 AM »
these guys are built just right'no homo'.props to our resident poster enzo .

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2014, 08:55:20 AM »
This.  Who cares if someone has a another 3" on his arm when he looks like 250 lbs of shit in a 200 lb bag.

Defining 99% of the guys in my gym....

sad to say, but they don't educate themselves. They just "hit and miss" and are waiting for something to happen.. and in the process age sets in and all goes to total dog shit ~

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2014, 08:56:58 AM »
Lets bring this thread back to reality, this is what a real bodybuilder looks like, and for those of you who say I dont want to look like that guess what, you cant cause you dont have the genes and the drug response.

Also true.
Physique is for all the Zyzz's of the world who need 300mg of tren a day to look great.

akers1021

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • "Big arms and delts dont make you a bodybuilder"
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2014, 12:42:52 PM »
As an NPC judge i can tell you Physique and Bikini are getting a little out of hand and nearly impossible to judge. I just judged a show this past weekend with 186 competitors and the Class A bikini had 14 girls in it. The Class B Mens Physique class had 13. I always have no problem with the Top 5 of course, however these 6-XX placings are getting ridiculous to score, it almost gets down to Suit color, Eyelashes, Hair, etc. I really believe even some of  the bigger local level shows may eventually turn into 2 day events doing prejuding fri nights and the show sat night....

Cableguy

• Getbig IV
  • Cableguy no longer...
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2014, 12:53:40 PM »
Wayne looking fantastic

That's the first thing I thought when I saw this shot...

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2014, 07:16:07 PM »
Curious as to what/how high the doses these guys run (the top competitors).

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2014, 08:42:33 PM »
It appears that most (if not all) agree that OPhysique events will be the trent of the future or are so already,

Such events will definitely not lead to the end of bodybuilding comps as we know them today. There will still be contenders who want to be better than Ronny, or Jay, or Wheeler, etc.

And the NPC officials will definitely not do anything to upset the status quo,

But it may eventually lead to the promotion of Physique events on its own simply in the efforrt to ‘accommodate’ all the Physique contents within a single day ....  or even two days if it gets more popular than it is at present.

In the old days we promoted some form of lifting contest followed by a bodybuilding event. But as bodybuilding competitions grew by the numbers, it was necessary to ‘break away’ and run the bodybuilding events as a solitary unit.

That could be a possibility if Physique keeps on growing in numbers.

AND ....  Some GetBioggers have mentioned ‘things’ that they don’t like seeing in Physique events.

I believe that some of those ‘things’ were instituted in an effort to make a clear distinction between bodybuilding and physique competitions,

But all on all, I think that the NPC and the IFBB made a very wise decision to institute Men’s and women’s physique events.

And it will continue to grow by leaps and 'pounds'.

NEXT UP : We’ve forgotten someone!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2014, 08:57:15 PM »
A fellow GetBigger, a past Texas State Bodybuilding Champion, and presently an IFBB Physique Pro.

Name him ......

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2014, 09:04:51 PM »
Leafy bug?

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2014, 10:17:29 PM »
In the old days we promoted some form of lifting contest followed by a bodybuilding event. But as bodybuilding competitions grew by the numbers, it was necessary to ‘break away’ and run the bodybuilding events as a solitary unit.

exactly.  Olympic style weightlifting was the main event, and bodybuilding was a side show. Many weightlifters hated having the bodybuilding part of their competition, but then bodybuilding became the thing that brought in the paying audience.  Finally bodybuilding spun off from weight lifting, and oh look local olympic style weightlifting disappeared.  

If local physique contests were to 'break away', there would simply be fewer and fewer bodybuilding contests.  Promoters are no longer willing to hold contests where there are 12 bodybuilding contestants and 24 people in the audience.  In someplace like soCal, there would be 8 or 9 physique contests and maybe 2 or 3 bodybuilding contests in a year.  But there is no need for it to break away, as fewer and fewer bodybuilding contestants are entering local contests.  Breaking away wouldn't make the physique events any shorter.

Already most amateur contests no longer have women's bodybuilding.  The number of women entering Figure seems to be down too.  They're all entering women's Physique.  (Which makes sense as women's physique is still bodybuilding, with flexing and posing.)

In the pro IFBB, there are already many contests that are Physique only, many are bikini only.  Women's pro bodybuilding is almost extinct.  There may always be freaky men's pro bodybuilding, but like with the women, there may be fewer and fewer events.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2014, 09:11:21 AM »
A fellow GetBigger, a past Texas State Bodybuilding Champion, and presently an IFBB Physique Pro.

Name him ......
KEV P

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2014, 09:29:27 AM »

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2014, 01:25:58 PM »
NJ, Right!  That's one time fellow GetBigger, Kevin Perod from the Lone Star State.

Damn good bodybuilder and a great IFBB Pro Physique Champion, but I have no idea  how he's been doing in pro competitions. In fact .... I have no idea how anyone is doing within the Physique, Pro renks.

Maybe ENZO can help us out here with an update on the following:

Tope Ten Male and Female IFBB Pro Physique Contenders.
Top IFBB Physique contests that offer the largest financial awards and how much.
Top Physique guys and gals who are representing supplement companies.
Top Physique spoke-persons.
Yada ... Yada ... Yada......

Below shots show Kev in top BB shape and the final is supposedly top Physique .

In Kevin's case ... I think he should continue to  train for BB comps .... Otherwise he could possibly be overlooked in that important initial Physique lineup.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2014, 01:36:35 PM »
IN regards tro AKER's 'tough to judge" comment .... I totally agree now that there are so many contenders in any initial lineup.

Back not too long ago ... the initial lineups would consist of 6 to 12 contestants and it was relatively easy  to pick out the  top six contestants in that line up and then to proceed to pick out the six less deserving contentants.

And then you'd simply have to 'adjust' those placings as the prejudging proceeded.

But nowadays you can have anywhere from 20 to 40+ contenders who come out in groups of maybe 10-20 while the remainder of that wt class remains backstge until it;s there turn to come on out ....

So judging a contest today is not like judging a contest a few years ago, so the complaints from fan, families, and the contestants themselves will continue to be rampent .... but even more so that it ever has been in the past.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2014, 01:41:46 PM »

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2014, 01:50:25 PM »
NJ, Right!  That's one time fellow GetBigger, Kevin Perod from the Lone Star State.

Damn good bodybuilder and a great IFBB Pro Physique Champion, but I have no idea  how he's been doing in pro competitions. In fact .... I have no idea how anyone is doing within the Physique, Pro renks.

Maybe ENZO can help us out here with an update on the following:

Tope Ten Male and Female IFBB Pro Physique Contenders.
Top IFBB Physique contests that offer the largest financial awards and how much.
Top Physique guys and gals who are representing supplement companies.
Top Physique spoke-persons.
Yada ... Yada ... Yada......

Below shots show Kev in top BB shape and the final is supposedly top Physique .

In Kevin's case ... I think he should continue to  train for BB comps .... Otherwise he could possibly be overlooked in that important initial Physique lineup.
DUDE HAS KILLER BUILD EITHER WAY...

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2014, 03:12:18 PM »
NJ, I'm a bit over 6' and Kevin is a bit over that.

I have to add a bit to what TIM has stated above concerning the promotion of an event in which Olympic Lifting and Bodybuilding contests were hald  at the same time.

The BIG PROBLEM back then was that in most cases the Bodybiuilding portion of the event would only start after the Olympic Lifting was completely finished and all the Olympic Lifting trophies were awarded.

In many cases that would mean that the bodybuilding event would start way after milnight.

I can recall one such event back in the 60’s when such an event was held at the Embassy Auditorium in the downtown area of Los Angeles. This contest was promoted by the Hoffman contingent (York Barbell) and the Olympic Lifting was a national event.

I sort of recall that there were less than 40 who managed to stay awake to watch the bodybuilding contest, most of whom managed to get some shut-eye on the auditorimn floor way before the Olympic Lifting was complete ad the trophies were presented.

I can also recall that the sun was coming up over the eastern horizon as we walked out of that venue.

This is the sort of ‘stuff’ that  broke the camel’s back (the AAU) and one of the principal reasons why the NPC came into existence..

I was a part of that ‘break-a-way’ and was present at the formal meetings that were held in order to make everything legal prior to the breakaway and   the founding of  the NPC .. and that’s one hell of an interesting story in itself which I believe I wrote about earlier.

Thanks for all this input , GetBiggers!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2014, 07:22:50 PM »
Not sure about this but .... something that may have encouraged the NPC and the IFBB to sanction Physique events may have been the success of Lou Zwick's non-sanctioned Muscle Mania Contests which are quite large and cover  events on an international basis.

And as mentioned earlier another possible motivator to sanction and promote Physique contests may have been due to the  general public's attitude towards "too much muscle" - as is so evident by many of these GetBig Board postings.

ANd it's also interesting to note that Physique comps were never instituted while  Mr. Weider was in command and that the IFBB Pro Cards were maintained at an absolute minimum.

Once again I have to say that it was a wise decision  by the present NPC administration to initiate Physique competitions regardless of what  some GetBiggers feel about the outcome.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2014, 07:24:36 PM »
these guys are built just right'no homo'.props to our resident poster enzo .

agreed. this is 'bodybuilding'.
b

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2014, 07:45:29 PM »
NO ONE, No intent to correct ya but it may be more accurate to say, "This is the way it should have been !"

But even I have a difficult time agreeing with that statement.

Bodybuilding by it's very definition should be a progressive event .... and none of us can deny that it's been other-wise.

But the 'otherwise' part seems to upset a host  of individuals who have nothing to do with building excessive muscle other than stating their objections because others have ....and in some cases ... They have not!

Regardless of what we personally claim ... there seems to be a lot of jealousy when it
comes to building muscle or getting in damn good shape like Kevin and Enzo and so many others.

Jealousy is a bitch but ,,,, it'll never go  away. The "Have-Nots" willl always bitch about those who have what they ain't got!

Just look around .... you'll see it everywhere and every day.

Thanks for  your input, No One,

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2014, 11:36:07 AM »
How many Physique guys and gals on this GetBig Board.

ENZO, which photo is yours?