Author Topic: Automotive gaskets - machined with extremely high tolerances?  (Read 2858 times)

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
Re: automotive gaskets
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2014, 04:05:18 PM »
How pretty it really is.

I sense a lot of wonder and amazement that nobody have thought of this yet and I am freely sharing my breakthrough for humanity instead of patent pending the damn thing for profit.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2014, 04:47:43 PM »
Allow me to present the future of combustion engines!

Look up wankel rotary brah.
Lots of rpm, not a lot of torque

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2014, 05:40:44 PM »
Marty Champion and I were doing some brainstorming last night with the boys. Anyway, we were wondering if engine gaskets would be necessary is the parts were perfectly machined with extremely high tolerances?

???
Lots of things. Heat cycling, porosity of the materials, differing types of materials... the list goes on and on. The automotive indusrry in the USA has made great strides in gasket technology in the last 20 years, the newer seals and gaskets seal 100x better than the old style stuff.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2014, 06:52:41 PM »
I think it's high time for a complete rethinking the combustion engine, from the ground up. We should come up with a new blueprint. There HAS to be simpler more efficient way to convert calories of gasoline to motion. Its downright foolish.
exactly i bet some open minded 5 year old with the right books could
A

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2014, 07:09:30 PM »
Ethanol does not run engines worth a damn.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2014, 07:11:16 PM »
Its very tricky to tune motors that run on alcohol, they require a completely different A/F mix and the actual quality of the alcohol varies greatly, there is no standard.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2014, 07:15:24 PM »
Its very tricky to tune motors that run on alcohol, they require a completely different A/F mix and the actual quality of the alcohol varies greatly, there is no standard.
Good point.

rotaryfan

• Getbig II
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2014, 07:37:57 PM »
How pretty it really is.

I sense a lot of wonder and amazement that nobody have thought of this yet and I am freely sharing my breakthrough for humanity instead of patent pending the damn thing for profit.

You're about 4 decades late on the idea, but good effort. Wankel rotary, look it up. Great for racing, horrible for engine longevity in economy cars because the seals have to redone frequently.

There have been a couple of attempts at making rotary valve systems on conventional piston engines too. Same issue. hard to seal.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2014, 07:50:23 PM »

You're about 4 decades late on the idea, but good effort. Wankel rotary, look it up. Great for racing, horrible for engine longevity in economy cars because the seals have to redone frequently.

There have been a couple of attempts at making rotary valve systems on conventional piston engines too. Same issue. hard to seal.

Youre about 10 posts top late brah

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2014, 08:06:17 PM »
lol The RX7 comes to mind

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2014, 08:11:35 PM »
Marty Champion and I were doing some brainstorming last night with the boys. Anyway, we were wondering if engine gaskets would be necessary is the parts were perfectly machined with extremely high tolerances?

???
Yes you need  them. Its like having a rubber when fucking some chick. Your chances not to fuck up your existents increase by a lot. Its just safer

rotaryfan

• Getbig II
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2014, 08:12:45 PM »
Youre about 10 posts top late brah

story of my life

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2014, 08:27:08 PM »

story of my life
;D

I wasnt going to point out that ramis rotating piston would still need seals to get the air in, exhaust out, and seal enough to utilize compression.

I ETA PI

• Getbig III
  • TAPPA KEGGA BREW!
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2014, 08:58:14 PM »
My neighbor's dog had a four inch clit

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2014, 10:29:36 PM »
omg omg omg

So, anyway, yeah, I think so.  Since metal, what with being all incompressible (ya) is unlikely to forgive even CNC deviations.  There's no such thing as perfect machining.  And there's going to be differential thermal movement, which calls for a springy joint that will not just be expansive in a gap but will get out of the way when pinched and then return when needed.  Then the issue of wear (where applicable) and servicability, bottom line being that nothing perfectly mated (in theory) will stay that way.  

I can't confirm it but it makes sense to me that jointing material is also designed to expand /contract with appropriate sponginess with the right oil.  I bet there's a whole dynamic going on there between oil viscosity and joint impregnibility, oil contamination & joint degredation, etc.

Never worked on an engine.  Did the gaskets on my lathe.

Good thread, you guys are genius.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2014, 10:30:50 PM »
Yes you need  them. Its like having a rubber when fucking some chick. Your chances not to fuck up your existents increase by a lot. Its just safer

lol

I put a piston ring and some royal purple around my cock when I'm going at it.  8)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2014, 10:31:25 PM »
I dunno bro.

Maybe JB Weld it or somethin.

haha... so true  :D

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2014, 12:05:10 AM »

???

You guys should think further. Where, in the automotive world, you find the most perfect machined parts, and the finest tolerances? Ferrari, Lamborghini etc. super sports, which are completely hand build cars. Why? Because of the perfect parts and high tolerances. Can you even imagine of the price of the engine, which is made so high tolerances, that it doesn't need any caskets? It can be done, it would work, but it would go to pieces very fast. Why? Because those high tolerances. Caskets are there to a. seal the pieces together and b. to keep construction stable with all those different temperatures.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2014, 12:31:21 AM »
Moving parts have to have clearance in order to run and not seize. These same moving parts need ways to regulate the flow of oil around them while maintaining the critical.clearances in order to run properly.

for instance, valve guides need about a thou and a half to 2 thou clearance (.0015-.002) between the itself and the moving valve. In order to not gall and seize, oil is needed to form a cushion between the 2 parts. Contrary to popular belief, a valve seal does NOT prevent oil from entering the combustion chamber.... it METERS oil into the valve guide to lubricate the parts. So a certain amlint of oil is allowed in the chamber... but too mich would cause severe combustion issues.

So you fan see that maintaining that tolerance on the moving parts and metwring rhe oil to the guide necessitates a seal.

Seals/gaskets are not just to 100% seal or make up for machine tolerances, theyre engineered into the mechanical system as almost a an integral part of the lubrication system. No motor would ever be able to be 100% seal and gasket free, not as long as were using the technology we do right now.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2014, 01:25:19 AM »
How pretty it really is.

You guys should think further. Where, in the automotive world, you find the most perfect machined parts, and the finest tolerances? Ferrari, Lamborghini etc. super sports, which are completely hand build cars. Why? Because of the perfect parts and high tolerances. Can you even imagine of the price of the engine, which is made so high tolerances, that it doesn't need any caskets? It can be done, it would work, but it would go to pieces very fast. Why? Because those high tolerances. Caskets are there to a. seal the pieces together and b. to keep construction stable with all those different temperatures.

Is anyone here surprised at the quality of posts and posters we get here at getbig on just about every conceivable topic? I mean, Mario Illien and Paul Morgan ain't got nothing on Ropo and Rami. Maybe you guys can start "POMI ENGINEERING" together?

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2014, 01:48:13 AM »
vehicles are going electric over the next few years so it's not really a concern anymore

sell your combustion vehicles and save up for electric.

bmw is going all out on this now. they even made the first factory to produce carbon fiber parts for the EV's

you americans are so behind the curve right now it's not even funny

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2014, 02:01:52 AM »
vehicles are going electric over the next few years so it's not really a concern anymore

sell your combustion vehicles and save up for electric.

bmw is going all out on this now. they even made the first factory to produce carbon fiber parts for the EV's

you americans are so behind the curve right now it's not even funny

Batteries are no good. Huge, inefficient, expensive and environmentally disastrous to manufacture takes a lot of energy.

Combustion of water and air (and some other cheap and readily available component) is probably the future.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2014, 02:31:12 AM »
Batteries are no good. Huge, inefficient, expensive and environmentally disastrous to manufacture takes a lot of energy.

Combustion of water and air (and some other cheap and readily available component) is probably the future.

Electric is great for a number of reasons, including a flat torque curve. We're still at the beginning and battery technology will only improve going forward.

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2014, 03:24:42 AM »

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2014, 03:51:46 AM »

Good information, I assume that North Korean children get taught this in the 1st grade of school. We dont get that here good schooling here.