Author Topic: I need advice from........  (Read 1840 times)

HumanHorrorFilm

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
I need advice from........
« on: January 26, 2006, 07:38:07 AM »
people on this board.  I have been trying to get back into the swing of lifting for months, i used to be much larger than i am now, but i went through an extremely dark period in my life in which i lost 55lbs and most of the muscle i worked so hard to obtain.  My body is slowly starting to recover from this, but the problem is, my arms shrunk horribly and no size has been coming back, my chest and my back are swelling, and my strength is coming back, but my arms are severly lagging behind, forearms, triceps, biceps.

I have read through topic after topic on here and since i have been training them religiously, thought maybe i would be betetr served to back off training them and try a more powerlifting approach to working out.  My friends father who is a high school football coach offered me this plan

i went from being 220 @ 13% bf to 165@17%bf back up to 189@20%bf

Monday

4 sets for each exercise

Power Clean - 6 Reps         
Bench Press - 6 Reps         
Deadlift - 6 Reps         
Db Shoulder Combo - 6 Reps         
Shrugs - 10 Reps         

Wed #2
4 sets for each exercise

Dumbbell Bench Press - 6 Reps         
Bent-over Rows - 6 Reps         
Shoulder Press (militar) - 6 Reps         
High Pulls - 6 Reps         
Tricep Dips - failure Reps         

Friday #3

4 sets for each exercise

Squat - 6 Reps         
Push Press - 6 Reps         
Bent-over Rows - 6 Reps         
High Pulls - 6 Reps         
Chin-ups - failure Reps

Would this be a good way to get myself back to the arms i had.  Also i wanted to add in CG bench Press and maybe Reverse Curls, but not sure on what days or where.

I will also be running 10-100 yard sprints in between
on tues and thursday and hiking through the woods every saturday with my girlfriend.

I am trying to add about 1-2 inches on my arms and drop about 7% BF by july.  I only seem to gain fat in my midsection and on my chest, although my chest is gentically large.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated and i hope that no one insults me, because i have a very hard time asking for help

Thank you for any comments

HumanHorrorFilm

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
Re: I need advice from........
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 12:46:27 PM »
anyone?

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 01:39:46 PM »
allright to me it sounds like you've done a lot of armtraining recently in order to as quick as possible get back your previous arm size? and if so then stepping back might be a good idea since more doesnt necessarily mean better, especially not if you do a lot of bicepswork for example since it's a small muscle.
if you got good arms before you might wanna pick up what youve done previously and go that road again... hopefully some muscle memory comes into play and make it quciker...

as for the program you posted, it's probably a typical thing for a coach, the problem with exercises like that is that theyre very demanding both physically and technically... a coach would be there to monitor and instruct from day 1 + the ones he instruct are allready athletes with good genetics and a high level of athleticism...

here's a execution checklist for power cleans alone just to give you an idea of what you're dealing with here....

# Bar loaded evenly, collars in place and secure
# Feet approximately shoulder width apart
# Feet flat on the floor
# Bar touching shins
# Arms locked, regular grip, thumbs around bar
# Back straight
# Head facing forward
# Thighs parallel to floor
# Shoulders over bar
# Athlete inhales and holds breath
# Easy pull off floor
# Bar comes up straight (not around knees)
# Knees move back
# Bar stays close to body
# Bar passes knees
# Knees move back under bar
# Bar touching top of thighs
# Back tight, arms straight
# Body extends fully, athlete up on toes
# Traps are shrugged to elevate bar
# Continued upward pull by pulling with arms
# Weight racked across top of shoulders
# Elbows point out and high
# Feet spread slightly to side
# Athlete stands up, under control
# Athlete exhales while lowering the bar to the start position
# Bar lowered under control to top of thighs
# Bar lowered to floor, athlete bends at knees and hips

Puh!

now if you know what you're doing and allready master these exercises then it's a different story... but otherwise you will spend A LOT of time working with light weights to get the technique right and it will be a long time before you will be able to put them into practice with enough weight effort etc to reap results
Z

HumanHorrorFilm

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 01:47:08 PM »
thing is, i was trying the same thing and it seems a sthought i overtrained my arms, then tended to shrink down, whereas my back is becoming to become larger and my quads to forming a sweep, i do have a gut on me, but eveyrthing is catching up, with the exception of my arms.  Power Cleans have come naturally to me and some of the guys at my gym have monitored my form, although im still using a little bit lower weight than i should for the first week, to get my form down.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 02:15:34 PM »
well i dont do any olympics lifts myself but from what i understand theyre among the most technically advanced out there and being big compound movements there's a high risk of injury and frying your central nervous system if you put too much stress on your body without enough rest. 6 reps is also very low and means you will be using some heavy weights.
what else, it looks like you might work your shoulders a bit much. as for arms some people swear that they'll get enough work as it is, other feel direct armwork is the way to go. i think you should at least try to get one specific biceps exercise in there somewhere, curl with either BB or DB. triceps allready got their own exercise as well as secondary work with all those presses.
as for the gut, it's hard to avoid if you wanna gain musclemass, but if it takes too big proportions you can keep it in check by increased cardio.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 02:16:29 PM »
and do stick around for a second, or third opinion from the rest of the bunch around here  ;)
Z

HumanHorrorFilm

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 06:03:06 PM »
i definitely like this plan, but i do want to add CG bench Press,  Reverse Curls/Behind back wrist curl superset and Skull Crushers somehwere in there, but not sure where.  I much prefer to get more bang for my buck in the gym and LOVE olympic lifts like deads and power cleans

HumanHorrorFilm

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 10:08:06 AM »
i was thinking about it and i modified it a little bit

4 sets for each exercise

Power Clean - 6 Reps         
Bench Press - 6 Reps         
Deadlift - 6 Reps         
Db Shoulder Combo - 6 Reps         
CG Bench Press- 10 reps, last until failure
Shrugs - 10 Reps

Wed #2
4 sets for each exercise

Dumbbell Bench Press - 6 Reps         
Bent-over Rows - 6 Reps         
Shoulder Press (militar) - 6 Reps         
High Pulls - 6 Reps         
Tricep Dips - failure Reps
BB Curls/Hammer Curls (switch each week)- 10 reps         

Friday #3

4 sets for each exercise

Squat - 6 Reps         
Push Press - 6 Reps         
Bent-over Rows - 6 Reps         
High Pulls - 6 Reps         
Chin-ups - failure Reps
Reverse Curl/Behind Back wrist curl superset-10-15 reps

Bluto, anythoughts on that kinda split, or should i try a more traditional 4 day split

HumanHorrorFilm

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 07:35:10 PM »
i have other ideas for 3 day splits, adding some exercises, Bluto, maybe you could PM me?

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 07:37:18 AM »
allright ill do that. the boards been down as you know
Z