Author Topic: how to build outer chest thickness and definition?  (Read 6759 times)

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
how to build outer chest thickness and definition?
« on: January 26, 2006, 09:59:12 AM »
Hi everyone! i was just wondering how does one build a very thick,meaty outer chest with definition? you know with a distinct how should i say line under the pecs? i'm guessing years and years of zillions of flye exercises and incline dumbbell presses?

is the chest and it's shape, thickness, size, definition genetic as well?

just wondering because i have a natural bb friend who is 35 and has been lifting for like almost 20 years and competes in natural state and regional competitions and he still doesnt' have that thickness,meatiness outer pecs with the defined line underneath them.

then i know of a guy at the gym whose 42, been lifting for almost as many years and is on light juice year round for years and he DOES have that outer pecs thickness and definition in fact from the side his pecs almost look like breasts! laugh! they jut out that far! but of course rockhard breasts.

anyway, so why does one have this and the other guy doesn't? is it genetics, the way you train, or the fact that one is natural and the other one juices? or is it a combination of all?

comments guys please, plus any routine that would help me build this kind of chest!

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: how to build outer chest thickness and definition?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 10:07:44 AM »
well i think it's genetic. i do presses and incline and i think that targets the whole chest area, it's hard for me to believe you can shape the chest by flyes or whatever.
but others may disagree.
Z

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 10:15:37 AM »
I think you've answered all your own questions-it's a combination.

I think you're talking about lower chest, even while mentioning outer chest-do all the usual chest exercises and hit all angles. The rest is genetics.

piscitella

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 02:58:55 PM »
try doing WIDE grip bench on a smith machine but bring the bar down to neck.  the key is WIDE grip.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 03:07:11 PM »
DBs are good if you go allllll the way down and get a really good stretch at the bottom of the movement.  The contraction is less important.  Wide grip works as well, so do flyes, all presuming you get a good stretch.

The quid pro quo to all of this, of course, is genetics.
:-)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 04:45:10 PM »
Stretching all the way to bottom's often puts severe strain on the shoulders. No need to go all the way down on dips, flys or presses if there's any hint of shoulder strain. In fact, sometimes it's more effective to avoid full motions

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 06:01:29 PM »
Stretching all the way to bottom's often puts severe strain on the shoulders. No need to go all the way down on dips, flys or presses if there's any hint of shoulder strain. In fact, sometimes it's more effective to avoid full motions

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree here.  This largely depends on biomechanics and the kinesiology of the individual, and can frequently be remedied with a controlled negative and good form. 

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 06:32:35 PM »
Avoidance of movements like dips and presses down to the bottom is mentioned in this month's Flex, is consistent with my own experiences.

Depends on the person of course, but something to be aware of.

Sometime's less than full motion's actually more effective.

kicker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 08:46:49 PM »
I also think its mainly a genetic thing.  I've switched up b/w barbells and dumbells, experimented with grip width, done flyes and cables at various angles...however my tendency is to put mass on the middle and inner pectorals.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 07:59:05 AM »
There is no outer chest...

you can only make a muscle bigger or smaller...the bigger it gets the wider it will "look"

wide grip does not mean wide pecs...

use whatever grip is comfortable and do full ROM unless you have shoulder problems.

you can change your grip a little from week to week but going too wide will only put you in a worse position for injury.

8)

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 08:03:03 AM »
There is no outer chest...

you can only make a muscle bigger or smaller...the bigger it gets the wider it will "look"

you're right, but by that principle there'd be no upper or lower quad, yet some people have significant development in their lower quad area- and, leg extensions would be more heralded. 

XS

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 04:53:13 PM »
Train harder.  Eat more.  Up the lbs....

Duhhhh...

XS

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 07:37:51 PM »
get a good full stretch in all your excersises...especially flyes.
bodybuildersreality.com

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 09:46:26 AM »
My outer chest is a lot better then my inner chest.   :-\
S

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2006, 01:26:55 PM »
i say it's some genetics and some how u trin.  i used to have a puny chest.  as i put on more size and weight. i just plain "filled out"  now, you can say i have pretty decent chest muscles. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2006, 09:54:37 AM »
There was some posts on range of motion.  The thought that full range of motion injures the joints is actually the opposite of the truth.  Most guys use so much partial range of motion exercises that their joints get tight and they lose their full range of motion.

If you can imagine a guy doing incline dumbbell presses using partial reps with a heavy weight.  One day while fatigued he might dip a little beyond his normal range and RIP.  If that trainer wasn't so use to showing off using heavy weights doing partial reps their joints would be more flexible.

You see it all the time.  Partial leg presses, squats, presses and other movements.  Make no mistake of judgement.  Partials allow the weak to handle impressive poundages.  It's a form of cheating.  This will cause a lost of flexiblity.  It will make your joints very injury prone.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2006, 10:27:38 AM »
The thought that full range of motion injures the joints is actually the opposite of the truth.
I guess the articles that suggest this are just nonsense. Oldcoot lives up to the name once again with more blanket statements. Thank god he's figured everything out for us. ::)

The theoretic basis for less than full ROMs agrees with my own experiences over the years. Without question, it has helped me reduce  injury potential. Also increases developmental upsides, for several reasons. This is my direct experience.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2006, 10:55:48 AM »
wide grip incline barbell bench. do that first in your routine
Valhalla awaits.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2006, 02:08:42 PM »
Pumpster, Oldcoot?  why do you debate with insults?  It shows your lack of character.  If you are under 30 I have been lifting more years than you have been alive. 
You're the guy in the gym using every plate on the leg press machine.  You put the back board upright and use about a 12 inch range of motion to impress the other dummies.  When you do chest you grab the 120lbs dumbbells to do inclines.  You then do half reps claiming there 3 quarter reps again to impress your ego.  When you squat you load up 4 or 5 plates on a side and you swear you break parallel as you do a little over quarter squats.  I haven't gotten it all figured out but I got your number kid.  I would love to work out with you and take you to school.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2006, 02:23:15 PM »
Ok grandpa. In your old age I don't think you understand how annoying your comments are. You have no idea of how I train.

In future, be smarter and stop insulting through your compunction to have the last word by brusquely challenging those you don't agree with.
If you're not yet senile, it's not to late to let your maturity catch up with your advanced age, by reducing your confrontationalist comments.

Stop trying to be the last word, as if you know better than anyone else, dumbass. Clearly your views are limited.