Author Topic: Do you fear death?  (Read 8062 times)

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
Re: Do you fear death?
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2014, 01:07:16 PM »
I do fear death.

I fear it, because I'm an atheist.

Who in their right mind, as an atheist, wouldn't fear being blinked into nothing? I don't fear the pain of death, or the onslaught of death. That comes for us all. Billions before me have died...I will die just as they have. There's really nothing to it. Dying with dignity might be a bit trickier, and I'll do my best to do so.

But I enjoy my life. I enjoy all the things it gives me. I have no intentions of giving any of them up so that I may die. I would like to have them forever and a day.

I hope my wife passes before I do, so I can spare her the pain of watching me die. And I hope my children are well grown and have created their own families and don't need me that much when I die, so that my passing doesn't weigh them down too much.

If I'm wrong about this whole atheism thing, and knowing my luck, I probably am, then I'm going to hell anyways. Even if I were to have a flash of clairvoyance and knew to repent, if there's a god, he wouldn't want my kind in heaven anyways. I know my wife will be there though, so I'm happy about that. She believes in "something" when we die, so I hope her "something" is rewarding.

The best I can hope for is to be blinked into nothingness and in a generation or two, I'll be completely forgotten. No one will have cared about my quest for 19" arms or a 450 bench or shredded abs. They won't care that I saved enough for retirement, or that I had re-habbed a really bad knee. They won't care that I was a good father, or that I was a pretty good football player.

And even with that foresight of knowing that no one will care, I yet still press on to achieve what I want, even if it means nothing. Even if I'm some random quantum mistake projected as a hologram from the outer shell of the universe and my consciousness is simply a quantum entanglement of dark energy that spans across the multiverse. Despite all this, I press on. I have no choice. As uberman would rightfully point out, it is my genetic fate. The fates may be what they are...I will at least try to shape a destiny out of this fate while I still can. The day I lose the drive to do it is the day I decide to test the waters of nothingness and see I'm right or wrong. And I'm not wearing my bathing suit just yet.

Heaven and Hell are religious terms. Learn deep meditation and you will come to know that nothingness is the fullest thing there is :)

Simple Simon

« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2014, 01:12:02 PM »
I was in hospital a few years ago and there was an old guy on the ward, I went talking to him as he didnt get any visitors one night.
After talking for a while i asked him if he wanted some of his juice, he said no, I asked him if he wanted various things from his dresser he kept saying no

I asked him if there was anything he wanted , he said, "I just want to die"

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2014, 01:36:08 PM »
I was in hospital a few years ago and there was an old guy on the ward, I went talking to him as he didnt get any visitors one night.
After talking for a while i asked him if he wanted some of his juice, he said no, I asked him if he wanted various things from his dresser he kept saying no

:-X

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2014, 01:41:33 PM »
Death doesn't scare me.. the dying pretty much sucks though

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2014, 01:52:01 PM »

Was he in pain? Was it a combo of that plus loneliness, depression and helplessness?
Some people just throw in the towel.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2014, 02:34:28 PM »
i guess we hit a point n we know we have to tap out n move on, when i was in hospital the last few times id see old people in pain laying there n id feel bad for them but then id say to myself thats gonna be me one day n id get scared shitless, its a scary thought,to me it is anyway
R

Simple Simon

« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2014, 02:35:19 PM »
Was he in pain? Was it a combo of that plus loneliness, depression and helplessness?
Some people just throw in the towel.
I think most people are happy to go when the time comes.
Old age is a bastard.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2014, 03:06:46 PM »
Death doesn't scare me.. the dying pretty much sucks though

Fear dying, but not death itself.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2014, 03:12:40 PM »
I think most people are happy to go when the time comes.
Old age is a bastard.
Yeah, you are right. And then there are old people who are happy to be alive, who it almost seems that they have a new lease on life...still learning, still giving out advice...seeing those people still enjoying life helps uplift you...because whatever you are going through, chances are that they have gone through it, or worse. And yet, here they are enjoying life.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2014, 03:26:20 PM »
death more unfortunate for the hardworker than it is some pussy who doesnt work hard

i look at all the houses i have worked on and fixed up, and to die and be the end of me doesnt seem to sit well with me.

sometimes i do have those moments that are rare but occasional where i really fear death, or the thought of my soul existing for ever and ever like there is no end. then the fear gets really intense to where my heart rate picks up but then i calm myself with the thought of just sayin "fuckit oh fuckit got dammit lord fuck it!"
A

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2014, 03:37:44 PM »
It is not death that we fear, but the unknown.  It is only human to do so and after all, that is exactly what we are.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2014, 03:53:18 PM »
It is not death that we fear, but the unknown.  It is only human to do so and after all, that is exactly what we are.
Quite true.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2014, 03:53:54 PM »
It is not death that we fear, but the unknown.  It is only human to do so and after all, that is exactly what we are.

Eh, maybe too simplistic. If we KNOW it will be preceded by prolonged suffering, we may damn well fear that, too.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2014, 04:10:58 PM »
Eh, maybe too simplistic. If we KNOW it will be preceded by prolonged suffering, we may damn well fear that.

Suffering, physical pain and the like has an end.  You are either made whole/well or you die.  And you are correct after a fashion but I find that which is simple is often simply true.

For example, take someone that says they don't fear the "unknown" and drop them a few miles  off shore of Australia in the darkness of night.  Alone save a device to record their reactions.

Now then, wait. 

The moment they "feel" something bump into them, the fear that is the unknown becomes readily apparent.  It may or may not mean death is coming in the form of a Great White or it could just be random debris...  If memory serves me, the opening chapter of the book "Jaws" focused on a similar moment until the woman reached down to feel her leg and fear of the unknown turned to the horror of reality.

Of course we know how that moment ended, but the fear of what was unknown to the woman was bone chilling.   

I have faith but must be honest to say that still I fear the unknown of what awaits me upon my death.  Will I hear the words, "Well done, faithful servant"... or will the last sound I ever hear be that of my final heartbeat and I and all I that I know and treasure be lost to the nothingness of silence?

The fear of death will pass into eternity.  What awaits us there is yet to be seen.  I look forward to meeting not only family and friends that I know in the real world, but others such as yourself.  i use this hope to balance out, if you will, my fear of the unknown.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2014, 04:21:24 PM »
Suffering, physical pain and the like has an end.  You are either made whole/well or you die.  And you are correct after a fashion but I find that which is simple is often simply true.

For example, take someone that says they don't fear the "unknown" and drop them a few miles  off shore of Australia in the darkness of night.  Alone save a device to record their reactions.

Now then, wait. 

The moment they "feel" something bump into them, the fear that is the unknown becomes readily apparent.  It may or may not mean death is coming in the form of a Great White or it could just be random debris...  If memory serves me, the opening chapter of the book "Jaws" focused on a similar moment until the woman reached down to feel her leg and fear of the unknown turned to the horror of reality.

Of course we know how that moment ended, but the fear of what was unknown to the woman was bone chilling.   

I have faith but must be honest to say that still I fear the unknown of what awaits me upon my death.  Will I hear the words, "Well done, faithful servant"... or will the last sound I ever hear be that of my final heartbeat and I and all I that I know and treasure be lost to the nothingness of silence?

The fear of death will pass into eternity.  What awaits us there is yet to be seen.  I look forward to meeting not only family and friends that I know in the real world, but others such as yourself.  i use this hope to balance out, if you will, my fear of the unknown.

Just saying fear isn't limited to things unknown is all. We often fear things we're familiar with, there are endless examples.

Not arguing at all which we may fear MORE.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2014, 04:23:58 PM »
Just saying fear isn't limited to things unknown is all. We often fear things we're familiar with, there are endless examples.

Not arguing at all which we may fear MORE.

True, my friend.  I was often scared out of my mind by what my father would say or do when he came home to find out I did something reeeeeeeeeeeeeally stoooopid!   ;D  Talk about the known and unknown combining to bring fear to a new level!  Dad could do just that.  ;D

Be well.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2014, 04:30:29 PM »
I fear getting old and falling apart more than I fear death.

Here, here!

Weedlejuice

• Getbig III
  • Be the very best, like no one ever was.
« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2014, 12:54:02 PM »
You sound like the guy that says, "My grandfather smoked cigarettes for 70 years and he's still around. What's the harm?" Are cigarettes a risk to health? Hell, yes.

Bodybuilding drugs are a risk to health and it's sad that users rationalize the potential for problems. Law suits are flying right now over minimal hormone replacement therapy doses that has been shown in studies to increase the odds of heart attacks and strokes. While no real studies exist on recreational bodybuilders using drugs to have cosmetic muscles one can say through empirical examination where there is smoke there is fire. How much heart disease, liver and kidney problems do you need as proof? I have been around this game for a long time and let me tell you eventually everyone gives up drug use  because of a health issue. Sometimes they give up due to arrest issues or finances but the number one reason is that their health starts failing. 

Haha funilly enough my grand father smoked a pipe heavily and drank until he died at the age of 96.

My other grandfather was born with a heart defect that caused clots and an irregular heart beat, eat a dog shit diet and has massive amounts of vicseral fat build up in his abdomen and wound up getting a heart attack at the age of 75 from the diuretics prescribed to him a week earlier thickening his blood to a point his heart couldnt cope, he survived and seems in better health now than most people his age.

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2014, 12:56:43 PM »
No

Weedlejuice

• Getbig III
  • Be the very best, like no one ever was.
« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2014, 12:59:41 PM »
How the heck do u know people abusing GH and insulin for over 30+ years??? Insulin and GH usage hasn't been around that long, certainly not 30+ yrs

Started competing at the age of 17 began using insulin and gh during his early 30's now in his 50's.

He's still cycling everything, never had a health problem related to gear as of yet. bar an Infection or two.

Mr.Mojo

• Getbig II
« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2014, 01:21:32 PM »
For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered.
But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written.
We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command or faith a dictum.
I am my own God. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system.
We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war.
We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.

Charles Bukowski
(1920 - 1994)

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2014, 01:38:50 PM »
seriously... what's the point?

once you've had "bad things" happen to you.. once you've been in bad situations, you tend to realize "oh... well... that's not so bad." and you lose that fear.

there's no point walking around each day, or ANY day, afraid of anything.

if you die, you die. not like you're gonna look back and say "damnit... I fucking died".

everybody dies.

there's a watch I used to see advertised in Esquire (I think?) that had "Remember" as the hour hand, and "You will die" as the minute hand... I loved that watch.

you think about that next time you're doing a "wooaaa is me" pitty party and worrying about a bunch of bullshit.

I've lost everything in my life, and you know what? it wasn't soo bad.... and you know what else? I got it all back.... so dying? big fucking deal.

the ones who accept the fact that they will die, will always have an advantage over the ones who will do anything to avoid it.

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2014, 01:51:51 PM »
Any human fears death.

Any human fears the ultimate transition into the unknown, what sort of question is that?

You can bodybuild safely, you can even use steroids safely. There is no need to "throw caution to the wind". You can get a fantastic physique without completely nuking your healthy with mega doses of AAS.

Moderation and patience is the key to everything in life.

Did the 70s bodybuilders drop dead? No, it is only the crop of 90s and 00s retards who are dropping like flies due to the massive abuse of heavy androgens. Simply because unbridled drug use has replaced work ethic and common sense.

Outstanding post, but then, I can't recall you ever saying anything off-base or altogether irrational.  'Matter of fact, I'd have to declare you one of DCM's favorite Getbig posters :)  ;)  

... no homo, of course  :o  ;D

I would nitpick and say that, while some of the 70s guys didn't just drop dead straight away, some of the mega-abusers of that so-called "era" probably did shorten their lives with truly batshit insane AAS use.  That loud-mouthed bully halfwit Steve What'shisname, the Intensity or Insanity dude, reportedly did enough pins and orals to make even some of the modern idiots do a double-take.  (When someone prides himself on doing upwards of 80 sets per bodypart, complete with forced reps and all of that stupid Tom Platzish "kill me, kill me!" bit at the conclusion of many said sets, I'll be a goddamned monkey's uncle if he ever improves without taking an INSANE amount of drugs.)

On the other hand, as you said, Arnold's still around.  Franco, Frank, Robby, Ed, Danny and Lou are still kicking; hell, some of them still actually look pretty good, particularly to be old farts.  People could slam the Mentzers, Viator, Serge Nubret, Sergio et al. for not making it, but perhaps apart from Sergio, none of those guys used the kind of doses gh15 would blush about.  Nah ... I knew Mike, and he was always quite candid about his drug use.  He even tried to talk me into using them :)  And yeah, he loved some goodly doses of Deca, and he was very fond of Dianabol, too -- but you can ask other fellas who know/knew him and I'm sure they'd attest that he was FAR from a drug-dependent builder.  (When someone can bench 350 and full squat 500 for a few reps as a fucking fifteen-year-old, well ... that pretty much says it all about Mike.)

But to back up:  I don't know what got Sergio apart from eating a bunch of shit for decades on end.  Greasy burgers and fries, greasy pizza, tons of Coke ... maybe that, plus reports of his "Eeets tyme tdo garow, baybee!" alleged habit of downing handfuls of CIBA DBols like candy, lead to his early demise.  Mike became a heavy smoker in no later than the early eighties (probably partly to emulate Jones and, to a lesser extent, Casey Viator), Ray had serious health problems and I've many times read that Serge smoked a good bit, too.  Plus, we all know Casey got REALLY fucking fat after he retired and, as a younger man at least, he was smoking a pack a day by the time he was 15-years-old, LOL.  Even if he quit in the 80's, it's small wonder he, the Mentzer Bros., Serge and even Sergio croaked when they did.  (Incidental note:  as much as I like Markus Ruehl as a very funny and super-cool guy, we all know he at least used to be a smoker on top of using an exorbitant amount of drugs.  His lobster-red body betrays a BP that's got to be off the charts, and a hemoglobin level that's probably north of 30 (16-18 is considered "high normal," FWIW).)

To speak to the topic at hand, I know I fear death.  Wasn't it Descartes who wrote, "Cogito Ergo Sum" -- I think, therefore I am?  Consciousness defines our existence.  If we're doomed to simply rot in the ground when we die/lose consciousness, fuck, yes, I'm afraid of that.  Why do you think so many atheists, agnostics and humanists ultimately embrace religion?  The concept of an afterlife is certainly something I can't prove or demonstrate but, as a pragmatist, I choose to believe because it serves my own selfish purposes; i.e., the idea that I and all of my loved ones -- among many, of course -- will transcend the mortal coil.  Otherwise, I'd be hopelessly arrested by the finality of the whole thing.

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2014, 01:53:44 PM »
seriously... what's the point?

once you've had "bad things" happen to you.. once you've been in bad situations, you tend to realize "oh... well... that's not so bad." and you lose that fear.

there's no point walking around each day, or ANY day, afraid of anything.

if you die, you die. not like you're gonna look back and say "damnit... I fucking died".

everybody dies.

there's a watch I used to see advertised in Esquire (I think?) that had "Remember" as the hour hand, and "You will die" as the minute hand... I loved that watch.

you think about that next time you're doing a "wooaaa is me" pitty party and worrying about a bunch of bullshit.

I've lost everything in my life, and you know what? it wasn't soo bad.... and you know what else? I got it all back.... so dying? big fucking deal.

the ones who accept the fact that they will die, will always have an advantage over the ones who will do anything to avoid it.

That, too, is an outstanding post.  Kudos, honorable sir. 

BTW, that reminds me how much I miss my subscription to Esquire.  One of my goals in life was to have a short story published in that sucker :)

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2014, 01:57:00 PM »
That, too, is an outstanding post.  Kudos, honorable sir. 

BTW, that reminds me how much I miss my subscription to Esquire.  One of my goals in life was to have a short story published in that sucker :)

I think the Buddhist view of death differs greatly from the typical Christian view.

one embraces, the other fears.