Author Topic: How would a prime Alex Karelin do in UFC  (Read 4525 times)

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
Re: How would a prime Alex Karelin do in UFC
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2014, 04:05:55 PM »
it woulda all depended on how he approached the MMA game, if he had the mark coleman/kevin randleman/brock lesner type of mindset that all they r gonna do is rely on ground n pound n not work super hard on submissions n submission defense as well as striking n striking defense he will fail, wrestlers that became champions where the ones that realized wrestling just wasnt enough n worked on all the other areas as well. dont get me wrong,wrestling is the best base imo for MMA,but to rely on it alone is foolish, couture,hughes,ortiz,sherk ect all bacame very good at bjj and striking and that helped them bigtime. if karelin woulda trained under a great camp like extreme couture or jacksons or american top team ect he woulda been a top contender imo, but there are so many factors to consider, questions like can he take a punch? or can he learn to fight off his back ect,its hard to say unless he actually fought,but i think he woulda did fine tho

coleman, randleman and lesnar were all champions

E
E

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2014, 11:33:05 PM »
887 Wins.............2 Loses.........in his whole career... ??? ??? ???... and 1 of those loses came @ the end of his Career...   :o :o :o..........yup its one of those difficult things too fully gauge really...Grecco wrestling etc is one thing...getting Punched, kneed, elbowed and kicked in the face is something else...with the right team/coach etc...a Prime Karelin would have had a real good shot thats for sure...the standup withstanding.........

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2014, 12:06:30 AM »
887 Wins.............2 Loses.........in his whole career... ??? ??? ???... and 1 of those loses came @ the end of his Career...   :o :o :o..........yup its one of those difficult things too fully gauge really...Grecco wrestling etc is one thing...getting Punched, kneed, elbowed and kicked in the face is something else...with the right team/coach etc...a Prime Karelin would have had a real good shot thats for sure...the standup withstanding.........

Let see..for six full years this guy never lost a single point in international competition, to anyone, and won most of his fights in less than three minutes. He was wrestling against world best wrestlers, top guys and for six years they didn't get even single point out from him? And look at his face, do he look like he would be afraid to fight? Do he look like he couldn't kick and use his fists? When some one is as talented as Karelin, how difficult it would be to teach him how to block the kicks and hits? This guy was extremely fast and strong, and he has reach of the orangutan. He used to take a grip of the opponents arms and squeeze until they didn't feel their fingers. He trained his neck by doing head stands, and from that position lowered his ear to the floor alternately on either side, or tilting his head front and back. I bet this guy could take decent beating even his hand behind his back, and then laughing rip the ears of from the beaters with no effort at all ;D  

Beefjake

• Getbig IV
  • Oh fuck it.
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2014, 02:00:35 AM »
Let see..for six full years this guy never lost a single point in international competition, to anyone, and won most of his fights in less than three minutes. He was wrestling against world best wrestlers, top guys and for six years they didn't get even single point out from him? And look at his face, do he look like he would be afraid to fight? Do he look like he couldn't kick and use his fists? When some one is as talented as Karelin, how difficult it would be to teach him how to block the kicks and hits? This guy was extremely fast and strong, and he has reach of the orangutan. He used to take a grip of the opponents arms and squeeze until they didn't feel their fingers. He trained his neck by doing head stands, and from that position lowered his ear to the floor alternately on either side, or tilting his head front and back. I bet this guy could take decent beating even his hand behind his back, and then laughing rip the ears of from the beaters with no effort at all ;D  

This.
And I'd suspect that Karelin would never underestimate his opposition. He'd propably train his weaker areas.

Could've, should've, would've, one never really knows though?

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2014, 02:48:07 AM »
How about prime Meng in UFC?

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2014, 03:35:58 AM »
Prime Haku would be dangerous.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2014, 03:59:09 AM »
Imagine a time machine so we could get ebveryone in the UFC in their primes! Karelin, Tyson, Bruce Lee, Meng! Andre the Giant, Jack Dempsey.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2014, 05:37:47 AM »
coleman, randleman and lesnar were all champions

E

yes they where but the game passed them by, what i mean is while everyone else was working there WEAK AREAS coleman/randleman/lesnar where all just focusing on wrestling n GROUND N POUND,problem was people starting learning how to SPRAWL N BRAWL n get BACK TO THEIR FEET after they got taken down. then what happened? we seen it when coleman fought MO SMITH, FEDOR for example, coleman starting gassing n since he had no other game besides ground n pound he was lost. randleman same thing, before he KO,D CRO COP he looked horribe, basiclly just held cro cop against ropes n tried to take him down but really couldnt, i do give randleman credit tho cause he has that huge left hand that can drop anyone, but again,without his takedowns n big left hand randlemans not a WELL ROUNDED FIGHTER like MATT HUGHES for example, hughes can SUBMIT PEOPLE N HAS SUBMITTED SUCH GREATS AS GRACIE BLACK BELT RICARDO ALMEIDA, all im saying is that MMA is always evolving n if a person thinks they dont have to keep evolving with the sport they will b left far behind. if coleman woulda had a nice guard game n even got to a PURPLE BELT LEVEL he woulda did better, i remember watching alot of coleman fights thinking he coulda finished the fight right there, u guys remember the fedor fight? coleman had fedors back n looked clueless had to finish the RNC(REAR NAKED CHOKE), dont get me wrong fedor is a world champion in submission grappling so even if mark woulda known how to do that chokw perfectly it prolly wouldnt of worked anyway cause both guy where slipperry at that point, but who knows?
R

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2014, 05:51:27 AM »
Who's winning this UFC? Weidman or Machida? Machida is finally fighting in his true weigh class.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2014, 11:22:47 AM »
 Karelin was a monster

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2014, 11:27:40 AM »
yes they where but the game passed them by, what i mean is while everyone else was working there WEAK AREAS coleman/randleman/lesnar where all just focusing on wrestling n GROUND N POUND,problem was people starting learning how to SPRAWL N BRAWL n get BACK TO THEIR FEET after they got taken down. then what happened? we seen it when coleman fought MO SMITH, FEDOR for example, coleman starting gassing n since he had no other game besides ground n pound he was lost. randleman same thing, before he KO,D CRO COP he looked horribe, basiclly just held cro cop against ropes n tried to take him down but really couldnt, i do give randleman credit tho cause he has that huge left hand that can drop anyone, but again,without his takedowns n big left hand randlemans not a WELL ROUNDED FIGHTER like MATT HUGHES for example, hughes can SUBMIT PEOPLE N HAS SUBMITTED SUCH GREATS AS GRACIE BLACK BELT RICARDO ALMEIDA, all im saying is that MMA is always evolving n if a person thinks they dont have to keep evolving with the sport they will b left far behind. if coleman woulda had a nice guard game n even got to a PURPLE BELT LEVEL he woulda did better, i remember watching alot of coleman fights thinking he coulda finished the fight right there, u guys remember the fedor fight? coleman had fedors back n looked clueless had to finish the RNC(REAR NAKED CHOKE), dont get me wrong fedor is a world champion in submission grappling so even if mark woulda known how to do that chokw perfectly it prolly wouldnt of worked anyway cause both guy where slipperry at that point, but who knows?

Bas Rutten said that Lesnar would've been smart to train with Golden Glory in Holland

But the best striker that Lesnar worked with was Pat Berry  ::)

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2014, 11:38:41 AM »
poorly

he's a one dimensional fighter and only knows groundgame

if he learned standup earlier on he might have done well

IceCold

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2014, 08:09:18 PM »
Igor overrated, surely a joke?! You knew nothing about the man 'til i mentioned him and by the sound of things you still have no idea about him. Igor in his prime was a killing machine, little man fighting above his weight and leaving mounds of unconscious opponents in his wake. Feared nobody and possessed incredible KO power, would be a test for anyone at his best.

This...

Check my user name... Igor also had a 40 fight win streak.. Beat the shit out of mark Kerr when he was thought to be indestructible
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL ABBOTT (1966-2004)

D.O.A.

• Getbig IV
  • Revenge is a dish best served ice cold
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2014, 10:13:07 PM »
Shamrock would have kicked his teeth in and then buy him vodka to wash them down.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2014, 03:47:39 AM »
Igor overrated, surely a joke?! You knew nothing about the man 'til i mentioned him and by the sound of things you still have no idea about him. Igor in his prime was a killing machine, little man fighting above his weight and leaving mounds of unconscious opponents in his wake. Feared nobody and possessed incredible KO power, would be a test for anyone at his best.
Hi Igor  ;D
V

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2014, 11:04:44 AM »
Oh igor VOVCHANCYN!!

I thought you meant Igor , Draculas butler.

Vovchancyn yeh he was a bad ass