Author Topic: Marine to remain in Mexican prison  (Read 17684 times)

RRKore

• Getbig IV
Re: Marine to remain in Mexican prison
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 11:52:29 AM »
BTW, this situation surely sucks for the marine but he's lucky he's getting major media attention because this kind of thing happens to US citizens in countries other Mexico, too, and they aren't as lucky.

Anyone here besides me know the story of how American citizen Joe Gordon came to be locked up in a Thai prison for 14 months in 2011?:
In October 2011 when 55-year old American citizen Joe Gordon, who had been born in Thailand but had legally lived in America for the last 30 years, arrived by plane to Thailand (in order to get some cheaper medical treatment), he was arrested and sentenced to 2 and a half years imprisonment for having translated and posted excerpts from a banned book a few years earlier in America!

A US citizen was sentenced to hard time in a Thai prison for doing something years before in the USA where his actions weren't even remotely against the law. 

Believe that bullshit?  --  It's like if the marine had left his guns at home but was prosecuted in Mexico for having them anyway.

There is somewhat of a happy ending:  Through the efforts of the US state department, he did end up getting a royal pardon after serving 14 months of his 36-month sentence.

BTW, my university-educated Thai wife has recently read the book, which is an unauthorized biography of the Thai king called The King Never Smiles, and says that it kicks ass.  She says that the history taught to Thai kids, especially the relatively recent history of the monarchy in Thailand, is mostly bullshit.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2014, 04:23:58 PM »
Joe, I am curious about something.

It is my understanding (I've only read one brief article on this case) that the soldier in question admitted he crossed the border into Mexico. If he did, shouldn't Mexico be able to prosecute him for violating their laws and handle the case as they would with anyone else on their soil?

So my question is what exactly is the issue here? Do you believe that Americans can act with impunity and disregard local laws when in a foreign nation?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2014, 05:16:51 PM »
I've driven that part of the border and it is very easy to miss the last U.S. exit and wind up in Tijuana.  I'm sure it's a common mistake.  No way this kid should be locked up for over three months. 

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2014, 05:54:19 PM »
Joe, I am curious about something.

It is my understanding (I've only read one brief article on this case) that the soldier in question admitted he crossed the border into Mexico. If he did, shouldn't Mexico be able to prosecute him for violating their laws and handle the case as they would with anyone else on their soil?

So my question is what exactly is the issue here? Do you believe that Americans can act with impunity and disregard local laws when in a foreign nation?

Sure

But as long the US government and Mexican government work in tandem to send us their dregs, this guy should get a pass.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2014, 06:25:19 PM »
Sure, post it up. I've heard about it and If I recall it was debunked. You googled it and I'm sure you found a story to try and bolster your arguement. You have Obama fighting for Mexicans and Illegals in general but not for Americans. The same way he supports terrorism but shit's on our own military. You're desperately trying to make arguments for Obama in all thread that oppose him and getting railed in the process. What has he actually done for you to gain his support. WHY DID YOU VOTE FOR HIM?

Coach!  Down boy!, lol  Sincerely, mang, I'm not making an argument here.  First I hadn't heard anything about this story until I saw your post so I'm saying it'd have been nice for you to post a link about the episode.  That's all.

As far as asking you about the signage on the freeway regarding imminent entry into Mexico I was only asking you what you think because you live sorta close to the CA/Mexico border, don't you?  

I, myself, just moved to the Inland Empire so I live fairly close to it, too, but it's been years and years since I've been as far South as even San Diego so I have no idea how easy it might be to accidentally enter Mexico while driving.  

Re: My defense of Obama, I really don't think I'm some kind of fanboy.  It's more like maybe I read too many comic books as a kid or something but I'll defend almost anyone I don't pretty much hate when I feel he or she isn't getting a fair shake.  And, I'm not sure if it's because he's black or what, but folks are definitely going overboard with the Obama hate.  

Also, to be honest, I kinda like going against the grain or being a contrarian or whatever you want to call it.  And that means that on this forum, I'm gonna end up sticking up for Obama more often than not.  Only here, though.  Not on liberal sites --- I had a straight war with some self-proclaimed black female PhD who said she worked as a university professor over on crooksandliars.com recently for having the nerve to defend Anthony from the Opie & Anthony show over his recent racist tirade that led to him getting fired.  Holy shit, that super-prickly woman took offense to nearly everything I said -- It was beautiful, lol.  

BTW, I only voted for Obama the first time.  Last election I did not vote for him because he didn't seem like he was even trying to do some of the things (that I consider important) that he'd promised to do.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2014, 06:35:27 PM »
Sure, post it up. I've heard about it and If I recall it was debunked. You googled it and I'm sure you found a story to try and bolster your arguement. You have Obama fighting for Mexicans and Illegals in general but not for Americans. The same way he supports terrorism but shit's on our own military. You're desperately trying to make arguments for Obama in all thread that oppose him and getting railed in the process. What has he actually done for you to gain his support. WHY DID YOU VOTE FOR HIM?

BTW, so you think I get "railed" here?  LOL

To that I've gotta say "not even".  Almost all of the people here I've argued with aren't even in the same league with some of the otherwise smart folks over on Reddit who I'm pretty sure are frothing at the mouth when they're arguing with me over steroid use. 

As you'd expect, of course, I'm repping GetBig by arguing the pro-steroid side. lol

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2014, 06:46:38 PM »
I've driven that part of the border and it is very easy to miss the last U.S. exit and wind up in Tijuana.  I'm sure it's a common mistake.  No way this kid should be locked up for over three months. 

Common mistake or not, should Mexico be allowed to enforce their laws and prosecute offenders or not?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2014, 07:08:55 PM »
Common mistake or not, should Mexico be allowed to enforce their laws and prosecute offenders or not?

Sure they should.  But this kid wasn't an arms dealer.  My understanding is he called 911 as soon as he realized he had mistakenly crossed the border.  Hardly the conduct of someone trying to sneak guns into another country. 

I don't think we should sit back and do nothing.  No, we shouldn't send troops across the border and break the guy out.  But diplomatic pressure?  No question.  There is a lot more the president should be doing to bring this kid home. 

Also, anything related to Baja California's and Mexico's law enforcement is suspect IMO.  They are corrupt.  That has to be part of the analysis, even if it isn't stated publicly.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2014, 08:17:23 PM »
Solution:

Don't visit any country with screwed up laws and systems.

Like those "hikers" that happened to be picked up on the wrong side of the iran order.   Who really says "hey, let's go to a nation that's our enemy and get right up on those borders, awesome scenery bro!"

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2014, 07:52:47 AM »

True...he should be locked up for much longer.

This is no different than our argument over the soldier who went into Canada with firearms.

If you're gonna have guns you act and behave like a fucking ADULT.

Know where you are.  Know where you are going.  Know the laws, rules, and regulations of all areas around you.

He can sit in that Mexican shithole which is exactly what he deserves until he grows the fuck up.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »

WHY DO YOU KEEP VOTING REPUBLICAN?

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2014, 12:58:04 PM »
He can speak out for trayvon martin.
He can speak out for black professors who get slighted.
He will speak out for any black, anywhere, for anything.

But when an 82yr old white WW2 vet gets beaten to death by black thugs, he doesnt make a peep.
When a white vet languishes in a mexican prison for a ridiculous charge, he doesnt make a peep.

Obama is a left wing radical, plain and simple, and he cares for NOTHING or ANYONE who isnt part of his agenda.

You make some very good points. I agree.
A

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2014, 01:11:04 PM »
Coach!  Down boy!, lol  Sincerely, mang, I'm not making an argument here.  First I hadn't heard anything about this story until I saw your post so I'm saying it'd have been nice for you to post a link about the episode.  That's all.

As far as asking you about the signage on the freeway regarding imminent entry into Mexico I was only asking you what you think because you live sorta close to the CA/Mexico border, don't you?  

I, myself, just moved to the Inland Empire so I live fairly close to it, too, but it's been years and years since I've been as far South as even San Diego so I have no idea how easy it might be to accidentally enter Mexico while driving.  

Re: My defense of Obama, I really don't think I'm some kind of fanboy.  It's more like maybe I read too many comic books as a kid or something but I'll defend almost anyone I don't pretty much hate when I feel he or she isn't getting a fair shake.  And, I'm not sure if it's because he's black or what, but folks are definitely going overboard with the Obama hate.  

Also, to be honest, I kinda like going against the grain or being a contrarian or whatever you want to call it.  And that means that on this forum, I'm gonna end up sticking up for Obama more often than not.  Only here, though.  Not on liberal sites --- I had a straight war with some self-proclaimed black female PhD who said she worked as a university professor over on crooksandliars.com recently for having the nerve to defend Anthony from the Opie & Anthony show over his recent racist tirade that led to him getting fired.  Holy shit, that super-prickly woman took offense to nearly everything I said -- It was beautiful, lol.  

BTW, I only voted for Obama the first time.  Last election I did not vote for him because he didn't seem like he was even trying to do some of the things (that I consider important) that he'd promised to do.

You should probably re-read your own posts then - As an amused yet depressed independent I view you as the 'D' equivalent of Soul Crusher. Partisan , knee jerk defense of the Dear Leader no matter what he does..

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2014, 02:03:38 PM »

Here is a link to the FOX News take on this story. Since FOX News tends to be more rightwing, I figured you'd not have much argument with this news item.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/09/after-100-days-in-mexican-prison-marine-sgt-tahmooressi-to-get-day-in-court/

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2014, 02:06:24 PM »
You should probably re-read your own posts then - As an amused yet depressed independent I view you as the 'D' equivalent of Soul Crusher. Partisan , knee jerk defense of the Dear Leader no matter what he does..

Sincerely, I don't think you're reading my posts closely enough.  (If you should choose to take a 2nd look, I suggest you start by reading what I wrote following the part you bolded in my post that you've quoted.)

You sound pretty sure of yourself though, so how about you post some examples of my fanboy-ism?  

BTW, even if it were true that all I do is defend Obama then how does that equate to me being the lib equivalent of Soul Crusher?  Because in case you haven't noticed, SC, who often starts multiple topics daily, doesn't defend anything;  He's strictly into offense.  

Do you really see me starting many threads?  I think I've started maybe 5 threads total (compared to the 1 zillion by SC) with none that I remember being about Obama.  

If I'm wrong about that, though, please post examples and I'll apologize to you for disparaging your reading comprehension skills.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »

True...he should be locked up for much longer.

This is no different than our argument over the soldier who went into Canada with firearms.

If you're gonna have guns you act and behave like a fucking ADULT.

Know where you are.  Know where you are going.  Know the laws, rules, and regulations of all areas around you.

He can sit in that Mexican shithole which is exactly what he deserves until he grows the fuck up.

I take a more commonsense approach to this stuff.  Laws regarding gun smugglers were designed to deter and punish gun smugglers.  They were not intended to punish people who mistakenly cross the border.  We would never take away someone's liberty for this kind of mistake in the U.S.  There also needs to be proportionality.  Fine the guy, suspend his passport, make him take a geography class, etc., but not indefinite prison in a foreign country.   

We should not allow our citizens to be locked up in a cell for this long.  Even the dumb ones. 

I make an exception for those who intentionally turn themselves over to the enemy (i.e., Bergdahl). 

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2014, 01:41:32 PM »
I take a more commonsense approach to this stuff.  Laws regarding gun smugglers were designed to deter and punish gun smugglers.  They were not intended to punish people who mistakenly cross the border.  We would never take away someone's liberty for this kind of mistake in the U.S.  There also needs to be proportionality.  Fine the guy, suspend his passport, make him take a geography class, etc., but not indefinite prison in a foreign country.   

We should not allow our citizens to be locked up in a cell for this long.  Even the dumb ones. 

I make an exception for those who intentionally turn themselves over to the enemy (i.e., Bergdahl). 

LOL... are you really that naïve?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2014, 01:54:48 PM »
LOL... are you really that naïve?

You have an analogous example or are you just being a contrarian? 

I doubt someone who mistakenly crosses the border into the U.S. would be locked up for months.  In fact, we'd probably give them healthcare, an ID, etc.   

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2014, 04:12:03 PM »

He's charged with possession, not smuggling so the smuggling laws or purposes are not relevant.

25 years old, combat veteran, more than grown up to know better.  He should've behaved like a fucking adult, especially driving around with loaded weapons.  IMO, he needs to do more time.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2014, 04:19:46 PM »

He's charged with possession, not smuggling so the smuggling laws or purposes are not relevant.

25 years old, combat veteran, more than grown up to know better.  He should've behaved like a fucking adult, especially driving around with loaded weapons.  IMO, he needs to do more time.

Same analysis.  Laws regarding illegal possession of firearms were not designed to target people like him, nor was prison designed for people like him. 

An absolute waste of resources and something that is contrary to the freedom we enjoy as American citizens. 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2014, 04:26:22 PM »
Same analysis.  Laws regarding illegal possession of firearms were not designed to target people like him, nor was prison designed for people like him. 

An absolute waste of resources and something that is contrary to the freedom we enjoy as American citizens. 

Meh...he's right in line with the basic premise.  Too many people acting irresponsibly with guns is what leads to all these stupid gun laws to begin with.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2014, 04:26:30 PM »
it looks a lot like he was smuggling guns into mexico to sell them.

Frequent hotel rooms trips - where he would park his car in a lot on the american side, then walk across to a hotel room to "hang out".   Then come back at night, and rolls into MEX with 3 guns.

Yeah, he knew the law, and nobody accidentally crosses lines like that at night, if they're so familiar with the area and the laws.  Then he admitted, when shown evidence, that yeah, he had done this 4 times before, to the same hotel.

I bet they pull up his US gun purchase records, and he has bought dozens of rifles and shotguns... "sold/lost them all"...

Dude got caught.  Plain and simple.  I respect the service he gave our country, but beyond that, he very clearly did this 4 times.  He brought 3 guns across a border.  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2014, 04:31:58 PM »

Meh...he's right in line with the basic premise.  Too many people acting irresponsibly with guns is what leads to all these stupid gun laws to begin with.

Dude had a rifle, shotgun, handgun, boxes of ammo...
plates showed up 3 times previously doing this.
Dude tried to escape from prison in Mexico lol...

It doesn't matter what we *believe* because the FACTS are clear here.
He smuggled 3 guns into a very anti-gun country, knowing the law full well.
He went THRU the border crossing, knowing that was highly illegal.

I find it VERY difficult to believe "but but but there were no U-turns before entering another nation" haha.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2014, 04:37:24 PM »

People committing violent crimes are the reason we wind up with stupid laws. 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2014, 04:48:52 PM »
Interesting article here:
https://news.vice.com/article/the-complex-case-of-a-us-marine-held-for-accidentally-taking-guns-to-mexico

At best, this guy is an idiot, though maybe partially due to his PTSD.