Author Topic: What's so special about Vince Girondas physique?  (Read 9509 times)

Complex Carbs

Re: What's so special about Vince Girondas physique?
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2014, 12:34:59 PM »
Haha, exactly. Ultimate punchable face.
Ok, "cockwave" , you want your boyfriend to have a different face, we gather.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2014, 12:39:10 PM »
probably this one. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
F

Complex Carbs

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2014, 12:41:46 PM »
probably this one. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Yes, "cockcrave" has a very precise idea how his ideal partner should look.

Purge_WTF

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2014, 12:44:16 PM »
Having that kind of size and balance back in those days was quite the achievement, especially without the supplements and crazy amounts of gear we have now.

Vince may have been a hardass, but he walked the walk.

Complex Carbs

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2014, 12:46:11 PM »
Having that kind of size and balance back in those days was quite the achievement, especially without the supplements and crazy amounts of gear we have now.

Vince may have been a hardass, but he walked the walk.
You are talking as if every other guy these days looks like that or better.

Where do you live?

Purge_WTF

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2014, 12:48:42 PM »
You are talking as if every other guy these days looks like that or better.

Quite the opposite, actually. Very few guys these days look as good as Vince did.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2014, 12:52:00 PM »
Vince Gironda was very articulate and payed Attention to Detail. I mean if i ask some guys at the Gym do you think Sartorius development is important .. they wonīt even know it runs from the inside of the upper thigh down to itīs Insertion on the inner side of the upper knee. he trained it doing a Version of adduction using two low pulleys. No machines when he did it. Leaning back on leg extensions Training the upper quad groin area...Sissy squats... he did leg Training very different to most at that time. he really planned his physique. i donīt like all what he said but he did know his anatomy.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2014, 12:52:26 PM »
Ill settle for you, stud.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2014, 12:57:23 PM »
F

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!

The Onion

• Getbig III
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2014, 01:00:56 PM »
I'm with OP on this.

I think we all can agree that Girondas lower body isn't all that great. That leaves the upper body and, however symmetrical it may be, it doesn't have much of a wow-factor other than his low lat insertions. So what if his arms are symmetrical if they're not developed...

His torso is also somewhat short in proportion to his legs and in combination with said low lat insertion it looks kind of funky imo (I have the same problem with Bannout, his torso almost looks "compressed" to me).

Sure it's a decent physique but, just as OP, I don't see all the hoopla.

While I can acknowledge his achievement considering the limitations of his era I don't see the point of making a PERSONAL aesthetic/visual judgment today with the glasses of back then. It makes absolutely no sense.

It's like having a really old picture of an ugly woman on my wall and "rationalizing" that she's beatiful by telling myself that they didn't have dental care back then...

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2014, 01:03:41 PM »
women from that era good as or worse than now.
F

Complex Carbs

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2014, 01:08:03 PM »
I'm with OP on this.

I think we all can agree that Girondas lower body isn't all that great. That leaves the upper body and, however symmetrical it may be, it doesn't have much of a wow-factor other than his low lat insertions. So what if his arms are symmetrical if they're not developed...

His torso is also somewhat short in proportion to his legs and in combination with said low lat insertion it looks kind of funky imo (I have the same probelm with Bannout, his torso almost looks "compressed" to me).

Sure it's a decent physique but, just as OP, I don't see all the hoopla.

While I can "appreciate" his achievement considering the limitations of his era I don't see the point of making a PERSONAL aesthetic/visual judgment today with the glasses of back then. It makes absolutely no sense.

It's like having a really old picture of an ugly woman on my wall and "rationalizing" that she's beatiful by telling myself that they didn't have dental care back then...
Not "back then".
He looks better than firstly all the untrained people in the world, this includes you.

Second, he looks better than 99% of people who workout these days.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2014, 01:19:23 PM »
Gironda was like the proto - Zane. His physique had flow, a bit of size, he was pleasingly ripped, and that magical "pop" to the muscles that body builders talk about.

Others had some of those qualities, but he was one of the first to sort of bridge various eras.

The Onion

• Getbig III
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2014, 01:24:10 PM »
Not "back then".
He looks better than firstly all the untrained people in the world, this includes you.

Second, he looks better than 99% of people who workout these days.
I think you're missing the point of my "back-then-vs-now-analogy"...

Redundant statements as I'm not comparing him to untrained people or regular gym goers. Given the context of this discussion, being a bodybuilding forum, it should be quite obvious that I'm comparing him to other accomplished bodybuilders.

Your fondness of the guy is duly noted though.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2014, 01:27:12 PM »
Redundant statements as I'm not comparing him to untrained people or regular gym goers. Given the context of this discussion, being a bodybuilding forum, it should be quite obvious that I'm comparing him to other accomplished bodybuilders.

Complex carbs is that poster that just goes on the offensive with everyone. He takes the opposite stance of whatever is said and argues with anyone and everyone..

Its just his thing.

Complex Carbs

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2014, 01:28:45 PM »
I think you're missing the point of my "back-then-vs-now-analogy"...

You daft girl are comparing him with the 2000's onward olympia line up.

Being a bodybuilding forum?

That is a good point, are you a bodybuilder?

(no)

Why are you here?

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2014, 01:29:00 PM »
Yeah man he was. I mean read some of his later quotes and decide for youself....

"Nope.

Might as well paint a nipple on a volleyball.  Nothing against anyone else's personal choice....but the name says it all for me ...its  a  FAKE TIT."

"How so ?  they are real muscles.  The comparison you are looking for is Synthol. which I don't need because I have world class genetics"

"lets see your perfect physique. at least I have strong points , what do you have ?

"Good enough to be a mr olympia.

I didn't realize all you guys were perfect with no weak points "

WAIDDAMINUTE!

The Onion

• Getbig III
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2014, 01:29:19 PM »
Complex carbs is that poster that just goes on the offensive with everyone. He takes the opposite stance of whatever is said and argues with anyone and everyone..

Its just his thing.
I should have figured, guess he got me this time.  :D

Thanks for the heads up!

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2014, 01:43:28 PM »
women from that era good as or worse than now.
. Yes..  Minus the flip flops, tatoos and entitled attitude. Thank you sir.

thulsaDOOM210

• Getbig III
  • Enlightenment is my DOOM
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2014, 01:49:34 PM »
WAIDDAMINUTE!

lol haha, noone knows what you did there... useless lot.

Vince was quite the narcissist huh? Lol

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2014, 02:11:28 PM »
Here's some live action shots from 1947 and the 50's -

And a bit from various training tapes, I would've guessed him to have a different type of voice and mannerism -

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2014, 05:58:00 PM »
Vince Gironda was very articulate and payed Attention to Detail. I mean if i ask some guys at the Gym do you think Sartorius development is important .. they wonīt even know it runs from the inside of the upper thigh down to itīs Insertion on the inner side of the upper knee. he trained it doing a Version of adduction using two low pulleys. No machines when he did it. Leaning back on leg extensions Training the upper quad groin area...Sissy squats... he did leg Training very different to most at that time. he really planned his physique. i donīt like all what he said but he did know his anatomy.
You can see all that you wrote in his leg development  :D

Very thoughtful guy but not very open to ideas other than his own.
Was credited in Muscle Publications as developing Larry Scott but Larry disliked him immensely, said in press that Vince was ultimately Jealous of Larry's success and a complete cunt.

Still , his teachings are very interesting and I agree with "certain exercises work certain areas more than others" - he was all about shaping/sculpting the muscle with certain moves and size will follow with the
illusion these moves  creates.

Very bright man although very closed minded from many accounts  :)    

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2014, 09:50:45 PM »
Let me tell you guys something. Back in the early 80's Vince's books were the holy grail of bodybuilding.
I lived in the UK and we thought Weider was a joke but Vince was taken seriously in terms of nutrition and bodybuilding exercise form.
He had a very good physique back in the day and later on he had an addiction to vodka. I trained at Vince's maybe 20 times when I was on secondment to the US Navy when I was in the RAF back in the 80's. He was a cheeky bastard but you could see that he had deep feelings beneath the gruff exterior, just like most vodka addicts.
He was a bit cheeky to me and my English bodybuilding training partner the first time we walked into his gym. When I spoke he asked me what language I was speaking. I told him I was Glasgow Scottish and he asked me why I wasn't wearing a skirt. I told him the garment was called a kilt and if he ever spoke to me like that again I would burst his jaw so hard his blood would cover his celling. From that moment on he was a proper gent.

I remember during my third or fourth visit it was a Saturday evening and I invited him and his son Guy out for a scotch whiskey drinking session and he said yes. We must have drunk 2 bottles of Scotch that night in the local bars  and I awoke in his gym around 6.00 am on the floor. No idea how I got here but Vince turned up at 7.00am looking fresh as a daisy and called me a Scottish lightweight.
First and last time anyone called me that but I believe Vince lived on Vodka for the last 10 years of his life and had developed a tolerance way beyond the average man. I will always remember him with great respect.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2014, 11:17:44 PM »
How do you think it compares to say the body of Hugh Jackman?

Jackman is an actor with a decent physique, but he is no bodybuilder. Vince had a bodybuilder's build in his time. There is no comparison....both have good abs is all.