Author Topic: What's so special about Vince Girondas physique?  (Read 9413 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: What's so special about Vince Girondas physique?
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2014, 11:24:51 PM »
women from that era good as or worse than now.

Many women in this era had nice hourglass figures, but without the extremely fat asses and giant fake boobies you see on many women today. I prefer this look to the seemingly popular look these days.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2014, 11:35:20 PM »
I think you're missing the point of my "back-then-vs-now-analogy"...

Redundant statements as I'm not comparing him to untrained people or regular gym goers. Given the context of this discussion, being a bodybuilding forum, it should be quite obvious that I'm comparing him to other accomplished bodybuilders.

Your fondness of the guy is duly noted though.

So is this the comparison you're thinking of?

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2014, 12:00:34 AM »
Gironda looks much better than the guy below. THAT is bodybuilding.. below is a degeneration of what was known as bodybuilding at one time.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2014, 12:09:57 AM »
Gironda looks much better than the guy below. THAT is bodybuilding.. below is a degeneration of what was known as bodybuilding at one time.

Call it the Superhero syndrome and the bigger is better effect.

I'll take Vince's physique any day. Much healthier and clothes actually fit in the event you don't want to spend the rest of your life in a thong.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2014, 12:21:39 AM »

The Onion

• Getbig III
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2014, 12:23:24 AM »
So is this the comparison you're thinking of?
Stupid assumption on your part, especially considering your less than well-known bodybuilder as an example (I've never seen that guy before) - and even if he were to act as a model for a type of physique, and not a specific one to be used in the comparison with Vince, you'd be drawing on your own biased conclusions. There's something called theory of mind, which you seem to fail at, that you should read up on.

Here's a reference of what I'm comparing to Vince.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2014, 12:48:39 AM »
Stupid assumption on your part, especially considering your less than well-known bodybuilder as an example (I've never seen that guy before) - and even if he were to act as a model for a type of physique, and not a specific one to be used in the comparison with Vince, you'd be drawing on your own biased conclusions. There's something called theory of mind, which you seem to fail at, that you should read up on.

Here's a reference of what I'm comparing to Vince.

Is this not a quote from one of your posts?

I think you're missing the point of my "back-then-vs-now-analogy"...

Serge Nubret had a very good build. Unarguably better than Vince's, but they are from the same era. Serge is hardly an example of the look of most of today's pro bodybuilding competitors.

In 1958, back in Guadeloupe after accounting studies, Serge decided to dedicate himself to bodybuilding which was to become, in his own words, his "reason for being." Gifted with real artistic aptitudes, Serge Nubret was then ready to fulfilling his potential of becoming the "sculptor of his own body".
1958: Mr. Guadeloupe
1960: IFBB World Most Muscular Man
1963: NABBA Pro Mr. Universe (2nd)
1964: NABBA Pro Mr. Universe (2nd)
1969: NABBA Pro Mr. Universe (3rd)
1969: IFBB Mr. World (Tall) (2nd)
1970: IFBB Mr. Europe (Tall)
1972: IFBB Mr. Olympia (3rd)
1973: IFBB Mr. Olympia (3rd)
1975: IFBB Mr. Olympia (Heavy Weight, 3rd)
1976: NABBA Pro Mr. Universe
1976: WBBG Mr. Olympus (2nd)
1977: NABBA Pro Mr. Universe (2nd)
1977: WBBG Mr. Olympus
1977: WBBG Pro Mr. World
1978: NABBA Pro. Mr. Universe (2nd)
1981: Pro WABBA World Championships
1983: Pro WABBA World Championships

Vince was born long before Serge, but I think it is safe to say they were from the same bodybuilding period. His list of titles supports the fact that Serge was a superior bodybuilder.
1950 Mr. USA -4th
1951 AAU Mr. America -2nd

I picked someone less well known intentionally. In terms of being a title holder, Vince would have been pretty unknown too if all he'd accomplished was those two titles. He was better known for his contribution to bodybuilding because of his gym, training philosophy and seemingly sometimes abrasive personality.

The Onion

• Getbig III
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2014, 01:28:34 AM »
Primemuscle, you too are missing my point. I'm not talking about judging past bodybuilders versus present ones in terms of eras vs eras, in stead I'm talking about that on a subjective level of what's appealing/impressive you need to weigh personal preferences that's not limited in one context of time.

A visual judgment is that of a visual judgment, no more and no less, and everything else, such as "the limitations of an era vs the opportunities of another", doesn't affect the appreciation of a strictly visual judgment in the now.

The reason as to why I mentioned past vs present is that I'm trying to make a distinction between aesthetical appreciaton of something and the effort that lies behind it - as people seem to have a tendency to make aestetic valuations based on other circumstances.

Not sure if it makes things any clearer but I'm not willing to delve any deeper in this right now.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2014, 01:48:17 AM »
Ring Flyes are in vogue now.. but Vince was doing them Years ago.. Read through some Training articles on here. Enjoy... ;)
http://www.ironguru.com/chest/

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2014, 03:20:34 AM »
Primemuscle, you too are missing my point. I'm not talking about judging past bodybuilders versus present ones in terms of eras vs eras, in stead I'm talking about that on a subjective level of what's appealing/impressive you need to weigh personal preferences that's not limited in one context of time.

A visual judgment is that of a visual judgment, no more and no less, and everything else, such as "the limitations of an era vs the opportunities of another", doesn't affect the appreciation of a strictly visual judgment in the now.

The reason as to why I mentioned past vs present is that I'm trying to make a distinction between aesthetical appreciaton of something and the effort that lies behind it - as people seem to have a tendency to make aestetic valuations based on other circumstances.

Not sure if it makes things any clearer but I'm not willing to delve any deeper in this right now.

It makes things clearer....sort of.

What you have failed to consider it seems is that what is considered aesthetically appealing changes over time. Personal preferences should be the criteria each of us uses to make our own judgments and it usually is. However, if the current look of heavily muscled bodies often at the expense of symmetry are what today's bodybuilding competitions are geared towards, a professional judge judging today's bodybuilders on yesteryear's standards would be wrong.

My personal preference today is based on what I have concluded is a healthy, muscled, symmetrical, maybe natural physique. Although there was a time when my preference was more towards the very heavily muscled physique, after getting marginally bulked up myself, I realized how unhealthy and often unattractive such a look is outside of the competition area.

Personally, I would be pleased to look as good as either Serge or Vince or a host of other bodybuilders from that time period. There are still bodybuilders with what I consider good builds today, but they aren't competing in the heavyweight classes and they aren't winning the big prizes.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2014, 04:30:30 AM »
Yeah man he was. I mean read some of his later quotes and decide for youself....

"Nope.

Might as well paint a nipple on a volleyball.  Nothing against anyone else's personal choice....but the name says it all for me ...its  a  FAKE TIT."

"How so ?  they are real muscles.  The comparison you are looking for is Synthol. which I don't need because I have world class genetics"

"lets see your perfect physique. at least I have strong points , what do you have ?

"Good enough to be a mr olympia.

I didn't realize all you guys were perfect with no weak points "

just saw this

funniest non acknowledged post ever  ;D
T

The Onion

• Getbig III
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2014, 05:11:25 AM »
Primemuscle, not entirely sure that we're on the same page, or even in the same book, as far as this discussion goes but I'll leave it at that.

We do however seem to have some similar preferences when it comes to bodybuilding physiques, apart from Vince - I just don't find him that impressive.  ;D

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2014, 07:17:34 AM »
 :o top guy from 40's vacuum vs top guy from 2000 vacuum. progress ???? your call.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2014, 07:19:15 AM »
 ::)
F

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • significantly cheaper and federally legal
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2014, 08:28:31 AM »
"thegaystranger" seems to prefer hairy top-bears

thulsaDOOM210

• Getbig III
  • Enlightenment is my DOOM
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2014, 08:39:03 AM »
just saw this

funniest non acknowledged post ever  ;D

:-*

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2014, 09:14:30 AM »
The special thing about Gironda's physique was that there was nothing special about any body part., nothing stood out or seems out of place.  Everything just seems to balance and have harmony together. More of a classic type of body. Would guess the average man on the street would rather look like Gironda than the mass monsters of today.Of course with younger men, it's all about muscle mass (usually pumped or the bloated look). Older, and experience men, understand BB'ing is about the importance of the aesthetic look. When there is flow and harmony from one body part to another. He did very well for a smaller light boned man. Not sure of his bwt, back in his era, but guessing around 155-160...some of the old times maybe could answer that?

Gironda stressed delts/shoulder width, narrow waist and calves. It was all about illusion of width and the standout development of the calves. Think his flaw was not understand the importance of well developed abs that can be important in a classic look.. Traps distracted from the illusion of shoulder with, so were avoided, I had been told.

Never meet Mr. Gironda (way before my time), but have know a few old timers who have. A couple worked out at his North Hollywood (or was that Studio City?) gym on Ventura. Married 3 or 4 times I believe and in later years had money and drinking problems. Alimony, support, etc. among the problems. If anything, he was very, very inventive with exercises and diets (no or zero carbs...meat/eggs). Still has a influence on modern day BB'ing. His course are worth a look, if only to get a sense of where he was coming from.
F

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2014, 05:04:35 PM »

Wow that is a hideous picture of 'Big Greg' 
And yes i know it's not A Good pic of greg.
Jezus though it's almost enough to make
you want to stop training.
Vince for the Win in that comparison.
Also defiantly Wider than Heath.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2014, 10:18:06 PM »
Call it the Superhero syndrome and the bigger is better effect.

I'll take Vince's physique any day. Much healthier and clothes actually fit in the event you don't want to spend the rest of your life in a thong.
I agree