Author Topic: Online rants, anti-government radicals fuel fear of U.S. cop killings  (Read 6037 times)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Re: Online rants, anti-government radicals fuel fear of U.S. cop killings
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2014, 06:22:18 AM »
I think this is the heart and soul of the problem, right here. "Most citizens ARE guilty", right there youve automaticallu told ue you view most citizens as criminals and then went on to say its because you think they resent your authority.

That is a major issue. Im surealmost ALL ci tizens are guilty of breaking minor laws everyday,  just as im sure almost every police officer breaks minor laws and rules everday. That doesnt make them guilty or criminals, it makes them human.

Looking at citizens like theyre mostly guilty is what makes them resent you. It sets you apart from them and you cease being protectors and public servants and automatically become the asshole whos just trying to bust people to make his precinct some cash.

Yes, most citizens are dumbass hypocrites, but you signed up for the thankless job of protecting them, and thats what police seem to forget. Its your Outlook and attitude as an officer that defines you, that causes people to like the police or hate them.

You look at them like theyre probably all bad guys and they're going to look right back at you like YOURE the bad guy, because you just made yourself the antagonist and enemy of a person who, statistically speaking,  has done nothing worthy of your suspicion.

My post was a reverse/parody of his post. Those are not my opinions

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2014, 06:26:51 AM »
how many of the people attacking the police in this thread have been subject to police brutality

its the most thankless job in the world

everyone is an armchair expert and has an opinion on how to do the job better

everyone wants the police to do nothing except when they are the victim and they expect the opposite

just as an example

I had a guy that attacked me with a samurai sword it was sheer luck I wasn't killed

when I overpowered him a crowd gathered and started giving me shit

no one helped

you get the police force you deserve

generation nothing deserves fuck all
T

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2014, 06:28:25 AM »
Some citizen was just recently acquitted of killing an officer in a no knock entry at the wrong house. Can't remember where, read it the other day.

When I go to sleep at night, I know I am not subject to a surprise visit by the cops because I am not engaged in criminal activity. If I were to suddenly be awakened by a crashing door there is a good chance my first thought would not be "Oh hell, it's the cops" and there is a very good chance someone would get shot. In the case mentioned, without knowing all the facts, if the cops made entry into the wrong house and someone died because of it, it shouldn't be the innocent party. It's tragic in any event but that is the risk the police take and in this case, I would agree with the verdict.   

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2014, 06:32:24 AM »
how many of the people attacking the police in this thread have been subject to police brutality

its the most thankless job in the world

everyone is an armchair expert and has an opinion on how to do the job better

everyone wants the police to do nothing except when they are the victim and they expect the opposite

just as an example

I had a guy that attacked me with a samurai sword it was sheer luck I wasn't killed

when I overpowered him a crowd gathered and started giving me shit

no one helped

you get the police force you deserve

generation nothing deserves fuck all

This is a time when recording a violent act is more important than helping someone. We do seem to have a problem with todays society. But.....I remind myself that the majority of times people do jump in and do the right thing doesn't make it to youtube. In my opinion, the vast majority of citizens are hard working good people whether they speak up in the media or just go about their business..and they deserve a good police force   

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2014, 07:47:48 AM »
I can't speak for every department but in Austin with a force of about 1800 officers and a city with over a million folks counting the suburbs we don't have regular officers geared up. All officers performing search warrants are tactically trained on dynamic entry. I understand the reasoning behind no knock entry. I would never make the call that officers have to announce their presence in every case. However, before a no knock entry is done, they better be 100% sure that is the right address and they have a legitimate reason for doing it. In the event entry is made at the wrong address due to negligence on their part, regardless of the outcome, I would advocate termination. If the outcome was injury to an innocent party, then charges. 
I dont think the majority of police are the problem. I think there are a lot of officers though that get an 'us vs them' mentality (as I noted earlier, although I believe your post was more in jest), and this mentality is noted by citizens creating this attitude of resentment and mistrust, especially with the onset of militarization of more and more police departments...

People are starting to view you less and less as protectors of the public, and more as over zealous disciplinarians who are just waiting for you to screw up so that they can punish you, which in turna makes you feel resented and you look at citizens with
mistrust. Its a viscious circle and someone has to be the bigger man; and we both known its not going to be the average citizen. As an officer, its their duty to not let the negativity of the job twist and corrupt their outlook on the citizens theyre supposed to be protecting.

Thats the difference imo, between and officer and a thug with a badge

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2014, 07:53:40 AM »
Gee. This fear-mongering wouldn't have anything to do with powerful LEO unions, and ever-increasing police budgets would it?  ::)   

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2014, 08:06:33 AM »
I dont think the majority of police are the problem. I think there are a lot of officers though that get an 'us vs them' mentality (as I noted earlier, although I believe your post was more in jest), and this mentality is noted by citizens creating this attitude of resentment and mistrust, especially with the onset of militarization of more and more police departments...

People are starting to view you less and less as protectors of the public, and more as over zealous disciplinarians who are just waiting for you to screw up so that they can punish you, which in turna makes you feel resented and you look at citizens with
mistrust. Its a viscious circle and someone has to be the bigger man; and we both known its not going to be the average citizen. As an officer, its their duty to not let the negativity of the job twist and corrupt their outlook on the citizens theyre supposed to be protecting.

A lot of this is also fueled by the ever-increasing federal and state code which is rapidly making felons out of everyone for just going about their lives. The government at all levels wishes to have a reason to arrest anybody, anytime and they have bloated the penal code to give them that power.

And yes, the automatic assumption that Agnostic made that everybody is a criminal is a direct result of this. Is it any wonder that police feel justified on serving every warrant with a flash-bang and a company-sized invasion?

I am just saying that the public notices and the citizens of our country are able to do something about it.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2014, 08:08:01 AM »
My post was a reverse/parody of his post. Those are not my opinions
I know, but I think that satirical opinion is more common amongst officers than you think.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2014, 09:14:20 AM »
I've mentioned the book Corruption of the Noble Cause before. I read it and the author, thought I don't agree with his position on everything, I think does a good job of painting how something like Rampart can and did happen. 99% of the things cops do wrong aren't about taking bribes or illegal activities but grew from a warped sense of the noble cause. Catch the bad guy, and if you have to fudge a little to do it, it's all for the greater good. The public wants us to get the criminals off the street. Cops want to get the criminals off the street. The corruption starts in the first few years of their career when the seasoned officers teach the rookies how to fudge just a little to make sure the bad guy does time. Courts and the system these days are weighed for the bad guy, or at least the perception exists when the same officer is putting the same burglar away every 3 months. They spend so much time re-arresting the same 20% of the population they figure to even it out a bit. Then it snow balls into what you see on CNN. Then of course there are the thugs in uniform that were going to be abusive A holes no matter what. Unfortunately we hire from the population and even with the best efforts of finding the best people, a psycho gets through. I am optimistic that the scrutiny that exists today will be positive in the end by requiring departments who don't screen much at all, and don't train their officers properly to change their ways.    
You epitomise why police are hated.  They are flat out hypocrites, police justify committing crimes (fudging) to lock up so called criminals.  Modern Day Police are nothing more than an organised crime syndicate, a highly organised one.  Most peoples lives are far more negatively impacted by Police than by so called criminals.   You can spin your Police propaganda anyway you like, the public know the truth, and this is why they fear the Police far more than any organised crime gang.  

Your cute little story before about everyone being guilty and they just want to do whatever they like because of a dysfunctional upbringing is just you projecting the very reasons people become Police, they resented authority growing up and want to find a way to BECOME that authority so they believe they can place the shoe on the other foot.  I have known many policeman, none that I would say were psychologically healthy, some of them outright psychopathic and all of them had strict, dysfunctional upbringings.

The General public can be relied upon for honest feedback, and if they hate and despise the Police, you can bet your bottom dollar there is good reason for it.  The Police have earned every skerrick of that hatred and resentment ten times over.  But due to the self righteous and we can do no wrong attitude of the Police they never address the Public's complaints as they are blind to see their own failings due to this warped worldview they have, Police Good, everyone else bad.
V

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2014, 11:24:02 AM »

Good post. I've seen the us vs them mentality and I've avoided it myself and tried to teach new officers better. I've had a partial qoute from Sir Robert Peel, considered a founding father of modern policing in my signature line at work for years. "The police are the public and the public are the police" He goes on to say "the police being the only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to the duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence." 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2014, 11:25:48 AM »
A lot of this is also fueled by the ever-increasing federal and state code which is rapidly making felons out of everyone for just going about their lives. The government at all levels wishes to have a reason to arrest anybody, anytime and they have bloated the penal code to give them that power.

And yes, the automatic assumption that Agnostic made that everybody is a criminal is a direct result of this. Is it any wonder that police feel justified on serving every warrant with a flash-bang and a company-sized invasion?

I am just saying that the public notices and the citizens of our country are able to do something about it.

Why do you believe the government at all levels wishes to have a reason to arrest anybody anytime?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2014, 11:27:58 AM »
You epitomise why police are hated.  They are flat out hypocrites, police justify committing crimes (fudging) to lock up so called criminals.  Modern Day Police are nothing more than an organised crime syndicate, a highly organised one.  Most peoples lives are far more negatively impacted by Police than by so called criminals.   You can spin your Police propaganda anyway you like, the public know the truth, and this is why they fear the Police far more than any organised crime gang.  

Your cute little story before about everyone being guilty and they just want to do whatever they like because of a dysfunctional upbringing is just you projecting the very reasons people become Police, they resented authority growing up and want to find a way to BECOME that authority so they believe they can place the shoe on the other foot.  I have known many policeman, none that I would say were pysholigally healthy, some of them outright psychopathic and all of them had strict, dysfunctional upbringings.

The General public can be relied upon for honest feedback, and if they hate and despise the Police, you can bet your bottom dollar there is good reason for it.  The Police have earned every skerrick of that hatred and resentment ten times over.  But due to the self righteous and we can do no wrong attitude of the Police they never address the Public's complaints as they are blind to see their own failings due to this warped worldview they have, Police Good, everyone else bad.

And you sir, underscore the point there is no talking to some people. They are so ate up with hate they aren't rational. Fortunately they are a very small percentage

Fuzzy Nuts

« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2014, 05:55:32 PM »

Your cute little story before about everyone being guilty and they just want to do whatever they like because of a dysfunctional upbringing is just you projecting the very reasons people become Police, they resented authority growing up and want to find a way to BECOME that authority so they believe they can place the shoe on the other foot.  I have known many policeman, none that I would say were pysholigally healthy, some of them outright psychopathic and all of them had strict, dysfunctional upbringings.

100%
I don't believe there is one cop out there, who's been on the job a while, that hasn't lied, fabricated, used excessive force and violated peoples rights. I have had a couple cops perjure themselves over a stupid speeding ticket. I'm far more worried about the cops than criminals.

I cannot think of a scenario where I would need the police. If anything serious ever happened they show up when it's over and stand around with the rest of the dept.

I could say a lot more, but will refrain for now.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2014, 06:20:26 PM »
Why do you believe the government at all levels wishes to have a reason to arrest anybody anytime?

Obedience.

Deacon Jeschin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2014, 06:20:45 PM »
100%
I don't believe there is one cop out there, who's been on the job a while, that hasn't lied, fabricated, used excessive force and violated peoples rights. I have had a couple cops perjure themselves over a stupid speeding ticket. I'm far more worried about the cops than criminals.

I cannot think of a scenario where I would need the police. If anything serious ever happened they show up when it's over and stand around with the rest of the dept.

I could say a lot more, but will refrain for now.

They are ALLOWED to lie when questioning someone. That's why you DO NOT talk to them.....EVER.  Get an attorney.

If you need proof that this is true, watch any time a cop is busted for something.  They will clam up and lawyer up quicker than it takes to unbutton the chief's pants come promotion time.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2014, 06:24:03 PM »

Very rich. Silliest I've seen in years.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2014, 06:44:04 PM »
I appreciate that's your opinion. I think you're way off base. We can agree to disagree. But let me respond in like manner to perhaps illustrate how your post looks to me;

The only problem is, most citizens are guilty. They lie, cheat, steal and when they get caught they whine about consequences. They want the protection of the police, they want police to enforce the laws but only for other people, not them. They hate being told no when they want to do something illegal and so they cry and point fingers at the cops because even as children, they resented their parents, teachers, anyone in authority and view the police as the people telling them they can't do whatever they want. 

We most certainly disagree. sir

Let Me tell you how your post looks / reads to Me & Many others.

Lets skirt around the issue that some police are Bang out of order
& blame the Public for being at fault and causing all the problems.

Now let me say first off I believe that the public & the police should have the same level of punishment for the same crime
unless it is an abuse of power or position then it should be greater, as in any job where they are abused.

Also that a scum-bag, bully, murderer is the same no matter what job they do.

I am in no way trying to protect or make excuses for them what is wrong is wrong.

I hope this is clear enough for you too not misconstrue.

please deal with the issues raised by people on here,
maybe even answer these questions

1. why should the police be treated differently to general public. A crime is a crime is it not regardless of who commits it.
The punishment should be the same.

2. Do you truly believe that the general public are not being made criminals by ever increasing laws regarding every aspect
of every day life.

3. Do police ever cover up for each other. police investigating police, really like that is a very unbiased system that is going to work.
do you really have faith in that.

4. police never lie, fabricate evidence, with hold evidence, steal, beat or murder people.

No matter how big or small the percentage in the police service is (as in the general public) they need routing out and dealing with.
not side lining, covering up, or excuses.

I see it as you sir who cannot or will not accept that there is some thing wrong.
Hence you are part of the problem.
You have completely ignored or tried to run rough shod over so many very accurate and good posts.
Not once acknowledging there is a problem.

We all know there are problems & some big problems with some people in society.
only not anyone in the police.

I may be wrong with this one,
Isn't it that you are 8 times more likely to Die in the hands of police,
than you are from a terrorist attack... yet look at the ridiculous level of security at airports.

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2014, 07:13:42 PM »

"Cooperate and you will not be harmed" its as simple as that. Not everybody wants protection from the police , they feel they have to force it upon people which is extortion.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2014, 07:43:47 PM »
"Cooperate and you will not be harmed" its as simple as that. Not everybody wants protection from the police , they feel they have to force it upon people which is extortion.

All tax-based entities are extortion to a degree. Shitty schools, lazy road workers, welfare junkies, etc. Most don't really want to pay for that shit either, but we're forced to. Nothing new there.

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2014, 08:06:00 PM »
All tax-based entities are extortion to a degree. Shitty schools, lazy road workers, welfare junkies, etc. Most don't really want to pay for that shit either, but we're forced to. Nothing new there.

No not news but  I good reminder that most of our money we earn goes to things we don't even want LOL.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2014, 11:04:20 AM »

We most certainly disagree. sir

Let Me tell you how your post looks / reads to Me & Many others.

Lets skirt around the issue that some police are Bang out of order
& blame the Public for being at fault and causing all the problems.

Now let me say first off I believe that the public & the police should have the same level of punishment for the same crime
unless it is an abuse of power or position then it should be greater, as in any job where they are abused.

Also that a scum-bag, bully, murderer is the same no matter what job they do.

I am in no way trying to protect or make excuses for them what is wrong is wrong.

I hope this is clear enough for you too not misconstrue.

please deal with the issues raised by people on here,
maybe even answer these questions

1. why should the police be treated differently to general public. A crime is a crime is it not regardless of who commits it.
The punishment should be the same. I disagree. If an officer commits a crime he or she should be held to a higher standard and the consequences more severe

2. Do you truly believe that the general public are not being made criminals by ever increasing laws regarding every aspect
of every day life. if you define a speeder as a criminal then yes, and some laws I certainly don't see any need for. But some new laws are created because there are new ways to harm others.

3. Do police ever cover up for each other. police investigating police, really like that is a very unbiased system that is going to work.
do you really have faith in that.speaking for my department, I have faith in it. We have a civilian Police Monitor office that works in conjunction with the I.A. investigators to make sure the citizens complaints are taken seriously. I can't speak for other departments but I believe there have been instances of cover up  

4. police never lie, fabricate evidence, with hold evidence, steal, beat or murder people.some have, certainly

No matter how big or small the percentage in the police service is (as in the general public) they need routing out and dealing with.
not side lining, covering up, or excuses.we agree on this

I see it as you sir who cannot or will not accept that there is some thing wrong.
Hence you are part of the problem.I see you haven't been reading my posts if you have concluded that
You have completely ignored or tried to run rough shod over so many very accurate and good posts.

We all know there are problems & some big problems with some people in society.
only not anyone in the police.

I may be wrong with this one,
Isn't it that you are 8 times more likely to Die in the hands of police,
than you are from a terrorist attack... yet look at the ridiculous level of security at airports.

I disagree. If an officer commits a crime he or she should be held to a higher standard and the consequences more severe

of every day life.

if you define a speeder as a criminal then yes, and some laws I certainly don't see any need for. But some new laws are created because there are new ways to harm others.

speaking for my department, I have faith in it. We have a civilian Police Monitor office that works in conjunction with the I.A. investigators to make sure the citizens complaints are taken seriously. I can't speak for other departments but I believe there have been instances of cover up 

4. police never lie, fabricate evidence, with hold evidence, steal, beat or murder people.

some have, certainly

we agree on this

I see you haven't been reading my posts if you have concluded that

Again.. you apparently haven't read what I have written

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2014, 11:54:30 AM »

I disagree. If an officer commits a crime he or she should be held to a higher standard and the consequences more severe

of every day life.

if you define a speeder as a criminal then yes, and some laws I certainly don't see any need for. But some new laws are created because there are new ways to harm others.

speaking for my department, I have faith in it. We have a civilian Police Monitor office that works in conjunction with the I.A. investigators to make sure the citizens complaints are taken seriously. I can't speak for other departments but I believe there have been instances of cover up  

some have, certainly

we agree on this

Absolutely! Being poor/less rich has now been totally institutionalized/pathologized. This will only get worse as the income divide widens, as it will. The police will always side with who pays them, and they will increasingly become more and more a tool for the wealthy to wield. Hey, I get it: enjoy your powers, pensions, and unaccountability, but sell your union LEO bullshit elsewhere.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2014, 12:41:38 PM »
Absolutely! Being poor/less rich has now been totally institutionalized/pathologized. This will only get worse as the income divide widens, as it will. The police will always side with who pays them, and they will increasingly become more and more a tool for the wealthy to wield. Hey, I get it: enjoy your powers, pensions, and unaccountability, but sell your union LEO bullshit elsewhere.

You may view it as LEO bullshit and that saddens me a bit, however I will continue to give my opinions and views here. Hope that's ok with you

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2014, 01:02:42 PM »
You may view it as LEO bullshit and that saddens me a bit, however I will continue to give my opinions and views here. Hope that's ok with you
How could it not.     :)

/let's just try to be *kinda* truthful is all.
//lotsa friends in the prison system. but that is a whole, new, ball of wax contention 

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2014, 03:07:02 PM »

of every day life.

some have, certainly

we agree on this

How do you manage to get that....
 I have not read or understood your posts.

As you have very begrudgingly had to agree with all my points
although trying all the time to defend & minimise police actions
when they are wrong.
Did you not read OMR post about I.A in New York & how they have
been superseded as they are not trust worthy.

Also no response to my last quote about police caused deaths V terrorist caused deaths.
not surprising really.

I think we can concluded that you have admitted that there are issues with the police service
even if you see them as minor problems & we see them as big problems.

Thank you for your admissions & agreement.
No matter how small or begrudging,
I see that as a step in the right direction.

And yes i am some one who has witnessed & suffered at the hands
of police malpractice.
Thank fully some of them were brought to account.