Author Topic: Traps with Back or shoulders ?  (Read 4775 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Traps with Back or shoulders ?
« on: July 16, 2014, 04:12:46 AM »
now then People.. I know the Traps are infact "back" but me myself i let them get hit indirectly from Deads or Stiff deads and other movements and concentrate on them more with shoulders. i was giving this some thought last night in my leg Training as i was getting ready to do stiff Deads. Stiff deads i am doing for a Change instead of Standard Deads. will wait and see if my traps suffer in any way or form. Indeed i even have started raising the Dumbbells higher than shoulder height on laterals for delts. Even starting my chest workout on Monday with incline press gave me a great shoulder/trap pump. Maybe i´m thinking too much... ;D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Traps with Back or shoulders ?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 04:23:44 AM »
Gironda tips here on shoulders... The Bradford press is nice and i must admit i have only used it a couple of times. Not a fan of press behind the neck but good constant Tension on all heads of the Delts and Traps(Indirect).
http://bodybuilding-mauritius.blogspot.de/2013/03/the-iron-guru-series-gironda-shoulder.html

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 05:26:56 PM »
99% of the time I hit traps with shoulders.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 04:33:06 AM »
Why not throw back, lateral & rear delts & traps in one workout?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 04:59:54 AM »
Why not throw back, lateral & rear delts & traps in one workout?
I know what you are saying but i like to Train shoulders alone. I like to have some overlap so muscles are trained 2x a week, direct and indirect. Shrugs, upright rows i like more on shoulder day. Nothing wrong with what you´re saying but for me at least the smaller muscle Group(s) tend to suffer after i Train a big muscle Group hard. Chest +triceps are a good example..i do not like this either.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 05:15:52 AM »
I know what you are saying but i like to Train shoulders alone. I like to have some overlap so muscles are trained 2x a week, direct and indirect. Shrugs, upright rows i like more on shoulder day. Nothing wrong with what you´re saying but for me at least the smaller muscle Group(s) tend to suffer after i Train a big muscle Group hard. Chest +triceps are a good example..i do not like this either.

I get your point, but I also train with a 2x/week frequency; Monday & Thursday all push/extent movements and Tuesday & Friday all pull/curl movements. Most volume goes to my back, legs & chest, so I feel no need to throw much volume in supporting muscle groups (shoulders & arms). A workout is done in 60 mins.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 05:22:12 AM »
I get your point, but I also train with a 2x/week frequency; Monday & Thursday all push/extent movements and Tuesday & Friday all pull/curl movements. Most volume goes to my back, legs & chest, so I feel no need to throw much volume in supporting muscle groups (shoulders & arms). A workout is done in 60 mins.
each to his own.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 05:31:56 AM »
each to his own.

That's right, and now you know my most important reason why I train alone ;)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 09:53:30 AM »
Actually I don't think it really makes that much of a difference. The Traps are a part of the shoulder girdle and also the upper-mid back area, a pivot point for shoulder or back work. The Traps diamond shape is quite functional in either case, it's like holding or linking those two muscle groups together.

You are never going to isolate any muscle group from another, anyhow. Some work traps with shoulders, others with back...your choice. BB'ers tend to over think (or under think) fairly simple exercises protocols If one or the other works best for you, than keep doing it that way.  Or until something better might come along.

Shrugs are the purest form of a direct trap exercise.  The old Hise shrug, perhaps #1 in that regard. Guy's also used the old style calf machine, with the yoke placed on the shoulders, and did shrugging that way...another version of the Hise shrug. Hi-pulls, with a wider grip, an excellent trap movement, as well as hitting the lateral and rear delts, lats/back and biceps. Cleans ranks a close second (my view only).

One of the better mass building compound exercises to hit the traps and back/shoulder area is the BB row & Hi-pull (heard it called different names in different gyms).  Starting with a regular BB row, the bar is raised to about knee height. At that point the upper body begins to slowly raise into a standing position, while the bar is still traveling upwards. At the near  standing position, the bar is being pulled waist high. At a full standing position, continue the pull until the bar is somewhere between the naval and lower rib.

Lower the bar and repeat for 6-9 reps of 2 or 3 sets.  Always keep the bar close to the body when doing this exercise. Almost touching the body actually. Can work up to some very impressive weight with this exercise, the byproduct being more muscle mass.

Good Luck.
F

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 09:26:28 PM »
Both.  8)

Hit traps twice a week - one heavy and one light.
A