Author Topic: Getting a DUI for riding a bike while drunk?  (Read 3720 times)

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
Getting a DUI for riding a bike while drunk?
« on: July 17, 2014, 03:31:26 PM »
If I get real drunk and make my way home on my bike, am I at risk of being cited for a DUI?  I live in Illinois, for reference.

Google searches are inconclusive....only found a few specific mentions for riding a bike while intoxicated for California.

Please help getbiggers :)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Re: Getting a DUI for riding a bike while drunk?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 03:35:31 PM »
Knowing nothing about the laws pertaining to that I would imagine some asshole cop might try to write you a ticket for DUI on a bicycle just to have a good story for his other jerk off cop buddies but I have a hard time believing a jury of 6 or 12 of your peers would unanimously find you guilty of that charge.

I would assume worst case scenario you lawyer up with a good attorney and it costs you a few bucks to get it tossed.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 03:36:50 PM »
In Ireland cops ignore drunk cyclists but as a driver it pisses me off these beardy girls and hippies in long dresses with baskets at the front of bikes weaving in and out of cycle lanes with impunity risking going under the wheels of any vehicle.

woodman

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 03:39:21 PM »
Retired LE( ok go ahead cheese balls let me have it..17 years in south Bronx,NYC. 5 years undercover)  in the penal law it states operating a motor vehicle while impaired..bike does not fit statute of a motor vehicle,although don't know how tolerant other places are of public intoxication( this could be of concern of some lame yahoo cop)

HavoX

• Getbig IV
  • Shamed by thunderdome
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 03:39:27 PM »
It can be turned into an O.U.I.- operating under the influence.

Where I'm from that's how they get around bikes, lawnmowers, golf carts, etc

A dude even got one on his electric wheelchair... Later got dropped to public intoxication.

Simple Simon

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 03:40:20 PM »

Alpine

• Getbig III
  • That which does not kill us makes us stronger.
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 03:46:43 PM »
If I get real drunk and make my way home on my bike, am I at risk of being cited for a DUI?  I live in Illinois, for reference.

Google searches are inconclusive....only found a few specific mentions for riding a bike while intoxicated for California.

The answer is YES and NO. You will not get arrested for DUI because a bicycle does not fit the state statutes definition of motor vehicle. At most, you could get cited with public intox. However, you can very well be arrested for being black. Hope this helps.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 04:01:40 PM »
Just take a taxi, hope this helps.

HavoX

• Getbig IV
  • Shamed by thunderdome

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 06:28:08 PM »
Retired LE( ok go ahead cheese balls let me have it..17 years in south Bronx,NYC. 5 years undercover)  in the penal law it states operating a motor vehicle while impaired..bike does not fit statute of a motor vehicle,although don't know how tolerant other places are of public intoxication( this could be of concern of some lame yahoo cop)

No, believe it or not a bike is federally Department of Transportation classified as a vehicle when operated on a roadway as strange as that sounds. Therefore it has to comply with all state motor vehicle laws including DWI or DUI depending upon state. Yes, in you can arrest a guy for operating a bike while being under the influence of an intoxicating beverage or drugs.

That chart above in my opinion is wrong and misleading.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 06:31:29 PM »
I`ve ridden a bike while hammered.......took me about 2 years to make it home.....fell in busy traffic about 50 fucking times.  ;D

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 06:46:33 PM »
No, believe it or not a bike is federally Department of Transportation classified as a vehicle when operated on a roadway as strange as that sounds. Therefore it has to comply with all state motor vehicle laws including DWI or DUI depending upon state. Yes, in you can arrest a guy for operating a bike while being under the influence of an intoxicating beverage or drugs.

See, so much conflicting information.... could I call the local police department and ask?  Would they give me an honest answer ???

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 06:55:17 PM »

Well oldtimer1, here's another chart for ya :)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 07:00:33 PM »
Just take a taxi, hope this helps.
this...its not worth the trouble of a ticket or getting arrested.

Take a taxi

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 07:33:19 PM »
If I get real drunk and make my way home on my bike, am I at risk of being cited for a DUI?  I live in Illinois, for reference.

depends on the state.

but generally speaking, yes, you can get a DUI.

some states you can still get a DUI while riding a horse.

one state in particular just repealed the law about 4yrs ago since the horse is a living animal and has a "mind of it's own" and you're 'technically' not in control or another live animal... or something like that.

you can get a DUI on a lawn mower... and on a golf cart... and on a tractor.

D.O.A.

• Getbig IV
  • Revenge is a dish best served ice cold
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 07:55:32 PM »
Of course you can get a DUI. Just like you can get a ticket for being drunk in public.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 08:31:05 PM »
Yes, they can, but it'd more like like public intoxication or something....

just walk the bike if you see a car coming far away.

and don't be in the street dangerously.  If you're on the sidewalk, youre just someone who had a few drinks getting home.  If you're in and out of traffic on your Huffy, you're fcking up that cop's day eventually, so he'll fck up yours too.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 08:53:25 PM »
Yes, they can, but it'd more like like public intoxication or something....

just walk the bike if you see a car coming far away.

and don't be in the street dangerously.  If you're on the sidewalk, youre just someone who had a few drinks getting home.  If you're in and out of traffic on your Huffy, you're fcking up that cop's day eventually, so he'll fck up yours too.

no it's not... a DUI is a DUI.

doesn't matter if you're on the street or the sidewalk.. if you're on a bike and the state considers it a DUI, you're getting charged.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “No no. Down here, Louie.”
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 09:01:31 PM »

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2014, 09:56:58 PM »
In Ireland cops ignore drunk cyclists but as a driver it pisses me off these beardy girls and hippies in long dresses with baskets at the front of bikes weaving in and out of cycle lanes with impunity risking going under the wheels of any vehicle.

in australia you get done DUI on a bicycle...no different to a car or any other vehicle.

and they can get you in your driveway too. if u are on your phone in a car and the keys are in the ignition, even if it is off, you also get fined.

true story.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2014, 09:58:22 PM »
no it's not... a DUI is a DUI.

doesn't matter if you're on the street or the sidewalk.. if you're on a bike and the state considers it a DUI, you're getting charged.

Right, but does my state consider it a dui? That's all I wanna know

If all I'm risking is a ticket, then I don't care, but I don't wanna get hit w a felony for riding my bike while drunk

EDIT: my state being Illinois

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2014, 10:06:51 PM »

If all I'm risking is a ticket, then I don't care, but I don't wanna get hit w a felony for riding my bike while drunk

the chart shows the evolution of where states are at in terms of testing the legislation. its only a matter of time before DUI applies to any vehicle. Why dont you test it in your state?

law always evolves this way..someone pushes the rules and causes damage or financial loss to another.. at some point this becomes unacceptable and the government decides to police it.

there's no way that over time itll be LESS likely to be done for DUI..as time will just mean more losses due to intoxicated cyclists. eventually itll be law in every state.

you might be the last straw where you are. or you might get lucky and only be part of the start of the change.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2014, 10:08:21 PM »

it wouldn't be a felony if it's not your 3rd DUI.

first 2 dui's within 10yrs are Class 1 misdemeanors. usually max 1yr county jail, but that's MAX.. hardly anybody ever does more than 10days (if ANY days) in jail over a dui.  

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2014, 10:12:37 PM »
it wouldn't be a felony if it's not your 3rd DUI.

first 2 dui's within 10yrs are Class 1 misdemeanors. usually max 1yr county jail, but that's MAX.. hardly anybody ever does more than 10days (if ANY days) in jail over a dui.  

Hmmm you raise an interesting point.  All the same, I'm gonna try and ask a police officer to see what he'll say..... stand by for my findings 8)

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2014, 10:20:37 PM »
felony = prison

misdemeanor = county jail.

honestly, 1yr in prison is better than 6months in county jail.

better food, better living conditions, better commissary, "better people". (ppl in county jail know they're gonna get out sooner, so they tend to run their mouths.. ppl in prison know neither of you are going anywhere for a while, and you'll get your hands on them eventually, whether it takes 6 months or 50months)

.. that being said, best try to avoid both felonies and misdemeanors. lol