Author Topic: Armed Dr saves coworkers after psych patient kills caseworker  (Read 2805 times)

chixlegs

• Getbig III
Re: Armed Dr saves coworkers after psych patient kills caseworker
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2014, 07:37:22 AM »
It's all theoretical until someone sticks a gun in the face of someone you love.

It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes.  "A Democrat is a Republican who hasn't been mugged yet"
Utter crap.  I have worked in the housing projects in New Orleans as well as doing social work in the worst part of San Francisco.  I've lived in very violent neighborhoods and I've never carried a gun, nor do I want one.  I have had people threaten me plenty of times.  I'm just not so scared of it all that I'm going to change my life and start carrying a gun around with me everytime I do to a movie or go to get a cup of coffee at dunkin donuts.  When that happens, you've lost.

Remember what Rambo said...."I've always thought the best weapon was the mind".  Have we learned nothing from Rambo????

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2014, 08:04:23 AM »
Utter crap.  I have worked in the housing projects in New Orleans as well as doing social work in the worst part of San Francisco.  I've lived in very violent neighborhoods and I've never carried a gun, nor do I want one.  I have had people threaten me plenty of times.  I'm just not so scared of it all that I'm going to change my life and start carrying a gun around with me everytime I do to a movie or go to get a cup of coffee at dunkin donuts.  When that happens, you've lost.

Remember what Rambo said...."I've always thought the best weapon was the mind".  Have we learned nothing from Rambo????

no, if everyone had a gun no one would shoot anyone. Obviously a suicidal maniac is going to think twice about shooting people if they have guns right? I mean he is logical and rational in that moment. I am sure more guns would have detered him.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2014, 08:29:52 AM »
I've always wanted to shoot someone.  I don't think I'm alone in that.  Killing is a perfectly natural human drive.  You probably come from a long line of murdering bastards.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2014, 08:56:41 AM »
I've always wanted to shoot someone.  I don't think I'm alone in that.  Killing is a perfectly natural human drive.  You probably come from a long line of murdering bastards.

you might be a sociopath.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2014, 09:42:45 AM »
Nah, I think it's ok to be honest about stuff.  Everyone has feelings that range from the pink & fuzzy to the bloodsoaked.  Not saying we should act on them but the unnatural thing is to believe you're supposed to think and feel only within bookends.  I don't accept that.  It leads a lot of people to become convinced there's something wrong about themselves when there isn't.  Good for the pharmaceutical business but not so good for the actual mental health thing imo. 

So yeah, that and more depending on what criteria of diagnoses are applied.  We all are.  If I'm being honest tho, most of these maladies seem to have at their core someone operating out of a self interested agenda without the counterbalance of empathy.  I don't really have an agenda.  I quite enjoy not wanting anything from people.  I enjoy even more people who don't want anything from me. Feels like freedom.  Well, except for business relationships where I'm as mercenary as they come.  Otherwise I got empathy out the ass.  Unless I'm angry, but that's ok.  That's what angry means.  Your empathy goes and you want to conk the other guy on the head.  It's a good thing we have that.

Accepting one's self is one of the great benefits of being hopelessly self absorbed.  The basic problem with people today is that they aren't more like I am.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2014, 09:50:23 AM »

Odd, I watched Hostel last night  ;D

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2014, 09:54:27 AM »
Never saw.  Horror movies don't really do it for me.

What I meant is that I've always wanted to kill a Getbigger.  Not one of the good ones tho.  One of the bad ones.

Yes, that is correct. I decide.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2014, 10:24:43 AM »
Nah, I think it's ok to be honest about stuff.  Everyone has feelings that range from the pink & fuzzy to the bloodsoaked.  Not saying we should act on them but the unnatural thing is to believe you're supposed to think and feel only within bookends.  I don't accept that.  It leads a lot of people to become convinced there's something wrong about themselves when there isn't.  Good for the pharmaceutical business but not so good for the actual mental health thing imo. 

So yeah, that and more depending on what criteria of diagnoses are applied.  We all are.  If I'm being honest tho, most of these maladies seem to have at their core someone operating out of a self interested agenda without the counterbalance of empathy.  I don't really have an agenda.  I quite enjoy not wanting anything from people.  I enjoy even more people who don't want anything from me. Feels like freedom.  Well, except for business relationships where I'm as mercenary as they come.  Otherwise I got empathy out the ass.  Unless I'm angry, but that's ok.  That's what angry means.  Your empathy goes and you want to conk the other guy on the head.  It's a good thing we have that.

Accepting one's self is one of the great benefits of being hopelessly self absorbed.  The basic problem with people today is that they aren't more like I am.

never mind psychopath

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2014, 10:43:50 AM »
 ;D 

In all seriosuness, I appreciate your advice many moons ago.  I think not taking drugs was the right course.  The people I know who are on them have really suffered.  It's a cart/horse thing of course but they're in a bad way all the time.  Hard to imagine a worse result without the pharma.

SCRUBS

• Getbig III
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2014, 02:00:54 PM »
Congrats to the doctor.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2014, 05:07:02 AM »
 :
;D 

In all seriosuness, I appreciate your advice many moons ago.  I think not taking drugs was the right course.  The people I know who are on them have really suffered.  It's a cart/horse thing of course but they're in a bad way all the time.  Hard to imagine a worse result without the pharma.

:D

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2014, 05:20:15 AM »
I often see here that guns will protect you against the government blah blah blah. I remember seeing pics from when that guy in Texas I think it was killed 7 of his family - hte vehicles the police used were clearly military vehicles that no civilian gun would endanger.

Lol yes, that's the best, pretending that a rifle will provide oneself with the ability to stand up to the US government.  Nevermind the fact that they'll just shoot a missile from a remote-operated drone

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2014, 12:40:56 PM »
http://gawker.com/doctor-patient-exchange-gunfire-in-deadly-penn-hospit-1610790918

bet the national news doesn't hype this story like all the other mass shootings...

unfortunately the Dr will probably get in trouble for being armed at work even though it prevented a mass tragedy

Philadelphia the city of brotherly love.
F