Author Topic: Question on squats and shoulder cramps.  (Read 1742 times)

lilbg

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Question on squats and shoulder cramps.
« on: February 02, 2006, 07:39:16 PM »
Started doing my last set of squats today and started getting cramps in my shoulder.  This seems to happen every workout.  I assume its becuase I have my arms pulled back to hold the bar.  Any ways around this?  I am almost ready to purchase the Draper Top Squat but its not cheap.  Also.. cardio 2 hours after working legs ok?  This Cardio is low heart rate on the treadmill.  Thanks in advance.

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
Re: Question on squats and shoulder cramps.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 08:04:07 AM »
Cramping in shoulders while squatting......specifica lly where? Deltoids, traps?

Cardio after legs..........it depends on what your motivation is.  Mine is size, so when I do cardio while I am cutting, I don't even do cardio the day I do legs and the day after.

I am assuming your eating between your leg workout and your cardio session, so in a sense your just using what you ate as fuel for your cardio.  If your trying to lose weight I would do something different. 

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 09:13:47 AM »
It just might be the way the arms are positioned when doing squats but after a couple of workout you should be getting better flexability. Could adjust the hand position on the bar to a wider grip. Might try doing 20 reps or so of PBN's with just a empty exercise bar (non Olympic) to warmup the shoulder area and gain more flexability. Could also be how the bar is resting on the shoulders, held high on the traps or lower on the shoulders. Of course there is the possibility of a pinched nerve when the shoulders/arms are held in that position. If you switch to front squats you could rest the bar on the front delt's and after a while not need to hold the bar it's self.  Good Luck.

jpeso

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 10:13:38 AM »
I get shoulder cramps if my grip is too wide... ???

Try moving the grip closer than shoulder width, but make sure the bar is rested on the 'shelf' propoerly, because this grip does less for stability