Author Topic: Front squat pain  (Read 13040 times)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Front squat pain
« on: August 08, 2014, 08:33:16 PM »
When I rerack the weight I get a jarring pain in my lats. Anyone ever experienced this? It's been suggested that I set the weight down too fast. But even when I do it slow I feel tension in the lats?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Wolfox

• Getbig V
Re: Front squat pain
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 11:59:16 PM »
Where exactly in the lats?
A

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 12:41:01 AM »
How is your flexibility ? when the arms are raised forward and high your lats are stretched to a fair degree. I bring my elbows high and the bar sits lightly on my finger tips. crossed arm position i have never liked but might work better for you. Or one of these Manta Ray bar rests for front squats. I would do some lat stretches before you squat.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 06:38:46 AM »
This is what the oldtimers use to do for front squats. If you are a bodybuilder you can just use them all the time. If you want to get better flexibility to olympic clean squat you can from work out to work out move your hands closer to the bar until you can get rid of the straps. The straps used are just common wrist straps that are opened and wrapped around the bar.

Many good Olympic lifters don't have the flexibility to keep their hand closed around the bar and actually open their hands once the bar is cleaned. If the elbows are up the bar has a resting spot.

I suspect you have trouble keeping your elbows up and your lats are almost isometrically contracted. Try using the straps.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 06:40:03 AM »
Straps for front squats

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 07:16:53 AM »
I do the arms crossed style of front squats, flexibility sucks in my wrists. Only time I have any pain in setting the weight down, picking up is not an issue.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 07:22:16 AM »
excuse the video but meant these.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 08:59:17 AM »
Of course I might ask if front squats are a new added exercise or have you been doing them for a while? If having done them in the past, did you experience the same problem? Assuming that both sides of the lats are affected, and not one side over the other? (anything to get Chaos back to his 625lbs 5X20 front squat program again)

Yes, flexibility has a lot to do with the performance of front squats. The triceps (which influences the elbows) also have a lot to do with the holding of the bar.Tight triceps limit of how high the elbows can be raised while holding a bar and getting a well anchored position...as also noted above.   You should never have to use straps or any other device when holding the front squat position. There are a few exceptions for men with a limited ROM and flexibility due to body structure and genetics.

Also might suggest the shoulder girdle may be too tight (not uncommon among BB'ers/lifters...who may think they have no problem in that area). Tight shoulders/traps can lead to some nerve blockage of pathways, causing discomfort and pain. Something to consider when warming up for any exercise. If only one side of the lats....possible nerve blockage.

Massage, Rolfing/Sports massage, with the focus on the traps/neck and shoulder could help. Even spinal adjustments, from the lower back to the neck may help. Think that if most lifters visited their local chiropractor or massage therapist, at least twice a year, some potential problems could be reduced. Traps/neck are the main junction of the nerve pathways, so very important area to take good care of.

Good Luck

F

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 11:39:02 AM »
Shoulder tightness I don't think is an issue, the clean grip hurts my wrists even with only using fingertips. I'm not new to front squats and the pain doesn't last, just jars down my lats. :-\
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 12:10:52 PM »
I do the arms crossed style of front squats, flexibility sucks in my wrists. Only time I have any pain in setting the weight down, picking up is not an issue.

I realize you didn't ask about a lack of wrist, shoulder or elbow flexibility concerning front squats. If you try the strap version as opposed to the arms crossed it might take the cramps and pain out of your lats. 

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 08:20:38 AM »
Not an option for most, but some of my friends (and myself) have done front squats with just the bar resting on the delts/chest and the elbows raised high and arms (around 90 degrees) raised in front. Bar just cradles onto the delts, not really going anywhere.  So any grip is not needed when actually squatting.

Also done front squats with the bar hooked, or cradled, in the bend of the arms. More of a power lift than anything else. Take the bar from the floor or supports.......either way. Don't recommend this movement for the average trainee, advanced or not, but nice to try now and than..

Far as the grip goes, even with the bar on the finger tips, may have a slight carpal tunnel problem. Which, again, relates to nerve blockage. Could try regular hands flat on the ground push ups, as a warmup for the wrist, before front squats. Palm/hand stretches against a wall (also elbow stretches against a wall, door way, etc) There are also martial arts hand flex exercises for the wrist/hands. If you need straps, some very good suggestion by other guys here.

When racking the bar, a feeling of tightness and a jarring comes, suggest a lat/spine flexibility issue. Could apply to the wrist too. Try keeping the wrist warm also.

Good Luck.

F

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 08:07:41 PM »
Just to clarify...mobility is an issue, I acknowledge that, however the pain only happens when I set the bar down.  Pick up, reps...no pain what so ever...setting it down I get a jarring shot down both lats. Arms are crossed, so wrist/elbow/triceps I don't think would be an issue.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 05:57:26 PM »
Solution: Squat down more when reracking the weight.
Had a buddy watch me, my elbows started to drop as I was setting the weight down and it would impact the pins as it rolled off my shoulders. Keep the elbows up and lower the weight with your legs gentlemen! !
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 08:45:50 PM »
BINGO!!!

Guess we kind of assumed you did that already.

Couple of places I worked at, there was a full size mirror in front of the squat rack/cage so common mistakes could be watched for.  Didn't think that would be much of a help at first...but actually kind of handy.

Good Luck.
F

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 08:48:46 PM »
BINGO!!!

Guess we kind of assumed you did that already.

Couple of places I worked at, there was a full size mirror in front of the squat rack/cage so common mistakes could be watched for.  Didn't think that would be much of a help at first...but actually kind of handy.

Good Luck.
Yeah seems I was relaxing my arms too soon before the weight was down. Hard to see the little details yourself sometimes, nice to know people that know what to watch for.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 11:28:14 PM »
How much are you front squatting?
A

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 05:21:01 PM »