Author Topic: Obama promised to not go on vacation if elected POTUS in 2008 - Video  (Read 12671 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Obama promised to not go on vacation if elected POTUS in 2008 - Video
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2014, 05:26:06 PM »
that doesnt explain why it matters if he was a candidate or not then....maybe in your mind it does but in the real world...NOPE

the right wing echo chamber is not the real world

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2014, 05:35:38 PM »
Obama's original statement was silly. Nobody can work without some downtime, especially in jobs where there is high pressure and mental acuity is important. In fact, counterintuitive as it may seem, mentally taxing work requires a lot of downtime because the brain doesn't "spin down" instantly and a good night's sleep won't necessarily help someone who has been doing taxing mental work as much as it would help someone doing taxing physical work.

I find the notion that a President shouldn't be able to go play a round of golf or a game of basketball, to run or ride his bicycle, and to take some time to unwind to be stupid. The President is a human being, like the rest of us. He's not invested with superpowers making him immune to stress and fatigue.

Add to that that the President is never really on vacation anyways, since the office basically travels with and surrounds him at all times, and I don't think much about whether Obama is in the Oval Office, on Air Force 1, in Chicago, Hawaii, or Martha's Vineyard. Same with Bush II before him, and Clinton before that, etc.

But it can certainly look bad, and Obama (like Bush) is looking bad because he does these things at inopportune times and without regard for appearances. I find that weird from an otherwise talented and polished politician.

Beyond that, I see little to outrage me here, except the expense to taxpayers.

I'm not sure anyone is suggesting he shouldn't take vacations.  

I several problems with the kinds of vacations he and his wife have taken:

1.  If we were in the "worst recession since the Great Depression," as he repeatedly said, then he should have led by example and taken less expensive vacations.  Having his wife fly to foreign countries and mainland resorts at taxpayer expense, for example, showed pretty poor judgment.  Traveling to Hawaii in separate planes, just because he can, showed poor judgment.  If he's footing, no problem.  But I don't like paying for that crap.  

2.  He took advantage of perks of the job, in the middle of this great recession.  He never came to Hawaii and stayed in a beachfront house worth in excess of $10 million, on one of the nicest beaches on the planet, before becoming president.  He's from Chicago.  He should have taken his butt to Chicago or had a staycation in DC, like many families do when they are tightening belts during tough economic times.  

3.  Think about this:  if a large company is deeply in debt, laying off employees, cutting salaries, and just having a very difficult time, should the CEO be flaunting numerous golf trips, foreign vacations, Hawaii trips at company expense, etc.?  That kind of CEO would probably get fired by the Board.

4.  I honestly don't think he works hard enough to take numerous vacations during the year.  People (or I should say probably just Soul Crusher lol) have posted articles about the president not attending daily briefings, including intelligence briefings, and overall just not working very hard.  Even some liberals say he has checked out.  

So overall, no problem by me with him taking vacations, but I definitely have a problem with how he went about it.  

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2014, 06:09:14 PM »
the right wing echo chamber is not the real world

neither is the left wing echo chamber there boss....whats your point?

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2014, 06:20:17 PM »
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/08/11/At-Martha-s-Vineyard-Obama-Complains-About-Cold-Ocean

FNG fairy

Hey you worthless Kenyan pos - try to deal w this cold water you illegal alien C UNT! 

Just imagine, you did for free what REAL soldiers actually get paid to do.  Who's the idiot now?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2014, 06:20:33 PM »
neither is the left wing echo chamber there boss....whats your point?

this is not an issue in the left wing

this is non-story being promoted to get the dipshits in the right wing who typically fall for this nonsense  fired up

seems to have worked here on GB.com as our typical cadre of nitwits took the bait  

don't worry, another salvo of meaningless bullshit will follow it soon

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2014, 06:21:51 PM »
this is not an issue in the left wing

this is non-story being promoted to get the dipshits in the right wing who typically fall for this nonsense to fired up

seems to have worked here on GB.com as our typical cadre of nitwits took the bait   

don't worry, another salvo of meaningless bullshit will follow it soon
really so romneys tax returns and his garbage man where legitimate issues for you then?

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2014, 06:24:18 PM »
I agree. But how many vacations does it take considering this guy has the lightest schedule I've ever seen for someone who is supposed to be the "leader" of the free world?

Here is last weeks schedule, one week before his vacation....again. Feel free to scroll back through some months..

http://www.whitehouse.gov/schedule/president/2014-W32

I'm not defending Obama specifically. I'm criticizing his statement which was overbroad and, let's be generous and say poorly phrased.

Specifically on Obama, I would be ok with the guy golfing every weekend if he worked hard and was an effective President, but he doesn't and isn't. He, like others before him, take advantage of the perks of his Office and doesn't stop to think how his actions look because it no longer matters. I think that's pretty fucked up.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2014, 06:24:59 PM »
I'm not sure anyone is suggesting he shouldn't take vacations.  

I several problems with the kinds of vacations he and his wife have taken:

1.  If we were in the "worst recession since the Great Depression," as he repeatedly said, then he should have led by example and taken less expensive vacations.  Having his wife fly to foreign countries and mainland resorts at taxpayer expense, for example, showed pretty poor judgment.  Traveling to Hawaii in separate planes, just because he can, showed poor judgment.  If he's footing, no problem.  But I don't like paying for that crap.  

2.  He took advantage of perks of the job, in the middle of this great recession.  He never came to Hawaii and stayed in a beachfront house worth in excess of $10 million, on one of the nicest beaches on the planet, before becoming president.  He's from Chicago.  He should have taken his butt to Chicago or had a staycation in DC, like many families do when they are tightening belts during tough economic times.  

3.  Think about this:  if a large company is deeply in debt, laying off employees, cutting salaries, and just having a very difficult time, should the CEO be flaunting numerous golf trips, foreign vacations, Hawaii trips at company expense, etc.?  That kind of CEO would probably get fired by the Board.

4.  I honestly don't think he works hard enough to take numerous vacations during the year.  People (or I should say probably just Soul Crusher lol) have posted articles about the president not attending daily briefings, including intelligence briefings, and overall just not working very hard.  Even some liberals say he has checked out.  

So overall, no problem by me with him taking vacations, but I definitely have a problem with how he went about it.  

I agree entirely with you.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2014, 06:40:58 PM »
really so romneys tax returns and his garbage man where legitimate issues for you then?

I don't give a rats ass about anything "Romney"

He's a private citizen

What are the odds you're going to ask me another idiotic and irrelevant question?  

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2014, 06:53:35 PM »
I don't give a rats ass about anything "Romney"

He's a private citizen

What are the odds you're going to ask me another idiotic and irrelevant question? 
hahah you sure did are one time there boss

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2014, 07:30:02 PM »
hahah you sure did are one time there boss

I have no recollection of giving a shit about candidate Romney garbage man

what does that have to do with non-candidate Obama saying the POTUS must give his life to the job

I'll go ahead and answer it for you.......nothing

catracho

• Getbig IV
  • I don't want to be "that guy"!
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2014, 12:35:34 AM »
Vacations?  NO!!  They were just looooooong breaks!!  ;D

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2015, 03:43:33 PM »
He has arguably the most important job in the world. Let the man have some down time.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2015, 03:52:03 PM »
He has arguably the most important job in the world. Let the man have some down time.

I prefer him on vacation just calling out his lies