Author Topic: Rick Santorum GETS IT!  (Read 2293 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Rick Santorum GETS IT!
« on: August 13, 2014, 05:47:28 PM »
Beginning his speech, Santorum said he planned to "do something different" by focusing his speech less on attacking Obama and more on laying out a positive agenda that is necessary if the Republican Party wants to broaden its base.

Ladies and gentleman, what you have right here is a candidate who has the respect of the base + won't make a huge stack of negative, venemous statements which turn off moderate/swing voters..

The "attack obama for everything possible" style of Mccain, Palin, Romney and Paul Ryan was NOT successful in winning over moderates.  I've been saying for a long time - the way repubs win over moderates isn't by running a pissy moderate, but by running a POSITIVE candidate.  One who doesn't spend 24/7 talking about "obama sucks" but rather, talks about what he would do DIFFERENT".   We've all heard "Repeal obamacare" about a million times, but "Replace obamacare with XYZ" was much rarer.  And XYZ was usually something vague and ten years down the road.

Santorum could be on to something here.  The one person onstage that says "Hey, maybe we don't have a 90 minute obama sucks circle-jerk during this debate... maybe we talk about what we SHOULD be doing instead?"   A welcome alternative, unless you were happy with the win percentages of mccain and romney...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Rick Santorum GETS IT!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 06:01:04 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen, what you have is a candidate who will not make it out of the Republican primary (again), who is probably being quoted out of context, and even if he isn't, is providing a roadmap for defeat.  

As anyone who follows politics knows (and isn't a dummy), negative campaigning works.  We saw a very clear example of that in 2012, where Romney, who was head and shoulders more qualified than Obama, was excoriated using Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals.  And it worked.  It always does.  

But Obamabots are a sensitive lot, so I can see why they are having trouble with people repeatedly highlighting the failure of the Obama Administration.  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 06:21:40 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen, what you have is a candidate who will not make it out of the Republican primary (again), who is probably being quoted out of context, and even if he isn't, is providing a roadmap for defeat. 

As anyone who follows politics knows (and isn't a dummy), negative campaigning works.  We saw a very clear example of that in 2012, where Romney, who was head and shoulders more qualified than Obama, was excoriated using Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals.  And it worked.  It always does. 

But Obamabots are a sensitive lot, so I can see why they are having trouble with people repeatedly highlighting the failure of the Obama Administration. 

Your way was tried in 2008 and 2012.  Obama won both elections comfortably. 

When you say "negative campaigning works", I have to ask how well it worked for mccain and romney.   And even in 2000 and 2004, the use of negative campaigning, well, took bush to very very narrow wins.

Obama was completely full of shit, BUT he did act way more positive than his opponents.  People will totally walk away from a candidate they think is cold, nasty, venomous.  It's not attractive. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 06:27:51 PM »
Your way was tried in 2008 and 2012.  Obama won both elections comfortably. 

When you say "negative campaigning works", I have to ask how well it worked for mccain and romney.   And even in 2000 and 2004, the use of negative campaigning, well, took bush to very very narrow wins.

Obama was completely full of shit, BUT he did act way more positive than his opponents.  People will totally walk away from a candidate they think is cold, nasty, venomous.  It's not attractive. 

Only a fool or one wasn't paying attention (or both) would say negative campaigning didn't work for Obama in 2008 and 2012.  It most certainly did. 

Romney didn't demonize Obama and did not use Alinsky's Rules.  Not sure it would have changed the outcome, but it might have made it closer.  All you have to do is go look at the debate performances.  When both parties stuck to the issues, Romney cleaned his clock.  When Obama was panned for his performance and went on the offensive, repeatedly using sarcasm and personal insults, a lot of people thought Obama won, despite the fact he was wrong almost across the board.   

Obama and his minions accused Romney of being a tax cheat, hiding assets in offshore accounts, and all but accused him being responsible for a woman's death who didn't have health insurance.  Those tactics worked. 

You have a lot to learn about political campaigns.  But stick around here.  I'm sure some of the folks who post here can help you learn something.   :)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 07:00:39 PM »
Only a fool or one wasn't paying attention (or both) would say negative campaigning didn't work for Obama in 2008 and 2012.  It most certainly did. 

Romney didn't demonize Obama and did not use Alinsky's Rules.  Not sure it would have changed the outcome, but it might have made it closer.  All you have to do is go look at the debate performances.  When both parties stuck to the issues, Romney cleaned his clock.  When Obama was panned for his performance and went on the offensive, repeatedly using sarcasm and personal insults, a lot of people thought Obama won, despite the fact he was wrong almost across the board.   

Obama and his minions accused Romney of being a tax cheat, hiding assets in offshore accounts, and all but accused him being responsible for a woman's death who didn't have health insurance.  Those tactics worked. 

You have a lot to learn about political campaigns.  But stick around here.  I'm sure some of the folks who post here can help you learn something.   :)

LOL - you've got a weird definition of success if you think the negative campaigning "worked" for McCain and Romney

Also, it's well known that the public is beyond the point of being sick of that shit as well

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 07:08:08 PM »
The problem any Democrat President will have over the next 10 to 15 years is Congress will likely be in the hands of Republicans for at least that duration.

2006 and 2008 was such a fluke from a Congressional Standpoint for Democrats.

A very unpopular war in 06 and a shit economy/unpopular war plus a talented campaigner in Obama in 08 caused many people to vote for Democrats that never had before.

By 2010 the error of their ways was clearly shown and the Democrats suffered massive defeats handing control of Congress over to the Republicans once those same "Usually Republican voters" who voted for Obama realized that he was the shits....since then.....

Republicans have been able to draw the Congressional districts in their favor plus their constituents vote overwhelmingly more than the opposition in midterms which also adds to their advantage.

A Democrat may very well win the Presidency in '17  but it will be almost certainly be inherited with a Republican house, more than likely a Republican Senate and a even more powerful right wing media, the likes of which Obama has had to deal with throughout his Presidency. This isn't the 1990's where you had "The Big 3" and CNN who mostly displayed a liberal bias and you could get away with alot more shit.

Now, if you make a mistake, it's all over Facebook, blogs and most certainly Breitbart and Fox News will put your ass out there on Front Street.

More than anything I think that the problem Obama has faced during his Presidency is The rise of Right wing and social media.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 07:19:12 PM »
Santorum was a sitting US Senator who couldn't hold onto his seat in a state that elects Republicans to the Senate. He then won a few meaningless GOP presidential primaries. His day has long since come and gone. He's irrelevant.

yeah, but in 2006, everyone on the extreme right lost.   just like most in the extreme left (in the GOP) lost in 2010.  Midterms, you know.  Santorum doesn't lose that race in 2010.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 07:49:18 PM »
People who say anything about Huckabee or Santorum being viable contenders worry me. Because they are dead wrong...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 07:54:02 PM »
People who say anything about Huckabee or Santorum being viable contenders worry me. Because they are dead wrong...

Santorum doesn't have a snowball's chance.  Huckabee?  I doubt it, be he's probably more viable than Santorum.  

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 07:59:33 PM »
Look, there's a fairly high probability that Hillary vs Jeb happens...it's a popularity contest after all.

After that who is there? Rand? Rick Perry? Ben Carson? Elizabeth Warren? Biden?

These guys trying to be nice first and conservative second are just looking weak.

We already know what weak leadership looks like...and what perversions it brings to the office and country.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 08:05:23 PM »
I really hope we don't have another Clinton vs. Bush.  Enough already.  It would almost start to look like a two-headed family monarchy.   :-\

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 08:07:36 PM »
Look, there's a fairly high probability that Hillary vs Jeb happens...it's a popularity contest after all.

After that who is there? Rand? Rick Perry? Ben Carson? Elizabeth Warren? Biden?

These guys trying to be nice first and conservative second are just looking weak.

We already know what weak leadership looks like...and what perversions it brings to the office and country.

I just can't see Jeb coming out on top of the 2016 Republican primary.

If you are going the "moderate Republican" angle I would put Christie, Romney and Huckabee all ahead of Jeb.

There is nobody more overhyped, Democrat or Republican, than Jeb Bush.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 08:22:14 PM »
I just can't see Jeb coming out on top of the 2016 Republican primary.

If you are going the " moderate Republican" angle I would put Christie, Romney and Huckabee all ahead of Jeb.

There is nobody more overhyped, Democrat or Republican, than Jeb Bush.

Christie will be eaten alive by the Obama photo opps and he will lose his cool in debates. Romney won't run again, even after he was dead on about foreign policy last time. Huckabee is just annoying in an unwanted guidance counselor sort of way. There's no force in his words. I don't care for Jeb but he has star power and can put on the act at will. In what way would Jeb be more overhyped than Hillary? Being Governor is better than holding positions where nothing was done only to scurry off when some heat comes along.

If the news starts reporting actual economic numbers and this fake stock market nose dives in the next year it will less likely be a moderate anyway.

Why do the Clinton and Bush families have continual power? Because people are stupid. Really, very stupid.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 09:03:21 PM »
Santorum doesn't have a snowball's chance.  Huckabee?  I doubt it, be he's probably more viable than Santorum. 

In 1997, nobody thought a kenyan-born state senator with terr'ist connections and zero resume could make it to national senate then win the white house twice.

Yeah, santorum is kooky at times, but he has a few things going for him.

he's mature.  VERY mature.  He's been around long enough.  He has gravitas.  He doesn't smirk and giggle when he's uncomfortable.  He can own a room or stage.

He LED pretty late in the game in 2012, didn't he?  made a run when Cain and Newt did?  He could have won it... romney just caught fire last, it could have been any of them.  Santorum peaked too soon.  he led Romney in February.  If he leads in March, he wins the nomination.  So it's completely possible.

He's had loss.  Lost a child.  He isn't pampered, he isn't soft, he wasn't born with silver spoon in his mouth.   he's tough, way tougher than a rubio or rand.  he's made his own way in the world, son of a coal miner.  Didn't grow up in a mansion like jeb. 

He knows iowa.  I believe he visited all 99 counties for 2012, and finished 19 votes ahead of Romney, who spent a ton of $ there.   

Base loves him.  If he can be nice and keep moderates, pull over some former obama supporters, it coudl get interesting :)

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 09:04:42 PM »
LOVE.. how you guys are always stuck choosing between two parties that are EXACTLY THE FKIN SAME  ----

ahhh... the illusion of choice..

carry on sheeple

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 09:08:34 PM »
And I'm a little tired of "conservatives" on getbig telling us that RINOS can win, but a far-right candidate cannot.

Reagan, Bush1, Bush2, they were WAY more conservative than moderate.
Romney and Mccain were moderates all the way.   Results are all that matter.
All of you saying Christie that, Jeb this... seriously, stop falling for the latest FOX news fad and choose someone who is SMART, has a record of supporting family values, and is fiscally responsible in his voting record - in other words, Santorum :)

More on Santorum... he won 11 primaries.  He has an MBA, and toney on getbig likes a Business president.   A law degree too.   He's smart, very smart.  Decent looking family. he writes books and produces childrens films.  

Smart with $ too -
The National Taxpayers Union, a fiscal conservative organization, gave Santorum an "A-" score for his votes on fiscal issues, meaning that he was one of "the strongest supporters of responsible tax and spending policies" during his tenure, and ranked fifth in the group's rankings out of 50 senators who served at the same time.[38]

Only an IDIOT would look at Santorum's history... and the LIBERAL AGENDA that christie practiced for years, and say Christie would be better for GOP ideals. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 09:46:21 PM »
ick Santorum Is Kinda Coming Back for 2016

Ben Jacobs

Four years after winning Iowa, the former senator is struggling to crack 6 percent in the 2016 GOP field—and maybe that’s right where he wants to be. But why is he bashing Reagan?

Among potential Republican presidential contenders in the 2016 Iowa caucuses, Rick Santorum is polling at around 6 percent. He’s mired behind more than half-dozen candidates, some of whom have never campaigned the Hawkeye State, let alone won the first in the nation caucuses. But while the former Pennsylvania senator may not be in an ideal position for a presidential hopeful, he’s still light years beyond where he was was at this time four years ago.

Indeed, Santorum didn’t start regularly cracking the 6 percent mark in polls until December 2011, just a month before the caucuses. That was after spending more than a year going back and forth across the state, where he boasted about visiting all 99 counties.

On Friday night, the former Pennsylvania senator tried to jump-start a return to the top of the polls in front of a crowd of about 125 at a picnic in Boone, Iowa, held by the county Republican Party. Santorum arrived long after the event had started, as an array of election officials and candidates took turns delivering stem winders to rally the party faithful who had gathered for a barbecue dinner in a city park on a pleasant August evening. He emerged from the parking lot with a grin on his face and stuck his hands in his pockets as he loped toward the event, just waiting for someone to recognize him. After so many months in 2011 of toiling in anonymity before crowds of five or 10 people, he was appearing effortlessly before scores of key Republican activists, including Gov. Terry Branstad and Rep. Steve King. But the event didn’t pause for Santorum. Instead, after about 30 or 45 seconds, two women helping to organize the picnic went up to him, welcoming him and taking him off to the side to meet and greet the other organizers.
Both Friday night in Boone and at the bigger Family Leader Summit on Saturday in Ames, Santorum gave what has become his standard stump speech, focusing on themes from his book Blue Collar Conservatives. But unlike some other GOP presidential hopefuls, he appeared more focused on using his book to promote his potential candidacy than the other way around.

more
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/08/12/rick-santorum-is-kinda-coming-back-for-2016.html

Skeeter

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 04:52:54 AM »

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 04:59:55 AM »
And I'm a little tired of "conservatives" on getbig telling us that RINOS can win, but a far-right candidate cannot.

You are nuts and I know you are just trolling with this ridiculous thread.

Anyone who has been on this board long enough knows you are not a conservative and will vote for the dumocratic party no matter what.

You must be bored.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 07:56:46 AM »
You are nuts and I know you are just trolling with this ridiculous thread.

Anyone who has been on this board long enough knows you are not a conservative and will vote for the dumocratic party no matter what.

You must be bored.

Starting to agree with this.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 08:30:03 AM »
There are two demographics that will determine the next election: Working/middle-class white men and married white women.

If Rick Santorum can get the conserative base on his side, with an uptick on those two spots, he is our next president.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2014, 08:40:19 AM »
There are two demographics that will determine the next election: Working/middle-class white men and married white women.

If Rick Santorum can get the conserative base on his side, with an uptick on those two spots, he is our next president.

Why are you posting here now?  You know you are not supposed to post until I am traveling.  Isn't that how it has been for the last nine months?  I leave, you appear.  I return, you vanish.  Like a physical manifestation of an acute bipolar disorder.  (yours, not mine).   Seriously, didn't you get the memo on my travel plans?  You gotta work a bit harder if we are going to keep this gimmick going. 

PS Brock/Cena will end up being a screwy finish.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 08:41:41 AM »

Christie will be eaten alive by the Obama photo opps and he will lose his cool in debates. Romney won't run again, even after he was dead on about foreign policy last time. Huckabee is just annoying in an unwanted guidance counselor sort of way. There's no force in his words. I don't care for Jeb but he has star power and can put on the act at will. In what way would Jeb be more overhyped than Hillary? Being Governor is better than holding positions where nothing was done only to scurry off when some heat comes along.

If the news starts reporting actual economic numbers and this fake stock market nose dives in the next year it will less likely be a moderate anyway.

Why do the Clinton and Bush families have continual power? Because people are stupid. Really, very stupid.

I don't know man. I'm not seeing it but you might be on to something.

I think that people are probably just tired of the Bush family but that last statement is very true as well and the guy does seem to have a bit of charisma playing the ass kisser role and that seems to go far with the people as well.

Shit can change very quickly on that Primary debate stage and he could very well take advantage of it.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014, 08:46:16 AM »
Why are you posting here now?  You know you are not supposed to post until I am traveling.  Isn't that how it has been for the last nine months?  I leave, you appear.  I return, you vanish.  Like a physical manifestation of an acute bipolar disorder.  (yours, not mine).   Seriously, didn't you get the memo on my travel plans?  You gotta work a bit harder if we are going to keep this gimmick going. 

PS Brock/Cena will end up being a screwy finish.

Nope. Or did you forget that you posted on my thread about Lesnar ending Undertaker's Streak and on my WM 30 pics overall?

;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2014, 09:29:40 AM »

Reagan, Bush1, Bush2, they were WAY more conservative than moderate.
Romney and Mccain were moderates all the way.   Results are all that matter.
All of you saying Christie that, Jeb this... seriously, stop falling for the latest FOX news fad and choose someone who is SMART, has a record of supporting family values, and is fiscally responsible in his voting record - in other words, Santorum :)

More on Santorum... he won 11 primaries.  He has an MBA, and toney on getbig likes a Business president.   A law degree too.   He's smart, very smart.  Decent looking family. he writes books and produces childrens films.  

Smart with $ too -
The National Taxpayers Union, a fiscal conservative organization, gave Santorum an "A-" score for his votes on fiscal issues, meaning that he was one of "the strongest supporters of responsible tax and spending policies" during his tenure, and ranked fifth in the group's rankings out of 50 senators who served at the same time.[38]

Only an IDIOT would look at Santorum's history... and the LIBERAL AGENDA that christie practiced for years, and say Christie would be better for GOP ideals. 

Trolls gonna troll.

its gonna be mitt 80%, with maybe a 20% chance it is ron paul.

everyone else, nope.

santorum would be DESTROYED in a national election.  He acts like John kerry without all the coolness.